PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Me Install WordPress

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-12-31, 02:53 PM
I really want to install WordPress but I have no idea what most of what they are saying means. I'm no computer geek* and I would really love some help.
I'm currently using a small net-book with Windows 7 Starter.

* My obsession being RPGs.

leakingpen
2011-01-01, 12:02 AM
if you have no idea what you are doing than i would advise against installing wordpress on your own site, and make a wordpress.com blog.

Beyond that, it really IS very simple, the five minute install file that comes with the download explains it all. any term in there that you dont get, google. If you have a SPECIFIC problem, come back here, but we can't walk you through from scratch, you really want to try and do it yourself.

The Grue
2011-01-02, 01:44 PM
What exactly are you trying to do? Are you trying to install Wordpress on your own webserver, or are you wanting to use one of Wordpress' free blogs?

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-01-03, 03:47 PM
What exactly are you trying to do? Are you trying to install Wordpress on your own webserver, or are you wanting to use one of Wordpress' free blogs?

I want to do it on my own webserver, but I don't have one at the moment (nor do I know how to acquire one).

The Grue
2011-01-04, 04:50 PM
Ah.

Well you need to do that first. Where have you looked already?

OracleofWuffing
2011-01-04, 06:43 PM
Well, uh, godaddy and dreamhost are generally the bog-standard servers out there. There are plenty of others and I don't use those two at the moment, you'll need to get a host with PHP and MySQL as per the requirements at Wordpress.org.

But if you're not a computer geek... What's the reason why you want to have wordpress on your own server? Just to make sure we're all on the same page, your blog won't be stored on your computer either way, your computer really doesn't have any role in your blog other than a means to type information into it. And, I mean, you can get started on Wordpress.com for free and save you the headache of determining where you want your server from and registrared, whereas you'll probably have to pay for any server that has PHP and MySQL.

And to make doubly-sure we're on the same page, you don't install Wordpress on your personal computer. You'll send some files over to your webserver, and then go to your website through Internet Explorer (or whatever web browser you use), which will take you to your wordpress installation. From there, you can log-in and post stuff.

Anyhow, once you have a server, you can pretty much just follow this (http://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WordPress). Some hosts have an easy-install button, so you might wanna talk to them about it.

Mauve Shirt
2011-01-04, 07:06 PM
I use Hostmonster to host my site, they are cheaper than Dreamhost and you get a free domain name. Hostmonster also has an "install wordpress" button.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-01-05, 12:09 AM
Is Network Solutions any good?
I'm willing to pay up to $15 Canadian (about $12 American) for a good ".com" domain name.

Trazoi
2011-01-05, 12:15 AM
Anyhow, once you have a server, you can pretty much just follow this (http://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WordPress). Some hosts have an easy-install button, so you might wanna talk to them about it.
I know DreamHost has a quick install option for WordPress, as I used that back when I had server space from them (they were decent for a starter server; I moved on because I wanted a more flexible server space where I could play around with the setup).

But I agree that if all you want is a WordPress blog, you should consider simply getting a free account with WordPress. For one thing it's a lot less hassle. And for another, it's free. :smallsmile:

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-01-05, 12:43 AM
I know DreamHost has a quick install option for WordPress, as I used that back when I had server space from them (they were decent for a starter server; I moved on because I wanted a more flexible server space where I could play around with the setup).

But I agree that if all you want is a WordPress blog, you should consider simply getting a free account with WordPress. For one thing it's a lot less hassle. And for another, it's free. :smallsmile:

I tried that, but they want me to pay for even the most basic of options, as well as not having ads on my blog.

Trazoi
2011-01-05, 12:52 AM
I tried that, but they want me to pay for even the most basic of options, as well as not having ads on my blog.
It does depend on the features you need. Most basic hosting services I know of elsewhere will cost you at least $6 per month which will come to $72 per year, so you need to factor that in. If the service doesn't provide a free domain name or you want to get one separately, that's another $10 or so per year (depending on registrar).

leakingpen
2011-01-05, 10:03 AM
i also use hostmonster for most of my stuff, though i don't do their easy install.

Dubious Pie
2011-01-05, 02:33 PM
If your willing to get a little help from a more computer-savvy friend, HostRail has US$1.05/month servers, plus domain names for $8.88 a year.

leakingpen
2011-01-05, 04:35 PM
thats a damn good hosting price! what do they include.