PDA

View Full Version : Level 1 Christmas Tree

Dalek-K
2010-12-30, 02:39 PM
Many of the people I know and talk to about D&D like to get as many cool items that meets their character as soon as possible. I was wondering if a campy where you started at level 1 with any one item for each item slot on your character has would be, of course any other magic items would be very very rare since there are no such thing as low level magic items.

Like a level one fighter could have that awesome +5 vorpal sword and the +5 Shield of Butt Kickery along with any other goodies the fighter wanted.

You would need to adjust the monsters or challenges but this would give everyone more fun stuff to play with right from the get go while still gaining other class benefits.

Maybe every so many levels allow them to trade in their equipment to keep things fresh?

The setting could be something like...

The rulers of the continent decided that adventurers were dangerous so they outlawed/destroyed all the magic items save for their personal stash. The rulers however have a special op group at their comand and from time to time bring in new recruits who are given magical items. Since there aren't any low level items they are given the best of the best.

Other things to consider

Wizards: Craft items are forbidden in every country, people even have a fear of magic items. Anyone cought knowing how to make them (besides the rulers) is killed. Also certain spells are lost/hidden/destroyed from existance. Things such as wish, anti-magic field, fly, and others have been outlawed.

Sorcerers/Bards: Killed at birth or taken into the ruler's family as gaurdian servant (for boys) made to be completely loyal to the family.

Psionics: Don't exist (easier that way lol)

Fighters/Barbarians/Rogues/Paladins/Rangers: As normal but without being in the special forces they don't get acess to magical items. Paladins won't (can't)use magic that is against the law ^ ^. Rangers have spell tattle-tales

Monks (homebrewed to be fixed): Most common class since they just don't need items.

Cleric: If cought using illegal spell then they will be put to death. Resurections are illegal without permission from the government. Every cleric has a tattle-tale magic item on them (doesn't cost against magic item total) that sends a message to government if they ask for a forbidden spell.

Druids: Think divine sorcerer (born with natural ability blah blah). But are raised to be gaurdian protector for the females.

I think I got everything for now...

Would this kind of setting work? Thoughts or comments?

ToySoldierCPlus
2010-12-30, 03:07 PM
While the setting sounds fun in theory, you forgot incarnum, unless it's in the same boat as psionics, and in practice, you'll run into issues balancing low level encounters. Basically, nothing at that level will be able to touch the PCs, whiel they'll trounce everything. If you throw tougher things at them, things that can actually land a blow, they'll die pretty quickly because they don't have the HP behind the AC. Fun to joke about, but this would very difficult to actually run.

Dalek-K
2010-12-30, 03:26 PM
yeah any other classes just don't exist.

I'm sure there would be a way to tweak monsters to make them challenging hmmm

Lord Loss
2010-12-30, 03:47 PM
yeah any other classes just don't exist.

I'm sure there would be a way to tweak monsters to make them challenging hmmm

same-level baddies carrying similar awesome goodies, magic items are soul-locked and can only be used by one user ever, unless expensive rituals are used to "unlock" them? Keeps the original idea but nixes the setting, I'm afraid.

Welknair
2010-12-30, 03:57 PM
My worry is that too much of their power will be coming from their gear. The fighter will still be an amazing fighter with his super-sword, but the rogue could have the exact same sword and be just as good with it (albeit with a BAB one lower) which doesn't make much sense. The wizard could have his Staff of the Magi, but he wouldn't be able to actually use it. And what about the low level monsters? They either are carrying similar gear (which doesn't make much sense) or they don't stand a chance. Either way, the party must still go up against appropriately challenging monsters, which will be adjusted for their gear level. What about the poor wizard who doesn't have even have the tiny bit of HP that he should at this difficulty level? With no armor and the HP of a first level wizard, he's going to die pretty readily against the monsters.

And again, this system would put a massive focus on the gear of a character instead of the abilities. In fact, the abilities wouldn't catch up until the players were at a level at which their gear would normally be available.

ANY item, you say? I know players that would take that as an excuse to get Artifacts and Epic Level gear.

However you slice it, I think you'll end up with a party that looks like they're wearing clothes two sizes too large. Gear acquisition is part of the game.

woodenbandman
2010-12-30, 04:25 PM
Ok, I'll take a

UNBELIEVABLE LONGSWORD:* +infinity acidic-blast fiery-blast icy-blast lightning-blast sonic-blast everything-dread everdancing holy-power lawful-power defending flaming frost shock ghost-touch keen mighty-cleaving spell-storing throwing everything-bane flaming-burst icy-burst shocking-burst thundering vorpal lucky charged dissipater impact sundering power-storing parrying suppression body-feeder mind-feeder soul-feeder mindcrusher manifester coup-de-grace longsword of speed and wounding. Intelligence infinity, Wisdom infinity, Charisma infinity, speech and telepathy, read all languages, read magic, lawful-good longsword.

ToySoldierCPlus
2010-12-31, 12:43 AM
You realize that sword would own you, not the other way around, right? Beyond that, I'm very sure you can't have all of those enchantments on a single weapon by RAW. Still, if your intent was to illustrate the potential for abuse, good job!

Soren Hero
2010-12-31, 01:31 AM
wat about instead of getting rid of ALL magic items, etc..make it a state owned property...so possession of magic items without a permit is illegal, punishable by blah blah blah...i find it hard to imagine a setting where magic items are outright given to the those undeserving of them...instead of xmas tree at lvl 1, what about advancing gear? for example...ur lvl 1 party of spec ops completes x amount of missions, then ur lords, supervisor, etc gives permission for ur party to get lvl appropriate gear for ur team...it gives the feel of restriction, but balances the game out tremendously..and if ur team finds magic items along the way, they can "confiscate them" and keep them, or turn them in, etc