PDA

View Full Version : Exploring Eberron

Devmaar
2010-12-30, 02:20 PM
Ballard took up a challenge. To seek out a ruined temple in Xen'Drik mentioned in a recently discovered scroll. The scroll said that the temple was the resting place of a mysterious Gemstone of great magical power. Whoever retrieved the stone and handed it in to House Medani would be rewarded with 10'000 Gp and of course be allowed to keep any other treasures they found.

Meanwhile, Professor Gaeliss was entrusted by Morgrave University with the task of finding a certain valuable statuette of The Keeper. In his research Gaeliss came to the conclusion that the statue was at the same temple as that of the House Medani mission. Knowing he would require assistance he sought out those who had taken up the challenge, eventually finding and joining Ballard. With some difficulty Gaeliss convinced Ballard that the two of them couldn't survive the journey through Xen'Drik alone. Therefore, they looked for further assistance. This came in the form of two companions they found hiring themselves out as 'Adventure Support'.

About half a day's travel into Xen'Drik, Ballard raises a hand to stop the party.
Holding his sword ready he slowly turns his head to the left...

Just as two White Wolves almost 5' tall burst out of the undergrowth. Ballard initially thinks he recognises Winter Wolves, but the climate is too hot for that.

Roll Initiative.

DoctorHobo
2010-12-30, 06:06 PM
Awesome opener! I love it. Bravo, sir. Also, I'm going to assume you mean "With some difficulty Gaeliss convinced Ballard that the two of them couldn't survive the journey through Xen'Drik alone. Therefore, they looked for further assistance." :smallbiggrin:

INITIATIVE - [roll0]

Devmaar
2010-12-30, 06:17 PM
I'm going to assume you mean "With some difficulty Gaeliss convinced Ballard that the two of them couldn't survive the journey through Xen'Drik alone. Therefore, they looked for further assistance."

What do you mean? That's what it says. :smalltongue:

DoctorHobo
2010-12-30, 06:19 PM
What do you mean? That's what it says. :smalltongue:

Gasp! You are correct sir. My mistake! :smallwink:

Grendus
2010-12-30, 08:13 PM
Woot, this one is going finally. I almost asked about it this morning. Initiative: [roll0]

And let the good times roll.

Lady Moreta
2010-12-30, 08:51 PM
Ack. Good thing I checked the thread :smalltongue: I agree, awesome opening though I read this:

Ballard took up a challenge. To seek out a ruined temple in Xen'Drik mentioned in a recently discovered scroll.
as "To seek out new life and new civilisations, to boldly go where no man has gone before!" at first... I've been watching too much Star Trek

Anyway!

[roll0]

Belthasar
2010-12-30, 10:45 PM
Initiative: [roll0]

Lady Moreta
2010-12-30, 10:47 PM
Just noticed, Doc & I got the same initiative. I believe the person with the highest dex goes first in that case? That would be Ballard :smallsmile:

Devmaar
2010-12-30, 10:51 PM
Marlowe acts first.

Grendus
2010-12-30, 11:36 PM
I don't know how far away the wolves are, so I'm going to assume close enough that sudden leap can get there. If it isn't, I'll be moving to engage and making a single attack.

Marlowe draws his halberd as a swift action (via Lesser Crystal of Return), then uses Sudden Leap to reach the wolves and performs a full attack, trading three points of attack bonus for damage.

Jump check for distance: [roll0]

First attack: Attack Roll [roll1], Damage [roll2]+[roll3]
Second attack: Attack Roll [roll4], Damage [roll5]+[roll6]

Marlowe raises his eyebrows as the wolves step through the grass. "Here doggy doggy," he mutters, grabbing the halberd with almost inhuman speed. "Niiiice doggy." Suddenly, he lunges forward, slashing powerfully at the first one, hoping to ward them off or take it out of the battle quickly.

Devmaar
2010-12-31, 10:54 AM
Marlowe leaps forward, his halberd cutting deep into the wolf's flesh. Snarling, the wolf lunges at him but Marlowe neatly sidesteps the attack.

Another wolf jumps out the foliage on the other side of the party and releases a green cloud from its muzzle (12 acid damage against everyone except Marlowe, REF DC 16 for half).

The third wolf joins its companion in attacking Marlowe, this time biting in his arm. Marlowe feels a strange burning sensation in his arm (11 damage +6 acid).

The Prof is up!

Belthasar
2010-12-31, 11:59 AM
"Winter wolves, but something's odd about them..." says Prof. Gaelis.

His psicrystal communicates telepathically with Gaelis ("Watch out!")

As an acid stream seems to cover a wide area, Gaelis reacted quickly, and summoned a magic shield to protect him from the harms of acid, at least temporally.

"Acid wolves?" the professor thinks, curious. "This is weirder than expected..."

Then he manifests a psychic power which displays a sonorous hum, and lifts the professor to the air.

Immediate Action vs the acid area attack: Energy Aegis (Resist Acid 20 during this round, so I take no damage from the wolves' acid attacks). It's a spell of Players Handbook 2.

Standard Action: Psionic Fly (I have fly speed 60 (good), and it will last 10 minutes). 7 pp expended, 54 remaining.

Move Action: Move upwards to see better.

Question: Was the acid area attack a cone or a stream?

Devmaar
2010-12-31, 12:09 PM
A cone

As the professor rises he sees a fourth wolf emerge alongside the one that used the acid attack and leap at Terryn, but its teeth skitter off her armour.

Ballard next, then Terryn, Then Marlowe again.

Belthasar
2010-12-31, 12:15 PM
"There's a fourth wolf coming from there!" says Gaelis to the group.

Grendus
2010-12-31, 12:28 PM
"I didn't even know there were three," Marlowe calls back, shaking his arm repeatedly to get the wolf off. "Do yours have acid fangs too? I bet these would go over really well as pets back home. Most dogs just chew on your slippers, these dissolve them." He delivers a harsh kick to the wolf's chest, finally dislodging it, and sets his feet for his next attack.

DoctorHobo
2011-01-01, 07:11 PM
Ballard's Reflex Save:
Carver's Reflex Save: [roll1]

I'll have Ballard ride up to the wolf that shot the cone of acid and attack it.
Attack: [roll2]
Damage: [roll]3d8+8

Ballard let out a roar of fury once the wolf's acid had hit him, and in retaliation he charged the offending beast and brought his blade down upon it.

Not charge as in the action, obviously. Just flavor~

Lady Moreta
2011-01-02, 02:41 AM
"Nice doggy?" Terryn shakes her head in exasperation at Marlowe's words. The next second she flings her hands up to cover her eyes as the acid launches at them and spins sideways as another wolf lunges and bounces off her armour.

"Let's see how well you do if you can't see," she mutters, pulling a small packet of ground mica from the pouch at her belt. A word and gesture later and she blows the dust towards the wolves.

Reflex: [roll0]

Casting Glitterdust at the biggest grouping of wolves (wanting to get as many covered in it as possible)
Will Save: 18

Devmaar
2011-01-02, 09:04 AM
That would be the two targeting Marlowe and they they are indeed blinded. Marlowe's turn

Grendus
2011-01-02, 09:19 AM
Swift action to activate Paimon's Power for +2 strength and +2 stamina.

Full attack against the already wounded wolf, power attacking for -3 attack bonus same as last time. Think I'll save my corrosive surge charges though, if it breathes acid it's probably resistant.

First Attack: attack roll [roll0], damage roll [roll1]+[roll2]
Second Attack: attack roll [roll3], damage roll [roll4]+[roll5]

Ok, might be a little outnumbered here. Paimon?

"Hah, thought you'd never ask," came the vague reply, like a fragment of a half forgotten thought. "But remember, strength may cleave through armor, but precision can cut like it's not there."

Yes, yes. Thank you for the swordplay lesson. Coming from someone who's been in a long-distance-no-contact relationship with his normal plane of existence for several centuries, your expertise is greatly appreciated, Marlowe replies, bringing his halberd to bear on the wounded wolf again with his newly augmented strength. Paimon's only reply was a ghostly chuckle.

Devmaar
2011-01-02, 04:19 PM
Marlowe deftly finishes the wolf.

The remaining wolf by Marlowe lunges at him clumsily but misses by a wide margin. The wolf that used it's breath weapon lunges forward at Ballard's mount, bringing it crashing to the ground.

Belthasar
2011-01-05, 10:57 AM
"This reminds me of old times..."

From above, Gaelis maneuvers his fly speed with precision, right above the newcoming wolf, and two fire rays emerge from the professor's hand, cascading downward to the wolf, scorching it.

Move action: Move away from the group, close to the fourth wolf that appeared last. I'd prefer to be at 50-ft right above the wolf.

Standard: Scorching Ray on that wolf.
Ray 1: [roll0] vs touch AC. [roll1] fire damage.
Ray 2: [roll2] vs touch AC. [roll3] fire damage. (Critical, I'll confirm in the OOC thread; result: 11.) :smallbiggrin:

Devmaar
2011-01-05, 11:35 AM
With a squeal the professor's target rears up and dies, black smoke rising from its scorched fur.

Ballard's turn

DoctorHobo
2011-01-05, 06:03 PM
I dunno what the check is for landing gracefully after one's mount is knocked out from under oneself, but I'll assume it's Ride and make one of those. Also assuming such an attempt is a move action, I'll just make the standard attack after dismounting.

Ride Check:
Attack: [roll1]
Damage: weapon: [roll]2d6+6 + shock: [roll2] + 2 magic = 17

Ballard leaped from his his mount as the wolf brought it down, then brought a vengeful slash from his greatsword down upon it.

Devmaar
2011-01-05, 06:44 PM
Ballard viciously swings at the wolf, drawing blood from its flank.

Behind him his mount struggles to its feat.

Marlowe

Grendus
2011-01-05, 08:16 PM
Dance of Death as a standard action. Using four points of power attack.

Not sure if I need to make a tumble check, though I should be able to pull it off easily. I'll throw in two here. [roll0][roll1]

Attack against the blind wolf: Attack [roll2], Damage: [roll3]+[roll4]

Attack against the other wolf: Attack [roll5], Damage: [roll6]+[roll7]

Also, activate Paimon's Defense Aura to add +5 AC to me and Ballard

"Remember, combat is like a dance," the words floated across Marlowe's mind. "Balance, poise... you must lead your opponent, you must..."

Did it ever occur to you that had you taken combat more seriously, you might not be in your current predicament? Marlowe cut him off sarcastically, shifting his weight before jamming the point of his halberd into the wolf in front of him. He withdraws it, spinning acrobatically before bounding across the battlefield to slam the axe head into the other wolf. Dancing never inflicted that much pain.

