PDA

View Full Version : Warshaper entry and Owlbear LA.

Escheton
2010-12-31, 09:15 AM
I sorta had the idea of a Owlbear/warshaper//wiz/druid/AT
With a monocle and a tophat.
But Owlbear has LA -. So you can't play one. Partly because they changed the int from 5 to 2 I think.
Now this is a rule of cool game, so I prolly can. I just need to figure out what the LA would be had there been one. And if one could apply a awaken to one(rule of cool if need be).

And I also need a way of applying for warshaper in as minimal lvls as possible.
So playground, hook me up. Thanks in advance.

Kaww
2010-12-31, 09:23 AM
I'd go with CR=ECL=HD+LA. If you adjust it's starting ability scores (roll them) it should have CR of 6 so 5RHD+1LA.

This is just my two bits and how I would handle it as a DM...

KillianHawkeye
2010-12-31, 10:21 AM
When did it have an Int 5? :smallconfused:

It's nothing but a wild animal that was made out of two different animals with magic.

Escheton
2010-12-31, 11:09 AM
3.0 has it at int 5. It's also a magical beast and not a true animal.

Devmaar
2010-12-31, 11:40 AM
If you take Druid before Wizard you'll have wildshape at level 5, which is the RHD of Owlbear. That means you don't need any other class levels on the Owlbear side to qualify for warshaper.

Escheton
2010-12-31, 07:35 PM
That would require me to be in wildshape to use the abilitys though.
But using the UA wildshape variant will fix that.

Any other variants that might be of use?

The Glyphstone
2010-12-31, 11:16 PM
Why would you not be in Wildshape?:smallbiggrin:

Escheton
2010-12-31, 11:31 PM
Because I'm already an owlbear. Turning into an owl or a bear seems rather lackluster next to my "true form".

Considering ditching the Owlbear base and just taking the 10 lvl druid prestige that lets you wildshape into other creature types.
And use owlbear as my "walking about" form.

Admiral Squish
2010-12-31, 11:39 PM
Because I'm already an owlbear. Turning into an owl or a bear seems rather lackluster next to my "true form".

Considering ditching the Owlbear base and just taking the 10 lvl druid prestige that lets you wildshape into other creature types.
And use owlbear as my "walking about" form.
This would probably be your best option, to be honest. That way, you could get the warshaper benefits in owlbear form, and you could actually talk. I don't think owlbears are usually good for talking.

ericgrau
2011-01-01, 01:21 AM
They're on par with a minotaur who are ECL 8 so I'd say LA 3. Maybe even a weak LA 4 but I don't want to push it. 8 lost character levels are a lot to lose, so if your group uses any kind of optimization above the norm in core you'll fall behind. Maybe you could ask the DM for an LA reduction, as you would if playing a minotaur. How much depends on how much your builds are better than core builds.

Escheton
2011-01-01, 03:18 AM
I can use LA buyoff. So being owlbear would cost me 6 classlvls on 1 side of gestalt. But I would gain magical beast hitdie benefits so it evens out.

It's a rule of cool game that is massively overpowered where enemys are homebrew(read: made up on the spot)
And effectiveness is secondary to fun and awesomeness.

And we have an uberblaster, uberassassin and ubermelee dps.

It is however an evil party, so it would be handy if I could take em on if need be...