PDA

View Full Version : Wookiees! (PEACH)

LOTRfan
2010-12-29, 11:33 PM
Once again, boredom has driven me to homebrew. This time, the Wookiees from Star Wars have been statted. At the moment, I've pegged them as either a high LA +1 or low LA +2 race. I'll let you guys decided which is more appropriate.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20061128184736/starwars/images/5/57/ThreeWookieeAmigos-ROTSVD.jpg

Deep in the most ancient of jungles are the Wookiees, an arboreal race who build their homes in the miles-high Wroshyr trees. Living in small communities of roughly 400-800, Wookiees are hunter gatherers who live in wooden homes. Despite their rather primitive appearance and lifestyle, Wookiees are fairly advanced. They have married the two concepts of nature and technology, building their towns by shaping the trees themselves, and adding technology to their standard weapons.

Personality: Wookiees tend to be loyal and trustworthy. They

Physical Description: Wookiees are furry creatures, similar to arboreal versions of the artic yeti. They are roughly seven feet tall,

Relations: Wookiees have had a troubled history with other humanoids. Many human armies have invaded Kashyyyk and attempted to enslave them, often succeeding for years at a time. Elves, who often share their habitat with Wookiees, dare not climb as high as their furry neighbors, and thus they rarely see each other. Gnomes are rarely looked upon with respect, but rather annoying pests who may only be tolerated if they agree to stop their incessant pranks. Wookiees often see Half-Orcs as relatable, as both races are heavily persecuted by humans. While they are at capable of cooperation with these races, there is one that they cannot stand: Lizardfolk. Wookiees have a racial hatred towards them, as they often attacked each other when Wookiees still lived on the forest floors.

Alignment:

Religion:

Languages:

Names:

Adventurers:

Wookiee (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Wookiee) Racial Traits
+2 Strength, +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma. Wookiees are a strong and resilient people, but are very impatient and foul-tempered.
Medium Humanoid (Wookiee)
Base Speed 30 ft.
Climb Speed 20 ft. Wookiees must make a Climb check to climb any wall or slope with a DC of more than 0, but they always can choose to take 10 even if rushed or threatened while climbing. The Wookiee climbs at the given speed while climbing. If he chooses an accelerated climb it moves at double the given climb speed (or his base land speed, whichever is lower) and makes a single Climb check at a -5 penalty. Wookiees cannot run while climbing. He retains its Dexterity bonus to Armor Class (if any) while climbing, and opponents get no special bonus on their attacks against a climbing creature.
2 Claw Attacks (1d4 damage). Wookiee society sees the use of their claws as weapons as savage, and it is taboo to use them in any sort of combat. Such transgressors are labeled "Madclaws" and banished from their civilization.As a result, Wookiees are not proficient with their claw attacks.
+4 racial bonus on Intimidate checks.
Powerful Build (Ex): The physical stature of Wookiees lets them function in many ways as if they are large creatures. Whenever a Wookiee is subject to a size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the Wookiee is treated as one size category larger if doing so is advantageous to him. A Wookiee is also considered to be on size category larger when determining a creature's special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A Wookiee can use weapons designed for a creature one category larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remains those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with all effects that change the subject's size category.
Weapon Familiarity: Wookiees treat Bowcasters and Ryyk Blades as martial weapons instead of exotic weapons.
Automatic Languages: Shyriiwook, Common (understand only). Bonus Languages: Xaczik, Thykarann, Yuan-Ti.
Favored Class: Fighter
Level Adjustment: +1

Equipment
{table=head] Exotic Weapons | Cost | Dmg (S) | Dmg (M) | Damage (L) | Critical | Range Increment | Weight | Type
Bowcaster | 200 cr | 1d8+1d8* | 2d6+1d8* | 3d6+1d8* | 20/x2 | 100 ft. | 4 kg | Piercing/Laser Energy*
Quarrels, Bowcaster | 1 cr | --- | --- | --- | --- | --- | .5 kg | ---
Ryyk Blade | 20 cr | 1d3 | 1d4 | 1d6 | 19-20/x2 | --- | 1.5 kg | Slashing[/table]
*For all intents and purposes, Laser energy is untyped damage. The damage marked with an asterisk is the laser damage. All other damage is piercing.

