PDA

View Full Version : Base Class Challenge Chat Thread II

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

Lord_Gareth
2011-06-11, 11:48 PM
Actually they were all my own. I can't recall one edit I made because of a reply.
Though I intended to at least to fix Starting Gold and Starting age as someone told me how they worked.

So, am I finally safe to assume I can post the class......

in the contest thread?

Well, even if Temo ultimately says no, you can just delete the post, so it's not like you'd be hurting anything by doing so.

Cipher Stars
2011-06-11, 11:51 PM
Well, even if Temo ultimately says no, you can just delete the post, so it's not like you'd be hurting anything by doing so.

Right, thanks!
*off to the thread.

Temotei
2011-06-11, 11:59 PM
I think I lean toward allowing the class in, if only because it was an accident by misreading of the rules. A majority of the posters here agree with that sentiment, so this time, the class is allowed. I'll make the rule more clear in future contest threads.

Sorry for my indecisiveness. I'm like that. In the future, post your class in the contest thread and nowhere else until the contest is finished. I look forward to your future entries, as well.

Cipher Stars
2011-06-12, 12:04 AM
Should I delete/have my thread deleted?

Temotei
2011-06-12, 12:09 AM
Should I delete/have my thread deleted?

As the contest is almost over, I don't see any real harm in leaving it up. We'll just pretend that it was posted after the contest's happening. :smallwink:

Also, ages (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/description.htm#age). Gold values aren't on the SRD, so you'll have to find them elsewhere if you want to see.

Cipher Stars
2011-06-12, 12:15 AM
As the contest is almost over, I don't see any real harm in leaving it up. We'll just pretend that it was posted after the contest's happening. :smallwink:

Also, ages (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/description.htm#age). Gold values aren't on the SRD, so you'll have to find them elsewhere if you want to see.

Thank you for that link. I was going blindly when I said "As Rogue" a while ago. Sounds right. 15+1d4, or 16-19. I went with the same starting gold as the Aristocrat which sounds right.

Temotei
2011-06-12, 12:21 AM
Thank you for that link. I was going blindly when I said "As Rogue" a while ago. Sounds right. 15+1d4, or 16-19. I went with the same starting gold as the Aristocrat which sounds right.

Just ask if you have anything else needing reference.

Morph Bark
2011-06-12, 06:44 AM
Actually, "can't be anywhere else besides our thread" doesn't work either, because, if my memory serves me right, others have posted outside of the actual contest thread, in addition to the contest thread, and asked for critiques there. If it didn't happen in this contest, it happened in another one, and it seems both valid and intelligent, in order to get more critiques.

For the record, this has been the case with the Monster Contests, but not the others. When Cipher PMed me about the issue, I answered based on the only non-Monster Contest example I knew of, which was about the PrC Contest with something Ksellus had made, which was therefore disqualified. Of course, PrC Contest =/= Base Class Challenge, so when I saw differently-opinioned replies in here back then, I figured it likely wouldn't do harm either way.

The Witch-King
2011-06-13, 07:07 PM
I've posted my Fabricator class to the Let's Dress Up Base Class Challenge:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11201444&postcount=12

I'm pretty new to the whole class creation thing so any comments or opinions, particularly with regards to game balance, would be greatly appreciated!

Amechra
2011-06-13, 07:21 PM
I apologize for this, but RL has come up, and I can't finish my entry.

I'll keep it up there, so that I can later transfer it over to another thread to work on it.

Temotei
2011-06-13, 11:01 PM
I apologize for this, but RL has come up, and I can't finish my entry.

I'll keep it up there, so that I can later transfer it over to another thread to work on it.

Darn. Well, there's always next contest. :smallwink:

dragonjek
2011-06-14, 03:11 PM
Whew. Put off doing this too long, and just barely finished it in time for today.

Cipher Stars
2011-06-14, 06:03 PM
I thought i closed today?

Well in that case I got some edits I need to do. *runs to thread*
edit

there. Stylist is much more useful now.

So... Yea I'm totally done..

Temotei
2011-06-14, 09:57 PM
I thought i closed today?

Well in that case I got some edits I need to do. *runs to thread*
edit

there. Stylist is much more useful now.

So... Yea I'm totally done..

It closes today at midnight. For me, that's in two hours. You've got time still! :smallwink:

Cipher Stars
2011-06-14, 10:04 PM
It closes today at midnight. For me, that's in two hours. You've got time still! :smallwink:

Thats two hours by your time or just at midnight, because for me thats three hours. :smallconfused:

Temotei
2011-06-15, 04:04 AM
Thats two hours by your time or just at midnight, because for me thats three hours. :smallconfused:

I go by Tim Time™. All others follow Tim Time™ as well for this contest. So, yeah, it ended approximately four hours ago.

Morph Bark
2011-06-15, 12:14 PM
In that vein, I've put up the voting thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203279). Figured about two weeks was the usual. :smallsmile:

Hiro Protagonest
2011-06-15, 10:47 PM
Assassin's Creed

*facepalm*

I should've added sneak attack! After all, it's based on a 4e paragon path for rogues.

Morph Bark
2011-06-26, 12:41 PM
Considering there are just four days of voting left (five including today), should we start thinking up theme ideas for the next contest?

Personally, I'd love some philosophy-based classes. Always wanted some after reading these (http://dresdencodak.com/2006/12/03/dungeons-and-discourse/) two pieces (http://dresdencodak.com/2009/01/27/advanced-dungeons-and-discourse/). Likely heavily involved with unique implementations of magic and technology. Heck, I already got a whole bunch of stuff ready for a Bayesian Empirimancer!

