PDA

View Full Version : pepper in the eye HELP

Beelzebub1111
2010-12-30, 07:40 AM
I accidentally touched a habinaro and then thouched my eye. Hurts like hell. HALP!

Serpentine
2010-12-30, 07:40 AM
Wash out with water, call a poisons hotline, see a doctor if symptoms persist.

Beelzebub1111
2010-12-30, 07:43 AM

Thank you. Washed with water. Pain is starting to subside. *hugs*

Serpentine
2010-12-30, 07:43 AM
I've gotten chili in my eye before. Not much, but enough to be unpleasant :smallyuk:

Beelzebub1111
2010-12-30, 07:46 AM
Worth it to make those sloppy joes extra spicy...I think...

Dvil
2010-12-30, 08:09 AM
One time at school, someone brought in the hottest hot sauce he'd ever found, and dared people to try it. You could hear where he was by the people yelling in discomfort and pain.
But then, a couple of hours later, it all started up again as people would forget they'd had it on their finger and innocently rub their eye. That was a fun day.

mangosta71
2010-12-30, 08:11 AM
Yeah, flushing your eyes with water is pretty much the only thing you can do. One day I was making salsa. Chopping jalapenos, it was hot in the kitchen, I wiped the sweat off my brow... and I think people in the next town heard my scream.

fratar11
2010-12-30, 10:11 AM
I heard milk is more helpful in those situations.

Haruki-kun
2010-12-30, 10:15 AM
I've gotten chili in my eye before. Not much, but enough to be unpleasant :smallyuk:

Once I got table pepper in my eye. Like... actually from the shaker into my eye. I can't remember how, but I remember it hurt. A lot.

I heard milk is more helpful in those situations.

If you eat really hot food, I find drinking milk, cream, ketchup, or generally thicker liquids than water to be better. *nod* But I don't think you wanna put those things in your eye. :smalltongue:

Dr.Epic
2010-12-30, 10:21 AM

That's stuff poisonous?:smallconfused: Also, I heard somewhere washing something out with milk works (that may have been mace and it might work because it balances out the pH).

Melayl
2010-12-30, 10:23 AM
If you eat really hot food, I find drinking milk, cream, ketchup, or generally thicker liquids than water to be better. *nod* But I don't think you wanna put those things in your eye. :smalltongue:

Indeed. The only thing you want to rinse your eyes with is water/saline. Definitly not milk.

Eat a spicy food and milk is your friend, however (surgary drinks are better, but milk is good).

Eldan
2010-12-30, 10:27 AM
The poison hotline/doctor would mostly be because it's possible to permanently damage your eye.

Killer Angel
2010-12-30, 10:29 AM
Thank you. Washed with water. Pain is starting to subside. *hugs*

Very good, wash with water is the best thing to do with pepper.
And now that the problem is solved...

I accidentally touched a habinaro and then thouched my eye. Hurts like hell. HALP!

One eye? then touch the other eye, and repeat the washing. This way, they'll be equally red injected, and you'll appear less weird.

no, I won't feel responsible, if you really do such a folly... :smalltongue:

Perenelle
2010-12-30, 10:38 AM
As said before, rinsing your eye with water is the way to go. Every time I've gotten something in my eye water has always worked. If not call your doctor and make sure everything is okay. No harm in that.

I'm not so sure about rinsing your eye with milk though... I wouldn't suggest it. :smalleek:

One eye? then touch the other eye, and repeat the washing. This way, they'll be equally red injected, and you'll appear less weird. :smalltongue:

:smallamused: You have my grandpa's reasoning.
*walks in with broken ankle*
Grandpa: "does it hurt, Perry?"
me: "yeah"
Grandpa: "C'mere and let me break the other one so the pain will balance out"

:smallannoyed: :smalltongue:

Serpentine
2010-12-30, 10:42 AM
That's stuff poisonous?:smallconfused:
The poison hotline/doctor would mostly be because it's possible to permanently damage your eye.Pretty much that. The poison hotline would know best what to wash it with, if water doesn't work.

aart lover
2010-12-30, 10:46 AM
man, have i been there. it involved a brother who liked to experiment on his younger one. a seely pepper. and an innocent 8 year old who didn't know that rubbing your eyes after touching one would cause so much pain:smalleek:

JediSoth
2010-12-30, 10:46 AM
Drinking/eating dairy products to combat the pain of spicy heat is because the heat comes from an oil-based chemical called capsaicin. Oil doesn't mix with water, but dairy products have a lot of fat (so, whole milk is better for this purpose than skim). You're basically fighting fat with fat.

But yeah, I wouldn't wash your eye out with milk.

Exeson
2011-01-02, 04:07 PM
Great thing is to put pepper in someone's pint just before they penny it.

It is hilarious to find out which people give up and which people just keep on chugging out of sheer stubbornness.

Eldan
2011-01-02, 04:09 PM
And those who like it. I've had a few pepper-based drinks, they are pretty good.

shawnhcorey
2011-01-02, 06:15 PM

Some pepper should only be chopped with rubber gloves and eye protection. Habaneros are one, scotch bonnets are another.

I find that starchy foods also help, bread, potatoes, etc. Don't drink water; it just spreads it around in your mouth. :smallsmile:

Serpentine
2011-01-03, 12:38 AM
And those who like it. I've had a few pepper-based drinks, they are pretty good.At least one recipe for chai involves pepper.
Pepper, mind, not chili. Although you can get a chili-chai...

Innis Cabal
2011-01-03, 01:52 AM
Indeed. The only thing you want to rinse your eyes with is water/saline. Definitly not milk.

Eat a spicy food and milk is your friend, however (surgary drinks are better, but milk is good).

Cold milk is the best, you'd need a sugary liquid of about 10% sugar to get close, even then it needs to be at around room temp to function properly. Chemistry though says milk or dairy is the best thing to use.

Drinking/eating dairy products to combat the pain of spicy heat is because the heat comes from an oil-based chemical called capsaicin. Oil doesn't mix with water, but dairy products have a lot of fat (so, whole milk is better for this purpose than skim). You're basically fighting fat with fat.

But yeah, I wouldn't wash your eye out with milk.

This is also not true. Milk has casein, which is a protein not a fat, which has a detergent effect on capsaicin (which is also -not- an oil). Casein is the main protein in milk which is why dairy is the best option for when your mouth is burning.

grimbold
2011-01-03, 11:33 AM
over a while you start to become stronger against resisting spices to the skin. I have gotten REALLY into spicy food over the past couple of years and now barely am upset by rubbing a spice into my skin. getting spice in the eye though can be serious and it was goood you immidiately washed it

Don Julio Anejo
2011-01-03, 11:54 AM
About the only thing you should wash your eyes with is water. Don't do saline - after rubbing your eyes long enough, it can literally be like pouring salt over a wound.