PDA

View Full Version : Gelatinous Cubes are people to!

grimbold
2010-12-30, 12:09 PM
Theres a facebook page for this (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=110695348948114) and i thought it was to funny
its got like 6 fans but i figured the playground could get us more
so, anybody got any thoughts on the concepts
Geltinous Cubes are People To!

Keld Denar
2010-12-30, 12:16 PM
Is it a Rusty and Co (http://www.rustyandco.net) fanboy page? Cause I gotta tell you, that Cube gets it done!

grimbold
2010-12-30, 12:31 PM
no it uses the MM monster manual pic

KillianHawkeye
2010-12-30, 12:45 PM
Well, maybe you should have linked to it.

grimbold
2010-12-30, 12:50 PM
Well, maybe you should have linked to it.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=110695348948114
TADAA!!

Kansaschaser
2010-12-30, 12:55 PM
Theres a facebook page for this (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=110695348948114) and i thought it was to funny
its got like 6 fans but i figured the playground could get us more
so, anybody got any thoughts on the concepts
Geltinous Cubes are People To!

In Forgotten Realms, there is an intelligent gelatinous cube that is the leader of a sewer cleaning guild. It speaks through vibrations. So yes, I think they are people too. I'd like to see someone come up with the level adjustment, special qualities, stat adjustment, etc for a gelatinous cube PC class.

grimbold
2010-12-30, 01:25 PM
In Forgotten Realms, there is an intelligent gelatinous cube that is the leader of a sewer cleaning guild. It speaks through vibrations. So yes, I think they are people too. I'd like to see someone come up with the level adjustment, special qualities, stat adjustment, etc for a gelatinous cube PC class.
thats pretty cool

sonofzeal
2010-12-30, 01:30 PM
There is an official WotC Gelatinous Cube Monk (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/eo/20060922a). Think about that for a minute.

grimbold
2010-12-30, 01:45 PM
There is an official WotC Gelatinous Cube Monk (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/eo/20060922a). Think about that for a minute.

i'm pretty sure thats a joke
i hope thats a joke

hamishspence
2010-12-30, 02:03 PM
It's not an April 1st page.

There are some pretty exotic creatures in the archives- in the D&D Fight Club column, there's a demon paladin.

Eldan
2010-12-30, 02:04 PM
However, the those extended monster pages pretty much all ignore the rules. I think that was actually part of the tagline.

hamishspence
2010-12-30, 02:09 PM
However, the those extended monster pages pretty much all ignore the rules. I think that was actually part of the tagline.

Don't think so- it specifically calls out the Amphibious Cube as breaking the rules, but not the others.

The ones which specifically break the rules:
Creatures That Cannot Be (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/eo/20060407a)
Creaures That Cannot Be II (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/eo/20070401a)

Most of the things in Elite Opponents simply involve rules-legal application of templates- with very few exceptions.

Keld Denar
2010-12-30, 02:09 PM
I think its actually possible. You can give a GC an Int score with a template, I think its called Guardian Ooze or someting. Then you can boost that Int with any other Int boosting template like Phrenic or such. Once you do that, its just as valid to take class levels as a goblin or human.

The question is, would monk levels be associated or non-associated for a GC? Cause oozes advance 4:1 HD/CR already, so you could easily make a 70-80 HD GC that is only CR12 or so, and qualifies for [Epic] feats!

Now I think its time to create That Darned Pseudonatural Paragon Guardian Gelatinous Cube, or some other monstrosity of the Far Realm....

grimbold
2010-12-30, 02:19 PM
so basically playing a GC character would involve lots of cheese?

hamishspence
2010-12-30, 02:36 PM
I think its actually possible. You can give a GC an Int score with a template, I think its called Guardian Ooze or someting.

It is called Sentry Ooze- and is in Dungeonscape. Note that it specifically states that because the ooze is no longer mindless, it loses immunity to mind-affecting effects and abilities- though it does get a bonus to saves against them.

Tyndmyr
2010-12-30, 03:08 PM
I think its actually possible. You can give a GC an Int score with a template, I think its called Guardian Ooze or someting. Then you can boost that Int with any other Int boosting template like Phrenic or such. Once you do that, its just as valid to take class levels as a goblin or human.