Devmaar
2011-01-05, 08:17 PM
Damn. Sorry Grendus, I just realised I skipped Terryn's go :smallredface:

Grendus
2011-01-05, 08:18 PM
That's fine, just calculate my turn after hers.

Lady Moreta
2011-01-06, 03:34 AM
Terryn watches, amused as Ballard and Marlowe make short work of the remaining wolves.

"You guys just go ahead without me," she calls cheerfully, not at all bothered that she clearly isn't needed. "Although..." with a shrug, she tips her head to make sure everyone is in range of her voice and starts to sing.

Don't worry about it, Terryn is rather superfluous in this fight anyway :smalltongue:

On the other hand, have some Inspire Courage +2 anyway :smallsmile:
+2 attack & damage
+2 saves against fear affects (in case the wolves are really scary :smalltongue:)

Belthasar
2011-01-06, 11:15 AM
Upon hearing Terryn's song, prof. Gaelis smiles in approval.

"Bardic magical song, huh?" he thinks. "That's really useful, specially with my fire rays or telekinetic maneuvers..."

Devmaar
2011-01-06, 11:18 AM
After Marlowe's agile display the blind wolf turns and clatters away back into the forest. The other tries to turn and run but is cut down by Ballard.

Grendus
2011-01-06, 12:34 PM
Perform(Dance) check. Binding Paimon forces you to dance when you hear music, unless you want to repress the urge in which case you take a -1 penalty to attack and damage rolls for the rest of the day, which hurts.

[roll0]

Marlowe feels his legs continue to move against his wishes. "Might want to cut it out," he murmurs, thinking it at least 8 times as loud in his mind. If your existence was as fleeting as mine, you would forget about the embarrassment and enjoy the motion. came the reply, as Marlowe's feet begin to swirl twice as fast.

Belthasar
2011-01-06, 01:06 PM
"Interesting," thinks the professor. "Looks like those two are complementing well, she sings and he dances..."

Lady Moreta
2011-01-06, 08:55 PM
Oh damn... When will I ever remember...

Seeing the remaining wolves fleeing and being cut down, Terryn stops her song. She moves towards the others, fingers sliding up and down the slender wand tucked securely in her belt.

"Did everyone get hit by the acid-breathing wolves?" She asks. "Does anyone need any healing?" She tugs the wand from her belt, spins it around her fingers then returns it to the belt with a flourish and a grin.

Belthasar
2011-01-06, 09:21 PM
"Not me at least, lass," says prof. Gaelis landing slowly, "but thank you. And beautifully performed by the way."

"Hmmm... Acid wolves?"

Knowledge (Arcana) to see if I know something about those weird acid wolves (well, besides being similar to winter wolves but breathing acid instead of ice):
[roll0]

Devmaar
2011-01-07, 11:17 AM
Gaeliss: You haven't heard of them, perhaps they're just one of the many oddities of Xen'Drik

A few moments after the fight you hear a voice from the direction the last wolf fled. A Shifter you hadn't seen or heard approach stands at the edge of the clearing.
Having some trouble with the wildlife?

Belthasar
2011-01-07, 11:38 AM
"Hmmm? It appears so... But who are you? Are you a native?"

Devmaar
2011-01-07, 12:15 PM
Not as such, no. Although that's not to say I don't know my way around. Looking back over his shoulder he calls out Wrack! You can come out now. turning back to the party he smiles and sticks out a hand, My names's Veymaar, my friend Wrack is just back there.

A moment later a large Warforged lumbers out of the forest somewhat less stealthily than Veymaar did.

More detailed description:
Veymaar appears unarmed and unarmoured, although his fingernails and teeth look unusually long and sharp. Aside from a dully glowing amulet at his throat on a thick leather cord that looks almost like a collar, his dress is rather plain.

Wrack is big and bulky, even by Warforged standards. Vicious looking spike cover his body, as well as the large shield which almost looks attached to the end of his left arm. in his right hand is a battleaxe.

DoctorHobo
2011-01-07, 04:07 PM
Ballard took his mount by the reins and patted its head. He'd let the more sociable members of his group speak with the newcomers for now. His current concern was the health of his mount, and he looked over it for any serious wounds.

No clue which check would help identify the seriousness of injury on a raptor (my real life experience in the fields of medicine and raptorology is limited), so I'll just slap a few down and if any of them are relevant, that's the one I meant. :smalltongue:

Heal: [roll0]
Knowledge (Nature): [roll1]
Spot: [roll2]

Grendus
2011-01-07, 05:54 PM
Use Buer's Healing Gift ability to patch up Ballard's mount. It's at will, or once every five rounds for 1d8+9. Since there's no hurry, and I want to look like a paladin, I'll heal [roll0] to it.

Also note that Marlowe has Fast Healing 1 from Buer.

Feeling his legs stop dancing, Marlowe settles in to inspect the damage to his arm. "If that's 'trouble', this will be the easiest job we ever pulled," he says, folding a flap of torn skin back into place and watching the skin meld seamlessly back onto his arm. "Much easier than the Red Slaad we hunted last year. Nobody even got implanted."

He walks over to Ballard and places his hands on his raptor. "Let's see what Dol Arrah can do for your mount," he says, invoking Buer's Healing to restore some of the damage.

Devmaar
2011-01-07, 06:07 PM
There was a wound on the Carver's leg, with signs of acid damage, but Marlowe's power sorted it out.

Belthasar
2011-01-07, 10:16 PM
"You could have attacked us in the middle of the fight with the wolves, so I pressume you're not bandits, but adventurers just like us. I'm Gaelis, and they are Terryn, Marlowe and Ballard. Say, how long were you two hiding there watching us?"

Gaelis' tone was not agressive or suspicious, but calm and genuinely curious.

Devmaar
2011-01-08, 07:25 AM
I heard the sound of fighting and though I'd take a look. I got here just as you flamed that wolf, Wrack was waiting further back. You might already have realised but he's not quite as good at going unnoticed as I am.

Anyway, what brings you to Xen'Drik?

Lady Moreta
2011-01-08, 09:43 AM
Terryn stepped forwards then, smiling

"Oh you know, the usual. Hunting artifacts, chasing monsters" she quite deliberatly switched the adjectives, grinning to show she was joking.

OOC:
Also, Sense Motive on all the stuff he just said, 'cause I realised I should have done it earlier... [roll0]

DoctorHobo
2011-01-08, 12:54 PM
A smile brightened Ballard's gruff exterior as his mount's wound was healed. He brought his hand down firmly on Marlowe's shoulder and playfully shook the man to show his thanks.

Now more sociable, Ballard lead the beast to the warforged and his friend.
"My name is Ballard Clarke, and I hunt monsters. You may well have heard of my exploits. I'm in Xen'Drik because that's where the biggest and toughest of the monsters live. For example, I'd like to consider myself knowledgeable on all manner of beasts, natural and magical alike, and I have never encountered a wolf that breathes acid. That tells me I'm on the right track. Just imagine what else I can come across and make a pair of shoes out of."

Grendus
2011-01-08, 04:06 PM
I would roll sense motive too, but Marlowe is as oblivious as a brick

"I'm mostly here for the adventure," Marlowe says, repositioning his holy symbol. "Though protecting Terryn and Co ranks high on the list."

Belthasar
2011-01-09, 08:41 AM
I'll roll a Sense Motive, just in case:

[roll0]

Lady Moreta
2011-01-09, 08:46 AM
Terryn eyes Marlowe with a look of amusement

"You know, I did just fine before I met you," she says smiling. Taking a step forward she offers her hand, "Terryn Nor, mediator, negotiator and sometime magic-support."

Devmaar
2011-01-09, 01:06 PM
Well, it's good to see you all. You can go a long time without seeing a smiling face out here. Say, are you looking for anything in particular? We know our way around a bit, might be able to give you a hand.

Belthasar
2011-01-09, 10:34 PM
"Frankly I see no reason of why should we exchange information," says Gaelis, "We have differen goals, but I can only talk you about mine. Particularly I was assigned to retrieve a statuette of The Keeper. Perhaps you've heard of it?"

Devmaar
2011-01-12, 01:38 PM
"A statue of the keeper? You may need to be a touch more specific," Veymaar grins.

Belthasar
2011-01-15, 12:15 AM
"Oh, I'm sorry, Veymaar," replies Gaelis. "I'm afraid the institution for which I work for didn't give me enough information. They just mentioned The Keeper. Yes, just as it sounds. I wonder if they wanted me to discover it..."

Did Morgrave University gave me more information about the statuette I seek? :smallsmile:

Devmaar
2011-01-15, 06:39 AM
Well, they told you it was in the same place as the gem Ballard's after, the scroll for that gave enough detail that you've got a decent idea where you're going.

Lady Moreta
2011-01-19, 03:49 AM
Terryn frowns slightly,

"Didn't you and Ballard find out that the statuette is in the same area Ballard was heading to himself Professor?"

Belthasar
2011-01-19, 11:38 AM
"Huh?.. Oh right! Right you are, lass! Yes Veymaar, I'm following Ballard over here, which share the same location goal with me. He's looking for something in the same area, so we must keep going southwards if I'm not mistaken..."

Devmaar
2011-01-23, 08:11 PM
Well, I don't think we can help you with that. Good luck though. He starts to walk away come on Wrack, let's leave them to it.

Belthasar
2011-01-23, 08:37 PM
"Wait, lads," professor Gaelis interrupts gently. "Excuse me, but... What were you looking for again? Maybe we could help you..."

Lady Moreta
2011-01-23, 09:16 PM
Terryn looks absolutely baffled for a split second, before her natural chatty tendencies reassert themselves and she steps forwards, holding out her hands towards Veymaar in a kind of entreaty.

"Wait," she says, echoing Gaelis. "You were so excited to see new faces just now, and yet you're already insisting that you just up and leave? Is everything all right?" Her grey eyes seem quietly concerned, she is careful to keep her skeptiscim to herself, though she can't help but think it seems rather odd.

Sense Motive: - I will roll in the OOC thread because I don't have Terryn's character sheet handy. Pretty sure I've rolled sense motive before so I'll have to flick through the thread to find her modifier. I just find it extremely odd that he was all excited to see people and is now "meh let's go"

Grendus
2011-01-23, 10:51 PM
Marlowe leans on the pole of his halberd, idly pulling a cloth out of his backpack and wiping what little hadn't already been dissolved by the enchantment clean until the steel shone once again.

"Eh, let them go," he says, sliding it back into the carrier on his back. "We have statues to find and bounties to claim."

Lady Moreta
2011-01-23, 11:23 PM
Terryn shoots Marlowe a sideways look,

"You know, you have an appaling lack of curiosity sometimes," she says, smiling.