Cipher Stars
2011-06-26, 12:52 PM
Considering there are just four days of voting left (five including today), should we start thinking up theme ideas for the next contest?

Personally, I'd love some philosophy-based classes. Always wanted some after reading these (http://dresdencodak.com/2006/12/03/dungeons-and-discourse/) two pieces (http://dresdencodak.com/2009/01/27/advanced-dungeons-and-discourse/). Likely heavily involved with unique implementations of magic and technology. Heck, I already got a whole bunch of stuff ready for a Bayesian Empirimancer!

so... Technoesque Arcane/Magic? Like... steampunk robots that aren't steampunk but are built and animated through careful placement of magical seals/runes throughout its frame?

Morph Bark
2011-06-26, 03:02 PM
so... Technoesque Arcane/Magic? Like... steampunk robots that aren't steampunk but are built and animated through careful placement of magical seals/runes throughout its frame?

Wasn't really thinking about that. It's just that a lot of philosophical groups of thought would be very well suited to base a magical or technological class on.

For instance, postmodernism involves the belief that many apparent realities are only social constructs, subject to change inherent in time and place. This could result in a class that tweaks the laws of the universe around him by convincing others that that is the way it should be (or that that is the way it really is), thus changing social consensus.

Pythagoreanism could result in a class that is highly mathematical in nature, using formulae to affect the limitless essence of the world to create elemental effects.

A class based off Plato's views could involve a lot of calling effects from higher planes through a cave-like extraplanar "tunnel".

Just some thoughts to start off with.

GoblinArchmage
2011-06-26, 04:32 PM
I did have an idea for an Existentialist class. I was actually thinking that it would be more appropriate as a prestige class, though. I'm not sure whether I'll ever get around to making it, as I don't really have any homebrew experience and I would need a lot of feedback.

Temotei
2011-06-26, 11:34 PM
The philosophy theme seems like it kind of falls into the mind-themed contest...

Maybe we could do something based on environment? A class could be based on one or multiple elements (air, earth, fire, water, etc.), geomancy (Final Fantasy, anyone), a tree...:smalltongue:

GoblinArchmage
2011-06-27, 12:54 AM
Maybe class abilities should have something to do with a location. That might not work well with adventuring characters, though, unless the location is general rather than specific.

Temotei
2011-06-27, 01:06 AM
Maybe class abilities should have something to do with a location. That might not work well with adventuring characters, though, unless the location is general rather than specific.

That would fall under the environment idea. It's a good idea for a class, though. As a base class, you'd want to include more than one "location" and maybe a way to change your locations.

MammonAzrael
2011-06-27, 02:33 AM
Indeed, a single location would be far too restrictive to base a base class on anyways. I could see an environment-based one though.

Other ideas:

A class based around a single weapon or fighting style (like Kensai)
A class based on rituals - complex magic that is powerful, but takes more time to set up.
A class based on food, eating, consumption
A class focused on owning and maintaining a magic store
A class focused on soul
A class focused on heritage
A class focused on binding/shadow magic/truenaming
A class focused on physical appearance

And, of course, all the suggestion on page 6 of the thread.

Cipher Stars
2011-06-27, 02:51 AM
A class focused on physical appearance

Without BoEF's Appearance Stat?

Morph Bark
2011-06-27, 05:18 AM
The philosophy theme seems like it kind of falls into the mind-themed contest...

Maybe we could do something based on environment? A class could be based on one or multiple elements (air, earth, fire, water, etc.), geomancy (Final Fantasy, anyone), a tree...:smalltongue:

Fine by me too. I actually have had two class ideas floating around in my head at current that I really want to make: the Bayesian Empirimancer and the Flexinancer.

I love your referencing this.

The Witch-King
2011-06-27, 06:24 AM
I liked these:

How about...

A class based on science (Technology! Mad Science! Normal Science! Alchemy! Fake Science! Magitech! Etc.!)?

A class that is based on language, rune-working, Truespeaking, the Words of Creation, Black Speech, the written word, etc.?

A class based on the spirits, the dead, souls, etc.?

A class that has an object or companion required to work to full potential?

A class that relates to or has a connection to a certain creature or type of creature?

A class that originated from a certain race or culture, and is rarely found outside of it?

A class that involves the character changing into something else, be it becoming a lich ala Dread Necromancer, becoming an outsider like the Monk, transforming with Wild Shape like a Druid, or anything else the creator may think of?

Other ideas:

A class that's from another world.

Steampunk classes

Monster classes--not racial progression classes but a class that a race traditionally treated as monsters can take as a PC class--Minotaur Wrestlers, Hobgoblin Dictators, Troll Axethrowers, Illithid Insane Geniuses

Swashbuckler/Pirate classes

Replacement classes--You would pick some basic fundamental schtick of D&D and do a whole new class with a whole new approach for it--a thief that wasn't a Rogue--a priest that wasn't a Cleric or a Druid, a tribesman that isn't a barbarian, etc.

Mystic assassins--I'd love to see some of these!!

NPC classes good enough to compete with PC classes but still fundamentally structured for NPCs

Elemental classes--except you can't use Air, Earth, Fire, Water, Wood or Metal as elements but have to come up with something new

Anime classes

Space fantasy classes--like Star Wars but with magic instead of the Force

Old West classes

Stone Age/cavemen classes

Witch classes--I just saw the Nightsisters in Clone Wars and they were awesome!!

Classes some how based on flight

NineThePuma
2011-06-27, 01:26 PM

Why not include it?

What about a class that integrates an optional non-core rule/system?

Things like Honor, Taint, Incarnum, etc.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-06-27, 01:35 PM
Why not include it?.

Because not all of us have BoEF.

