PDA

View Full Version : Now it's personal

Frozen_Feet
2010-12-30, 10:00 AM
You must now the type of songs you immediatly connect with - it's almost like they're telling about you. It's easy to pick those as your favorites, easy to relate them.

Then there are those songs you don't really get, or even really care about when you first hear them. They describe an event or state of being that's unknown to you. Then, years afterward, when your life has changed, you hear those songs again - and they hit you like a brick when things they say finally click in place.

So... what songs are of the second type to you? And why?

I'm going to start this off with a somewhat depressing example: Offspring's Let's hear it for Rock Bottom. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dshciK03smY)

I bought Offspring's Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace two and a half years ago from Denmark. I'd just graduated, I had a job, and was enjoying a scout camp with my friends. It was half a year before my scheduled, state-funded vacation in Finnish Defense Forces. All in all, my things couldn't have been better. As such, while I found the above song depressing, I could at least say to myself "well, at least it isn't about me".

Fast forward to today. After my conscription ended, I spent six months unemployed. My car broke thrice and more than half my savings went to repairing it. My temporary work contract ended 19 days ago and I'm back to trying to find a job. I just realized I'm back at the same square I was immediatly after army, expect I have 1000 € less money. My mother bitches to me about how I'm useless waste of space and should move away, and explaining to her that I simply don't have the money never makes her shut up. My motivation is shot all to hell, I'm sleeping 15 hours per day, and I'm starting to feel like I should just spend the rest of Winter in hibernation.

To cheer myself up, I started listening through my old records, and stumbled upon the song. Now there's no question about it: the song is about me.

Mr. Zolrane
2010-12-31, 11:19 AM
Pretty much the entirety of Skillet's "Comatose" album for me.

Starscream
2010-12-31, 12:06 PM
Johnathan Coulton's Code Monkey. About a year and a half ago that was me. I'd just graduated college, and the only development job I could get was a crappy one for a company that admins retirement plans.

The work was mind-numbingly dull and easy, the pay was lousy, and the only reason I kept showing up was that the job required so little of me (I was the only programmer there, and nobody understood what I did enough to know that you could get an amateur programmer from high school to replace me with little difference), that I could spend 90% of the day on the internet.

Often on this site, actually. Also developed a wicked TvTropes addiction, which I still struggle with to this day.

Oh, and one of my bosses actually was named "Rob", so it was downright eerie listening to that song, as if it actually was describing my life.

Fortunately, I have since gotten a much better job, one that is better paying and challenging enough that I don't fantasize about propping a mannequin up in my chair and seeing how long it takes anyone to notice I'm not there.