Devmaar
2011-01-24, 09:41 AM
To Gaeliss Oh, we're not after anything in particular. We jus like to wander around, see what comes our way.

He smiles at Terryn No everything's fine, I just don't want to keep you. Besides, the longer we stand around chatting, the more likely something rather more dangerous than those wolves overhears us and comes to see what's happening.

Belthasar
2011-01-24, 10:54 AM
"In any case, Veymaar, Wrack, it was nice to meet you."

After the pair leaves, Gaelis turns to his companions. "That was weird. I guess that sort of things are pretty common in this place."

Lady Moreta
2011-01-24, 08:35 PM
"Your guess is as good as mine, Professor." Terryn shrugs and looks around. "We should probably listen to his advice though. Perhaps continuing on would be the best option? South?"

Belthasar
2011-01-24, 09:18 PM
"South sounds good, but let me verify it."

Gaelis, with his psionic flight ability still working, rushes upwards to have a better view of the landscape.

"Let's see, which way is better..."

Spot check if necessary: [roll0]

Devmaar
2011-01-25, 10:24 AM
What exactly are your criteria for 'better'?

Belthasar
2011-01-25, 01:26 PM
Nothing in particular. :smallsmile:

I just wanted to see what's in the surrounding area.

Devmaar
2011-01-27, 12:49 PM
Eastwards and Southwards is plain jungle. To the West you think you might be able to see the tops of some ruins.

Belthasar
2011-01-27, 09:20 PM
Gaelis finally lands.

"Lads, southwards is a good choice if you want to face the challenges of a dense jungle. But, I must inform you that I've spotted some ruins to the west. I don't know what you may think, but at least I've been curious about it."

DoctorHobo
2011-01-27, 09:29 PM
Ballard let out a brief grunt as he slammed his heavy sword into the ground. He stood there, hands gripping the guard of his blade as he thought. "What we're looking for is more likely to be in ruins than jungle, don't you think?"

Lady Moreta
2011-01-27, 10:36 PM
Terryn shrugs causally

"I'm just along for the ride," she says lightheartedly. "But if I get to pick, I'd prefer ruins over slogging through a jungle.

Grendus
2011-01-28, 04:33 PM
"Ruins are more likely to hold a prize, and make a better place to spend the night. Easier to watch too, in case there are more acidic wolves, or worse. Lead on."

Belthasar
2011-01-28, 08:32 PM
"Very well, lads, we shall head west then!"

Gaelis takes his time to consult some maps before walking westwards, hoping for everyone to go with him.

DoctorHobo
2011-01-29, 12:33 PM
Ballard quickly mounts Carver the Carver (Ballard is not an imaginative fellow) and follows along.

Devmaar
2011-01-29, 07:19 PM
Assuming you head to the ruins.

It looks like the remains of an ancient fortress. The walls have crumbled and the whole thing is completely overgrown. In one corner are the ashes from a fire, someone has been here recently.

Grendus
2011-01-29, 07:24 PM
Marlowe walks over to the wall, digging in the abandoned fire pit with the point of his halberd. "Looks like we weren't the only ones with the idea of staying here. We should probably do some exploring before we set up camp, there's no law in the jungle, whoever set up camp here is still nearby and might be preparing an ambush."

Lady Moreta
2011-01-30, 05:59 AM
Terryn joins Marlowe by the firepit, lightly shoving his halberd out of the way and burying her hand into the ash, testing for warmth. She pulls her hands free and dusts them off.

"Indeed," she agrees, rising back to her feet. "I'd rather not be surprised in the night. She looks around the ruins, with a quietly speculative look on her face.

"They're kind of pretty really, wonder who lived here?"

How hot are the ashes? cold or still warm? wanting to get a feel for how long the fire's been sitting there.

Also - on the off chance Terryn does know something about these ruins, have a couple of rolls, just in case :smallsmile:

Knowledge History:[roll0]
Bardic Knowledge:[roll1]

Sorry, I'm an archaeologist by training, you give me ruins with a firepit in it and my first reaction is going to be 'how warm are the ashes?' 'let me look at the ruins? what can I tell from them?'

Devmaar
2011-01-30, 09:03 AM
The ashes are cold.

Terryn:
Terryn estimates that the ruins are at least a few centuries old

Belthasar
2011-01-30, 01:07 PM
"Hmmm... Watch my back, lads," whispers Gaelis to everyone. "I'm gonna make some recognaissance... It will take twenty minutes. One of you should silently scout ahead, but not too far..."

Gaelis closes his eyes and concentrates for ten minutes on some unseen force.

Casting Arcane Eye (20 minutes casting time, 10 minutes duration): I create an invisible magical sensor which sees just like a human does, and moves at a speed of 30.

I send it to explore the ruins (very focused on ambush movement) and the surrounding jungle if possible (not too far away).

Lady Moreta
2011-01-30, 10:32 PM
Terryn skirts the firepit and leans up against a broken wall, flicking at a couple of stubbon pieces of ash. Giving up, she scrubs her hands on her skirt.

"Well, the ash is cold. So it's probably been around a day since anyone was here - or rather, since anyone was here and using this for a fire." She leans backwards, gently tapping her head on the stone behind her. "These ruins are at least a couple of hundred years old," she comments, "not that I'm entirely sure how that's going to help us. Does that scroll of yo-" she breaks off as Gaelis begins casting his spell. Instead she turns to Marlowe

"You know, that's the third time he's said that. Do I really look that much like a man?"

Grendus
2011-01-31, 10:19 AM
You never posted a description. You have a high charisma though, so I'm going to go off that.

Marlowe shrugs. "Not when you stand in profile," he teases, intentionally not making eye contact and trying (and failing) not to grin. "You look fine. If it bothers you that much, come help me scout. Unless you want to volunteer to cook dinner..." Still grinning, he shoulders his halberd and heads out to explore the ruins.

Lady Moreta
2011-01-31, 09:34 PM
Terryn starts laughing and - quite deliberately - takes a deep breath,

"Why thank you sir," she pauses, turns to Marlowe and quite obviously looks him up and down, "you're not so bad yourself" she grins impishly at him.

She steps away from the wall and begins poking around the ruins nearby.

"You and Ballard go, I'll stay here and mind the professor. Besides - I wouldn't want to distract you." Grinning, she wandered off in the opposite direction, occasionally bending down to poke at a bit of loose rock, making sure to stay within sight of Gaelis.

Description: Tall. Willowy. Blonde. Need I say more? :smallwink::smalltongue:

Grendus
2011-02-01, 11:01 PM
Staying within 90 feet of the party.
Survival check to find something edible. I don't need to since I have everlasting rations, but since we take the time to RP these things out some fresh food would be nice: [roll0]
Search check for everything else: [roll1]

For a brief backstory, Paimon was an elf noble and master swordsman, as well as a notorious ladies man. Several jealous suitors kidnapped him in retaliation and cut off his sword hand, so he had it replaced with a jeweled prosthetic that could be swapped for a rapier and defeated them again, stopping short of killing them only because a mutual love asked him to dance before he could land a killing stroke. The suitors kidnapped him again and cut off all his limbs and replaced them with swords. At the next party, Paimon returned, leaving a trail of blood sword-prints before vanishing outside of reality.

Marlowe watches Terryn for a few seconds before summoning every ounce of willpower he has and turning to explore the ruins. "Now I'm going to need to find some cold water," Marlowe chuckles, occasionally prodding something with his halberd or brushing it aside to look for edible plants or roots. Combat always worked up an appetite, and since he kept the huntress bound for her healing abilities, he might as well make the trade off more useful.

"Bah, you humans. No appreciation for courtship or decency, all lewdness and innuendo" Paimon suddenly whispers, pushing the thoughts through the channel between mind and soul. As compared to yours, which involved swordplay and murder? "Touche." Paimon went silent for a time, probably mulling over his previous life and the glimpses of experience he got from the dozens of binders who were strong enough to call him.

Lady Moreta
2011-02-02, 05:45 AM
Without looking back, Terryn gives a throaty chuckle

"Damn straight," she whispers to herself, smiling and looking rather pleased. She continues to pace around the area, being careful to ensure she can always see Gaelis as he concentrates. "Humans are odd," she muses thoughtfully to herself. "Half the race is just after a quickie in the dark, no consequences, no care... the other half is all about love." Terryn reaches down and plucks a small flower growing tenaciously in the shelter of a ruined wall. "I don't get love." She sniffs the flower and starts humming under her breath. "Still, it makes for some good songs..."

Glancing up, Terryn checks that Marlowe has gone. The last thing she wants to do is force him to start dancing again. The others have so far shrugged it off as an oddity, or possibly the consequence of a long association with a singer, but if they started asking awkward questions. Well, there was a limit on even Terryn's ability to lie her way out of a confrontation. Satisfied, she twirls the flower between her fingers and starts singing - an old love long she learned years ago.

Taila I saw you standing so shy
Alone in the night
I came to you, you smiled at me
And said you could but try

And now you are
The sun, moon and stars to me
More precious than silver or gold
Gems have no hold over me
For in you I have and I hold

Search check for hunting around the ruins, spot for keeping an eye on Gaelis and the surrouding forest.
Search: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]

*Paimon's backstory*

That's nasty...

Devmaar
2011-02-02, 11:21 AM
Marlowe, You find a plant you recognise, when cooked in a fire the roots are tasty and sustaining. There's enough for three full meals or you could spread it between all four of you with a little of something else to round it off.

Terryn, You come across an old, rusted metal grille set into the ground in a corner of the collapsed walls. It looks like it has been opened recently and is held shut by a lock that that looks almost new.

Gaeliss, Your sensors find nothing in the forest but when they return to the ruins they see Terryn looking at something on the ground (see above spoiler)

Lady Moreta
2011-02-02, 09:15 PM
Terryn broke off her song abruptly as she stumbled across a grille in the corner of a couple of the crumbled walls. Bending down, she takes a closer look

"Well, that's interesting. Now, why would an old, rusty grille like you need a nice new shiny lock?" She straightens up, intending to alert the others but catches sight of Gaelis concentrating. "Eh, you aren't going anywhere," she says aloud, yes, talking to a metal grille. She wanders back to Gaelis, waiting until he completes his spell before interrupting.

DoctorHobo
2011-02-02, 11:56 PM
Ballard raises his sword and glances to Terryn.
"That lock giving you problems?"

Grendus
2011-02-03, 12:57 AM
Marlowe returns to the group, holding the plant by the the leaves. "Didn't find any treasure or creatures, nothing in ambush. Found dinner though," he says, proffering the dirty plant. "Wash it clean and cook the roots. They're pretty good, a little crunchy and sour. Beats trail rations any day." He puts the roots in his backpack and leans casually against the wall, waiting for Gaelis to finish his spell.

