PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Optimizing for Combat... sans Class Features

balistafreak
2010-12-30, 08:11 PM
Sometimes you have a good Hit Die and 3/4 BAB bonus, making you feel like you're supposed to be mixing it up in combat somehow with the almighty attack roll, but you distinctly lack notable combat related class features.

The main offenders are a couple of the Pathfinder Advanced Player's Handbook classes (Alchemist, Inquisitor and Summoner), although I can also make a word for healbotting Clerics who don't use their spells except to heal (Disclaimer: I do not endorse this) and Druids who insist on not using any form of shifting (Disclaimer: I also do not endorse this). With a d8 HD, 3/4 BAB, and zero class features to help you out, what do you do to remain relevant in combat?

Power Attack is (for obvious reasons) the first thing that comes to mind, but that's just one feat, and just about the only expenditure I can think of that's worth it. Anyone else have any help to offer?

Urpriest
2010-12-30, 08:26 PM
This is a pretty common problem: Dragon Shamans and Marshals are also good examples.

Skills are the favored method here. If you have a pile of Knowledge skills, grab Knowledge Devotion. If you can get Iajitsu Focus or Use Magic Device, these give you something to do. Intimidate and Diplomacy both have combat applications when properly optimized.

Bang!
2010-12-30, 11:05 PM
Intimidate is often worth a few feats/a bit of gp.
Poisons can keep things interesting and keep mediocre characters useful.
Items like nets, marbles, magic devices, tanglefoot bags are often worthwhile.
Pets and mooks often need someone to boss them around.
Attacks with tag-along effects (like Stunning weapons) minimize combat crappiness.

Or, if desperate, you might buy 2 castings of Polymorph Any Object.

Human Paragon 3
2010-12-30, 11:11 PM
(multiple instances of) Martial Study always help you pack a punch in combat by supplying a few neat tricks. White Raven manuevers make Marshal smile. For craftier types, there's shadow hand, and if you just need to get better at killing, Stone Dragon never did no one wrong.

Eldariel
2010-12-31, 12:17 AM
Take any Fighter-build. Cull unnecessary feats. Done. Honestly, chargers, trippers, controllers, etc. couldn't give a damn about class features (they'd help, sure, but aren't necessary). Though it's PF so pretty much only chargers are viable (yay PF!) as Trippers and Controller warriors in general got nerfed to ground with CMB and the supersplit Improved feats for each. So...yeah.

Tyndmyr
2010-12-31, 12:23 AM
This is a pretty common problem: Dragon Shamans and Marshals are also good examples.

Skills are the favored method here. If you have a pile of Knowledge skills, grab Knowledge Devotion. If you can get Iajitsu Focus or Use Magic Device, these give you something to do. Intimidate and Diplomacy both have combat applications when properly optimized.

Without a lot of spare skills, or access to UMD, you still have some options. Bust out MiC. Enjoy. In particular, I'd like to point out Eternal Wands, and the fact that they explicitly do not have the normal requirements for spell list and/or UMD to use. Enjoy.