Bowcaster: Bowcasters are highly sophisticated kinetic energy weapons that envelope quarrels in laser energy. This allows greater damage than most normal quarrels. Polarizing orbs at the front of the bow generates the magnetic field necessary to accelerate the quarrels. Each clip holds six quarrels. Reloading the bowcaster is a standard action. Because of its awkward size and design, few non-Wookiees master the bowcaster. A Wookiee's strength modifier is added to the weapon. Bowcasters are treated as crossbows for the effects of any feats.

Ryyk Blades: Ryyk blades are small, dagger-like curved light weapons. Designed to fit easily into one hand, Ryyk Blades are most effective when dual-wielded. When wielded together, the penalty for dual wielding lessens by an addition 2 (which means a -2, -6 penalty, as both are light weapons. Combined with the Two-Weapon Fighting feat, there is no penalty at all).

Languages
{table=head] Language | Script
Shyriiwook | Shyriiwook
Xaczik | Shyriiwook
Thykaran | Common[/table]

Shyriiwook: Shyriiwook is the main language of the Wookiees. It is composed of guttural barking, roaring, and howling. Many find this language intimidating and difficult to understand. With much practice, other humanoids can understand (but not speak) Shyriiwook.

Xaczik: Most people assume that all the barking languages of the Wookiees are the same. Those people are mistaken. One language, native to the Wookiees of coastal regions, is so unknown that Wookiees often use it to speak to one another in the presence of enemies, as a form of unbreakable code. Even those who understand Shyriiwook have difficulty understanding it.

Thykaran: Thykaran is a Wookiee language developed after first contact with other humanoids. This language is the most similar to common, and all humanoids capable of speaking Common can learn it. Thykaran is restricted to spreading simple ideas, however, and is usually used to state things rather than to engage in deep conversation.

Wookiee, 1st Level Warrior
Medium Humanoid (Wookiee)
Hit Dice: 1d8+2 (6 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 20 ft. (base speed 30 ft.), Climb 20 ft.
Armor Class: 13 (+3 hide armor), touch 10, flat footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+7
Attack: Large Ryyk Blade +3 melee (1d6+2 damage)
Full Attack: Large Ryyk Blade +3 melee (1d6+2 damage)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: ---
Special Qualities: Wookiee traits
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +0, Will +1
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 11, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 6
Skills: Climb +10, Intimidate +4, Listen +2
Feats: Iron Will
Environment: Warm Forest
Organization: Solitary, Pair, Family (4-8), or Village (400-800 plus 1 5th level leader per 100 adults plus 30% noncombatants)
Challenge Rating: 1
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Often Chaotic (any)
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: +1

A hulking furred humanoid descends from the huge trees above, brandishing two curved swords.

Kobold-Bard
2010-12-30, 04:15 PM
So you give them claws and then tell them they can't use them without being an outcast? :smallconfused:

And why the Wookie subtype? What does it do?

I'd also give them Ranger over Fighter as a Favoured Class.

hamishspence
2010-12-30, 04:18 PM
Maybe Wookiee subtype grants them the ability to take Wookiee-only feats, which will come later?

Kobold-Bard
2010-12-30, 04:19 PM
Maybe Wookiee subtype grants them the ability to take Wookiee-only feats, which will come later?

Perhaps, but even then simply being the Wookie race should be enough for that.

hamishspence
2010-12-30, 04:23 PM
True- still, maybe it's traditional to make up a subtype to distinguish it from other humanoids.

Mulletmanalive
2010-12-30, 04:33 PM
Errr...guys, all humanoids, with the exception of some of the psionic ones [for whatever reason] have a racial subtype.

Humanoid (human), Humanoid (elf) etc.

On the actual race, wookies consider it a sign of insanity to use your climbing claws to fight, so they shouldn't be proficient with them.

