PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Barbarian Rage Powers

Otacon17
2010-12-30, 08:13 PM
Alright, this is probably a dumb question, but here it goes:

I recently began a Pathfinder campaign and one of my players chose to be a Barbarian. Since the campaign began, he has been taking levels in Inquisitor. He is currently Barbarian 1/Inquisitor 3. He says that he is waiting until level 8 to take another level in Barbarian, because then he can get the Unexpected Strike rage power. That power has the following requirement: A Barbarian must be at least 8th level before selecting this power.

So here's the question: is the requirement referring to character level or Barbarian level?

He says that it refers to character level, so he'll be able to get it at level 8 even if he's only a level 2 Barbarian, but I'm not so sure...

Forged Fury
2010-12-30, 08:23 PM
It's almost certainly supposed to be class level, not character level. With that said, I could see how someone could read it in the way your player is reading it at least using the Pathdinder SRD. The book itself may be more specific. The only time I've ever seen class features work in a similar way to how your player is reading it is the computation of Tome of Battle Initiator level.

Edit: Closest thing I can find is:

Note that there are a number of effects and prerequisites that rely on a character's level or Hit Dice. Such effects are always based on the total number of levels or Hit Dice a character possesses, not just those from one class. The exception to this is class abilities, most of which are based on the total number of class levels that a character possesses of that particular class.
Naturally, it doesn't really answer the question.

Otacon17
2010-12-30, 08:31 PM
The book uses the same wording, unfortunately. That quote may convince him that it's class level, though. Thanks!

Grelna the Blue
2010-12-30, 08:34 PM
It's almost certainly supposed to be class level, not character level. With that said, I could see how someone could read it in the way your player is reading it at least using the Pathdinder SRD. The book itself may be more specific. The only time I've ever seen class features work in a similar way to how your player is reading it is the computation of Tome of Battle Initiator level.

Edit: Closest thing I can find is:
Note that there are a number of effects and prerequisites that rely on a character's level or Hit Dice. Such effects are always based on the total number of levels or Hit Dice a character possesses, not just those from one class. The exception to this is class abilities, most of which are based on the total number of class levels that a character possesses of that particular class.

Naturally, it doesn't really answer the question.

But it does. The Unexpected Strike rage power is a class ability, hence it is based on the total number of Barbarian levels, not total character levels.

Forged Fury
2010-12-30, 08:44 PM
But it does. The Unexpected Strike rage power is a class ability, hence it is based on the total number of Barbarian levels, not total character levels.
The problem being that it says "most of which are based on the total number of class levels blah, blah, blah." Sounds like the DM is dealing with a rules lawyer who will zero in on that "most" language.

Edit: To the OP, I would focus on this language:

A barbarian must be at least 8th level before selecting this power.The use of the word Barbarian here is not a general descriptive, but a specific class. If he doesn't like it, explain how he thinks he should be considered a "barbarian" when only 25% of his class levels are in the Barbarian class.

DukeofDellot
2010-12-31, 02:09 AM
I tend to read "most" as "unless it says otherwise", and encourage others to do the same... unfortunately many individuals will read things to be the way they want them no matter the exact wording...

I guess there's no real point to this post... Sometimes I like spouting random nonsense.