NineThePuma
2011-06-27, 07:44 PM
So? I do. :smalltongue:

Temotei
2011-06-30, 09:09 PM
A class based on food, eating, consumption

This could go somewhere if we take out the food/eating part. Just making the theme "consumption" would be interesting. It opens up possibilities that could have worked in the "Let Me Borrow That" contest but weren't entered, but also leaves open a great amount of other concepts, including food-based classes, soul eaters, "illithid" classes, and even crazy ideas like a shopper class.

Does anyone else have favorite ideas for implementation? I'd like some input into what you guys and gals like best, as we have a ton of ideas to pick from, but no leanings toward any of the ideas. :smalltongue:

The Witch-King
2011-07-01, 12:24 PM
What I'd like to see most would be steampunk classes. I once thought of starting a contest on my own for them that would accept both base and prestige classes as long as they were steampunk in nature.

After that, I'd like to see a contest wrapped around the concept of space fantasy. Not just spelljammer but any combination of space and fantasy--Dragonstar, for instance.

Noctemwolf
2011-07-01, 12:37 PM
Is the last contest over? I vote steampunk as well. =)

Temotei
2011-07-01, 09:29 PM
Thank you, Morph Bark, for taking over in my time of business. You've probably noticed that I'm less busy and more able to post lately. This is good. Participate in this contest. :smalltongue:

Cipher Stars
2011-07-01, 09:35 PM
Yay. My first contest class won ~<3

I think Steampunk is a little overused. I would say d&d needs more BoEF classes, but this isn't the right forum for that :P
Sooo...

1st: Divine/Arcane hybrid class
2nd: Psionic/Divine hybrid class
3rd: Psionic/Arcane hybrid class
honorable mention: Steampunk.

GoblinArchmage
2011-07-01, 09:52 PM
I think Steampunk is a little overused.

I agree. Although it can be pretty cool, it seems like it's usually more of a gimmick.

I would say d&d needs more BoEF classes

Basing it off of a single third party sourcebook is kind of restrictive, though. Not to mention that doing a theme that revolves around that is kind of...unpleasant for some.

Cipher Stars
2011-07-01, 10:07 PM
Basing it off of a single third party sourcebook is kind of restrictive, though.
I don't get how anyone sees it this way. Its more open in fact, The only thing different is your using things related to the book in addition the the norm. Which when contest classing usually you keep things in line with only Core. When actively working it to fit with an additional resource, you get Core, and what ever fun things lie with the base book.

Not to mention that doing a theme that revolves around that is kind of...unpleasant for some.

Though I'm no one of them I do agree that BoEF isn't one of the best books to revolve around here. I really don't see a problem with it if people don't explicitly describe anything or make it too Scrub'able.
BoEF isn't just about things to be shunned. It adds depth, better interaction, social dynamics, and namely Love. The sexual aspects of it is just something the book focuses a bit more on as its something that it needs to cover some more since there aren't much other places to look for rules, systems and mechanics for lust in d&d while maintaining a mature mood, unlike Nymphology which is more joking, and light hearted.

Lord_Gareth
2011-07-01, 10:15 PM
Instead of making the theme "BoEF" we could make the theme something like "Romance" or "Love" or maybe even "Charm" - do a spread of mind-based classes, controllers, and diplomamancers. That way there's plenty of room for, say, divine prostitutes as well as more esoteric concepts like Dashing Swordsman or what have you.

Cipher Stars
2011-07-01, 10:29 PM
Instead of making the theme "BoEF" we could make the theme something like "Romance" or "Love" or maybe even "Charm" - do a spread of mind-based classes, controllers, and diplomamancers. That way there's plenty of room for, say, divine prostitutes as well as more esoteric concepts like Dashing Swordsman or what have you.

My main goal for a BoEF class would be use of Appearance stat. which I agree with, Charisma =/= physical appearance and with it some brute of a character can't be as attractive as a character meant to be. (because as is its all just fluff, but not with the App stat)

But a Love&Romance contest is good.

Change in vote:
1st: Love&Romance
2nd: Psionic/Divine hybrid
3rd: Steampunk

Hiro Protagonest
2011-07-01, 10:33 PM
I vote for wuxia.

Temotei
2011-07-02, 12:05 AM
I'll let the votes continue until 11:59 p.m. of July 5th. At that time, I'll tally the votes and make a new thread. Sound fair?

Lord_Gareth
2011-07-02, 12:13 AM
Ooooh, we should do a "Can We Fix It" theme where we rebalance an already-published class!

NineThePuma
2011-07-02, 12:57 AM
+1 to the above.

Morph Bark
2011-07-02, 03:40 AM
While fixing established classes is often dandy, there are tons of fixes already out there, so it would be hard not to end up with some plagiarism or claims of plagiarism even if it is not the case.

Thank you, Morph Bark, for taking over in my time of business. You've probably noticed that I'm less busy and more able to post lately. This is good. Participate in this contest. :smalltongue:

You're welcome. :smallsmile: And I definitely will this time around.

"Charm" is a little too close to the mind-based theme that BCCV had.

Perhaps going for physical/appearance-based casters is an idea? Seems to me like that'd have the people work up something original.

Amechra
2011-07-02, 04:04 PM
I support appearance based casters. I have a fun little idea...

Togath
2011-07-02, 06:39 PM
By "anime classes", do you mean a humorous style(class with shonen time, magical girl class that have tranformation scenes, bishonen class that makes young girls swoon), or do you mean classes based on anime characters?(like Behold_the_Void's bleach classes)

Temotei
2011-07-02, 06:55 PM
By "anime classes", do you mean a humorous style(class with shonen time, magical girl class that have tranformation scenes, bishonen class that makes young girls swoon), or do you mean classes based on anime characters?(like Behold_the_Void's bleach classes)

I would guess our resident speedy mongoose meant classes with an anime style. You could base a class off a character, but you'd probably end up with a fairly thin base class unless that character has been developed very thoroughly. That's more of a prestige class's area, anyway.