Zeta Kai
2010-12-30, 04:38 PM
This is clearly an LA+1 race. They just don't have enough benefits to justify LA+2. Compare to the goliath, the original Powerful Build race from Races of Stone. The stats here aren't bad, they're just not worth an extra LA.

Kobold-Bard
2010-12-30, 04:39 PM
Errr...guys, all humanoids, with the exception of some of the psionic ones [for whatever reason] have a racial subtype.

Humanoid (human), Humanoid (elf) etc.

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/8411/890469-star_wars_yoda_orly_super.jpg

I didn't know that, feel free to disregard that point then.

Spiryt
2010-12-30, 04:55 PM
Definitely too weak for LA + 2

Also:

but are often persecuted against and misunderstood

I don't think that's really good description for having bad Charisma - abilities are, by definition creature's own physical and mental characteristics, not any sort of others behavior towards it.

Kinda minor, but yeah.

LOTRfan
2010-12-30, 06:34 PM
I'd also give them Ranger over Fighter as a Favoured Class.

Good point, hunting and knowing the wilderness are considerably necessary skills to survive Kashyyyk.

Errr...guys, all humanoids, with the exception of some of the psionic ones [for whatever reason] have a racial subtype

That was my reasoning. I was originally going to make them monstrous humanoids with no subtype, but they didn't seem, well, monstrous enough.

On the actual race, wookies consider it a sign of insanity to use your climbing claws to fight, so they shouldn't be proficient with them.

Makes sense, I added that in.

This is clearly an LA+1 race. They just don't have enough benefits to justify LA+2. Compare to the goliath, the original Powerful Build race from Races of Stone. The stats here aren't bad, they're just not worth an extra LA.

Alright, then, LA +1 it is.

I don't think that's really good description for having bad Charisma - abilities are, by definition creature's own physical and mental characteristics, not any sort of others behavior towards it.

Kinda minor, but yeah.

Alright, then, changed the description so that the -2 Charisma reflects their generally foul-tempered and impatient attitudes.

I'll be adding descriptions to the exotic weapons later today, because as is, no one would waste a feat to become proficient with ryyk blades.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-12-30, 07:10 PM

Then shouldn't they get a climb speed? (Or a much higher racial climb bonus) And considering they have a -2 to Charisma, a +2 to Intimidate doesn't fit. It should be a +4. (IMO)

Wardog
2010-12-30, 07:35 PM
Would an inate rage/berserk-like ability be appropriate?

Jallorn
2010-12-30, 08:07 PM
If I was you, I'd look at the Wookies from Star Wars Saga. Just for comparison.

LOTRfan
2010-12-30, 08:14 PM
Then shouldn't they get a climb speed? (Or a much higher racial climb bonus) And considering they have a -2 to Charisma, a +2 to Intimidate doesn't fit. It should be a +4. (IMO)

Bonus shall increase to +4. They already have a climb speed, though.

I don't actually own any of those books, so I can't really compare them.

Mulletmanalive
2010-12-30, 08:14 PM

They do have a climb speed of 20ft. I'm never sure if we should note that they get the +8 bonus to climb and can take 10 on checks even while threatened in the text...

LOTRfan it's probably best to move the climb speed to it's own section and note all ther pertinant bits there. Also, with the climb speed's +8 bonus, you they probably don't need any more.

In fairness, the earlier novels basically described them like REALLY badass sloths...

LOTRfan
2010-12-30, 08:15 PM
I'll make the necessary modifications. I forgot that swim/climb speeds give creatures a +8 racial bonus to the associated skill. :smallsigh:

AtlanteanTroll
2010-12-30, 10:22 PM
They already have a climb speed, though.
Not when I posted they didn't. (You added them in during you 8:18 edit yes?)

LOTRfan
2010-12-30, 11:53 PM
No, it was there since the first post. Originally, the climb speed was listed next to the base speed. In the 8:18 edit, I gave it its own bullet and listed the advantages of the climb speed. I could see how it could be easily skipped over because of that, though.

