PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Sources of telepathy?

tuesdayscoming
2010-12-30, 05:25 PM
I'm working on a character right now, and having trouble with one particular thing. He needs to be able to read the minds of as many people as possible simultaneously.

I'm away from books right now, but all I can think of is Mindbender, that one feat from Lords of Madness that lets you detect minds, and epic Sense Motive. The former two don't actually allow you to read minds, just to locate/communicate with them. The latter is single-target detect surface thoughts with a ridiculously high DC.

There's gotta be something better out there. Something that let's you walk into a room and immediately be flooded by the thoughts of everyone around you. Any ideas?

Once I get back home I'll do a bit of searching myself and update with what I find.

Psyren
2010-12-30, 05:29 PM
Brain Spider (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/spells/brainSpider.htm), but it's pretty high level.

Detect Thoughts gives you multiple creatures' thoughts, but only in a cone and after some study.

The Glyphstone
2010-12-30, 05:29 PM
The Mindspy PrC transforms your Detect Thoughts from a cone into a radius effect.

Greenish
2010-12-30, 06:00 PM
Mindbender from C. Arcane gains 100 ft. telepathy on first level, and doesn't even lose casting.

5th level Telepath (psion) with ACF from the Mind's Eye (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070411a) gets 5 ft. per ML telepathy.

Angry Bob
2010-12-30, 06:08 PM
Pretty sure telepathy lets you communicate with any creature with a language, not intrusively read minds. I might be wrong, though.

Psyren
2010-12-30, 06:09 PM
Mindbender from C. Arcane gains 100 ft. telepathy on first level, and doesn't even lose casting.

5th level Telepath (psion) with ACF from the Mind's Eye (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070411a) gets 5 ft. per ML telepathy.

This form of Telepathy is more the "I can talk to you without speaking" kind than the "I know what you're about to say" kind.

tuesdayscoming
2010-12-30, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Brain spider looks great, but its level is extraordinarily high. Ideally I'm looking for something that could be used on demand or that would be constant, and a custom item of said spell might be just a bit too pricey to be reasonable.

Glyphstone, I'll check out Mindspy as soon as I get back home. Looks like it could be good. Do you recall how many levels I'd need to dip to get the ability?

Greenish, thanks much for the Mind's Eye link, but all it gives is telepathic communication. What I'm looking for is a way to glean information from a mind WITHOUT communication. Surface thoughts are great, but Mindrape style 'I know everything you know' is better.

edit: Ninja'd x2 on the Telepathic Communication vs Reading Minds bit

The Glyphstone
2010-12-30, 07:24 PM
Glyphstone, I'll check out Mindspy as soon as I get back home. Looks like it could be good. Do you recall how many levels I'd need to dip to get the ability?

It requires Detect Thoughts as either a spell or a spell-like ability...so 3 levels of Wizard/Cleric would be the minimum dip to qualify (requires 8 Concentration ranks as the other limiter, and some BAB), plus 1 more level of Mindspy to get the spherical detection. Additional Mindspy levels let you read two or more beings' surface thoughts simultaneously, as well as letting you do things like automatically skip to Step 3 of the spell and maintain the detection as a free action, while getting AC bonuses against the people whose minds you are reading. Mindspy 3 can scan two targets, 5 levels lets you scan four at once, and you can change targets each turn.

You can qualify without the Wizard/Cleric levels if you buy a Helm of Telepathy (27,000), but don't lose it.