PDA

View Full Version : Forgotten/Ignored rules (3.5, mostly)

Frog Dragon
2010-12-30, 06:52 AM
What rules do you think are often ignored or just plain forgotten in D&D? I myself have noted that very few people seem to remember or care about the starting ages. XP-penalties seem to be ignored most of the time, though rarely forgotten.

From my gaming table, I have a houserule that arose from this. Every time someone rolled a critical crit, we were like "oh look a crit! Double damage!" Then, after the combat. "We forgot to roll confirmation." This happened every single time. So eventually, I just said we're not rolling them anymore, because we wouldn't remember anyway.

Anyone else have accounts, stories, comments or rotten tomatoes?

Ryu_Bonkosi
2010-12-30, 07:07 AM
For my group they seem to forget that they have buffs/magic items on which really tends to screw them over. But the rolling for confirmation is one that seems to be just tossed to the side as well.

AslanCross
2010-12-30, 07:12 AM
At our table, we often forget concealment due to illumination.

Runestar
2010-12-30, 07:23 AM
The DC15 save when you deal 50 or more damage (which comes up quite often when you have martial adepts and blasters).

You can charge as a standard action (new DM didn't realise he could do this with zombies).:smallamused:

Not really an ignored rule, but said new DM also got overwhelmed from having to keep track of outsider resistances/immunities. I am pretty sure he forgot to apply resistances/dr a couple of times.

grimbold
2010-12-30, 07:29 AM
encumbrance slowing move speed is pretty much gone
so i confirmation
torture rules are left to roleplaying
actually a lot of things are left to roleplayin in my group including diplomacy and sometimes bluff

Chilingsworth
2010-12-30, 07:37 AM
My group used to forget that dismissing a spell takes a standard action. We dont anymore because one of us reminded the DM when it was inconvienent for one of his baddies.

Gwillednt
2010-12-30, 08:42 AM
The DC15 save when you deal 50 or more damage (which comes up quite often when you have martial adepts and blasters).

You can charge as a standard action (new DM didn't realise he could do this with zombies).:smallamused:

Not really an ignored rule, but said new DM also got overwhelmed from having to keep track of outsider resistances/immunities. I am pretty sure he forgot to apply resistances/dr a couple of times.

The charge rule is convoluted as hell. You can do it when limited to a standard action. So zombies can do it, and during a surprise round. Can you do it as a readied action, though? There's the rub. You can ready only a standard action. So maybe. BUT when you readied it, you weren't limited to one.

This caused much annoyance at our table one time. I think I just let them do it and said we'll figure it out later. Two years later and we still don't really know.

Greenish
2010-12-30, 08:48 AM
Can you do it as a readied action, though? There's the rub. You can ready only a standard action. So maybe. BUT when you readied it, you weren't limited to one.There's a feat in PHBII, Cometary Collision, that allows you to ready an action to charge someone who's charging you or your friends.

So it seems the person writing the feat thought you normally couldn't ready a charge.

Saph
2010-12-30, 08:53 AM
Monks not being proficient with unarmed strikes.
Multiclassing XP penalties.
Epic spellcasting.
Diplomacy and Bluff results are heavily modified by common sense.
The grappling system is DM-adjudicated most of the time. (You want to do something, roll an opposed grapple check, and no we don't want to go through the grappling rules line by line to see if it's right or not.)

Killer Angel
2010-12-30, 08:56 AM
We always apply the confirmation for crit, but practically never the check penalties for distance for listen/spot.

Runestar
2010-12-30, 09:07 AM
I think my group has never really enforced the range increment penalties either. We just assume archers can hit the enemies on the map, however far away. :smalltongue:

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-12-30, 09:08 AM
The charge rule is convoluted as hell. You can do it when limited to a standard action. So zombies can do it, and during a surprise round. Can you do it as a readied action, though? There's the rub. You can ready only a standard action. So maybe. BUT when you readied it, you weren't limited to one.
“The ready action lets you prepare to take an action later, after your turn is over but before your next one has begun.” (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialInitiativeActions.htm#ready)
(( emphasis mine ))

When you take your readied action, it is no longer the same turn as when you first readied it. On your readied action, you are limited to a standard or move action, so therefore you can make a standard-action charge.