The monk ooze uses the fiendish template, which boosts int to 3, according to the article. Now, this still isn't great, but I'm not adverse to template stacking to make an ooze awesome. Biggest problem is that ooze, as a type, isn't the most ideal one for this. Now, on the plus side, this means only a 1CR boost per 4 HD added. See if your DM allows CR to work like LA. Sketchy, but if he's letting you play an ooze, you've got a shot.

Also, keep in mind the animated spells as a starting creature. Makes for a potentially wicked ooze.

Half-Dragon can be done. Boosts the racial hd to d12s, which is pretty cool, considering the above CR/HD trick. Also, half dragons of large or bigger automatically have wings and can fly. Gelatinous Cubes are large. Behold, the flying ooze. Since you're already immune to electricity, you'll choose a type that grants another immunity. I suggest your favorite of the acid ignoring ones. The acid breath attack also meshes well with oozes thematically. It also gives you a giant pile of stats, which lets you actually be competent at things. +14 in total. Your skill points are now a lot better too.

Phrenic is a possibility. Combined with the cheap access to HD, this allows you to make a fake caster without actual class levels. This again gives you a stack of stat bonuses.

So, Fiendish, Phrenic, Half Dragon Gelatinous Cube:
CR: 7(note that using LA instead of CR may boost it by a couple. Look at buyoff.)
Str 18, Dex 1, Con 28, Int 7, Wis 3, Cha 7
HP: 4d12+36
AC: 8

You now have a flying death machine with a solid array of immunities, solid psionic abilities for it's CR that scale excellently with additional HD, and is pretty much a bear in melee.

Kansaschaser
2010-12-30, 03:13 PM
Half-Dragon can be done. Boosts the racial hd to d12s, which is pretty cool,
So, Fiendish, Phrenic, Half Dragon Gelatinous Cube

Ok, just thinking about this combo makes me giggle. Can you imagine what this creature looks like? LOL :smallbiggrin:

hamishspence
2010-12-30, 03:14 PM
I wonder if anyone's done a "family group" which consists of dragon, ooze, and their two types of children: half dragon oozes, and gelatinous dragons.

(Gelatinous template is in Savage Species and can be applied to any living creature that isn't an ooze. It gives them the Aberration type and makes them look like an ooze- but still the same shape as the original creature.)

Hanuman
2010-12-30, 03:21 PM
Can it become undead, and then evolved undead?

Tyndmyr
2010-12-30, 03:31 PM
Can it become undead, and then evolved undead?

Well, the usual methods generally involve being humanoid, or having a skeleton at least. So, this is a bit awkward, but enough ways exist to become undead that it's probably somehow possible. Were-something might do it.

The big obstacle to being a PC is the utter lack of stats beyond con. This is a problem for almost all classes. No doubt you could stack other templates as well to help, though.

And, if you want to be really cheesy, there's always the ghost template, just to make that mental image even more awesomely insane.

Heliomance
2010-12-30, 03:52 PM
Too. Gelatinous cubes are people too!

*twitch*

Keld Denar
2010-12-30, 03:57 PM
The big obstacle to being a PC is the utter lack of stats beyond con. This is a problem for almost all classes. No doubt you could stack other templates as well to help, though.

OMG! Gelatinous Cube who takes levels in Stoneblessed, Deepwarden, and Fist (Pseudopod?) of the Forest.

You'd be looking at an AC in the 70s range, just from the massive Con score. "I don't need to dodge, I'm do much of a badass!"

Kobold-Bard
2010-12-30, 03:59 PM
so basically playing a GC character would involve lots of cheese?

Use the GitP Monster Classes version (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9385418&postcount=467). It rocks if I do say so myself :P

Darrin
2010-12-30, 04:01 PM
It's been an unnatural fascination of mine for quite some time to try and play an intelligent gelatinous cube...

In addition to the various template shenanigans, there's an awaken ooze spell in Dragon #304. There's also the Gelatinous template in Savage Species, but it turns you into an aberration, and the ability score adjustments and speed penalty are pretty harsh.