Belthasar
2011-02-03, 01:05 AM
"Wait a minute lad," Gaelis says to Marlowe with his eyes still closed. "I think there are still some minutes left. Just give me a moment and I shall check what's inside that intriguing grille..."

If I still have time remining of the duration of the spell, I direct the sensor to the grille, to see what's inside it.

Lady Moreta
2011-02-03, 02:01 AM
Terryn smiles warmly at Ballard,

"Not once you hit it with that I won't," she says, amused. She glances at the plant in Marlowe's hand then shrugs. Undoubtedly he is correct about it being better than trail rations. Not much is worse. She hops up onto a low broken wall and sits neatly, idly swinging her feet as she waits for Gaelis to finish. Absentmindedly she starts to hum, including snatches of phrases and the odd word from the song.

Devmaar
2011-02-03, 10:03 AM
Gaeliss,Beyond the grate is the start of a flight of stairs, but it you can only see for a few steps before it gets too dark for vision

Belthasar
2011-02-03, 10:57 AM
"Okay lads... and lass," says Gaelis opening his eyes and reuniting with everyone else. "I'm done here. There's a stair down there leading to a dark tunnelway or something. We'll need some source of illumination if we want to access."

Grendus
2011-02-03, 11:59 AM
Marlowe reaches into his backpack and pulls out a flaming sphere, which he releases into the air above his head. It begins to spin dizzyingly fast, causing Marlowe to stumble for a second before grabbing it and placing it in a higher orbital. "Illumination and nausea. I pack light."

Lady Moreta
2011-02-03, 09:57 PM
Terryn inclines her head graciously towards Professor Gaelis, looking all of a sudden, as though she belonged in court, rather than a jungled-surrounded ruin. The affect disappears instantly as she turns towards Marlowe and rolls her eyes at him,

"Impressive. I'll skip the nausea though, if you don't mind."

Grendus
2011-02-04, 09:41 AM
"You don't know what you're missing," Marlowe says, staggering into the wall. He again seizes the burning Ioun Stone and places it into an even higher orbital, finally finding one that's too high for him to see.

Belthasar
2011-02-04, 11:25 AM
"Hmmm... Illuminating the area with a torch would be a good idea before the tough lads here decide to go down to investigate. Unfortunately, I did not prepare any spell that can increase vision to everyone, too bad," he says shaking his head. "However, I can expand my own sense of touch to detect any hidden or invisible creatures up to 60 feet away. I've never tried this in an ancient catacomb, though..."

Lady Moreta
2011-02-04, 07:47 PM
Terryn leans over and peers into the darkness. She straightens abruptly and scrounges in her belt pouch for a minute, tugging out a small silver coin and what appears to be glowing moss. Holding them both in her hand she murmers over them and then the coin lights up.

"Try this," she says, holding up the glowing coin. "I'll drop it down and we can at least have a quick look before sending in the troops," she grins at Marlowe and carefully drops the coin into the darkness, hoping to get it to the bottom of the stairs. "Besides," she adds, head cocked to hear the coin bounce on the staircase, "having more than one light source never killed anyone."

She straightens again, looking thoughtful, then adds

"For that matter, I have another spell that should let us get an idea of what's down there. If we'd rather check it out before going ourselves. Gaelis, did you sense if there was anyone there?" She picks up the lock and fingers it, "It doesn't really make sense that it would be locked if people were down there. And the ashes were cold. I suspect it's more likely it was locked because whoever it was has left, and doesn't want - people like us - to interfere" she chuckles at that last bit, then eyes the others curiously.

Cast light on the coin obviously (I'm a total dope, I forgot it was one of her spells) trying to get it to the bottom of the stairwell, Dev, want me to roll anything?
The other spell she's thinking of is Spymaster's Coin (and if I'll put away my phb and get complete scoundrel out I'll even be able to tell you what it does - this game is so much easier when I'm not at work) - creates a scrying sensor, once you activate it you can either see or hear as if you were in the object's location (acts like clairaudience/clairvoyance). Thought I'd put it to the party if we wanna bother with it or just charge on down.

Devmaar
2011-02-04, 07:53 PM
At the bottom of a short flight of worn, stone stairs is a sturdy looking wooden door.

Grendus
2011-02-04, 09:41 PM
Corrosive Surge on the lock: [roll0] Acid damage.
I presume I don't need to make an attack roll, since I'm just placing the point inside the lock.

Marlowe carefully places the point of his halberd against the lock, concentrating on the green amethyst set in the pole as a surge of concentrated acid flows over the head and lock. "Let's get this show on the road, shall we?" he says, leaning heavily on the point to drive it through the weakened metal before lifting it to inspect the damage.

Lady Moreta
2011-02-04, 10:37 PM
"I can't see any reason why not," Terryn says cheerfully, coming down the stairs and scooping up her brightly lit coin as she reaches the bottom.

Devmaar
2011-02-05, 04:50 AM
The lock melts away.

Belthasar
2011-02-05, 02:44 PM
"No lass," Gaelis answers to Terryn. "I couldn't see anything down there with the magical sensor. I think the coin was far more effective, indeed."

Grendus
2011-02-05, 06:30 PM
Marlowe joins Terryn at the bottom, then tries the door to see if it's locked.

Devmaar
2011-02-05, 07:03 PM
The door is locked, but in poor condition.

Grendus
2011-02-05, 10:16 PM
Strength check to kick the door in: [roll0]

Marlowe leans back and gives the door a solid kick to see if he can simply smash it off its hinges.

DoctorHobo
2011-02-06, 12:10 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------
On the condition that the strength check fails and nothing spectacular happens, e.g., the door becomes an owlbear and shoots fireballs at us

"Stand back, sir. When you've got a job to do, be sure to bring the proper tools."
Ballard raises his sword his massive blade and slams it against the door with a primal shout.

Attack against the door: [roll0]
Slashing damage: [roll1] (Adamantine)
Shock damage: [roll2]
+2 magic damage

If the door is already broken or anything else, Ballard simply continues to be present, watching the events unfold silently.

Devmaar
2011-02-06, 05:10 AM
The door turns into a fireball and shoots owlbears at you wait, no.

The door simply quivers slightly under Marlowe's kick, but Ballard's sword leaves it in splinters. Beyond, the light illuminates the beginning of a worn stone floor.

Belthasar
2011-02-06, 10:49 AM
"Everything safe down there?" asks Gaelis to Marlowe and Ballard.

Grendus
2011-02-06, 03:58 PM
"Seems so," Marlowe says, walking forward into the darkness. "I'm not dead yet... I think."

Belthasar
2011-02-06, 06:49 PM
"Hehehe, that's good!" replies Gaelis. "Fortunately, few spells do exist that can turn living people into undead in a short amount of time; and moreover, the result would be a mindless servant. I feel relieved to hear your words, lad."

And turning to Terryn, with a bow and gentle gesture, he invites her to enter the chamber. "Please," he says politely. "The warriors have secured the area, miss. I'll go after you and cover your back -within the limits of my own possibilities, yes."

Lady Moreta
2011-02-06, 08:44 PM
What happened to my post? :smallconfused: I replied to this thread last night and it's gone... unless of course I forgot to actually hit 'post' which wouldn't surprise me... oh well :smallsmile:

"You know, I don't hold much hope for you if you can't even decide whether or not you're dead," Terryn says, unable to stop herself from teasing as she smiles gracefully at Gaelis and steps through the doorway, holding her coin aloft. Her hand rests lightly on the hilt of her longsword, but otherwise she betrays no signs of nervousness.

Grendus
2011-02-07, 01:08 AM
"Brains," Marlowe agrees, heading deeper into the tunnel, illuminating further into the area beyond the smashed door with the flickering illumination of his everburning ioun stone.

DoctorHobo
2011-02-07, 01:39 AM
Ballard, thrilled with his victory over the door, strides confidently beside Marlowe, sharing the light of the ioun stone.

Lady Moreta
2011-02-07, 03:10 AM
"Brains?" Terryn explodes into giggles, "I'm not sure you have one if that's the best you can come up with." She continued chuckling until she noticed the way the sound echoed and fell silent immediately. Instead she moved closer to a wall and ran her fingers along it, then dropped to one knee, moving her light close to the floor.

Wondering - are the walls dry or damp?
Also Search:[roll0] to check the floor for any footprints - of people that aren't us that is :smalltongue:

Belthasar
2011-02-07, 11:34 AM
Gaelis climbs down the shaft and finally joins the others.

"Heheh, good one,Terryn, lass," he says smiling. "You'd be surprised how vesatile can be brainless undead regarding their diet! Personally, I'd prefer to be attacked by a zombie calling brains than... Say, kidneys... Or livers... Ew."

He looks around, walking two slow steps.

Grendus
2011-02-07, 09:13 PM
"Spleeeeeeeen," Marlowe moans, walking with his arms at shoulder height. "Doesn't have the same ring to it, I suppose, though having your spleen ripped out and eaten still sounds painful."

Lady Moreta
2011-02-07, 10:55 PM
Terryn bursts out laughing "I am officially sorry I said anything, she says, even as she lashes out with a hand from where she crouches, aiming to clobber Marlowe on - whatever part of him she can reach from where she is. "We may want to keep the volume down until we can tell if we're alone down here or not."

Grendus
2011-02-08, 01:18 AM
Marlowe chuckles as he takes the blow - ironically on his lower chest. "You started it," he says, keeping his voice conspicuously lower than her laughter.

Lady Moreta
2011-02-08, 03:33 AM
Terryn straightens up and jabs Marlowe again in the same spot. "I'll finish it too, if you're not careful." She dusts off her hands, keeping her voice low "And you're the one who started going on about brains."

idle curiousity - why is it ironic? never mind, I realised lower chest = spleen (and liver and kidneys) location last night as I was getting ready for bed.

Belthasar
2011-02-08, 09:11 PM
"Right, right," Gaelis says still smiling, but lowering his voice. "Our spleens could be an easy prey if we keep laughing like this! (Not that I didn't enjoy that short, but amusing conversation)."

Gaelis says one last thing before focusing. "You three remind me of a group of students I had back in Morgrave. I remember them gladly."

Then, he closes his eyes (for a brief second before it, his eyes seem to glow with a faint blue aura, but it's almost imperceptible) and his blue aura seem to expand quickly, then fade away. "Now now, don't call me a pervert, lads (and lass), but I can sense you all right now. You're alive and well. Yes."

Manifest Touchsight (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/touchsight.htm).

I expand my sense of touch to detect anything in a 60-ft radius with it. I could detect hidden or invisible creatures, among other things.

5 pp spended, 49 pp left.

