PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Reevaluate My Spell Choices.

Elric VIII
2010-12-30, 03:05 PM
In my current game, just to try something different, I have been playing a debuffer/controller Cleric. The problem is that we hve gotten to the point at which mosters are reliably making their saves and I'm just wasting my turns. I have been using spells like (Greater) Command, Wave of Grief, Bestow Curse, and Slay Living. While I know these are not the best spells around (I have been using the good buff spells when things get out of control) they are fun for the beginning of the game. Now that we've gotten to level 15-ish those spells are rapidly becoming expensive ways for me to skip my turn, as is expected. What I need is one or two good spells for each level that are either partial effects on saves or no save spells. Rays are especially good since I have Zen Archery.

What I have found so far, in addition to using Divine Magician:
Lv 2: Darkbolt - Deal damage, on failed save Stun enemy.
Sun Bolt - 2d6 and chance to blind. *new*
Lv 4: Moon Bolt - 1d4/3CL Str damage, half on save.
Lv 5: Streamers - Deal damage when target takes actions. *new*
Lv 6: Lucent Lance - 1d4/CL or 1d6/CL, Stun for 1 round, dazzle for 1 round/CL.
Lv 7: Blood to Water - 2d6 Con, Fort half.

Using spell search engines usually nets me a pile of spells, most of which offer no save because they aren't offensive. I would like to have prepared at least 1-2 buff, debuff, and utility spells for each level. I'm alright in terms of buff and utility, it's the debuffs I am lacking.

On a side note, is Blood to Water that good? It seems like not much effect for a 7th level spell.

Elric VIII
2010-12-30, 08:39 PM
Am I to take it that the no-save debuffs are Wizard-only territory?

Enterti
2010-12-30, 09:37 PM
Take a look at Streamers, its out of shining south I think

Elric VIII
2010-12-30, 10:01 PM
Take a look at Streamers, its out of shining south I think

That is brutal against spellcasters, thanks. I also just noticed Sun Bolt under Streamers' description, that's another good one. I'm going to take some time to look over Shining South.

Enterti
2010-12-31, 01:53 PM
No prob, its a really broken spell though so use sparingly. And remember it uses your BAB so each streamer can make multiple attacks per round. At LV 20 for a cleric its 3 attacks vs touch AC for 4 streamers which is up to a total of 60D10 if you focus them all on the same enemy.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-12-31, 01:57 PM
Enervation is my favorite no save debuff ever more if you start piling metamagic on (twin or split ray work wonders, and I think you are at a level when you can put them both on it without metamagic reducers.)

Elric VIII
2010-12-31, 02:52 PM
Enervation is my favorite no save debuff ever more if you start piling metamagic on (twin or split ray work wonders, and I think you are at a level when you can put them both on it without metamagic reducers.)

I'm taking Enervation as part of my Divine Magician. It was, in fact, the initial reson for me using the ACF. Although, a Split, Twinned Enervation uses a 10th level spell slot.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-12-31, 02:54 PM
You didn't mentioned that, so that is why I mentioned it.

Elric VIII
2010-12-31, 04:18 PM
I apreciate the effort, just to avoid confusion, here's my Divine Magician list:

1 - Ray of Enfeeblement: Ray deals 1d6 +1 per two levels Str damage.
2 - Ray of Sickness: Subject becomes sickened.
3 - Ray of Exhaustion: Ray makes subject exhausted.
4 - Enervation: Subject gains 1d4 negative levels.
5 - Waves of Fatigue: Several targets become fatigued.
6 - Spectral Touch: Your touch bestows one negative level per round.
7 - Avasculate: Reduce foe to half hp and stun.
8 - Avascular Mass: Reduce foe to half hp & stun, entangle 20ft. from victim.

Also, thinking about taking Gelid blood. And, since I have never been higher than level 15 in any campaign, I'm unsure what 9th level spells would be good for Divine Magician.