PDA

View Full Version : So trying out OSRIC - Level 5 Magic User

Gralamin
2010-12-30, 03:47 AM
So my group is trying out OSRIC, and I would like a sanity check on my build (this is a One-shot, so certain choices were not chosen for long term play). Note that: Magic items are random, And half of my spells are random. In addition, I received a free level 3 spell (Lightning Bolt), just to add a bit of choice to my spell selection.

NE Half-Elf Wizard 5 of Nerull (We have a cleric with a Dark Skull)

STR 10
DEX 10
CON 9
INT 16
WIS 12
CHA 11

Items:
1 Rod of Lordly Might (20 Charges) (Will likely be given to henchman upon Enlarging him)
Staff of Withering(45 Charges)
1 +2 Scale Mail (Given to Henchman)
1 +2 Plate Mail (Traded with the Cleric for a Ring of Protection +1)
1 Hat of Disguise
1 Bottle of Air

10 Darts (1d3 vs Small/Medium, 1d2 vs Large)
Spell Components
Spellbook
10 days Rations
Silk Robe
Slik Rope (50 ft)
Bedroll
2 Torches

Spells (the lack of Mage armor really amazed me):
Level 1 Spells: (Rolled) Friends, Enlarge; (Free) Read Magic; (Choosen) Feather Fall, Magic Missile
Level 2 Spells: (Rolled) Mirror Image; (Choosen) Invisibility
Level 3 Spells: (Free) lightning Bolt; (Choosen) Fly

Prepared Spells:
1) Enlarge x2, Magic Missile x1, Feather Fall x1
2) Mirror Image x1, Invisibility x1
3) Lightning Bolt x1

[hr]
Henchman
Level 1 Human Fighter
14 STR (+20 Encumberence. 1-2 on d6, 7%), 16 DEX (+1 surprise, +1 Missile bonus to hit, -2 AC), 8 CON, 15 INT, 14 WIS, 10 CHA

2 HP (Grr rolling)
Long sword (1d8/1d12)
Small Shield
Longbow (1d6/1d6), and 50 arrows.

+2 Scale Mail (-4 AC + -2 AC) + Shield (-1 AC) + Dex (-2 AC) = 1 AC net.

Saving throws:
Aimed: 16
Breath Weapon: 17
Death/Paralysis/Poison: 14
Petrification/Polymorph: 15
Spells: 17

To hit:

-10 -5 0 5 10
25 24 23 22 21 20 20 20 20 20 20 19 18 17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10
-1 to all values if Missile.

Any Recommendations, comments, or things I really need to know?

Matthew
2010-12-30, 08:48 AM
Well, I guess the first thing to say is that the acronym is OSRIC (http://www.knights-n-knaves.com/osric/) (Old School Reference and Index Compilation), but really only to satisfy my inner pedant. :smallbiggrin:

Although it is popular, especially in computer game versions of AD&D, to have magician characters carry a load of darts, it is worth noting that you have an encumbrance limit of 35 lbs before movement is reduced and 50 darts weigh 25 lbs, and that is before taking into account their actual stowage about his personage (difficult, to say the least). It is possible, of course, that your group takes a fairly generous view of encumbrance, in which case you can ignore this issue, but do not forget that darts have a very limited range and throwing them into melee is as like to hit your companions as any enemies.

That scale armour +2 you should consider selling for 6,750 GP, as that translates also to 6,750 experience points (you should have something like 20,000-22,000 at the moment, I think you need 40,000 to hit sixth level; you would have been very close indeed if you had sold the plate mail +2 for 10,500 GP) and you have no direct use for it. However, if the game master will let you take a henchman (which seems entirely reasonable at your ability level) you could always equip a fighter type with the scale armour (and maybe have him also carry some of your darts...).

Spells look fine. It is worth remembering that invisibility lasts 24 hours in AD&D, and also that lightning bolts have an annoying tendency to rebound in close quarters. The friends spell might be useful in combination with your hat of disguise.

Gralamin
2010-12-30, 02:30 PM
Well, I guess the first thing to say is that the acronym is OSRIC (http://www.knights-n-knaves.com/osric/) (Old School Reference and Index Compilation), but really only to satisfy my inner pedant. :smallbiggrin:

Oops, Guess I shouldn't post so early in the morning. I'll change that.

Although it is popular, especially in computer game versions of AD&D, to have magician characters carry a load of darts, it is worth noting that you have an encumbrance limit of 35 lbs before movement is reduced and 50 darts weigh 25 lbs, and that is before taking into account their actual stowage about his personage (difficult, to say the least). It is possible, of course, that your group takes a fairly generous view of encumbrance, in which case you can ignore this issue, but do not forget that darts have a very limited range and throwing them into melee is as like to hit your companions as any enemies.
I probably should ditch some of the darts then.

That scale armour +2 you should consider selling for 6,750 GP, as that translates also to 6,750 experience points (you should have something like 20,000-22,000 at the moment, I think you need 40,000 to hit sixth level; you would have been very close indeed if you had sold the plate mail +2 for 10,500 GP) and you have no direct use for it. However, if the game master will let you take a henchman (which seems entirely reasonable at your ability level) you could always equip a fighter type with the scale armour (and maybe have him also carry some of your darts...).

Henchman eh? I should ask about that.

Spells look fine. It is worth remembering that invisibility lasts 24 hours in AD&D, and also that lightning bolts have an annoying tendency to rebound in close quarters. The friends spell might be useful in combination with your hat of disguise.

Good to remember. Thanks.

Edit: Now have henchman.

Matthew
2011-01-02, 02:35 PM
Good stuff; let us know how it turns out!