PDA

View Full Version : Exterminatus. Planescape style.

druid91
2010-12-29, 07:22 PM
So I'm thinking about developing an epic spell with similar effects to the Imperiums Virus bomb.

So far I was thinking the spell seeds Energy, Life, and destroy. Maybe conjure instead of Energy. With a follow up energy spell to ignite the materials.

I thought about using living lightning as a base as it is the only one I know of that spreads, But it just doesn't have the scale that I want. I want it to, barring protections to kill everything. I even considered throwing in dispel to go through things like walls of force, and other anti-magic magic barriers.

Wings of Peace
2010-12-29, 07:29 PM
This is different from your approach but worth considering, you could also carpet bomb the planet using the Locate City bomb. The bomb works by combining the spell Locate City (Races of Destiny) with the Born of Three Thunders metamagic (Complete Arcane) and the Exploding Spell metamagic (Complete Arcane).

druid91
2010-12-29, 07:56 PM
The main problem with that is it relies heavily on DM lenience.

Besides it can't be aimed anywhere that isn't a city.

Wings of Peace
2010-12-29, 08:15 PM
The main problem with that is it relies heavily on DM lenience.

Besides it can't be aimed anywhere that isn't a city.

While I will secede to the DM clause, it can actually (counter intuitively) be used anywhere whether a city is present or not. The effect is centered on yourself.

druid91
2010-12-29, 08:16 PM
Wait so the blast continues until it reaches a city?

Flickerdart
2010-12-29, 08:19 PM
Wait so the blast continues until it reaches a city?
No. The blast occurs regardless of a city's presence, and the spell tells you separately whether there was a city within your spell radius.

Coidzor
2010-12-29, 08:20 PM
Epic magic and plane-killing magic both rely heavily on DM approval anyway. Though on the bright side you're not asking to create mechanics by which the plane itself is destroyed. I'm pretty sure that'd get Mechanus Bot to squish you.

Though this thread has reminded me of a delightful little idea to test out the Abyss with Anti-osmium bombs on each layer, as a combination ultimate gnomish prank and attempt to map out the abyss.

Sadly, all I see are obstacles to getting this to work rather than solutions... Seems like it'd leave undead and elementals and constructs unscathed as long as they resisted the energy damage component.

And really, you want sonic for the energy damage component to get through solid barriers.

druid91
2010-12-29, 08:26 PM
Of course they would be "Alive" in a barren wasteland completely devoid of life.

Coidzor
2010-12-29, 08:52 PM
Of course they would be "Alive" in a barren wasteland completely devoid of life.

But they would still be alive. And unless you manage to get a favorable arrangement with your DM, the secondary effect's not going to cause that much devastation to objects.

It still isn't completely eliminating everything on the plane, but whether this matters depends upon your reason for doing it in the first place.

So, what's your reason and real goal here?

druid91
2010-12-29, 08:57 PM
Planar real estate, Basically empty the place and sell it off afterwards. That and to tick off the imp.

And for the lols.:smallbiggrin:

Alleran
2010-12-29, 10:31 PM
One option is to create an Extinction-level event through use of Epic spells. Creating a big enough super-volcano should do it, for example, as the ash and smoke that it spews into the sky would utterly wreck the environmental balance of the world and render it uninhabitable.