Basing a class on a whole show filled with characters, though, may work.

So, in case there's still any confusion, it's the style of anime that would be the object if that was the theme, not anime itself.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-07-02, 07:25 PM
I'll take out the anime part. It's supposed to be wuxia style.

Togath
2011-07-02, 08:29 PM
Ah, still making a wuxia class could be fun., Actually I think I will vote for steampunk, it would be fun to see what people come up with for that theme.

Amechra
2011-07-02, 09:21 PM
Hmmm, Steampunk does sound good...

but it is so overused! Why can't we do something like DarkPunk? (Superscience using medieval technology! A completely unexplored genre!)

Togath
2011-07-02, 09:37 PM
Do you mean cyborg like beings and things such as aliens and scifi things(such as crashed spaceships, or some sort of blaster) in a medievel world?, I cant think of many things with that theme, but that would make people coming up with ideas for it more fun in my opinion.

Cipher Stars
2011-07-02, 09:59 PM
Do you mean cyborg like beings and things such as aliens and scifi things(such as crashed spaceships, or some sort of blaster) in a medievel world?, I cant think of many things with that theme, but that would make people coming up with ideas for it more fun in my opinion.

Just make fun "Magic" abilities that are actually run through Superscience, such as hyper advanced nanomachines in the blood stream, or connection to some mostly innert Starship hiding in space that connects through you by which you can perform many things, such as teleportation.

Amechra
2011-07-02, 11:36 PM
My thought was to have super-science runnin' on good ol' peasant labor, but you would need to compact it somehow...

Dang, now I have the PERFECT idea for a class...

The Witch-King
2011-07-02, 11:55 PM
My thought was to have super-science runnin' on good ol' peasant labor, but you would need to compact it somehow...

Dang, now I have the PERFECT idea for a class...

Wow--like D&D peasants didn't already have enough problems...

Morph Bark
2011-07-03, 07:38 AM
Wow--like D&D peasants didn't already have enough problems...

Yeah, they had enough trouble with the law after the Commoner Cannon incident...

Hiro Protagonest
2011-07-03, 10:53 AM
Yeah, they had enough trouble with the law after the Commoner Cannon incident...

And with all the cats and dogs running around...

Temotei
2011-07-04, 02:03 PM
{table=head]Theme|Votes
Steampunk|4
"Darkpunk"|1
Love and Romance|0
Appearance-based Casters|3
Wuxia|2
Can We Fix It?|2[/table]

I haven't voted.

Voters

Cipherthe3vil - Appearance-based Casters (1)
Amechra - Darkpunk (1)
Togath - Steampunk (1)
Swiftmongoose - Wuxia (1)
Morph Bark - Appearance-based Casters (2)
Lord_Gareth - Can We Fix It? (1)
NineThePuma - Wuxia (2)
Noctemwolf - Steampunk (2)
The WitchKing - Steampunk (3)
Seerow - Can We Fix It? (2)
Ringwrym - Appearance-based Casters (3)
C'nor - Steampunk (4)

I accidentally counted Amechra twice (once for darkpunk and once for appearance-based casters). Thanks, Morph, once more. :smallsmile:

Morph Bark
2011-07-04, 07:31 PM
Perhaps it would also be good to note the names of the voters next to for what they voted for? I've seen that most people who said here they loved the idea of steampunk also say they think it is overdone and therefore probably think something else for now is better suited.

Temotei
2011-07-04, 07:48 PM
Perhaps it would also be good to note the names of the voters next to for what they voted for? I've seen that most people who said here they loved the idea of steampunk also say they think it is overdone and therefore probably think something else for now is better suited.

Edited above post.

The Witch-King
2011-07-06, 12:02 PM
Looking forward to the next contest and eager to start work.

Temotei
2011-07-06, 08:17 PM
Any last votes? It's 8:17 here, so you've got just under four hours left. :smallsmile:

Hiro Protagonest
2011-07-06, 08:29 PM
I'll change to "can we fix it?".

Edit: actually, keep it where it is.

Cipher Stars
2011-07-06, 08:43 PM
{table=head]Theme|Votes
Steampunk|3
"Darkpunk"|1
Love and Romance|1
Appearance-based Casters|1
Wuxia|1
Can We Fix It?|2[/table]

I haven't voted.

Voters

Cipherthe3vil - Love and Romance (1)
Amechra - Darkpunk (1)
Togath - Steampunk (1)
Swiftmongoose - Wuxia (1)
Morph Bark - Appearance-based Casters (1)
Lord_Gareth - Can We Fix It? (1)
NineThePuma - Can We Fix It? (2)
Noctemwolf - Steampunk (2)
The WitchKing - Steampunk (3)

I accidentally counted Amechra twice (once for darkpunk and once for appearance-based casters). Thanks, Morph, once more. :smallsmile:

No secondary votes? I'll shift down to Appearance-Based casters then, so I can keep with something I want to do having a chance to win. (still rather do Love&Romance classes, you really don't see much of them in games.)

Seerow
2011-07-06, 08:58 PM
Im going to throw in a vote for "Can We Fix it?"

Ringwrym
2011-07-06, 09:25 PM
Appearance based casters for the heck of it.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-07-06, 09:26 PM
Change my vote to Can We Fix It?

Seerow
2011-07-06, 09:30 PM
Change my vote to Can We Fix It?

