PDA

View Full Version : Incorporating Muskets <3.5 Campaign>

Tokuhara
2010-12-29, 02:30 PM
I'm going to be running a campiagn while my friend is off at college. I plan on it being themed around a corrupt Human industrial giant who deals in slavery, and is upseting the natural balance, using mages to power their factories.

The idea is that the players will be working with a resistance unit to restore balance, and that blackpowder-like weapons have been around 100 years.

However, D&D core books barely cover these weapons to the degree I'd need them, so here's my thoughts:

Pistol- Roughly same damage as a Short Sword, requires a move action to reload

Musket- Roughly same damage as a Longsword, requires a Standard action to reload

Blunderbuss- Same as a Musket, but reduces opponent's AC by 2 and requires Exotic Proficiency

Hand Cannon- Roughly same damage as a Greatsword, but requires Exotic Weapon Proficiency, requires Full-Round Action to reload

All Blackpowder Weapons- Must roll a d% before you attack. A roll of <50 means you have a Flash in the Pan (weapon malfunctions)

Rapid Reload reduces the reload time by one step.

is this a good idea on how to do this, or is there a better, already designed system?

Vulaas
2010-12-29, 02:53 PM
The Iron Kingdoms sourcebook (by Privateer Press) is great one for providing rules for various sorts of black-powder era weaponry.

SilverLeaf167
2010-12-29, 03:05 PM
Does the blunderbuss simply have an effective +2 to hit, or does it lower the target's AC every time it hits?

Grommen
2010-12-29, 03:13 PM
Look around their are many third party sources for black powder weapons.

I've been using them in my campaigns for about a year and and a half now.

Honestly do to the way D&D is played. They are not worth using. They kinda combine the worst of range weapons with the inability to fire multiple times. This is not a problem when no one gets a second attack in a combat round. And at very low levels (say 1st - 3rd) they work just like they should. BANG! something is dead. Once everyone has hit points, guns become next to useless.

D20 modern handles firearms in a slightly different way, making people make fort saves if the damage dealt exceeds your CON score. Wile I have considered adding this to my Pathfinder/3.5 games. In reality I think I would turn my game from swords and sorcery to Guns and Ammo.

Your mileage may differ however. But that is my experience.

That said their is very little as satisfying as shooting the BBEG in the face with a big honken' hand held cannon of DOOM. :smallbiggrin:

Tyndmyr
2010-12-29, 03:20 PM
is this a good idea on how to do this, or is there a better, already designed system?

Step 1. Find the D20 modern core rulebook.

Step 2. Shamelessly crib firearms feats, proficiencies, and weapon stats. Also, use the D20 massive damage rules, for firearms only.

Step 3. Ignore everything with the word "autofire" in it. Unless it's THAT kind of a campaign.

You are now done.

Tokuhara
2010-12-29, 03:25 PM
So in simple english, Guns=bad?

Volos
2010-12-29, 03:27 PM
Pathfinder has a decent ruleset for firearms from their Pathfinder Chronicles Campaign Setting. But there are rules for firearms in the Dungeon Master Guide. Were they not to your liking?

Tyndmyr
2010-12-29, 03:29 PM
So in simple english, Guns=bad?

Nah, guns are great. If you enjoy guns. Just be aware that players will attempt to make devices like a gauntlet with a gun built into it that automatically fires when you punch things.

Personally, I consider this a good thing. Other opinions may vary.

Tokuhara
2010-12-29, 03:33 PM
Nah, guns are great. If you enjoy guns. Just be aware that players will attempt to make devices like a gauntlet with a gun built into it that automatically fires when you punch things.

Personally, I consider this a good thing. Other opinions may vary.

My players arent that creative... Though we turned a barrel of sake, the party warforged, and a torch into a primative flamethrower

randomhero00
2010-12-29, 03:40 PM
Dude, just make them up. Its far easier that way. And ya know, ya can? Because you're the DM.