PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Warmage rework

pilvento
2010-12-29, 03:47 PM
so, i was going to build a warmage / ruthari battlemage (EDIT: unaprochable east) focus stats in str, int and con. but now i realize that Warmage edge feature works with INT but warmage uses CHA. I was like "o no! MAD again"

u think i can ask my DM to use int as casting stat? (since Warmage description says warmages studi and practice ther techniques)

Bang!
2010-12-29, 03:55 PM
Of course you can ask.

I wouldn't allow it because I like classes to benefit differently from different stats, but it will probably depend on your DM's preferred power level.

gbprime
2010-12-29, 03:56 PM
You can always ask your DM for house rules, sure. Just be prepared for the answer to be "no" or for it to cost you a feat.

Forged Fury
2010-12-29, 04:03 PM
ruthari battlemage (eberron)
Ruthari Battlemage is Eberron? What book is that in, I don't recall ever seeing it.

Greenish
2010-12-29, 04:05 PM
so, i was going to build a warmage / ruthari battlemage (eberron) focus stats in str, int and con.Are you sure Raumathari Battlemage is from Eberron? :smallamused:

It's not that great gish PrC anyhow.

Bang!
2010-12-29, 04:06 PM
Ruthari Battlemage is Eberron? What book is that in, I don't recall ever seeing it..
I'm not sure what book it's from, but it's online (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20030413c).
It used to be a staple in arcane gish builds, but it doesn't seem to turn up much anymore.

Forged Fury
2010-12-29, 04:09 PM
Thanks, four words in and I figured out it was Forgotten Realms. I guess the OP is saying it is being reflavored for Eberron. Not a big deal, just have to change a prereq or two.

Edit: That thing looks to have become obsolete around the time of the Duskblade (or Spellsword for that matter).

Edit Again: LOL, d4 HD and a major feature is channeling a spell through your weapon. Stellar idea... /sarcasm

Greenish
2010-12-29, 04:12 PM
I'm not sure what book it's from, but it's online (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20030413c).It's from Unapproachable East, which is a Forgotten Realms book.

pilvento
2010-12-29, 04:22 PM
Thanks, four words in and I figured out it was Forgotten Realms. I guess the OP is saying it is being reflavored for Eberron. Not a big deal, just have to change a prereq or two.

Edit: That thing looks to have become obsolete around the time of the Duskblade (or Spellsword for that matter).

Edit Again: LOL, d4 HD and a major feature is channeling a spell through your weapon. Stellar idea... /sarcasm

yes my bad, i got confused since the campaing seting is eberron

pilvento
2010-12-29, 04:28 PM
Of course you can ask.

I wouldn't allow it because I like classes to benefit differently from different stats, but it will probably depend on your DM's preferred power level.

the idea is to go for a mele gish and i want to avoid te 20 lvls duskblade. i love the idea of reaching lvl 9spells and the idea of having only ofensive spells. its a pain in the ass to rise a stat just for 1 single feature (warmage edge) since ill need lots of STR and good CON too.

Bang!
2010-12-29, 04:29 PM
its a pain in the ass to rise a stat just for 1 single feature (warmage edge) since ill need lots of STR and good CON too.

You don't need to maximize Warmage Edge. Wizards chuck Orbs of X just fine without it. Think of it as a bonus, not a requirement.

pilvento
2010-12-29, 04:33 PM
You don't need to maximize Warmage Edge. Wizards chuck Orbs of X just fine without it. Think of it as a bonus, not a requirement.

yes, but the idea of more flat dmg bonus is so cool... ill ask him anyway and spect the "no"... or not!?

Greenish
2010-12-29, 04:35 PM
the idea is to go for a mele gish and i want to avoid te 20 lvls duskblade. i love the idea of reaching lvl 9spells and the idea of having only ofensive spells.There are plenty of options to duskblade 20.

Say, for example, if you can swallow being a paladin, sorcadin* is a very beautiful build that gets 16 BAB and 9th level spells (and being a sorcerer, can pick up just offensive spells, including the awesome Wings of Flurry).

*Standard "sorcadin": paladin 2/sorcerer 4/spellsword 1/abjurant champion 5/sacred exorcist 8.

Gwillednt
2010-12-29, 04:37 PM
yes, but the idea of more flat dmg bonus is so cool... ill ask him anyway and spect the "no"... or not!?

Pray he says yes. Warmages are just not good compared to wizards or even sorcerors, I don't understand why a DM wouldn't want to help improve it, especially if there are other tier 1's in your party.

Now if you're the only caster at all, then I might see him saying no. or if he doesn't understand just how much less powerful warmage is than the even most third tier classes..

MammonAzrael
2010-12-29, 04:38 PM
I'd say no. But then, Warmage isn't that strong to begin with. And Warmage's Edge isn't really something to write home about, sadly. So maybe your DM will let it slide...

You might want to look at something like Swiftblade as a gish build PrC, if you aren't too tied to the Raumathari Battlemage.

pilvento
2010-12-29, 04:43 PM
I'd say no. But then, Warmage isn't that strong to begin with. And Warmage's Edge isn't really something to write home about, sadly. So maybe your DM will let it slide...

You might want to look at something like Swiftblade as a gish build PrC, if you aren't too tied to the Raumathari Battlemage.

Last campaing i played monk/sorcerer/swiftblade/abjurantchamp thats why i want to play something diferent this time. less fast/squishi/beautifull (DEX/CHA) and more strong/resistant/smart (STR/CON/INT). Focus on more blasting spells and less buffs and battlefield control.

Pechvarry
2010-12-29, 05:05 PM
Raumathari is so obviously a 1st generation gish PrC. At least you only drop 1 spellcasting level.