Gonna change back again in 5 minutes? :p

Hiro Protagonest
2011-07-06, 10:21 PM
Gonna change back again in 5 minutes? :p

Nope. :smalltongue:

I'm kinda worried that you'll pull out that stamina point system you said you've been working on.

Seerow
2011-07-06, 10:28 PM
Nope. :smalltongue:

I'm kinda worried that you'll pull out that stamina point system you said you've been working on.

I think that's outside the scope of the thread, given it touches on pretty much every martial class. Though I could scrape together a preview with a set of powers that goes with one class... a barbarian preview would be in order and would be something I hadn't posted before.

But we'll see.

The Witch-King
2011-07-06, 10:40 PM
My worry with Can We Fix It? is that if we're all working on the same class that everyone's work will look alike and if we work on different classes--it'll all look like the many attempts to fix classes that have already been posted on the forum.

Cipher Stars
2011-07-06, 11:27 PM
My worry with Can We Fix It? is that if we're all working on the same class that everyone's work will look alike and if we work on different classes--it'll all look like the many attempts to fix classes that have already been posted on the forum.

^- this.

Morph Bark
2011-07-07, 05:21 AM

That's prettymuch my concern as well. Unless you maybe tried to do that for classes that do not need fixes, because those haven't gotten re-done over and over (and over) again.

Basically, it would mean that if you touch upon the Core classes, there are a dozen fixes apiece already. Completes? Not as much, but Scout is often merged with Ranger, Ninja and Samurai have quite a few fixes, Warmage a few as well, Hexblade and Swashbuckler too. Warlock not as much, but there are of course a lot of invoker homebrew classes. Outside of that, there are the Soulknife, Soulborn, Shadowcaster and Truenamer and PHBII has Dragon Shaman and Knight.

What does this mean? If we would specifically not wish to touch upon those, we'd have to fix classes like the Warblade, Crusader and Swordsage, the Totemist and Incarnate, the Binder, Psion, Wilder, Psychic Warrior, Ardent, Dragonfire Adept, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer... and those classes don't need fixing at all.

Basically, while I am all for creating homebrew fixes, substitution levels, ACFs and so on, I don't think they fit the BCC. (Sub levels and ACFs would admittably make for a great challenge, but considering this is for base classes, that's off too.)

Hiro Protagonest
2011-07-07, 02:37 PM
Hm, I guess you're right. So even though it's unlikely to win, change my vote back to wuxia.

NineThePuma
2011-07-07, 02:50 PM
As awesome as it'd be to see a retool, yeah, I'm gonna say that we should go Wuxia.

Lady Serpentine
2011-07-07, 03:00 PM
So, what was the last vote for the previous voting period? I'm trying to figure out what has how many votes, so that I don't vote for something that it's completely futile to do so for, but I can't seem to figure out when the first vote I should count is.

Edit: This would probably be much easier if someone posted "End of voting period for the current contest. All further votes will be considered to be for the subject of the next contest.", or something similar.

Never mind. Apparently, these are all for this one. Although, doesn't that render Appearance Based Casters unvoteable, as they were the last challenge?

In any case, my vote would go to Steampunk.

Temotei
2011-07-07, 10:00 PM
I'll tally the votes up to now, since I wasn't there to create a thread at the specified time. I'm nice. :smalltongue: Watch this post for the next thread's theme before it's up.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-07-07, 10:02 PM
NineThePuma switched his vote to wuxia. Two posts above yours.

edit: oh, you hadn't tallied yet. Hadn't caught that.

Temotei
2011-07-07, 10:05 PM
NineThePuma switched his vote to wuxia. Two posts above yours.

I know. You switched, like, four times. It was mildly confuzzling, yo. :smallamused:

Anyway, tallied. C'nor tipped the scale and made the top-voted theme Steampunk.

Morph Bark
2011-07-08, 04:13 AM
Never mind. Apparently, these are all for this one. Although, doesn't that render Appearance Based Casters unvoteable, as they were the last challenge?

:smallconfused: What makes you think that?

Lady Serpentine
2011-07-08, 06:05 AM

In that case, I may have to change my vote. Either one is good though, at least for me.

What made me think that, though, was that most of the time contests like this have a rule that once a specific theme has been used, you can't use it again for a bit. I don't have a problem with this way, I was just confused (That's what made me think that some of the votes were still for the last one, too.)

Thanks for clearing it up!

Morph Bark
2011-07-08, 06:38 AM
In that case, I may have to change my vote. Either one is good though, at least for me.

What made me think that, though, was that most of the time contests like this have a rule that once a specific theme has been used, you can't use it again for a bit. I don't have a problem with this way, I was just confused (That's what made me think that some of the votes were still for the last one, too.)

:smalltongue: No problem, even though I just asked a question. What you said simply didn't seem much thought-through to me, as while the clothing thing might have been close to the appearance part of my suggestion, the casting bit was not an inherent part of Let's Play Dress Up! even though one or two of them turned into caster classes.

My idea was moreso to do with appearance of the person themselves rather than what they wear. Whether it is through looking incredibly beautiful or ugly, being very strong and showing off their muscles, or even a class based around how skinny/fat a character is and turning them into either an acrobat or a tanky caster. (Tanky caster, now there's an idea...)

Cipher Stars
2011-07-08, 06:48 AM
-or even a class based around how skinny/fat a character is and turning them into either an acrobat or a tanky caster. (Tanky caster, now there's an idea...)

Boomers anyone?

Chunky fat undead Summoners. Explode when killed. all fun...

Lady Serpentine
2011-07-08, 04:41 PM
or even a class based around how skinny/fat a character is and turning them into either an acrobat or a tanky caster. (Tanky caster, now there's an idea...)

