PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm gonna put my players through the Tomb of Horrors

Keinnicht
2010-12-30, 02:09 PM
I'm running a stop the undead apocalypse kind of campaign, and had an idea. Why not have Acerak have hidden a weapon that was one of the only serious threats to him in the Tomb of Horrors?

Here's what I think the players are going to try and get:

The Artifact: This +6 Alchemical Silver Keen Brilliant Energy Longsword deals 3D6 additional damage to any undead it strikes. In addition, on a critical hit, the undead must make a will save (DC 25) or be affected as though it had been struck by a weapon with disrupting weapon cast upon it.

Opinions? Is the Tomb of Horrors just too nasty?

Gavinfoxx
2010-12-30, 02:28 PM
Ugh, you can do better than that for that weapon!

That isn't all that great, yaknow...

Also, why Tomb of Horrors? The place is pretty meaningless -- it works best in editions where things dont allow saves, and it is meant as a run for competitive games, or, in a home game, for the old editions, where each player comes with 5 or six backup characters, and to see how many characters it takes to get through the thing.

The 3.5e version just... well, everything allows a save, and as such, requires build ingenuity, or being at high enough level, rather than lucking out or knowing the tricks to really get past it.

Take a look at this old thread of mine, noting that the first useful comment starts on 18, and then useful comments happen after that, but its just inanity before the 18th comment or so, and there are still a bunch of useless comments scattered around:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163734

Also don't bump it, that would be thread necromancy.

Shadowbane
2010-12-30, 02:28 PM
Just to point out: brilliant energy weapons do not harm undead.

So, yeah.

Grelna the Blue
2010-12-30, 02:29 PM
First off, don't make the sword brilliant. A brilliant energy weapon cannot harm undead, constructs, and objects. Edit: ninja'd.

Try making it an Holy Undead Bane weapon instead.

Bane: A bane weapon excels at attacking one type or subtype of creature. Against its designated foe, its effective enhancement bonus is +2 better than its normal enhancement bonus. It deals an extra 2d6 points of damage against the foe. Bows, crossbows, and slings so crafted bestow the bane quality upon their ammunition. To randomly determine a weapon’s designated foe, roll on the following table. Price: +1 bonus.

Holy: A holy weapon is imbued with holy power. This power makes the weapon good-aligned and thus bypasses the corresponding damage reduction. It deals an extra 2d6 points of damage against all of evil alignment. It bestows one negative level on any evil creature attempting to wield it. The negative level remains as long as the weapon is in hand and disappears when the weapon is no longer wielded. This negative level never results in actual level loss, but it cannot be overcome in any way (including restoration spells) while the weapon is wielded. Bows, crossbows, and slings so crafted bestow the holy power upon their ammunition. Price: +2 bonus.

So it could be a +4 (+6 vs undead) Alchemical Silver Keen weapon that would do an extra 4d6 damage vs. undead. If you made it Axiomatic as well (same as Holy except vs. chaotic foes), it would do an extra 6d6 vs chaotic evil undead (most of them) and would still be cheaper than your original item.