Never saw anyone play it any different, and I’m pretty sure readying a charge has been mentioned as a tactic certain monsters and NPCs use in official sources.

There's a feat in PHBII, Cometary Collision, that allows you to ready an action to charge someone who's charging you or your friends.

So it seems the person writing the feat thought you normally couldn't ready a charge.
The benefit of that feat is not to ready your charge, but to gain a greater bonus on your charge and to deny your opponent the attack bonus from charging.

Gwillednt
2010-12-30, 09:12 AM
“The ready action lets you prepare to take an action later, after your turn is over but before your next one has begun.” (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialInitiativeActions.htm#ready)
(( emphasis mine ))

When you take your readied action, it is no longer the same turn as when you first readied it. On your readied action, you are limited to a standard or move action, so therefore you can make a standard-action charge.

Never saw anyone play it any different, and I’m pretty sure readying a charge has been mentioned as a tactic certain monsters and NPCs use in official sources.

Then what's the point of aforementioned feat someone else just said?

Frog Dragon
2010-12-30, 09:15 AM
There would be no point, but Cometary Collision is awful anyway, and WotC has a history of developers failing at their own rules. Nothing new here.
Edit: Swordsage'd.

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-12-30, 09:15 AM
Ninja Edit: See above. The feat’s “benefit” was not quoted in full. The first line says, “You can ready a standard action to use this feat when an opponent charges you or any other target.” It then goes on to say what happens when you use the feat. And the benefit is more than just being able to take a standard action charge. Specifically, you get a damage bonus, while your charging opponent loses his attack bonus (but retains is AC penalty).

And note that it says you ready to use the feat, not ready to charge. It just so happens that part of using the feat requires making a standard-action charge.

In any case, the Player’s Handbook is the primary source for the rules on charging and readying an action, not a poorly-written weak feat from Player’s Handbook II.

gbprime
2010-12-30, 09:57 AM
We always throw out the little things that slow combat down, like +1 to hit for being on higher ground. Etc, etc.

Besides, we have our OWN ways of slowing combat down. I speak of course of

Attack Math (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0034.html)

Curmudgeon
2010-12-30, 10:08 AM
Encounter starts. In 3.0 encounters automatically started when the distance between opponents dropped to half its initial value. In 3.5 encounters don't start until somebody on one side succeeds on a Spot or Listen check ─ except for forest fires and avalanches, which still use the 3.0 rules. :smallamused:

FMArthur
2010-12-30, 10:26 AM
Multilayer lighting and concealment is just too much work for me. You either see it or you don't. I have never seen anyone actually take the time for it - it's absolutely ridiculous when many light sources are moving around.

Tyndmyr
2010-12-30, 10:31 AM

Oh yeah. I've never forgotten that rule, actually. However, I never intentionally play with it. It makes high level play kind of stupid, and even more rocket-tag like.

Shenanigans
2010-12-30, 10:41 AM
At our table, the following rules are oft-ignored:

- manually lowering spell resistance, or alternatively having the caster beat your spell resistance, to receive helpful spells from allies
- encumbrance, unless you're doing something obviously pretty ridiculous
- the mass damage save as mentioned above (not so much ignored...we use an alternative system)
- illumination ranges in general
- food

Swooper
2010-12-30, 10:49 AM
RAW is pretty much impossible to play straight out of the box, so I'm pretty sure every group makes small adjustments to the rules if only for sanity's sake... In my group:

Multiclassing XP penalty gets ignored.
Range penalties for Spot/Listen
Obscure combat modifiers like +1 to hit for higher ground
Silly stuff that's not supposed to be there like drown-healing etc.
Town size/item availability by value (DM's call whether an item is available instead)
NPC attitudes (neutral/unfriendly/friendly/helpful/hostile/...) - that's just roleplayed. Followup...
Diplomacy gets changed to a RP-aiding skill: "My character said what I just said, but much more eloquently and convincingly because I rolled a 29 on diplomacy"

...And probably a ton of other stuff that I'm forgetting.

mucco
2010-12-30, 11:00 AM
Encumbrance! Go try building a 8 Str character at first level and see if you can stay in light load, with all the adventuring equip. It's impossible.

