PDA

View Full Version : Do doppelgangers Take the shape of equipment?

eclipsestorm
2011-01-01, 01:22 AM
Or rather, When they steal the shape of someone, can they also mimic the characters equipment? Clothes, weapons, stuff like that. And can they also use spells? Or at the very least throw their voice?

Xyk
2011-01-01, 01:59 AM
"Shape of...A BUCKET OF WATER!"

But seriously, it doesn't specify anywhere. My best guess is a "yes", because of the picture of them in Races of Destiny. I'd ask your DM for specific instances.

eclipsestorm
2011-01-01, 02:05 AM
Yea, in this case, im the dm, our whole group takes turns and its my first try

Xyk
2011-01-01, 02:08 AM
I'd have it replicate everything but magic items if I were you. But really, it's up to you.

KillianHawkeye
2011-01-01, 07:58 AM
I think clothing is fine but equipment is too far. Think of Mystique from X-Men or the T-1000 from Terminator 2.

Lord Loss
2011-01-01, 08:20 AM
I'd have it replicate everything, but magic items wouldn't have any special effects. They'd still read as magic if Detect Magic was cast on them, but the Doppleganger wouldn't be able to use their effects. As XyK said, though, it's really up to the DM. If you're using this for a monster, I'd say "whatever suits the plot best" would be your best bet.

umbrapolaris
2011-01-01, 10:00 AM
i think they can replicate the appearance of any items wore by the original but none of the magical abilities unless they are spellcasters and uses some spells to replicate the item power.

Mastikator
2011-01-01, 11:04 AM
I'd say they replicate everything that is mundane.

Traab
2011-01-01, 11:21 AM
I think clothing is fine but equipment is too far. Think of Mystique from X-Men or the T-1000 from Terminator 2.

If we go the mystique route, then the doppelganger could likely make a visually perfect copy of the persons items, but like wolverines claws, they are just a weakened copy. So it may look like he has a vorpal sword of giant slaying or whatever the hell magic weapon it may be, but it only does the damage of a basic vendor bought statless weapon of the same type. Same for armor.

randomhero00
2011-01-01, 01:15 PM
I could have sworn that it does not replicate armor or weapons.

Urpriest
2011-01-01, 01:53 PM
I could have sworn that it does not replicate armor or weapons.

You're right. The errataed Change Shape in the SRD says that gear changes size to match the new form or merges, which means that it won't change appearance.

RndmNumGen
2011-01-01, 02:04 PM
Hmm... What if we had a Doppelganger wearing a Mimic?

Morquard
2011-01-01, 02:11 PM
If we go the mystique route, then the doppelganger could likely make a visually perfect copy of the persons items, but like wolverines claws, they are just a weakened copy. So it may look like he has a vorpal sword of giant slaying or whatever the hell magic weapon it may be, but it only does the damage of a basic vendor bought statless weapon of the same type. Same for armor.
I would actually say in this case, that it doesn't do the basic vendor damage, but instead an unarmed attack. Because technically the vorpal sword of giant slaying is really just a part of the doppelganger.
If you go the mystique route that is. He'd most likely also not be able to throw the sword to the ground or give it to someone for the same reason.

KillianHawkeye
2011-01-01, 05:38 PM

I don't think she ever copied anybody's items besides clothing (at least not in the movies, as far as I can remember). She got Wolverine's claws because they are actually a part of him, not equipment.

wadledo
2011-01-01, 08:41 PM
RAW and RAI doppelgangers do not change clothing or items when they change shape, they simply change their physical features.
So a doppelganger trying to change into a pikeman would still have the same clothing and equipment it had before, but would look exact like the subject, except without the pike.

Though since the doppleganger is changing its shape, why wouldn't it be able to change its vocal cords so that it sounded different?:smallconfused:

(Keep in mind the Change Shape ability simply grants a +10 to disguise checks. A high enough spot check will make it useless.)

Milo v3
2011-01-30, 03:20 AM
If we go by 4th edition:

It can't duplicate a persons apparel or carried items, so it must dress and equip itself for the part. For this reason, it keeps several changes of clothing in its lair.

randomhero00
2011-01-30, 04:36 PM
i don't think so, for the same reason they can't sprout wings and fly. I always make my players change cloths

LibraryOgre
2011-01-31, 07:14 PM
I would have it that Dopplegangers CAN assume the shape of equipment, but gain no advantage from it... i.e. he can change himself to look like he's wearing plate armor, but it's still his flesh. Actually wearing the armor not only gives him the bonus protection, but also helps in the charade (because he can't take off armor that's actually his flesh).