A (just in case) note for the DM: Everyday I cast "Detect Remote Viewing (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/detectRemoteViewing.htm)," so I can instantly know when something is scrying on me. The info is mentioned on the sheet. :smallwink:

Grendus
2011-02-09, 12:07 AM
Ready for something to happen, or to find out what's in the tunnels. Not that I'm not tremendously enjoying this, I'm just curious about what this actually is.

The lower chest is where the spleen is. Thus the irony.

"I can't help it," Marlowe says as Terryn's knuckles bounce off his mithril chain mail and supernaturally hard skin. "I always feel like a walking dead when I'm hungry."

Lady Moreta
2011-02-09, 01:39 AM
"You look like one too," Terryn mutters under her breath as she turns away towards the wall. Raising the lit coin she brushes her hand across the surface of the wall and examines the result.

I'm curious about where we are too... and that was a pretty good search check I'm wondering about too :smalltongue:

While I'm at it...
Search:[roll0] along the walls to see if there are any carvings or other markings (like someone scratching marks so they don't get lost).

Devmaar
2011-02-09, 11:01 AM
The room is a 50' square, with a door in the center of each wall (including the one you came through). Each door has a triangle carved in it. The one to your left points down, the one to your right points right and the one ahead of you points left. On the back of the door you entered is an arrow pointing up.

Terryn doesn't find any markings and Gaeliss doesn't sense anything invisible.

Grendus
2011-02-09, 11:54 AM
"I vote we go right," Marlowe says, inspecting the triangles on the doors. "Sticking to the right wall the whole way makes navigation easier, and if the triangles are meant to be some kind of map going down straight away could be a bad idea."

Belthasar
2011-02-09, 12:27 PM
Still with his expanded touch sense active, Gaelis inspects curiously the triangles of both doors.

"Yeah," he says. "We had some of these ones at Morgrave too. The triangle pointing up was the women's restroom, and the one pointing down was the men's."

He coughs quietly before adding: "Alternatively, these ones could be simpler and just point if the stairs go upwards or downwards... Just a thought."

Grendus
2011-02-09, 09:00 PM
"I'm sure there's a perfectly sordid story behind that anecdote," Marlowe grins as he moves to the right hand door and once again tries the handle.

Belthasar
2011-02-09, 09:16 PM
"Um, yes, there is, lad," says Gaelis. "I would not tell it by now, since it could distract you. I'll leave it pending for a campfire. One clue, however: Human anatomy."

Lady Moreta
2011-02-09, 10:10 PM
Terryn shrugs, moving further out into the room, apparently oblivious to the conversation going on behind her - though closer inspection reveals that her shoulders are shaking. "Possibly, but I've never seen any staircases that go sideways. Still, it could indicate the direction of the passageways behind them. She moves towards the door on the right and presses her ear to it "Sticking to the same direction sounds like a good idea to me. Well, I can't hear anything,"" she leans back from the door and tugs what appears to be a small length of copper wire from the pouch at her belt. Holding it in one hand she moves to a spot where she can see everyone and murmurs softly.

Casting message so we can stay in touch.

Listen:[roll0] at the door, though my modifier isn't great so someone else might like a try.

Also: thank you for the moderately dirty joke. I needed that childish snicker :smallsmile:

Devmaar
2011-02-13, 05:57 AM
Terryn cannot hear anything through the door. Whereabouts in the room is everyone standing?

Lady Moreta
2011-02-13, 09:30 PM
To the left of the door she was listening at, either against the wall or 5ft away from it towards the centre of the room. Whichever position gives her the ability to see everyone for the purposes of casting message.

Grendus
2011-02-14, 08:17 PM
Marlowe would be standing near the door, probably diagonally adjacent and behind Terryn.

Belthasar
2011-02-15, 12:28 AM
Gaelis probably should be at the very center of the room, surveying everything with his Touchsight power, or his normal vision.

Devmaar
2011-03-03, 03:50 PM
You hear footsteps coming down the steps outside.

Belthasar
2011-03-03, 07:05 PM
"You hear something?" Gaelis mumbles. "Looks like someone's coming this way..."

Grendus
2011-03-03, 07:32 PM
"You mean sounds like," Marlowe replies quietly, moving to hide against the wall and silently drawing his halberd. "You sense too much with your mind and not with your body."

Belthasar
2011-03-03, 07:39 PM
"Very perceptive!" Gaelis says while smiling and nodding in approval. "I just deduced something with my mind, but rather, I'm still using my own touch sense to perceive something. Either way, whoever is out there, is not making an effort to remain hidden..."

Do I notice the newcomer with my Touchsight (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/touchsight.htm)? (60-ft range)

Lady Moreta
2011-03-03, 11:35 PM
"Now now gentlemen. You can compare magics later, right now, we have a guest." Terryn's voice was soft and amused as she moved to the wall beside Marlowe, careful to keep him between her and whoever was coming down the stairs. She dug into the pouch at her waist and pulled out a small straight piece of iron, "Just in case," she murmured.

whoiam
2011-03-04, 01:23 AM
As I understand it, the route in is [Broken Door], [Stairs], [Corridor], [Closed Door], [Party], right?

The first non-magically-transmitted sign of Edana's approach was a light, shining under the doorway that separated the party from the exit. Unlike those who went before her, Edana was not using up magic to light her path - she'd gone the more conventional path of buying a lantern and bringing some oil with her.

But it was not long before the sound caught up with the light - she was wearing full plate, after all, and it required a skilled sneak indeed to walk on a stone floor in metal boots and make no sound while doing so.

Edana was not a skilled sneak.

The footsteps stopped just on the far side of the door, and there was a moment's silence. The light went out. And then the door was pushed open - slowly - by what looked rather like either a long pole, or the reversed shaft of a polearm...

Pausing here to let you respond to the door opening:)

Devmaar
2011-03-04, 12:36 PM
[COLOR="blue"]Do I notice the newcomer with my Touchsight (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/touchsight.htm)? (60-ft range)

Requires line of effect, so no.

As I understand it, the route in is [Broken Door], [Stairs], [Corridor], [Closed Door], [Party], right?

Yup.

Devmaar
2011-03-04, 12:37 PM
[COLOR="blue"]Do I notice the newcomer with my Touchsight (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/touchsight.htm)? (60-ft range)

Requires line of effect, so no.

Yup.

Grendus
2011-03-04, 09:08 PM
It was at this point that Marlowe realized that he still had the flaming ioun stone whirling around his head, casting disorienting shadows throughout the room and, more importantly, giving their position away to the newcomer. Deciding the element of surprise was completely ruined, he completely abandoned it.

"Who are you," Marlowe says, opening the door and holding his halberd ready, but not pointed at the newcomer. "And why are you following us?"

Lady Moreta
2011-03-04, 11:58 PM
"Marlowe," Terryn lays her hand lightly on his halberd, stepping forwards as she does so, lit coin held in the flat of her palm. "I don't think anyone that unconcerned with stealth is going to be a problem." She smiles and steps further forward, "my name is Terryn, the suspicious one here is Marlowe and the good Professor Gaelis stands there. Then we have Ba-" she breaks off abruptly, staring confused around the room.

"Where did Ballard go?"

Belthasar
2011-03-05, 12:03 AM
"To the restroom, obviously," replies Gaelis, slowly shaking his head, looking down. "I told you the doors reminded me of certain places of Morgrave!"

whoiam
2011-03-05, 07:32 AM
Like Marlowe, Edana grounds the shaft of her halberd and holds the polearm at ease.

"Well, this was a fortress, so it presumeably *has* restrooms somewhere. Defending fortifications is quite hard enough without having to clamber over excrement when retreating from redoubt to fort - and noone ever enjoys having to squat over a parapet to relieve themselves. Especially if the enemy's archers are awake. 'Dying for a piss' can become all too literal in those situations."

Said with all the conviction of the professional soldier.

"I've still got a scar from that one. Anyway! I cannot help but notice a certain fallacy in your logic, Terryn. The assumption that everything dangerous will be stealthy. When was the last time you saw an armoured knight sneak up on anything?" With her free gauntlet, Edana raps her knuckles against her breastplate. It sounds like a slightly muffled gong being rung. "For all its utility in battle, it is rather like trying to sneak around while wearing an entire drumkit.

That said, while I am dangerous, what I am not is hostile. And since you have offered me your names, mine is 'Edana'."

Lady Moreta
2011-03-05, 08:09 AM
Terryn inclined her head graciously, clearly trying hard not to laugh, "A valid point Edana. I suppose I meant that if you were trying to sneak up on us - well, you weren't doing a very good job. Why are you here, if I may ask?"

whoiam
2011-03-05, 08:16 AM
"Lights in a ruin means one of three things: Travellers in desperate need of shelter, bandits in desperate need of a less-visible hiding place, or some group of adventurers looking for forgotten riches in all the right places.

Either way, it seemed more interesting than camping by the road."

Belthasar
2011-03-05, 12:56 PM
Gaelis' eyes widened in surprise as the armored lady appeared talking about excrements and piss.

He shrugged. The woman sure liked to talk dirty.

"There was... There was no need to be so... explicit...!"

Then he calmed down and almost laughed in embarrasment. "I apologize for my rudeness, miss Edana. It's just that I've lost the track of our companion and your open language just took me off-guard. Anyways, make yourself at home."

whoiam
2011-03-05, 05:47 PM
"Then I apologise, professor." A bow was offered to the old academic. "For a priest, my tongue is foul, and for a soldier my language is fair. A situation most aptly explained by the fact that I have, technically, been both."

In response to the invitations, Edana steps further into the room and carefully closes the door behind her.

"That said, I see two logical explanations for the disappearance of your companion - although admittedly broad ones. Either he wandered off of his own accord, in which case staying put for a reasonable amount of time offers the greatest chance of a reunion unless you have some way of communicating with him... Or he was taken, and we would be better suited to look to our defenses - or sleep outside."

Analysis delivered, Edana found herself a nice spot against the wall to the left of the door she had just entered through, and leaned against it.

"Or you could try rushing into a rescue attempt. But I do not feel suicidal enough to rush into a confrontation with an unknown foe on what is presumeably their home territory, so I hope you will excuse me for insisting that if you take that option, you do so without me.

Do not get me wrong, I am perfectly happy to attack another's fortifications. I just tend to prefer the stakes to be a little higher than one adventurer's life before I take such a risk.

Grendus
2011-03-05, 08:36 PM
Marlowe grins, leaning his halberd back against his shoulder. "I like her," he says, offering his hand to the newcomer. "I'm Marlowe, ex-paladin of the Sovereign Host. Or rather, current paladin formerly of the Sovereign Host. I'm not going to be wearing black platemail and animating corpses any time soon."