LOTRfan
2010-12-31, 10:24 AM
Sorry for the double post, added the weapon descriptions. Is lessening the penalty for dual wielding ryyk blades by two overpowered? I didn't think so, but than again I've never played a dual wield character.

Admiral Squish
2010-12-31, 10:54 AM
Two things:

1) What is laser energy? Is it force damage? Fire damage? Untyped damage? I think that the bowcaster should probably have a base damage that scales to represent the bolt itself being fired, then add a flat amount of energy damage to each shot. So, a small bowcaster would be (for example) 1d8+1d8 (energy type). The medium one would then be 2d6+1d8(energy type), and a large one 3d6+1d8(energy type). You should also mention that it counts as a crossbow for feats, and that you don't add your str to damage.

2) The weapons table should include Large weapons, since wookies have powerful build and would thus be able to use the large versions.

Other than those, this is awesome, and I approve. You may want to draw up some fluff for the wookie that would fit more cleanly with your average D&D setting.

LOTRfan
2010-12-31, 11:43 AM
Yes, for all intents and purposes for a D&D setting, laser damage is untyped. I'll add that in (all with all other things you mentioned for the bowcaster).

Thank you :smallsmile:. Fluff would probably be a good idea.

Kobold-Bard
2010-12-31, 11:52 AM
Maybe give them D&D languages?

hamishspence
2010-12-31, 11:53 AM
In DMG, lasers do untyped damage. In Star Munchkin they do fire damage.

I'm not sure what damage is suggested in D20 Future.

Spiryt
2010-12-31, 11:53 AM
Weapons need critical hit modifiers.

LOTRfan
2010-12-31, 11:54 AM
.... Lets see, they live in jungles, so, maybe Elf, Yuan-Ti, and Giant (understands only for all three)?

Weapons need critical hit modifiers.

I'll make that addition now. Perhaps 20/x2 for Bowcaster, and 19-20/x2 for Ryyk blades?

AtlanteanTroll
2010-12-31, 12:53 PM
.... Lets see, they live in jungles, so, maybe Elf, Yuan-Ti, and Giant (understands only for all three)?

I'd let them speak one. Not Elf. I've always (meaning since I've ever started thing about it. Read: ever since a minute ago) pictured Yuan-Ti as a "clicks" language, so I'd let them speak that one. Even though Yuan-Ti are sort of on the other end of the alignment spectrum. (Then again, you haven't statted out a Wookie Warrior, so I shouldn't say that.)

Admiral Squish
2010-12-31, 01:07 PM
Why not stick to the source? Give them their own language, then let them learn to understand other languages. Perhaps we could create a translating mask of some sort that translates wookie to common or other languages.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-12-31, 01:24 PM
Why not stick to the source? Give them their own language, then let them learn to understand other languages. Perhaps we could create a translating mask of some sort that translates wookie to common or other languages.

I don't think the problem was taking their language away, but giving them other non-Star Wars universe language options as Bonus Languages.

LOTRfan
2010-12-31, 01:34 PM
I'd let them speak one. Not Elf. I've always (meaning since I've ever started thing about it. Read: ever since a minute ago) pictured Yuan-Ti as a "clicks" language, so I'd let them speak that one. Even though Yuan-Ti are sort of on the other end of the alignment spectrum. (Then again, you haven't statted out a Wookie Warrior, so I shouldn't say that.)

I've think of Wookiees as Lawful Neutral. They have rich traditions that cannot be broken, and they enjoy their freedom, but they would prefer more than anything for other races to just leave them alone.

Anyways, as for the Yuan-Ti language, sure, why not? Dwarves can speak Goblin. I think bonus languages should have more to do with the inhabited area than alignment.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-12-31, 01:38 PM
I've think of Wookiees as Lawful Neutral. They have rich traditions that cannot be broken, and they enjoy their freedom, but they would prefer more than anything for other races to just leave them alone.
Thats different enough from Chaotic Evil by my standards.

