PDA

View Full Version : D&D Bobba Fett

Traab
2010-12-30, 11:10 PM
Im sure everyone here has seen that french video, where two hardcore D&D players let a friend join in, a friend who has a level 1 rogue named bobba fett. If not, I HIGHLY reccomend you do a youtube search, as its funny as hell. Anyways, I was curious to hear any horror stories or hilarious ones along those lines of people you have played with.

Zonugal
2010-12-30, 11:30 PM
I once played in a game at the Penny Arcade convention where a player named her character Solid Snake.

Yeah...

umbrapolaris
2010-12-31, 01:18 AM
Im sure everyone here has seen that french video, where two hardcore D&D players let a friend join in, a friend who has a level 1 rogue named bobba fett. If not, I HIGHLY reccomend you do a youtube search, as its funny as hell. Anyways, I was curious to hear any horror stories or hilarious ones along those lines of people you have played with.

there:

part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhmUj9QJ9RM&feature=player_embedded

part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9FMURHhgzc&feature=player_embedded#at=203

they are not french but canadian, hahaha

before, i played with this kind of "serious" players, and i liked to annoyed them with my multi-purpose wizard, who resolve any encounter with summoned creatures ^^. They forgot they playing a game.

Traab
2010-12-31, 01:22 AM
BAH! French, canadian, same thing! :p Still freaking hilarious. And yeah, I can imagine having a LOT of fun messing with the heads of those who take the game too seriously. I was just curious to see if anyone here had good stories about running into this type of person.

umbrapolaris
2010-12-31, 01:46 AM
i played one time with a guy who in real life play in a Black Metal band, so his character was an Evil Bard, and when he use his "inspire" abilities, he always grab his guitar and played some of his songs.^^

Soren Hero
2010-12-31, 01:51 AM
and here i thought this was a thread about statting up boba fett using 3.5 :(

i had one person in a group try to use the materials around them, namely a ethernet cord and a blanket, to dress up as their character (a dwarven barbarian)...laughs ensued

MeeposFire
2010-12-31, 01:51 AM
BAH! French, canadian, same thing! :p Still freaking hilarious. And yeah, I can imagine having a LOT of fun messing with the heads of those who take the game too seriously. I was just curious to see if anyone here had good stories about running into this type of person.

The French would kill you for saying that you know (barely exaggerating they really do not like French Canadians and they really hate how they speak "French" granted they normally do not like how anybody speaks French sort of a "True Scotsman" sort of thing).

FARADOR!

umbrapolaris
2010-12-31, 02:02 AM
The French would kill you for saying that you know (barely exaggerating they really do not like French Canadians and they really hate how they speak "French" granted they normally do not like how anybody speaks French sort of a "True Scotsman" sort of thing).FARADOR!

im french... and i pressed one of the Pressure Points of the OP, he dont know yet but he is already dead ^^

Cahokia
2010-12-31, 02:09 AM
im french... and i pressed one of the Pressure Points of the OP, he dont know yet but he is already dead ^^

Bienfait, mon ami.

Agreed on the "there's a huge difference between France and Canada" point.

Barbin
2010-12-31, 02:13 AM
Ah the memories...

" Ey ! Check ça man ! C'est trop drôle !"

" Bon, J'y baisse les culottes et... Ugh ! Ugh! Ugh!"

" LOL !"

umbrapolaris
2010-12-31, 02:28 AM
how do you recognize a canadian cooking?

he call the nearest fast food. :smalltongue:

thorgrim29
2010-12-31, 02:50 AM
I don't know where you take the French not liking Canadians (actually French Canadian here, or Québecois if you want to get really specific) thing... They can be patronizing and annoying about our accent, but I've never ran into an openly hostile one, and I lived 4 years in France.

BTW the sub on that video is awful, but it is hilarious.

My experience: Not really at the table, but it's always fun to tease the guy who'se really too much into it at a LARP.

umbrapolaris
2010-12-31, 04:25 AM
They can be patronizing and annoying about our accent, but I've never ran into an openly hostile one, and I lived 4 years in France.

of course no hostility, just some quebecois thinking their french is better than ours ^^ of course when they translate in french some english terms, we surrender ^^

umbrapolaris
2010-12-31, 04:33 AM
for those who played at World of Warcraft :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKWTXi92J-k&feature=player_embedded#start=0:00;end=2:57;autore play=false;showoptions=false

paladins always need everything...

