PDA

View Full Version : NetHack Pen and Paper

Dormammu
2010-12-31, 12:22 PM
Hello Friends!

(If you don't know what NetHack is, research it and download it immediately! I recommend Vulture's Eye so you don't have to see the little ASCII characters.)

I'm thinking of running a very short NetHack based campaign for my group. any suggestions for how to fit existing rule systems to fit the Nethack world (and expand it for 3-5 Players). I Speak 3.X and Savage worlds.

Dubious Pie
2010-12-31, 05:44 PM
AD&D is what you want, friend. OSRIC (http://www.knights-n-knaves.com/osric/) is OGL 1e.

Deadlights
2010-12-31, 05:56 PM
I am a little perplexed why you would want to make a PNP game, based off a videogame, based off a PNP game, but do whatever makes you happy. Honestly your best bet is probably to just play your favourite D&D variant and add NetHack fluff (questing for the Amulet of Yendor, in-jokes, insane difficulty etc...).

Now, if you really are insistent on creating a NetHack PNP game from scratch, I would recommend the NatHack Wiki for pretty much everything, they have pretty much every single byte of that game documented on there in great detail, in addition to elements from the SLASH'EM mod. Your best bet for a base game would probably be AD&D, which the game was based off of. Just make your own modifications to make the game fit the classes and difficulty balance of NetHack.

Also, shame on you, ASCII is the right way to play.:smallwink:

Dormammu
2010-12-31, 08:42 PM
ASCII is the right way to play, but I hate having to remember to press "q" when I want to drink a potion; Not "D" for drink, not "p" for potion, "Q" for... "quaff?"

I do realize this is a weird question. And I am using a WikiHack a good deal.

The basic Idea is that I don't want my players to know at a glance that "oh that's a necklace of fireballs!" I know most of the NetHack items by heart but I don't know the way rooms are generated in Nethack. That's really all I'm asking for.

I know it's weird.