He turns to look at the space where Ballard had been standing. "No tracks leading to the 'bathroom', no motion on the door or nearby. He just... vanished. Unless we see him, not much we can do to track him down. Maybe we can find a wizard to trace him when we get back to Khorvair."

Lady Moreta
2011-03-05, 11:16 PM
Terryn gaped at Edana for a second, before her sense of humour got the better of her and she burst out laughing. She eyed Marlowe sideways and commented dryly "You would..." She grinned at Edana again, "Then again, I rather think I like you too. Welcome to the group."

She turns to survey the room, "I think you're right Marlowe, we're here for an artefact hunt, I think that's the best option, we can search for Ballard later. I believe that was the door we were planning to open first? Shall we?" Her grey eyes twinkled suddenly, "Unless anyone needs to use the restroom first?"

Grendus
2011-03-06, 03:27 PM
Auran Mask gives a +5 bonus to saving throws against poison, for those who don't recognize it.

Marlowe sunders the door lock. Power Attack away five points of attack bonus for ten points of damage.
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]+[roll2]

"After Ballard? I lost my Auran Mask in the Underdark, thanks, I'll hold it," Marlowe says, picking up his halberd. He returns to the door and grabs the handle in both hands, leveraging it into a powerful blow against the door lock. "I don't think any of us have the subtlety to sneak through here anyways."

Devmaar
2011-03-06, 03:32 PM
The breaks under Marlowe's attack and the door swings open to reveal...

Darkness. You can see nothing beyond the doorway.

whoiam
2011-03-06, 04:10 PM
"I am sure my bladder will last until we find outselves with a parapet to hand..."

Ever practical, Edana's first response to the darkness beyond the doorway was to re-lgiht her lantern and shine it down the corridor.

"Ooh, spooky. May I suggest we take an alternative route? I for one would not waste the magic to shroud a corridor in darkness unless I intended to leave traps or guards behind..."

Devmaar
2011-03-06, 05:47 PM
Magical Darkness

Belthasar
2011-03-06, 07:27 PM
"Here, here," says Gaelis trying to make his own way between Marlowe and Edana. "Please allow me..."

Gaelis concentrated his enhanced touch sense to see what's there.

I try to sense (with Touchsight) what's inside the magical darkness, up to 60 feet away. :smallwink:

Devmaar
2011-03-06, 08:00 PM
Gaeliss:
The Corridor extends straight for 50' beyond which you sense nothing(the floor continues to the edge of the radius). There is also an opeing on the right-hand side about 30' down.

Lady Moreta
2011-03-06, 11:55 PM
Terryn firmly swallowed her laughter and instead focused on Gaelis "Can you sense anthing Professor? Or should we check behind door number two?" She asks, gesturing to the other doors in the area.

Belthasar
2011-03-07, 12:07 AM
"Hmmmm... I sense no living being there, lass," answers Gaelis. "I perceive an opening on a side of the wall, 30 feet down."

He then turns to his companion. "As you wish, let's see what's beyond the ladies' room!"

Grendus
2011-03-07, 10:07 AM
Marlowe bites his lip, then closes the broken door and goes to try the other one. "I'm not going to comment," he says, re-strapping his halberd across his back. "Though at this rate, I am going to need a bathroom."

Lady Moreta
2011-03-08, 02:49 AM
Terryn grinned, even as she moved to the next door, "What?" she said, letting mock surprise fill her tone, "you've never seen the inside of a ladies bathroom?" She reached out then and tried the handle, checking to see if it was locked.

I can't remember if we already tested all the door handles and I figured better to check if it's actually looked before Marlowe destroys another one :smalltongue:

Devmaar
2011-03-08, 10:34 AM
So the 'down' triangle?

The door is stiff but, with some effort, swings open. Beyond is the top of a descending spiral staircase.

Belthasar
2011-03-08, 12:06 PM
"Now now, ladies and gentleman," Gaelis says. "We have to choose between a dark path and a staircase slowly spiraling downwards. What should it be?"

Grendus
2011-03-08, 12:32 PM
"I went in the one at the temple school," Marlowe says, reminiscing. "I don't remember much, just a lot of screaming and then someone lifting me by my left ear. Never got the nerve up to open my eyes." He pauses thoughtfully, closing the door and returning to the blacked out hallway. "In retrospect, I'm surprised they let me be a paladin after that. Of course, I'm also surprised my hearing came back, so it was a miraculous day all in all."

"Anyways, I vote we go down the blackened hallway behind the broken door, rather than down the stairs behind the door that we can shut and will creak loudly if anything tries to follow us."

whoiam
2011-03-08, 03:50 PM
"I'm sorry? You would prefer to go down the corridor in which we are most likely to be followed, unknown, by hostile forces - and which is most likely to be guarded by still-functioning magic or traps - than take the staircase designed to be defended by the soldiers that appear to no longer garisson here?"

It's easy to spot that Edana is half-convinced Marlowe's a moron, and that the only reason she's half convinced is that he may just be error prone...

Still, she moves towards the stop of the staircase, switching her Halberd for the rather smaller Heavy Flail.

"I should have brought a short spear, " she muses, "but I was foolishly expecting to fight in non-enclosed spaces."

Grendus
2011-03-08, 04:17 PM
"The professor can sense anything following us, but with the door destroyed we would have no warning," Marlowe says simply. "I would rather fight back down a hallway against a foe as equally impaired as ourselves than upwards against whatever may have been locked behind that doorway. But the decision, at least for myself, lies with my employer," he says, turning to Gaelis. "It is merely my opinion that since we can bar the staircase but not the hallway that we should attempt to clear that area first."

Belthasar
2011-03-08, 04:27 PM
Gaelis lowers his head, meditative. Hand on his beard.

"Well," he finally says, "if we go down that staircase, we'd be in higher ground, so I don't think it's much of a trouble. On the other hand, unless you all have tremorsense (or know how to fight in the darkness) I see no point in crossing the blackened corridor."

He looks again at the darkness. "I could attempt to dispel it, but I can't assure it will work. Alternatively, I could fly silently and scout any of the two options, so what do you think?"

Lady Moreta
2011-03-08, 09:32 PM
"I would have thought creaking loudly would be a good thing in this case. Gives us plenty of warning if something does follow us." Terryn comments, glancing back and forth between the others. "I'd have to agree with Edana in this case, I think the staircase would be preferrable over magical darkness. However, I do think there's another option you've all forgotten about. There is another door. Why don't we try that one before making any final decision?" She grins at the others, moving towards the fourth door in the room.

Belthasar
2011-03-08, 09:38 PM
"Oh?" Gaelis says as he turns to see the other door. "Right, right! There's another door I forgot about. I wonder which one could that be..."

Grendus
2011-03-09, 01:42 PM
Marlowe turns to the third door, checking it as he had the others. He still stood by his original position, since very few creatures could see in the darkness it was probably a ward against something in there, but Edana had a point - if there was something behind that door that could see in magical darkness, they could be in trouble.

Devmaar
2011-03-09, 04:47 PM
"Oh?" Gaelis says as he turns to see the other door. "Right, right! There's another door I forgot about. I wonder which one could that be..."

One door in each wall, you only checked the arrow pointing right and the one pointing down, there's still the one pointing left

whoiam
2011-03-10, 02:38 PM
Just letting you know I haven't vanished;)

As Marlowe had moved to check the remaining door, Edana took up a position just to one side. If there was something behind there, she'd be ready... and if there was something ready to fire at people in the doorway, she'd be out of the way.

For her, the position was pretty much perfect:smallcool:

Grendus
2011-03-10, 03:11 PM
Just fyi, I did intend for Marlowe to try to open the door in my last post. Just being a little more explicit here.

Also, anyone else find it ironic that the guy in light armor is opening the door? Though I guess he is more of a tank build, sans shield.
Marlowe turns the handle and pulls on the door to open it, his other hand ready to conjure his halberd or bow if something was waiting behind the door.

Devmaar
2011-03-10, 03:59 PM
This door opens towards you beyond it is a passage going left.

whoiam
2011-03-10, 04:20 PM
To be fair, while Edana's a better tank than you against any attack with an enchantment bonus of +1 or higher, it's not by much. Plus your DR actually makes you more resistant to purely mundane attacks than Edana is, especially out of combat!

As the door swings open, Edana changes a glance down the newly revealed corridor.

It's less exciting than it could have been. Then again, that's probably for the best.

"...So, choice of the first or second levels of the basement? I would think that exploring this level is probably our better choice... but that's just a guess, not logic. I have a feeling that if there is anything hostile left around, it's hiding down near the bottom."

Grendus
2011-03-10, 04:56 PM
Marlowe peeks around the corner, which I believe would grant partial cover if something shoots at him
Marlowe steps forward and peeks around the corner. "Definitely better than magical darkness or stairs. I think we can all agree this is the probably the easiest to clear first?"

Devmaar
2011-03-10, 05:42 PM
As soon as you enter this corridor an Iron Golem that was waiting around the corner jerks forward, before its arm falls off and it judders to a halt. The passage beyond it is a dead end.

Grendus
2011-03-10, 10:18 PM
Do we get experience? jk jk

"Well that was... anticlimactic. Ok, creepy stairs down into the abyss, or corridor full of magical darkness?" Marlowe says, prodding the lifeless golem with his halberd.

Lady Moreta
2011-03-10, 10:47 PM
Terryn giggled at Marlowe's words, then carefully stepped further forwards, into the corridor and past the golem. "Don't be so hasty Marlowe," she chided gently. "Why put something like a golem in a corridor if it wasn't here to guard something? At the very least we should check the area - and hey, at least it's a small area."

Search:[roll0]
and also cast Detect Magic just in case there's something to see.

Devmaar
2011-03-11, 12:05 PM
side from the lingering aura of the magic that used to animate the golem, there is nothing to see.

Lady Moreta
2011-03-11, 08:57 PM
Terryn shrugged, stepping back over the iron golem lying in the corridor. "Well, I can't see anything and the only magic is that which animated the golem. Unless someone else wants to have a look, then I suggest we pick a door to go through." She looked between the other three before adding, "I agree with Edana that the staircase is a better idea. But as Marlowe pointed out, we're here and employed by the Professor."

Belthasar
2011-03-11, 09:05 PM
Gaelis sighs in resignation. "If there's an illusion attempting to hide something, then this is where that spell True Seeing should come in handy, I think..."

He scratches his head. "Anyways, maybe that golem is there not as a guardian of the hallway, but the whole place. If so then this place is older than I thought... Hmmmm..."

Gaelis enters carefully to the hallway and examines it.

Search check to notice secret doors! :smallsmile: [roll0]

Devmaar
2011-03-11, 09:18 PM
Gaeliss finds nothing

Belthasar
2011-03-11, 09:28 PM
"Hmmm? Me? Oh right, right! Hmmm, let's try the stairs then!"

