PDA

View Full Version : Is this even possible?

Traab
2010-12-30, 10:14 PM
I had this mental image of a melee class fighting similar to the nightcrawler scene in Xmen 2. You know, where he basically teleports to random locations sneak attacking an entire group of people over and over again. Is there a combination of melee class and a magical item/scroll/effect that could cause that to happen? Even if it cant be a sustained thing, it could be really useful for an "Oh SH*&^" battle where you need to deal out a lot of damage and not take any in return.

Temotei
2010-12-30, 10:16 PM
Actually, this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9221466&postcount=1) might work.

tuesdayscoming
2010-12-30, 10:17 PM
Try the Telflammar Shadowlord from (IIRC) Lost Empires of Faerun Unapproachable East.

Can get really cheesy when properly optimized. Really cheesy.

Traab
2010-12-30, 10:23 PM
Actually, this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9221466&postcount=1) might work.

I dont think that one would work, as it reads like you dont have precise control over how and where you reappear. It would kind of suck if you hopped out of the path of that claymore, right into the path of an archer who fired off an arrow or even just right in front of yet another enemy. Also, you wouldnt likely have any sort of initiative since you would be just as surprised as your target when you show up, since you dont know WHERE you are going to show up and where in relation to you the enemy would be. Hell, you might even end up standing too far from anyone to hit them!

I am going to look up the shadowlord now. *EDIT* Did a search, and while ive been able to find a couple basic descriptions and what you need to get the prestige class, im not seeing much of a description of exactly what they can DO.

Greenish
2010-12-30, 10:39 PM
Did a search, and while ive been able to find a couple basic descriptions and what you need to get the prestige class, im not seeing much of a description of exactly what they can DO.Capstone is full attack after a teleport. Also gives some teleporting abilities.

Blade of Orien is also a nifty one, though it comes online rather late, but the capstone (again) allows full attacks after teleporting, and the class gains ability to teleport quite a few times per day as a move action.

The third shadowpouncer PrC is the Crinthi Shadow Marauder.

tuesdayscoming
2010-12-30, 10:43 PM
Capstone is full attack after a teleport. Also gives some teleporting abilities.

Blade of Orien is also a nifty one, though it comes online rather late, but the capstone (again) allows full attacks after teleporting, and the class gains ability to teleport quite a few times per day as a move action.

The third shadowpouncer PrC is the Crinthi Shadow Marauder.

Do you know what source(s) these are from? I've never heard of 'em before, but have always rather liked the idea of the shadowpouncer. More classes supporting it is always a beautiful thing.

Greenish
2010-12-30, 10:45 PM
Do you know what source(s) these are from? I've never heard of 'em before, but have always rather liked the idea of the shadowpouncer. More classes supporting it is always a beautiful thing.Blade of Orien is from Dragonmarked (Eberron book), Crinti Shadow Marauder is from Shining South (FR book).

Traab
2010-12-30, 10:46 PM
Ah that sounds nearly perfect. It may not be some sort of spammable ability ala nightcrawler, but in a pinch it sounds like you could take on a tougher than normal fight with it. Especially if it could be used as a defensive action. You do your attack, the enemy attacks, you capstone to basically dodge and hit him from behind, then its your turn again. I admit to knowing very little about these games so I may have misunderstood how it all works entirely, this was all just an academic exercise to me, curiosity of wanting to know if a nightcrawler style of combat could even exist.

Bang!
2010-12-30, 10:50 PM
Swordsage can do with Shadow X maneuvers (tome of battle).

Any high Int character can do this with 1 level of Conjurer for the Abrupt Jaunt ACF (PHB2).

Psychic Warriors can do this with a couple dimension-hopping powers (Expanded Psionic Handbook/Complete Psionic).

Paladins and Clerics can do this with the Knight's Move spell (in Spell Compendium).

Monk/Horizon Walkers, Monk/Warlocks and Monk/Totemists can do this with the Sun School feat from Complete Warrior.

I think Ninjas (from complete adventurer) can also do something similar.

Greenish
2010-12-30, 10:51 PM
Pounce + Battle Jump (a feat from Unapproachable East) + a teleportation effect would work too.

Pounce allows you to full attack on charge. Battle Jump allows you to treat falling on enemy as a charge, and deal double damage. A teleport (such as, say, the at will dimension door from Blink Shirt [MoI]) would be used to appear above enemy, then drop as a free action.

[Edit]:
Psychic Warriors can do this with a couple dimension-hopping powers (Expanded Psionic Handbook/Complete Psionic).

Monk/Horizon Walkers, Monk/Warlocks and Monk/Totemists can do this with the Sun School feat from Complete Warrior.Or monk/psywarr. Slap on tashatalora and snap kick.

Traab
2010-12-30, 11:04 PM
Wow, I was honestly not expecting to see all these different possibilities. At best I was hoping to see somthing like, "Well, if you combine a monk with the shadow step boots, helm of fleetness, and the bracers of guided blows, you could probably BS the DM into allowing a nightcrawler style of combat once a day." You know, that sort of thing. :p (And yes I was making up item names off the top of my head, they may or may not exist, and if they do, they might not even do what I want, it was just an example) But it honestly sounds like there are several combos that can pull this off, even if not to the extent of nightcrawler, then at least a couple times in a row.

Tvtyrant
2010-12-30, 11:04 PM
Or take the ECL and play a Blink Dog. Then add whatever levels you think most appropriate with it (I suggest Thug Fighter for full BaB and Sneak Attack with your bite).

Greenish
2010-12-30, 11:07 PM
Or take the ECL and play a Blink Dog. Then add whatever levels you think most appropriate with it (I suggest Thug Fighter for full BaB and Sneak Attack with your bite).Thug doesn't get SA. That would be Sneak Attack fighter, which is a separate variant class. :smalltongue:

Anyhow, to emulate Nightcrawler (with unarmoured & unarmed combat and all), I'd probably pull a tashatalora with Sun School, Snap Kick and one of those handy-dandy teleportation powers from CPsi.

gorfnab
2010-12-31, 12:06 AM
Swordsage 1/ Warlock 6/ Swordsage 2/ Telflammar Shadowlord 4/ Swordsage 7
Invocations: Flee the Scene; Maneuvers: Shadow Jaunt, Shadow Stride, Shadow Blink; Stance: Assassins Stance

Metus Somnambulus, Dread Shadowlord (http://web.archive.org/web/20080404024736/http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-742643)

Tyndmyr
2010-12-31, 12:12 AM
I had this mental image of a melee class fighting similar to the nightcrawler scene in Xmen 2. You know, where he basically teleports to random locations sneak attacking an entire group of people over and over again. Is there a combination of melee class and a magical item/scroll/effect that could cause that to happen? Even if it cant be a sustained thing, it could be really useful for an "Oh SH*&^" battle where you need to deal out a lot of damage and not take any in return.

1 level wizard dip for Abrupt jaunt. Or, peruse the teleportation options in MiC. There's a few of them.

Any thing that gives you dimension door is pretty much perfect.

Forged Fury
2010-12-31, 12:37 AM
Just remember that Dimension Door, and any effect that duplicates Dimension Door, has a rider that says the character loses any actions they might have available after teleporting, unless otherwise stated.

This is one reason I really like going the psionic route and either taking Ardent or taking Expanded Knowledge for Dimension Hop. Swift Action tactical teleport.

Greenish
2010-12-31, 12:41 AM
Just remember that Dimension Door, and any effect that duplicates Dimension Door, has a rider that says the character loses any actions they might have available after teleporting, unless otherwise stated.How that interacts with shadowpounce-y effects is unclear, though.