So far, the closest I've gotten to something playable:

Gelatinous Cube
+ Sentry Ooze template (Dungeonscape)
Str 10, Dex 7, Con 26, Int 2, Wis 11, Cha 11

+ Corrupted by the Abyss (Exp. Demonweb Pits), 3.5 update of Corrupted template.
Changes type to "Aberration"
Str 14, Dex 5, Con 30, Int 2, Wis 9, Cha 9

+ Dungeonbred template (Dungeonscape)
Size drops to medium.
Str 10, Dex 7, Con 30, Int 2, Wis 9, Cha 9

+ Spellwarped template (MMIII) (i.e., "A wizard did it!")
Str 14, Dex 9, Con 34, Int 6, Wis 9, Cha 9

If I mangle/ignore the Level Adjustment rules enough, this gives me a somewhat playable ECL 7 character (hey... allow me my delusions). However, I haven't quite made up my mind what to do with the remaining 13 class levels... Monk is kinda the traditional pick given the Elite Opponents articles, but even with paralyzing slams it doesn't really improve the build.

With such a high Con, I was leaning towards Dragonfire Adept, but I realized once he could get the Humanoid Shape invocation, he could spend all day as a humanoid... which kinda ruins the fun of being a gelatinous cube.

Warlock might work well: invisible flying artillery platform gelatinous cube! Any other suggestions? Tashalatora Monk/PsyWar, maybe, or Swordsage?

The monk ooze uses the fiendish template, which boosts int to 3, according to the article.

I actually prefer the Pseudonatural template (Complete Arcane/Lords of Madness). Boosts Int to 3 without changing much else. The tricky part is once your type changes to outsider, it's a bit difficult to change it to something else without adding a lot of LA. Half-fey works, only LA +2, although the butterfly wings might look pretty silly. Gelatinous also is an easy way to turn back into an aberration, but Int drops to 1, -4 to Dex/Wis/Cha, and speed drops to 5'.

Keld Denar
2010-12-30, 04:14 PM
Tashalatora Monk/PsyWar

This...screw Dungeonbred, go Tash, augement Expand and get up to COLOSSAL BLOB OF DOOM size!

grimbold
2010-12-30, 04:25 PM
ima tottally try to get my DM to let me play a GC next campaign

grimbold
2010-12-30, 04:48 PM
Too. Gelatinous cubes are people too!

*twitch*

crap sorry

Ernir
2010-12-30, 05:28 PM
With such a high Con, I was leaning towards Dragonfire Adept, but I realized once he could get the Humanoid Shape invocation, he could spend all day as a humanoid... which kinda ruins the fun of being a gelatinous cube.

Warlock might work well: invisible flying artillery platform gelatinous cube! Any other suggestions? Tashalatora Monk/PsyWar, maybe, or Swordsage?

Totemist, I say.

Keld Denar
2010-12-30, 05:38 PM
Yea, you'd have a hella DC on your Gorgon Mask...

Plus, isn't essentia capacity based on HD, not class levels? Man, 2 levels of Totemist and you'd be rocking a DC 40 save vs stoned. Once the victim is immobilized, continue to stone each round, sliding inevitably closer for an oozy doom!

Tvtyrant
2010-12-30, 05:46 PM
I have always wanted to make a gelatinous hydra and see how the enemy does against it. It gets a freaking ton of attacks on a move action, and would do nice engulfy stuff to people hit.

I have also wanted to play a were-ooze, though they are against the rules :( The idea of suddenly growing to Huge size and then engulfing people is awesome.

Kobold-Bard
2010-12-30, 06:03 PM
I have always wanted to make a gelatinous hydra and see how the enemy does against it. It gets a freaking ton of attacks on a move action, and would do nice engulfy stuff to people hit.

I have also wanted to play a were-ooze, though they are against the rules :( The idea of suddenly growing to Huge size and then engulfing people is awesome.

Ooze template from Savage Species?

Tyndmyr
2010-12-30, 07:15 PM
Gelatinous Rust Monster.

A clear cube of equipment eating.

doctor_wu
2010-12-30, 08:52 PM
What about a geletanous cube version of pun pun? </sarcasm>

grimbold
2010-12-31, 04:54 AM
What about a geletanous cube version of pun pun? </sarcasm>
DEAR GOD