Boomers anyone?

Okay, yeah, I'm changing my vote.

Please count me as voting for Appearance Based Casters.

EdroGrimshell
2011-07-08, 05:13 PM
Can i add a category? If so i'd like to vote a non-magic necromancer (no magic systems at all to accomplish it)

If not i'll put my vote into steampunk.

The Witch-King
2011-07-08, 05:16 PM
I know. You switched, like, four times. It was mildly confuzzling, yo. :smallamused:

Anyway, tallied. C'nor tipped the scale and made the top-voted theme Steampunk.

Are we still voting? Cause I thought we already had the theme for the next contest...

Temotei
2011-07-08, 05:25 PM

:smalltongue: No problem, even though I just asked a question. What you said simply didn't seem much thought-through to me, as while the clothing thing might have been close to the appearance part of my suggestion, the casting bit was not an inherent part of Let's Play Dress Up! even though one or two of them turned into caster classes.

My idea was moreso to do with appearance of the person themselves rather than what they wear. Whether it is through looking incredibly beautiful or ugly, being very strong and showing off their muscles, or even a class based around how skinny/fat a character is and turning them into either an acrobat or a tanky caster. (Tanky caster, now there's an idea...)

Boomers anyone?

Okay, yeah, I'm changing my vote.

Please count me as voting for Appearance Based Casters.

Can i add a category? If so i'd like to vote a non-magic necromancer (no magic systems at all to accomplish it)

If not i'll put my vote into steampunk.

Are we still voting? Cause I thought we already had the theme for the next contest...

I guess we could extend the voting period if we're still getting votes and new categories. I dunno, though.

Ringwrym
2011-07-08, 07:57 PM
Maybe extend for the rest of the day just to finalize

Temotei
2011-07-08, 11:28 PM
Maybe extend for the rest of the day just to finalize

I feel like if the result is something other than Steampunk, it'll be unfair to those who voted in the previous allotted time. At the same time, I'd like to allow everyone to vote, and I know not everyone knew about the voting period (It's obvious enough.), nor about there even being a voting deadline. Also, not everyone could have been online during the voting time, as it was fairly short.

Anyone else have definite opinions on this?

NineThePuma
2011-07-09, 12:20 AM
It's now past midnight on the east coast; while I'm west coast, Steam Punk is good enough. There's always next time.

Togath
2011-07-09, 12:33 AM
Any thoughts for a list of class themes that people have voted for(kind of like the one on page 10)?, for the next contest, once this one is over.

Lady Serpentine
2011-07-09, 03:38 AM
Yeah, if the voting was over let's just add the new category for next time and count me as voting Steampunk this time around. I hadn't realized that by "the votes are tallied" you meant that the period was over; I though you were just going to provide the same kind of table that can be seen on page 11.

Morph Bark
2011-07-09, 07:06 AM
I feel like if the result is something other than Steampunk, it'll be unfair to those who voted in the previous allotted time. At the same time, I'd like to allow everyone to vote, and I know not everyone knew about the voting period (It's obvious enough.), nor about there even being a voting deadline. Also, not everyone could have been online during the voting time, as it was fairly short.

Anyone else have definite opinions on this?

While I thought it was closed pretty quickly after the tiebreaking vote, I do agree that it would be unfair to those who wanted Steampunk. To clarify though, I figured that I would explain to C'nor (and, well, the rest) why I felt Appearance-based Casters was different from previous themes.

It's now past midnight on the east coast; while I'm west coast, Steam Punk is good enough.

Rogues are "good enough", but Factotums are "better". :smallwink::smalltongue:

Temotei
2011-07-11, 01:18 PM
New thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11394202) is steam-driven.

Also, I made bold the part about not having your class elsewhere and reworded a phrase or two.

Lady Serpentine
2011-07-12, 04:56 AM
One thing: You didn't post the formatting code in a spoiler, or, for that matter, anywhere. Could you please do that, so that it's easier to follow the format?

Morph Bark
2011-07-12, 07:23 AM
One thing: You didn't post the formatting code in a spoiler, or, for that matter, anywhere. Could you please do that, so that it's easier to follow the format?

You mean in a spoiler [*noparse] rather, so that you can easily copy-paste it. :smallwink:

Lady Serpentine
2011-07-12, 08:29 AM
Probably. I have just about no clue what codes need using, but that sounds like the right thing.

Ursus the Grim
2011-07-12, 11:56 AM
I may have the audacity to throw my hat into the ring on this one. At the very least I'll be a foil. Somebody's got to be the worst. :smallbiggrin:

Quick question that I haven't seen addressed. Are we aiming for a specific tier of power here? Or are they (theoretically) judged on just how likable they are?

Temotei
2011-07-12, 03:00 PM

Good plan. I'll change it now to have non-parsed coding for easy copy-pasting.

For reference, you could have quoted my post and copied the coding from there, but this'll be easier for newer posters. Thanks for the feedback. :smallsmile:

EDIT: Oh, also, here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/misc.php?do=bbcode). It might make future posting easier.

Quick question that I haven't seen addressed. Are we aiming for a specific tier of power here? Or are they (theoretically) judged on just how likable they are?

There is no restriction on tier, nor do you have to aim for a particular tier. Generally, critique will be based on what most people view as balanced, which is around tier 3. If you're aiming for a higher or lower tier, saying so in a note wouldn't be a bad thing, though it's not necessary. From what I've seen, votes have been given to the creations that the majority see as sticking close to the theme while branching out of it, as well. Creativity, coolness, and visuals all play a decent factor in votes, in addition to the fluff and mechanics those factors are built on.