Sarakos
2010-12-30, 11:02 AM
Actually, where is that higher ground rule found? I know I read it somewhere but I can't remember where. I've got a 3.5 paladin in a campaign who spends most of his time on his horse and I was wondering if that qualifiedas higher ground?

Edit: to stay on topic, my group ignores
-encumbrance, unless it's something ridiculous
-cover
-concealment
-lighting, if it's moderately light out you can see it normally. If it's dark you use darkvision and see fine (range isn't calculated) if you have a torch and lowlight vision while it's dark out you can see it (again range is forgotten)

Shenanigans
2010-12-30, 11:11 AM
NPC attitudes (neutral/unfriendly/friendly/helpful/hostile/...) - that's just roleplayed. Followup...
Diplomacy gets changed to a RP-aiding skill: "My character said what I just said, but much more eloquently and convincingly because I rolled a 29 on diplomacy"
[/LIST]
...And probably a ton of other stuff that I'm forgetting.

My group kind of plays this way too, although we're all pretty happy with it. We try to roleplay things out when possible, but our fallback axiom is "My character can do this better than I can...that's why I'm roleplaying." Otherwise, we'd have an adventuring party full of attorneys, doctors, and IT professionals.

Hmmm, maybe I should give Papers & Paychecks another chance. ;)

IcarusWings
2010-12-30, 11:30 AM
Loads of people seem to forget that a natural 20 on a skill check is not an automatic success, same for natural 1s.

The_Scourge
2010-12-30, 12:36 PM
A flat percentage of magic wepons glow as if they had a light spell cast on them, determined at xreation.
Kinda irritating if the Assassin's +5 kukri of stabbing you in the spine til you bexome a sad person with no spine, announces his presence as soon as it's drawn.

Curmudgeon
2010-12-30, 12:49 PM
Loads of people seem to forget that a natural 20 on a skill check is not an automatic success, same for natural 1s.
It's not just skill checks. Disarm checks are opposed attack rolls, and yet there's no automatic success or failure ─ because there's no hitting or missing. :smallbiggrin:

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-12-30, 12:58 PM
It's not just skill checks.
Indeed. Attack Rolls and Saves are the only checks with automatic successes and failures.

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-12-30, 01:00 PM
It's not just skill checks.
Indeed. Attack Rolls and Saves are the only checks with automatic successes and failures.

A flat percentage of magic wepons glow as if they had a light spell cast on them, determined at xreation.
Kinda irritating if the Assassin's +5 kukri of stabbing you in the spine til you bexome a sad person with no spine, announces his presence as soon as it's drawn.
Why would an assassin use one of the weapons that glows? A full 70% of them don’t. It’s not like the non-glowy ones would be hard to find. And even if they were, the surprise and death attack is probably better than most bonuses you’d get, so might as well use a non-magical weapon.

Ernir
2010-12-30, 01:00 PM

No, you can't. You can not ready full-round actions, and charging is a full-round action. You can take a "partial charge" when you are normally restricted to taking only a standard action or a move action, but this does not change the action required to perform a charge. (In other words, charging is a full-round action, and a partial charge does not make an exception.)