Can anyone find any good abuses for the ability to ignore material components of 50 GP or less?

I've actually been thinking about how much I'd like to play a good, blasty gish too, recently. Not one that focuses on self buffs so much. In this regard, Duskblade fails unless your DM interprets "channels any touch spell" as including ranged touch. If your DM says they come in touch and ranged touch flavors, then an out-of-the-box duskblade channels remarkably little.

It's probably not what you want to hear, but it may be easier to convince your DM to base Warmage Edge off of Charisma, since it's the more important stat of the 2 for them, normally.

Ooo idea! If your DM doesn't like Edge + casting on the same set, convince him/her to let you make a feat to base Warmage Edge off of CON, with your CON bonus representing the limit of extra magical energy you can channel through your body.

Greenish
2010-12-29, 05:06 PM
I've actually been thinking about how much I'd like to play a good, blasty gish too, recently. Not one that focuses on self buffs so much.Ardent tashatalora with Energy Mantle.

pilvento
2010-12-29, 05:09 PM
Ardent tashatalora with Energy Mantle.

and that means? sry im stupid :smalltongue:

Pechvarry
2010-12-29, 05:12 PM
He means play a psychic character instead, and buy that book that I've never actually seen. (Secrets of Sarlona, I believe)

gbprime
2010-12-29, 05:13 PM
well if you DO gish up a Warmage, make sure you take a level or two in Sanctified One of Kord (Complete Champion) once you get some BAB under your belt. it takes BAB 7 to qualify (and some skills) and you lose a caster level right off, but you gain the ability to change all your fire damage into untyped damage for free.

Greenish
2010-12-29, 05:20 PM
and that means? sry im stupid :smalltongue:Ardent is a wis-based manifester (psionics user) class from Complete Psionic. It picks up "mantles", which work much like domains for cleric, and can choose powers (psionic spells) from the mantles it has. Energy mantle holds many of the tastiest blasting powers.

Tashalatora is a feat for combining a monk and a psionic class from Secrets of Sarlona. It allows the levels in a psionic class to advance monk's AC, unarmed damage and flurry.

So, in short, a gishy blaster.

pilvento
2010-12-29, 10:36 PM
well if you DO gish up a Warmage, make sure you take a level or two in Sanctified One of Kord (Complete Champion) once you get some BAB under your belt. it takes BAB 7 to qualify (and some skills) and you lose a caster level right off, but you gain the ability to change all your fire damage into untyped damage for free.

yes, i really DO. and more than untyped damage i get divine good alinged dmg. and the campaing we are playing will be against Demons so...

Thespianus
2010-12-30, 05:58 AM
so, i was going to build a warmage / ruthari battlemage (EDIT: unaprochable east) focus stats in str, int and con. but now i realize that Warmage edge feature works with INT but warmage uses CHA. I was like "o no! MAD again"

Is there a special reason you want to focus on INT?

Otherwise, you can ask to get Warmage Edge to key off CHA, instead, which I think would go over more easily.

EDIT: *facepalm* Again, read whole thread before posting. Someone already suggested this.

pilvento
2010-12-30, 03:41 PM
thanks for all the help, we are goning to test diferent builds for the warmage gish this saturday, INT and CHA. after that the DM will decide how will it be played in the long term campaing

Tyndmyr
2010-12-30, 03:45 PM

u think i can ask my DM to use int as casting stat? (since Warmage description says warmages studi and practice ther techniques)

Go for it. Alternatively, ask your DM if you can have warmage edge use cha. Ask for that second though, cause int is a great casting stat.

If not...ignore int, and stay nice and SAD with cha. All int gives you is the poorly-scaling warmage edge(a whopping +int mod dmg to spells? Meh) and bonus spell slots. You're basically a sorc. Bonus spell slots are not a big deal.

pilvento
2010-12-30, 03:55 PM
ok one last question please. if DM agrees and says "ok pilvento, u can use the same stat for edge and casting do u prefer int or cha"

Which stat do u prefer for spellcasting? remember this is a mele gish, and knowledge devotion cant be chosen (the cloister cleric was faster than me).

cleric will have lots of knowledges and we have a bard for the social isues.

Forged Fury
2010-12-30, 03:58 PM
If you have a Bard doing social stuff, take Int. You can always find skills on which to spend skill points.

Bang!
2010-12-30, 04:34 PM
This is probably the one case I'd pick Cha over Int.
Beside UMD and Intimidate, those skill lists are terrible.

MammonAzrael
2010-12-30, 05:30 PM
Do you plan on using UMD much? If so the Cha is probably the right choice. Otherwise stick with Int. Even with a poor skill list you can pick up cross class skills.

Do you want a smart person that hits things with the pointy end, or a personable person that hits things with the pointy end? :smalltongue:

Seffbasilisk
2010-12-30, 05:47 PM
If you don't go for stat swaps, a BaB boost is also seen as a good fix.

pilvento
2010-12-30, 09:02 PM
sry again but... UMD? :smalltongue:

Greenish
2010-12-30, 09:19 PM
sry again but... UMD? :smalltongue:Use Magic Device, the skill.

[Edit]: Common Acronyms, Abbreviations, and Terms (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18512)

pilvento
2010-12-30, 11:21 PM
oh that, ty

Tyndmyr
2010-12-30, 11:35 PM
This is probably the one case I'd pick Cha over Int.
Beside UMD and Intimidate, those skill lists are terrible.

Honestly, if UMD is on ANY skill list, Im happy. The class might give me 2 skills a level, and UMD is the only class skill, but I'd still be satisfied with it. It's a freaking awesome skill.

This is also part of why warlock is so underrated.

pilvento
2010-12-30, 11:39 PM
talked to dm, stats will be meld, BaB will be rised to 3/4. mission acomplished