Yora
2010-12-31, 07:40 AM
I wanted to name my character Chun Li.

But it's a Shadowrun game and the character would have been aware that it's the name of a fictional character and chose it for her cover because everyone someone calls for Chun Li, she would think who names their kid Chun Li and remember that it's her cover name.

But I made a different character instead. I called her Eva Gurlukovich. :smallbiggrin:

Traab
2010-12-31, 08:52 AM
If it helps, I was joking about the french/canadian thing. /takes five steps then falls over dead. Oh god, someone rezz me quick! Before Bobba gets here!

Forged Fury
2010-12-31, 09:01 AM
french... we surrender
Gah! Must... can't... no...whew!

I passed my Will save to not make a joke.

bokodasu
2010-12-31, 10:36 AM
Carlos the Dwarf (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJAGxAeV7YU).

Eldan
2010-12-31, 10:41 AM
We had a Barbarian named Barba Ryan. Yes, really.

And a Chaos Gnome Sorcerer with a Fire Dragon bloodline named Wolfram Tungsten.

Beelzebub1111
2010-12-31, 10:52 AM
We had a ranger once named "James Luke Janeaway" and his Dire Weasel companion "Kate Tiberius Picard"

In an evil game, he played a Hecuva named "Bones"

Yora
2010-12-31, 11:06 AM
We had a Barbarian named Barba Ryan. Yes, really.

And a Chaos Gnome Sorcerer with a Fire Dragon bloodline named Wolfram Tungsten.

A good one. :smallamused:

umbrapolaris
2010-12-31, 11:36 AM
Gah! Must... can't... no...whew! I passed my Will save to not make a joke.

i see which one... ^^ we surrendered because we French are too strong at warfare, we need to put some handicaps to make the things more funny :smalltongue:

Eldan
2010-12-31, 01:01 PM
A good one. :smallamused:

Yeah, I liked Tungsten too.

Oh, I remember. Even fits the thread title.

So, it was a SciFi game. And we had a pilot. He was half-Spanish, half-German.

His father was named Olo for his last name, his mother named him Hans for his first.

And to my eternal shame, it took me an entire three hour episode to get it. With cueing.

Player: "So, you didn't think Hans Olo was a cheap name?"
Me: "Well, a little. It sounds weird."
Player 2: "You really don't get it, do you?"
Me: "Oh. Ooooooh!"

MeeposFire
2010-12-31, 07:33 PM
I hope that it can be seen that this was a slight exaggeration and also depends on who you talk to as well (also a joke for a laugh which a few people seemed to catch phew). When I was in France I was very well treated but many people I know were treated very poorly (and by poorly I mean mocked by people who thought that my friends could not understand). I was not even trying to speak French (perhaps that helped).

It was also to the comment where many people feel things like "Americans do not speak real English" kind of thing. Obviously I feel I speak English but I bet there are some British folks out there that would say (partly to mostly jokingly at times) I do not speak "real" English. Whatever "real" is.

Eldan
2010-12-31, 08:12 PM
In my experience, people who speak "real" English say "bloody" two to three times per sentence.

Traab
2010-12-31, 08:20 PM
Bloody bullocking blighters! The whole lot of em! As its newer, obviously american english is the correct one. And I swear if I hear one more brit trying to correct my pronunciation of aluminum, ill drown em in a vat of treacle tart!

Forged Fury
2010-12-31, 08:55 PM
As its newer, obviously american english is the correct one.
Improved English :smallamused:

umbrapolaris
2010-12-31, 09:37 PM
In my experience, people who speak "real" English say "bloody" two to three times per sentence.

{Scrubbed}

Science Officer
2010-12-31, 09:59 PM
hmmm can I make a post out of two things half-way on topic? let's see

france french v. quebec french (I apologise for all missed accents)
I remember learning a tense, I think it was passe simple, and it was introduced thusly, "this is actually very formal and not used very much anymore, except in things like storybooks or historical things or very formal speech. yeah, not really used much anymore, except in Quebec." :smallsigh:

it actually probably wasn't passe simple, but I can't remember what else it could be.

famous names as character names/pseudonyms
In Charles Stross' The Jeniffer Morgue, a joint covert-ops thingy is taking place between the British and American spy types. Well, actually it's just the Americans doing it, but in according with a treaty the Brits have to send someone to act as an observer. However, the British organization doesn't really agree with what the Americans are doing, and the man they send is kind of a jerk, so he gives the Americans a name that is sure to annoy them.