Anyways, as for the Yuan-Ti language, sure, why not? Dwarves can speak Goblin. I think bonus languages should have more to do with the inhabited area than alignment.
*shrugs*

That makes sense actually. Go for it.

hamishspence
2010-12-31, 01:42 PM
"Traditions" as opposed to "laws" seem to be the preferred methods of holding Chaotic communities together. In Dragon Compendium, the Chaotic subtype outsiders called Diaboli, have little or nothing in the way of laws- but they still have traditions, taboos, and so on.

In the Dark Elf Trilogy- tradition was a big part of Dark Elf society- even though, at the time, they were considered Chaotic.

So maybe the traditionalist nature of the Wookiees might not be incompatible with them being Chaotic-leaning?

LOTRfan
2010-12-31, 01:50 PM
"Traditions" as opposed to "laws" seem to be the preferred methods of holding Chaotic communities together. In Dragon Compendium, the Chaotic subtype outsiders called Diaboli, have little or nothing in the way of laws- but they still have traditions, taboos, and so on.

In the Dark Elf Trilogy- tradition was a big part of Dark Elf society- even though, at the time, they were considered Chaotic.

So maybe the traditionalist nature of the Wookiees might not be incompatible with them being Chaotic-leaning?

Interesting... what exactly are Diaboli? You're a big fan of Star Wars, right (if I remember correctly from the Star Wars discussion thread)? What alignment would you peg the usually alignment as?

hamishspence
2010-12-31, 01:57 PM
Diaboli are natives of the Plane of Nightmares- which borders the Plane of Dreams and the Ethereal plane (and is worryingly close to the Far Realm).

Despite this- they have moderate Good tendencies- they'd probably count as Often Chaotic Good- Usually Chaotic (any).

They look a bit like Nightcrawler- only purplish rather than blueish- with white hair.

I like Star Wars (though am not as keen on some of the more OTT claims made about Star Wars tech, and prefer more minimalist authors), yes.

I'd probably put the Wookiees as Often Chaotic (any)- Chaotic wouldn't be hugely common- but it might be commoner than Lawful and Neutral- they never really come across as Lawful-leaning in the EU.

I'm not sure if they'd tend strongly to any of the three Chaotic alignments- so I thought Chaotic (any) (and Often, rather than Usually) would allow for plenty of variation.

LOTRfan
2010-12-31, 02:27 PM
Alright, makes sense. I guess I have to start working on a monster entry now, don't I? :smallsmile:

Closet_Skeleton
2010-12-31, 02:43 PM

For 3.5 you'd want the previous Star Wars system.

LOTRfan
2010-12-31, 02:45 PM
Star Wars Saga doesn't use the 3.5 rules?

AtlanteanTroll
2010-12-31, 02:49 PM
Alright, makes sense. I guess I have to start working on a monster entry now, don't I? :smallsmile:

Yep. 1 LA makes them CR 2 (as a level one warrior)?

Jjeinn-tae
2010-12-31, 03:02 PM
Star Wars Saga is relatively 4.0 styled, or at least that's the comparison I've heard, only played Saga myself.

LOTRfan
2010-12-31, 03:07 PM
Yep. 1 LA makes them CR 2 (as a level one warrior)?

Wouldn't it be CR 1, since LA +0 races are Cr 1/2?

Star Wars Saga is relatively 4.0 styled, or at least that's the comparison I've heard, only played Saga myself.

Oh, alright.

hamishspence
2010-12-31, 04:06 PM
Saga probably falls midway between 4E and 3.5 ed in style-

there are some 4E elements (the simpler skill system, among other things) but in general it seems half-way between the two.

Mulletmanalive
2010-12-31, 06:23 PM
Saga probably falls midway between 4E and 3.5 ed in style-

there are some 4E elements (the simpler skill system, among other things) but in general it seems half-way between the two.

Fairly predictable as the design teamm of two happily commented that they stole a lot of their rules simplifications for the 4e team in an interview. The skill system actually works pretty well in the star wars universe [where everyone can fix and pilot starships like the were 1960's cars...], for instance...

LOTRfan
2010-12-31, 09:32 PM
Bare minimum stats and part of the fluff is up. I probably won't be able to do much else until tomorrow.