Boots of the Battle Charger (MIC), however, explicitly allow you to charge as a standard action. Get those if you want to play D&D rugby. :smalltongue:

Zeofar
2010-12-30, 01:08 PM
Ignored almost universally: prestige classes as abilities gained from training in an organization. Many indicate that you need to be part of an organization to gain the class (If I'm not mistaken, the Dungeon Master's Guide states that ALL prestige classes should be linked with organizations), but most seem to favor the concept that any prestige class that isn't irrevocably linked with an organization of some sort are simply outgrowths of the character's abilities.

Keinnicht
2010-12-30, 01:08 PM
I tend to forget about concealment, DR, and fast healing a lot.

Ignored almost universally: prestige classes as abilities gained from training in an organization. Many indicate that you need to be part of an organization to gain the class, but most players seem to favor the concept that any prestige class that isn't irreconcilably linked with an organization of some sort are simply outgrowths of the character's abilities.

That makes perfect sense to me. As much sense as a Wizard just gaining stronger spells after awhile.

Zeofar
2010-12-30, 01:11 PM
That makes perfect sense to me. As much sense as a Wizard just gaining stronger spells after awhile.

It makes perfect sense to me as well. I'm simply listing it as it is an "ignored" rule. I imagine the designers tried to link prestige classes to organizations so that the Dungeon Master could limit entry, but in most cases it seems rather silly and better dealt with OOC if the Dungeon Master doesn't want a player to take a class.

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-12-30, 01:16 PM
No, you can't. You can not ready full-round actions, and charging is a full-round action.
Well, you can actually ready to start a full round action. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#startCompleteFullRoundAction) Though it explicitly doesn’t apply to full-round charges.

You can take a "partial charge" when you are normally restricted to taking only a standard action or a move action, but this does not change the action required to perform a charge. (In other words, charging is a full-round action, and a partial charge does not make an exception.)
That’s a fair enough evaluation, actually.

Though I think I could come up with some pedantry to merge it with my earlier statements and still come out as allowing a readied charge. :smalltongue: But I think I’d rather give it a break. :smallwink:

It makes perfect sense to me as well. I'm simply listing it as it is an "ignored" rule. I imagine the designers tried to link prestige classes to organizations so that the Dungeon Master could limit entry, but in most cases it seems rather silly and better dealt with OOC if the Dungeon Master doesn't want a player to take a class.
The prestige class rules in general don’t make any statement about them belonging to organizations. Links to Organizations Heck, I think the Assassin is the only DMG prestige class where being part of an organization is part of the class concept. The most you get for the rest are things like Dwarven Defender and Hierophant, which each state in their flavor that they usually serve a greater community.

Incanur
2010-12-30, 01:55 PM
Encumbrance! Go try building a 8 Str character at first level and see if you can stay in light load, with all the adventuring equip. It's impossible.

Encouraging players to added to a neglected attribute wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Nor does reaching a medium load (up to 53lb with your example) fatally hinder a character. It's akin to wearing medium armor.

hamishspence
2010-12-30, 02:00 PM
Heck, I think the Assassin is the only DMG prestige class where being part of an organization is part of the class concept. The most you get for the rest are things like Dwarven Defender and Hierophant, which each state in their flavor that they usually serve a greater community.

Red Wizard.

But then, that's the exception to the rule.

Heliomance
2010-12-30, 02:16 PM
Criticals. By the rules, if you score a critical, you roll damage twice (or three times, for a x3 modifier) and add. Every group I've ever played with jut rolls once and doubles (or triples)

Tyndmyr
2010-12-30, 02:18 PM

It strikes me as downright odd in some cases. For instance, any PrC which you have to be chaotic to be in. Yup, an organization of the chaotic, in order to teach them all to act the same.

Keinnicht
2010-12-30, 02:20 PM
Red Wizard.

But then, that's the exception to the rule.

Honestly I think it'd make way more sense for Dwarven Defenders or Arcane Archers to have to be part of an organization. Assassins are just guys who are good at killing people, and their expertise seems like it could easily grow out of being a rogue who likes to sneak attack people and a few deals with dark gods.