Ursus the Grim
2011-07-12, 03:16 PM
There is no restriction on tier, nor do you have to aim for a particular tier. Generally, critique will be based on what most people view as balanced, which is around tier 3. If you're aiming for a higher or lower tier, saying so in a note wouldn't be a bad thing, though it's not necessary. From what I've seen, votes have been given to the creations that the majority see as sticking close to the theme while branching out of it, as well. Creativity, coolness, and visuals all play a decent factor in votes, in addition to the fluff and mechanics those factors are built on.

That was my assumption. Thanks very much for the clarification.

Temotei
2011-07-13, 09:45 PM
If you end up having enough room in the first post, delete your reserved post, Noctemwolf. Of course, I doubt you'll know until you're finished, eh? :smalltongue:

Fifty-thousand characters is the limit per-post, by the way, in case you do know.

Noctemwolf
2011-07-13, 10:21 PM
Gotcha! Thank you! I thought I might reserve a post for putting the stats of creatures in, and maybe an example character from the class. If I end up not needing it though, it will be gone. =)

Aergoth
2011-07-15, 07:02 AM
Working on a steampunk-inspired Martial Adept :smallbiggrin:

Ursus the Grim
2011-07-15, 08:18 AM
Heh. So both of my ideas have already been swordsage'd. Guess I wasn't as original as I thought. Time to begin anew.

Morph Bark
2011-07-15, 07:17 PM
Very very bare bones so far. I got a good idea in my head of what I want, but I am not putting up a picture yet else it would be revealed way too soon.

Suffice to say, I'm going to combine the literal with the figurative interpretation. :smallamused:

Aergoth
2011-07-16, 07:29 PM
Methinks I doth perceive a PVP reader :smalltongue:

Class posted!
At the moment, my biggest worry about the class is balance. It has a lot of maneuvers and a lot of bonuses. Other than that, a lot of names and fluff need working on, and I'm not happy with the progression of the class abilities.
In the interest of full disclosure, a break down of inspirations and similar.

Some of the maneuvers for the class I'm working on are simply refluffed desert wind maneuvers, and I'm sure I've borrowed from a few other schools here and there. Some of the maneuver fluff is inspired by Force Unleased (force lightning!)

The Mind Thrust is borrowed from Libris Mortis' Brain in a Jar (one of the most interesting undead I've ever seen) with the damage scaled up and a few limits placed on it, as is the madness effect that follows it.

Cogs were inspired partly by the spell secrets of the Wu Jen, while the whole progression towards a construct owes its existence to the Renegade Mastermaker from Magic of Eberron. The perfect tactic is borrowed from the Archivist's Dark Knowledge, while the Martial Innovation borrows from the Warmage's Advanced Learning.

Spring Heels owes its inspiration, in part, to Chell, while the mechanic involved is borrowed from the monk. The clockwork Heart of War is inspired by Kroenen from Hellboy. Darkeye is a reference to Terminator, though the Renegade Mastermaker is equally at fault. The Clockwork Soul of War owes part of its existence to the video for The World is Not Enough.

I'm sure I'm missing something here.

Morph Bark
2011-07-17, 02:13 PM
Hmmm, methinks I need to take my idea in a slightly different direction. I was originally planning on having etheric vibrations be done in a power point system, but I think I will go with invocations instead, modified by working together with steam points. Just need to fully write that up still, but now I got a good idea of it all.

Aergoth
2011-07-17, 05:34 PM
Cogs need more work, they don't quite make sense at the moment.

Machinekng
2011-07-17, 10:12 PM
Well, I just posted my entry, and my first homebrew base class: the flight-based Aviator.

Kittenwolf
2011-07-17, 10:40 PM
Heh. So both of my ideas have already been swordsage'd. Guess I wasn't as original as I thought. Time to begin anew.

Are there any kind of rules against having classes on the same theme but mechanically different?
Ursus has beaten me to the "Person who modifies their body with clockwork parts" theme, though mine was more.. tinkering mechanic style than any kind of philosophical bent :)

Just want to know if I need to come up with a new theme or not

Morph Bark
2011-07-18, 03:50 AM
Are there any kind of rules against having classes on the same theme but mechanically different?

Of course not, especially since the whole contest is about creating classes with the same theme, but different mechanics (and variations in fluff). :smallwink:

Aergoth
2011-07-18, 06:47 AM
Hence why we now have three different martial initiators :smallamused:

Ursus the Grim
2011-07-18, 07:25 AM
Ursus has beaten me to the "Person who modifies their body with clockwork parts" theme, though mine was more.. tinkering mechanic style than any kind of philosophical bent :)

Just want to know if I need to come up with a new theme or not

Nope, no rules against it. I just wanted to avoid competing with similar concepts. Its a lot easier to tell how rotten an apple is if you've got better ones right there. So I tried to be an orange.

That being said, I like the way yours is shaping up.

Kittenwolf
2011-07-18, 07:34 AM
Nope, no rules against it. I just wanted to avoid competing with similar concepts. Its a lot easier to tell how rotten an apple is if you've got better ones right there. So I tried to be an orange.

That being said, I like the way yours is shaping up.

Huzzah, I shall begin work immediately.

I find it quite impressive that you like how mine is shaping up, considering that I haven't written it yet ;)

Ursus the Grim
2011-07-18, 07:41 AM
Huzzah, I shall begin work immediately.

I find it quite impressive that you like how mine is shaping up, considering that I haven't written it yet ;)

Clearly you're not careful enough about locking up at night. :smallamused:

In all seriousness, though. I meant to say I am looking forward to it. I however, just woke up, and sometimes my language struggles with me.