Gaelis moves away from the golem and joined everyone else. Just in case, he concentrate his mind in elevating from the floor a little, as a soft hum is heard when he manifests his power, but the sound disappears shortly thereafter.

"Now I can't worry about making noises while walking... I think."

I spend one of my two psionic focuses and manifest an extended psionic Fly. It will last 20 minutes.

9 pp spent, 40 remaining.

Grendus
2011-03-12, 05:37 PM
Marlowe bites his tongue - he doubted any monsters would be able to hear Gaelis over Edana's platemail - and opens the door to the staircase again. "Let's head down then," he says, grabbing his ioun torch again and putting it into one of the higher orbitals.

whoiam
2011-03-13, 01:13 AM
"Since your preparations are complete, we descend."

Lantern in one hand, Flail in the other, Edana slips past Marlowe to be first down the stairs. As a crusader, she is doubtless used to leading the advance...

[roll0]
[roll1]
Doubt they'll be useful, but Edana's searching for trouble as she descends.

...plus, she's both the new girl (eager for a chance to prove herself), and the heavily armoured girl (unaware that dexterity and magic brings the others' ACs up to nearly the same values as her own). So she has plenty of reasons to want to be the first to the bottom...

Lady Moreta
2011-03-13, 10:27 PM
Terryn followed Edana down the stairs, holding her glowing coin in the palm of her hand. As she went, she brushed her fingers along the stone walls, occasionally stopping to investigate a patch of stone more closely - and since it was still active, checking for any magic auras.

OOC

Continue with the detecting of magics, and every few feet she'll pause and take a closer look at the walls/floor.
Spot:[roll0]
Listen: [roll1]
Search:[roll2]

Grendus
2011-03-14, 12:57 PM
Marlowe waits for Gaelis to head down, his fears about creatures from the blackened hallway prompting him to take rearguard. He would be able to reach the front quickly enough if need be, but he would certainly be better able to survive an ambush from behind than the professor.

Devmaar
2011-03-14, 01:06 PM
So the order is Edana, Terryn, Gaelis, Marlowe?

Spot and listen from those of you who haven't already.

Grendus
2011-03-14, 01:40 PM
Spot: [roll0]

Lack of modifiers and class skills = oblivious

Belthasar
2011-03-14, 01:42 PM
Spot: [roll0]

Devmaar
2011-03-14, 02:57 PM
The stairway passes without incident. Below you can see where the corridor straightens out, but you cannot see down it from here.

Terryn:
You think you notice something move in the corridor, but it was so fleeting you can't be sure.

Edana:
You hear something from around the corner, you can't be sure, but it may have been a footstep.

Lady Moreta
2011-03-14, 09:32 PM
Terryn reaches out and lightly taps Edana's armour to get her attention. Meanwhile she comes to a halt and holds up one hand to warn the men to stop. "Wait," she says in a hushed voice. "I think I saw something down there. It was so quick though, I'm not sure. Did anyone else notice anything?" She sounds a little frustrated at not being able to tell clearly.

Grendus
2011-03-14, 09:43 PM
Marlowe draws his halberd, suddenly alert. He hadn't heard or seen anything, but experience told him to trust Terryn. She wasn't the hysterical type, if she heard something it was probably there.

Grendus
2011-03-16, 10:08 AM
"We should keep moving," Marlowe says, still alert. "Whatever it was, it's either gone or it's waiting for us. The only way to avoid it would be to go back, and even then there's no guarantee."

whoiam
2011-03-16, 03:59 PM
Edana places her lantern on the floor a moment, and reaches back into her pack. What she brings out is her silk rope: she threads it through the ring at the top of her lantern and ties it off. Looping the rope around her neck (with armour on there's little risk of accidentally throttling herself) keeps the lantern suspended in front of her chest - allowing her to advance into the darkness with the light and both hands free.

Wordlessly, she offers her current companions a grin before pulling the visor down on her helmet.

And then steps briskly around the corner.

If she notices that the lantern has no effect on the darkness, she'll stop shy of the magical darkness.

Otherwise...
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Lady Moreta
2011-03-17, 02:28 AM
Terryn grimaces "I hate this," she comments to no one in particular, her voice choking off in near horror as Edana steps blithely around the corner. "Oh dear," she mutters, "she's going to get herself killed." Abandoning her fruitless search of the walls, Terryn draws her longsword instead and steps around the corner to join Edana. I can't let her just go off on her own...

Devmaar
2011-03-17, 06:20 PM
Around the corner stands...

A tall human in a dinner suit.
Hello there. Do you mind telling me why you are in my home?

whoiam
2011-03-17, 06:27 PM
Edana almost laughs at the sight of this human, out of relief as much as anything. Not to say that humans weren't dangerous - she was proof of the inverse, after all, and there were plenty other worse than she - but the fact that this stranger was talking was, in and of itself, a positive sign.

She wasn't about to throw that away, so she lowered the flail she had been holding ready.

Note, however, that she has not put the weapon away - merely moved it to a less aggressive position.

"Between us I think we may have more reasons than we have mouths to express them with, but perhaps the most significant would be that we were not aware this structure is inhabited. We saw the signs that it was inhabited in times past, but no evidence that it is still so.

Obviously, if you are resident here than our assessment is incorrect. But this was not something we were in a position to know before encountering you..."

Lady Moreta
2011-03-17, 10:27 PM
Terryn stops short as she comes round the corner face to face with a man in a dinner suit. It's a man. In a dinner suit. And he liveshere? Taken completely aback, for a moment she is speechless and the point of her sword drops of its own volition. She starts to frown as Edana speaks - having made a living as a negotiator for years, she tends to get - twitchy, when others start talking. Listening however, she finds herself smiling at Edana's easy manner. She gestures for the others to come around the corner, signalling that there is no threat - yet. Meanwhile, she waits with Edana for the man's response - ready to intervene if she's needed.

Belthasar
2011-03-17, 10:41 PM
Gaelis is floating nearby, concentrated on his mind. When he realizes he's not focused enough, he mutters.

"I thought these ruins were abandoned years ago..."

Full-round action: Gain psionic focus:
I make a Concentration check DC 20 to obtain a psionic focus (I already expended one, so I'll try to re-gain it)

Concentration: [roll0]

Doh! (I'll try again another time) :smalltongue:

Devmaar
2011-03-20, 07:15 AM
Well, it has been some time since I ventured outside. I suppose there could be a certain amount of disrepair. Of course, it seems to me that the most likely cause for your presence is the desire to claim some prize from my demesne. What, I wonder, could it be?

Lady Moreta
2011-03-20, 08:15 AM
Terryn steps forwards then, no matter how erudite Edana appears, negotiation is still her best feature, not to mention being the reason she was here. Moving up next to the woman, she smiles, extending one hand towards the man in a gesture of friendship.

"I fear your surmise is likely correct, although as I understand it, the location of the object we at least, seek is not confirmed," she makes a sweeping gesture with her other hand to indicate Marlowe and Gaelis. "The professor should be able to explain more fully, Marlowe and I are simply hired hands," she smiles disarmingly at the man. "Your home is fascinating," she adds, "I am sorry if we have disturbed you in any way. Oh, my name is Terryn Nor - might I enquire as to yours?" she smiles again, calm and polite.

Erm... I dunno, diplomacy to keep him happy and sense motiving for me to keep me happy (motiving?? I am tired...)
Diplomacy:[roll0]
Sense Motive:[roll1]

Belthasar
2011-03-20, 03:44 PM
Gaelis just nods when Terryn introduces him.

He'll explain in further detail of their mission to the host after the latter introduces himself.

whoiam
2011-03-20, 04:28 PM
Edana raised an eyebrow at Terryn's interjection, but stepped to one side to allow the bard through regardless.

Doubtless anyone who goes into the ruins wearing so little is used to living on their looks, tongue, magic and/or wits. Any combination of which likely makes her more qualified to talk with this stranger than I am...
She means armor, she's not mentally accusing Terryn of dressing like a tramp:smallcool:

Upon noticing that she had been left out of the introductions, Edana added "And I was passing through the region when I saw them entering what appeared to be an abandoned castle. Curiosity got the better of me."

Grendus
2011-03-20, 08:00 PM
Sigh, such prudish members of the Silver Flame :smalltongue:

Marlowe nods as Terryn half introduces him, watching the man with interest. It seemed odd to him that the man was living behind doors locked from the outside without knowing it, but then, he'd seen odder things in his line of work that really were the way they seemed. He usually left things like that to Terryn, he wasn't very good at the subterfuge. Passable at lying, but gullible as a toddler.

Devmaar
2011-03-23, 06:10 PM
The man gives an easy smile, My name is Aythir, it's nice to meet you although... he pauses and raises an eyebrow, as if in deep thought, after a moment Ah, I've just been instructed to invite you all to dinner. Will you step this way? He indicates along the tunnel, the way you had been going.

Belthasar
2011-03-23, 06:51 PM
"Good!" the professor says. "I'll tell you more about what I'm looking for once we're at a relaxed situation like dinner and..."

He interrupts himself.

"Wait... Instructed?" inquires Gaelis raising an eyebrow. "By whom if I may ask?"

Lady Moreta
2011-03-23, 09:06 PM
"And how?" Terryn adds, looking fascinated. It seems clear that, whatever else she thinks about the situation, it'll make a great story. "Dinner sounds like a lovely idea," she comments, smiling warmly at Aythir, though, for the moment at least, she makes no move to resheath her sword.

OOC
Obligatory Sense Motive:[roll0]

Grendus
2011-03-23, 10:46 PM
Marlowe raises an eyebrow, but nods and joins the others. Whatever it was, it was worth investigating.

whoiam
2011-03-29, 03:52 PM
Although Edana says nothing in response (since two others have voiced assent), she nods alongside Marlowe and moves to put her weapons away. In the absence of any good reason to change their order of advance, she steps past Aythir and begins to advance down the corridor.

whoiam
2011-03-29, 03:56 PM
Although Edana says nothing in response (since two others have voiced assent), she nods alongside Marlowe and moves to put her weapons away. In the absence of any good reason to change their order of advance, she steps past Aythir and begins to advance down the corridor.

Devmaar
2011-03-31, 05:17 PM
My wife is waiting downstairs, we have ways of communicating. This way.

Aythir shows you along the corridor and down another flight of stairs before taking you to an imposing double-door.
As he opens it he says,
Ladies and Gentlemen, may I introduce you to my wife, Nyri.

Beyond the door is a large stone chamber, the walls hung with tapestries, in the center is a huge wooden table, set with six places around one end. Already seated is a beautiful human woman who smiles warmly.
Please, sit, eat. I would like to talk with you.