I mean really, how would it feel to be a real, serious intelligence operative and have to address someone you're working with as 'James Bond'?

aside: why does it seem that every thread I want to post in, Eldan has already posted in?

Claudius Maximus
2010-12-31, 10:04 PM
My brother's very first character was Aragorn the Ranger. To be fair though he was like 13.

Much more recent was the noble Elven swashbuckler d'Artagnan, who is in fact a current party member.

umbrapolaris
2010-12-31, 10:07 PM
Much more recent was the noble Elven swashbuckler d'Artagnan, who is in fact a current party member.

hahaha the player is AWWWSOME ^^

Bibliomancer
2010-12-31, 10:09 PM
In a campaign I DMed, one of the characters had a Scout with high Charisma and an optimized Diplomancy score named "The Fonz." Several of their encounters were overcome with a diplomancy check that, in game, translated as "ehhhhhhhhh."

of course no hostility, just some quebecois thinking their french is better than ours ^^ of course when they translate in french some english terms, we surrender ^^

As an English speaking Canadian, I'll admit that I don't fully understand the nuances of the Quebecois/French rivalry. In fact, I believe I'm required to not understand under the most recent tersm of Quebec remaining in Canada.

umbrapolaris
2010-12-31, 10:19 PM
As an English speaking Canadian, I'll admit that I don't fully understand the nuances of the Quebecois/French rivalry. In fact, I believe I'm required to not understand under the most recent tersm of Quebec remaining in Canada.

in fact France has an affinity with USA since WW2 , and we use some american/english terms daily, like week-end , emails, cool, etc...
some Quebecois dont accept that and try to translate all those English terms into French ones but with mitigated success. those people usually says we perverting our languages ^^

Eldan
2010-12-31, 10:36 PM
{Scrubbed}

Nonono. That's Americans.

smuchmuch
2010-12-31, 10:38 PM
As a metropolitan french who has frequesnted a few canadian (both french and english), I will just say that sometime the Quebequois accent and slang can be really hard to understand.

anyway back to the thread's subject.
The first games I ever tried to hold as a Dm was World of darkness (old). My players had never played a RPG before and I had only played a few game myself but there were no experienced player of our knowlege close and we wanted to try anyway.

In the first two games I had a Gandalf (*facepalm*,), a Nathalie kéfiée (*groan*; 'liquéfié'='liquefied' in French) and a Joyce Istick.

It became soon very clear this would not be a serious campaign.

Eldan
2010-12-31, 10:40 PM
Our first campaign has a wizard named "Istari" and a monk named "Nameless One".

Atcote
2011-01-01, 12:54 AM

What, you mean Australians? (Like me! Woo.)

Anyway, on topic... This is only a semi-reference, but we had a guy whom would play the same character. Every world. It was someone from his short stories, an evil rogue, and he would always be there, regardless of the world. It was like a fan obsession with his own creation.

On a more relevant note, it took me a while to realise that a friend's girlfriend who joined in the game was playing a wizard named Pug.
A year later, I read The Magician. The familiarity I had with the character took a few pages.

Traab
2011-01-01, 01:12 AM
What, you mean Australians? (Like me! Woo.)

Anyway, on topic... This is only a semi-reference, but we had a guy whom would play the same character. Every world. It was someone from his short stories, an evil rogue, and he would always be there, regardless of the world. It was like a fan obsession with his own creation.

On a more relevant note, it took me a while to realise that a friend's girlfriend who joined in the game was playing a wizard named Pug.
A year later, I read The Magician. The familiarity I had with the character took a few pages.

Now thats actually something different. I mean, playing the same character each time, unless he is ripping it off of someone, is just him liking his current choice and not wanting to change it. Take me for example, virtually all of my characters in every mmo ive played have been named some varient of Traab, and are generally played with two distinct personalities. Sure I COULD create an entire new character/story/whatever as I switch to a new game, but I like mine so I stick with it.

Its also helped me meet up with old friends from earlier games. Heh, I played WoW from release, and three months in I got a random tell from someone asking me if I was the same Traab from a server in everquest, and another server in daoc. Ended up getting into a guild thats been doing raiding over like 4 different games because of it, and met up with a bunch of old friends there.