Greenish
2010-12-30, 02:30 PM
Actually, where is that higher ground rule found? I know I read it somewhere but I can't remember where. I've got a 3.5 paladin in a campaign who spends most of his time on his horse and I was wondering if that qualifiedas higher ground?Higher ground rule is in the section for combat modifiers (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatModifiers.htm) (see Table: Attack Roll Modifiers).

You count as having higher ground if your mount is larger than your opponent, as per the mounted combat section (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#mountedCombat).

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-12-30, 02:48 PM
Red Wizard.
Damn. I keep on forgetting that made the DMG. I still only think of Red Wizards as a Forgotten Realms thing.

Honestly I think it'd make way more sense for Dwarven Defenders or Arcane Archers to have to be part of an organization.
I see arcane archers as simply being a blend of existing skills. One with a unique calling card, to be sure. But not enough to see the need for an organization with them.

Dwarven Defenders do need some sort of group, though, given that they work best as formation fighters. Yet that’s only a suggestion rather than a requirement. :smallsigh:

Assassins are just guys who are good at killing people, and their expertise seems like it could easily grow out of being a rogue who likes to sneak attack people and a few deals with dark gods.
True enough.

It’s been pointed out that the whole “kill just to join the assassins” bit was likely due to legacy concept from previous editions. Even though the flavor text only mentions NPCs usually working in guilds rather than it being a strict organizational thing.

My take on it is to replace the phrase, “no other reason than to join the assassins” with “no other reason than to improve your death-dealing skills” or something similar.

TheCountAlucard
2010-12-30, 03:03 PM
Multiclass XP penalties. We never even bother with those.

Also, for the sake of making character sheet audits quicker and easier, my group's tried a number of little houserules for skill points. Thinking of adopting SWSE's skill system and calling it a day. :smalltongue:

Salanmander
2010-12-30, 03:45 PM
Encouraging players to added to a neglected attribute wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Nor does reaching a medium load (up to 53lb with your example) fatally hinder a character. It's akin to wearing medium armor.

Yeah, I generally use encumbrance rules as written, including with my weakling throwing characters that struggle to keep all their knives under their light load. It makes total sense to me that a strength 8 character carrying all their adventuring equipment would be slowed down. Ever backpacked with 30-50 lb pack?

Qwertystop
2010-12-30, 04:10 PM
Oozes and Undead being immune to Critical Hits, leading to a Crowning Moment of Awesome:
The Druid threw a pebble from that pebble-enchanting spell, and it punctured the Gelatinous Cube entirely and knocked out a few magic rings (Critical, natural 20 on confirmation, hit on trying to hit the loot) (Without the critical, he wouldn't have been allowed to try hitting the rings).

pilvento
2010-12-30, 04:18 PM
You can charge as a standard action

REALLY? WE CAN? omgomgomgomg

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-12-30, 04:21 PM
Personally, for the sake of verisimilitude, I don’t mind giving characters a reason to avoid knowingly walking into combat with a bedroll and messkit on their back.

Heliomance
2010-12-30, 07:35 PM
REALLY? WE CAN? omgomgomgomg

Only if, for whatever reason, you're limited to only taking a standard action in a round. Being staggered, for example.

Forged Fury
2010-12-30, 08:41 PM
I've noticed a lot of groups properly apply the -4 to hit for ranged attacks made against an opponent in combat with an ally, but often forget the additional -4 to hit from the soft cover their ally is probably supplying to the opponent (depending on positioning, but oftentimes the case since the ranged folks are usually behind the meatshields).

Starbuck_II
2010-12-30, 08:47 PM
I've noticed a lot of groups properly apply the -4 to hit for ranged attacks made against an opponent in combat with an ally, but often forget the additional -4 to hit from the soft cover their ally is probably supplying to the opponent (depending on positioning, but oftentimes the case since the ranged folks are usually behind the meatshields).

They should be combined really: Archers don't need nerfs. So I'd ignore that if I coulf.