Belthasar
2011-03-31, 10:59 PM
Still flying, Gaelis reaches the table and he greets the woman with a respectful, short bow before landing and sitting.

"Of course," he says gently. "It's understandable you wish to speak with us after we abruptly invaded your home. I apologize for the inconveniences, and thank you for the hospitality anyways. We're listening..."

Lady Moreta
2011-04-01, 05:12 AM
Terryn steps forward into the room, carefully stepping around the still-flying Gaelis and offers a courtly bow to the woman seated at the table. "Indeed, Lady Nyri, I apologise for our inadvertent intrusion. We were given to believe this was an uninhabited ruin." She looks around the room, before moving towards one of the chairs and setting her hand on its back. "May I ask, how did you know we were coming and how many of us there were?" She gestures towards the set table, "we really haven't been here for that long."

OOC:
Any word on the sense motive above? It was 23 for the record.

whoiam
2011-04-01, 05:37 AM
Edana, as per her current mood (mixed portions of 'Amused' and 'Bitter', for the record) ignored the invitation to eat, but would at least sit down. Alright, so this did require her to divest herself of her large and bulky weaponry, but the way she thought of it was like this: Any couple capable of killing her before she could fall backwards off a chair and recover her flail could have killed her anyway.

That said, she still wasn't feeling trusting enough to sample the food.

"Actually, there is an additional point about which I must confess myself curious. How do you get supplied down here? There was no evidence of suppliers or traders visiting this building recently, and I hope neither of you would be offended by the observation that you do not appear to have been farming recently..."

Grendus
2011-04-01, 07:48 PM
Marlowe takes a seat, leaning his halberd against the table since he couldn't sit down with it on his back. He decided to sit and wait for the more vocal members of his party to finish. Paranoia, however, convinced him to not eat, at least until they were more sure of their host's intentions.

Devmaar
2011-04-02, 06:18 PM
Terryn
It seems they are being completely honest.

Nyri smiles at you, In answer to your questions, magic. I am a skilled practioner of the arcane, and my husband is not unlearned. Of course, I asked you down here for a reason. It is some time since anyone descended to our levels of this setting, I would be interested to know what brought you here. I may have more questions as well, we shall see how the conversation goes.

Lady Moreta
2011-04-04, 04:51 AM
Terryn chuckled and leaned back easily in her chair. She could see that none of the others, Marlowe and Edana especially, trusted this couple or their food. As far as she could tell though, they were telling the truth. And if it turned out they weren't - or that they were and yet still weren't to be trusted - well, it was better to act as though she believed them - for the moment.

"Ahh magic," she sighed with a smile. "Where would we be without it." Still smiling she reached for the fork lying beside her plate. "I'll have to let the Professor answer the question of what we're looking for - I'm afraid I'm simply a hired hand."

Belthasar
2011-04-04, 06:33 PM
Gaelis nods politely to Terryn and starts speaking.

"Indeed," he says. "As miss Terryn just pointed, I'm professor Gaelis Kyrin of Morgrave University. I was entitled with a mission to retrieve a statuette, which must be in a temple in Xen'Drik, pretty close (I hope)."

After a short pause, he continues. "Terryn and Marlowe were hired to accompany me (and I'm thankful for that). We had another companion too, but he mysteriously disappeared. Anyways, regarding the temple, little information was handed to me, but I have the certainty that it's a ruined one which should be close according to the old maps..."

He then relaxes a little. "So, practicioners of magic, huh?" he says with an interested smile. "I have some experience with it, so maybe we can get mutual help. Oh, and why are you living in these ruins? If I may ask..."

Devmaar
2011-04-09, 05:05 AM
Ruins? Really? It has been longer than I thought. Anyway, I have not heard of this university, but if time has passed as much as you say, things considered pretty trinkets by my husband and I could well be ancient artifacts by you. A statuette you think of as a great and ancient treasure could be something I used to decorate the garden in my youth. My apologies, but I'm not sure we can help.

At this point Aythir looks up from his plate (he has been eating throughout the conversation) Let us not be so hasty my dear. Where there is willingness to collaborate, all sorts of assistance can be derived from even the most incompatible scenarios. he turns to Gaeliss You mention 'mutual help' if we are able to find some way to facilitate you, how do you propose repaying the balance?

whoiam
2011-04-09, 05:50 AM
"Logic suggests that we have little to nothing that we can offer you, either in goods or services - for were you deficient in *anything* that mattered to you, it would have driven you into some form of contact with the outside world, and therefore caused you to be aware of the passage of time. Or, indeed, the state of the structure you live under.

I suppose the most likely exceptions would be information on the outside world - you have, for instance, doubtless missed several wars, and perhaps a religion or two in your time here. You may have had old acquaintances whose fates you do not know. Beyond such things, however, I can think of little we could offer that you could not doubtless provide for yourselves..."

Devmaar
2011-04-18, 10:08 AM
Nyri shakes her head, Alas, I fear you are correct, there may- Aythir interrupts Wait my dear, though there is nothing to interest you, the same is not necessarily true for myself. he looks to you Though it is not a problem that would ever trouble Nyri here, I have become bored. We retired to this place because we felt we had learned all that we could about the world, that all we had left to do was enjoy one another's company and develop our understanding of the deeper workings of magic. Recently though, I have missed the joy, the exhilaration of discovery, of interaction with those who hold different opinions or a new viewpoint. I want to learn again. To debate, to discover. You mentioned a university. I would think that would be the place to start. If so much time has passed, it will be like a different world to the one I knew. I will have to start again. Oh the wonderment! If you can direct me to this university, I will gladly aid you in your endeavour. What do you say?

Lady Moreta
2011-04-18, 10:09 PM
Terryn smiled warmly, carefully conveying the impression of warmth, friendship and quiet amusement. Inside, her mind was working overtime. Seems awfully convienient. And we had no idea these people were even here. No one knew and that makes me suspicious. She glanced down the table at Marlowe, of everyone here, she trusted him alone and knew he would understand what she was thinking.

Sense Motive: [roll0]

Grendus
2011-04-19, 01:36 PM
Marlowe maintains the outward appearance of calm as well (a trick he had learned from staring down paladins of the Silver Flame), but inside he too was a little edgy. If they were truly interested in going back to the rest of the world, couldn't they just go back to the civilization they had come from? They must have learned the basics of magic and how to speak common from somewhere, after all. "Couldn't you just go back to where you originally came from? The continents don't move, at least, not that I'm aware of, or if they do you'd have to be an elf to notice."

Belthasar
2011-04-21, 08:43 PM
"Of course," says the professor. "Once I'm finished here, I can take you to Morgrave University and make a reccomendation to the dean, no problem. However, I must warn you that the final decision will not be made by me, but the higher council. That doesn't take away the fact that I can do everything that's possible to take you there."

He takes a notebook and writes the names of the two newfound sorcerers. "We have a deal then?"

Devmaar
2011-04-22, 03:41 AM
Terryn
He doesn't seem dishonest.

Aythir looks to Gaeliss Even though the shape of the land may be the same, the people and the way of life have no doubt changed to such an extent that I will be lost wherever I go. The only difference between returning to the land of my birth and going to this Morgrave is that at he University I'll have the professor to speak for me. So yes, professor. We have a deal.

Lady Moreta
2011-05-09, 10:54 PM
Terryn leaned back in her chair, looking and feeling satisfied. She loved a good negotiation, even when she didn't end up taking much of a part in it. Tipping her head sideways she looked between Gaeliss and Aythir.

"It's just as well the professor is here then. I'm afraid about all I could tell you are what songs are currently in fashion."

Devmaar
2011-05-11, 05:49 PM
Very well then. If you would show us your maps Aythir and I possess a spell that will enable him to guide you to your destination.

Belthasar
2011-05-11, 10:36 PM
"That'll be fine, lady and gentleman," says Gaelis to both spellcasters. "Morgrave University will be truly thankful for your efforts."

Before standing up, he remembers something to add: "With all due respect, I have one more question to ask you both," he inquires curiously. "Have you ever been at other continents?"

Devmaar
2011-05-27, 08:49 AM
Nyri studies the map while Aythir responds:
Only a little. We lost interest in travelling this realm when we found the way to other planes of existence.

Lady Moreta
2011-05-29, 11:02 PM
"Wow! Really?" Terryn's eyes light up and her enthusiasm momentarily gets the better of her. "I don't suppose you've got any stories you'd like to share?" she asks, a little wistfully.

Devmaar
2011-06-01, 05:59 AM
Great tales, though they would of course be more of a history lesson now.

That will have to wait. It is time for you to leave. Nyri touches Aythir's forehead, the touched point glows for a moment and Aythir smiles

Of course. Come on. He walks over to a different passage from the one you entered from

Grendus
2011-06-01, 11:51 AM
Marlowe stands from his place at the table and follows tensely. He's still ill at ease, but if Terryn and the Professor both trust the couple then they are either trustworthy or skilled deceivers far beyond his ability to root out. He would need to consult Gretchen's book to see if any of the vestiges offered greater skill in rooting out deception.

Lady Moreta
2011-06-03, 10:06 PM
Terryn gets to her feet and easily lifts her pack, swinging it back over her shoulders. "Thank you Aythir," she says, smiling at him. "Your assistance is very much appreciated." Noticing Marlowe's tension, she wanders over to him, leans against him and murmers softly "You look a little tense. Something wrong?

whoiam
2011-06-04, 05:48 AM
Like Marlowe, Edana's not especially happy with the situation... but if there's one thing her prior career had taught her, it was that if you had specialists along, there was little point second guessing them while they worked. One too many junior officer had met with a nasty accident questioning a regimental artificier for her to make that mistake again...

The major difference between her and Marlowe is that while he was busy thinking of ways to contribute if they encountered such a situation again, Edana was simply indifferent. Especially as the thought was beginning to dawn on her that there was likely nothing down here to fight...

Grendus
2011-06-05, 04:09 PM
Marlowe thinks for a second, trying to put his feelings into words."I learned the hard way dealing with the Gray Guard to trust my instincts - when something seems off, lay low. If you think they're trustworthy, then I trust your judgement, but... that grate was locked from the outside, and the golem was in bad repair. Nothing concrete, just seems a little off." He sighs and shakes his head. "I've been dealing with misguided idealists too long, I guess... after a holy warrior tries to beat a confession out of you the paranoia never goes away."

Lady Moreta
2011-06-07, 09:49 PM
Terryn shrugs, twitching her shoulders slightly to shift her pack to a more comfortable position. "As far as I can tell, they're being completely honest." She smiles wryly at Marlowe, "On the other hand, your instincts have saved my ass more times than I'd like to count, so - stay alert?"