Oh, and Pug freaking rules. Though the series is definately dragging on now. It really should have stopped at the end of the serpentwar saga. Erik von Darkmoor kicked ass.

Barbin
2011-01-01, 01:44 AM
As a Québecois I've seen the two extremes of the accent, and I have to say sometimes I could not understand people who spoke the same language as I do !

Atcote
2011-01-01, 01:52 AM
Now thats actually something different. I mean, playing the same character each time, unless he is ripping it off of someone, is just him liking his current choice and not wanting to change it. Take me for example, virtually all of my characters in every mmo ive played have been named some varient of Traab, and are generally played with two distinct personalities. Sure I COULD create an entire new character/story/whatever as I switch to a new game, but I like mine so I stick with it.

Its also helped me meet up with old friends from earlier games. Heh, I played WoW from release, and three months in I got a random tell from someone asking me if I was the same Traab from a server in everquest, and another server in daoc. Ended up getting into a guild thats been doing raiding over like 4 different games because of it, and met up with a bunch of old friends there.

Oh, and Pug freaking rules. Though the series is definately dragging on now. It really should have stopped at the end of the serpentwar saga. Erik von Darkmoor kicked ass.

The Magician and Serpent War Saga are the only ones I've read, though my more involved girlfriend would seem to agree with you. And bless Erik. Bless him and Roo and all the other characters who disappeared so Pug could take the limelight again.

But, I understand the appeal of playing the same character; I'd be lying if I said I didn't do it, my Paladins used to usually be called Rone Born, and if plunged expectantly into an evil role, I'll play a human fighter named Plimith (who, in my mind, will always be the astral relations to the first character that I played all the way through both Baldur's Gates).
It's more or less the obsessive nature with which he does it that makes it feel like a divergence of this topic to me - he created the character for a poem, and now he cannot change 'The Character'; it is his, but he treats it like he can only reference it, not allowing himself much room for play or breaking the mold. But I agree, it's a borderline example at best.

Paseo H
2011-01-01, 03:01 AM
I have less problem with people using character names and more using character appearance (and I am the worst offender.)

In fact, our most recent arc can be described as this:

Dark skinned purple haired Vash the Stampede leads grown up Ichigo, and Larxene from Kingdom Hearts into Sigil, while being tricked into working for Albert Wesker, who claims to be looking for his daughter but is actually seeking to kill her because she has his bloodline and might be eligible for the line of succession, while at the same time wondering where his enemies L from Death Note, Monica Kruszewski from Code Geass, and some chick from a Jeong Juno drawing I saw is. Also, the Big Bad, who is basically Galatea from Claymore with short purple hair and cat ears/tail and her right hand man who is practically Rubel from the same show finally make their appearance. After that's over, they will end up having to deal with the hero's rival, Cloud, and his new wife, red haired Clare from Claymore.

So you see, it's pretty bad.

How do I make more original designs?

Balain
2011-01-01, 05:15 AM
I played one game where we all had Clerics or Paladins, all Good aligned, we named our party "The Ghostbusters"

Traab
2011-01-01, 09:31 AM
I have less problem with people using character names and more using character appearance (and I am the worst offender.)

In fact, our most recent arc can be described as this:

Dark skinned purple haired Vash the Stampede leads grown up Ichigo, and Larxene from Kingdom Hearts into Sigil, while being tricked into working for Albert Wesker, who claims to be looking for his daughter but is actually seeking to kill her because she has his bloodline and might be eligible for the line of succession, while at the same time wondering where his enemies L from Death Note, Monica Kruszewski from Code Geass, and some chick from a Jeong Juno drawing I saw is. Also, the Big Bad, who is basically Galatea from Claymore with short purple hair and cat ears/tail and her right hand man who is practically Rubel from the same show finally make their appearance. After that's over, they will end up having to deal with the hero's rival, Cloud, and his new wife, red haired Clare from Claymore.

So you see, it's pretty bad.

How do I make more original designs?

Well, a start might be combining elements from several characters into one being, such as say, Axels weapons from kingdom hearts, Eds personality from full metal alchemist, and the appearance of Shrek. :p Once you get better at that, you can start trying to come up with unique descriptions that dont have anything to do with premade characters.