Morph Bark
2011-07-18, 08:36 AM
Due to my art sources I now have a few other, better ideas, but I am going to work out my current one first and see how it ends up, mostly because I want to submit something original rather than new mechanics for a class that is similar in fluff to many other classes.

Mostly because I'm jealous at how easily others seem to come up with particular mechanics. :smalltongue:

Temotei
2011-07-18, 12:16 PM
A lot happened since Thursday. Sweet. I like what I see. :smallbiggrin:

Owrtho
2011-07-18, 01:50 PM
Well, I'm somewhat interested in this contest theme, but I feel inclined to ask, does the class have to be steampunk, or can it be a similarly themed tech level, such as clockwork, or more specifically, necrotech/clockwork? I ask as clockwork, while often incorporated into steampunk, on it's own would actually fall into clock punk (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ClockPunk) instead, while the necrotech part would be well, necrotech.
I'd also plan to incorporate a system for designing prosthetic parts that I haven't gotten around to typing up but would likely post in it's own thread before working on a class focused around it.

Owrtho

Temotei
2011-07-18, 05:50 PM
Well, I'm somewhat interested in this contest theme, but I feel inclined to ask, does the class have to be steampunk, or can it be a similarly themed tech level, such as clockwork, or more specifically, necrotech/clockwork? I ask as clockwork, while often incorporated into steampunk, on it's own would actually fall into clock punk (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ClockPunk) instead, while the necrotech part would be well, necrotech.
I'd also plan to incorporate a system for designing prosthetic parts that I haven't gotten around to typing up but would likely post in it's own thread before working on a class focused around it.

Owrtho

Clockwork and such things just outside the scope of steampunk but within the same echelon of technology should work just fine for this contest.

Kittenwolf
2011-07-18, 07:21 PM
Clearly you're not careful enough about locking up at night. :smallamused:

In all seriousness, though. I meant to say I am looking forward to it. I however, just woke up, and sometimes my language struggles with me.

I did wonder why my door was back to front this morning...

I know what you mean about language in the morning ><

Owrtho
2011-07-18, 09:25 PM
Clockwork and such things just outside the scope of steampunk but within the same echelon of technology should work just fine for this contest.

Good to know. Well then, I better start working on Necroclock grafts and hope I can make enough progress to make a base class around them in time for the contest. Despite my planned modularity, I expect the hardest part will be determining materials, costs, and crafting DCs which I have no experience with. Well then, I shall likely post back here in a day or so when I have enough of the components and blueprints done.

Owrtho

Amechra
2011-07-19, 05:13 PM
Yep, I'm making a Spark.

You know, those guys from Girl Genius? Yeah.

Basically, Infusions crossed with Invocations, combo'd with a rather... interesting graft system.

Fun part is the whole "I remove your imperfections! Now, here, have a random chance of BERSERK RAGE!"

Hiro Protagonest
2011-07-19, 05:25 PM
Yep, I'm making a Spark.

You know, those guys from Girl Genius? Yeah.

Basically, Infusions crossed with Invocations, combo'd with a rather... interesting graft system.

Fun part is the whole "I remove your imperfections! Now, here, have a random chance of BERSERK RAGE!"

No! Not the Spark! :smalltongue:

Spark should be a template of sorts that gives an intelligence boost and a wisdom penalty. Or some such.

Aergoth
2011-07-19, 05:39 PM
I've always thought that sparks would make the most sense as a bloodline of sorts.

Morph Bark
2011-07-19, 06:34 PM
In the GGverse, Sparks are simply those people who have the inborn ability to take levels in Artificer, which no other people in that world can do.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-07-19, 07:07 PM
In the GGverse, Sparks are simply those people who have the inborn ability to take levels in Artificer, which no other people in that world can do.

Other people can build machines. Sparks build the best machines. They have some intelligence bonus and a bonus on some skill checks, but they probably take a penalty to wisdom.

Kittenwolf
2011-07-19, 07:26 PM
This could be interesting, since my entry has changed to a Clank driver :D

Morph Bark
2011-07-19, 07:50 PM
Other people can build machines. Sparks build the best machines. They have some intelligence bonus and a bonus on some skill checks, but they probably take a penalty to wisdom.

Non-artificers can also craft most stuff Artificers can, just not as well. :smallamused:

ErrantX
2011-07-19, 08:28 PM
Hmmm... I've had a project on the backburner along the vein of the current contest... I may actually put together a submission for this one. It's been since Altar of Naught since I last participated!

-X

Seerow
2011-07-19, 09:52 PM
Y'know I was never big into steampunk, but right now I'm wondering if I have enough time to make a Shadowrun Cyberzombie with a D&D flair.

Probably won't, and there's probably someone already doing something similar, but it'd be interesting.

boomwolf
2011-07-20, 04:16 PM
I think I got the most pucked-up idea ever, but I need it to be allowed first as it does not quite fit into the concept of base class (or class in general)

Basically my idea is a combination of race, class, and items. The Mechanized Yark Reckoner (MYR, totally forced that one...)

In short: its sort of a race, that has no racial abilities at all, except construct type features (not even size!) that is compelled to play this one "class" (and intended PrC's?)

The essence of the monstrosity is the "Core" that is it's version of a soul, contains all the essentials of memory, experience, mental ability scores, etc and serves as a placement for components.

The class itself grants no HD, no BaB no saves, but only progression tables to how much components the "core" can handle, what sort of chassis it can operate etc, etc..

The components are items, that when combined (by certain rules) around a "core" creates the actual statblock of the MYR, using the mental abilities of his "core", and effectively advancement as a MYR is to gain XP to level up your "core" so it can function with more and more components (and learn new feats and skills as normal), and then combining and recombining the components you collect to make yourself "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger‏"

Its a sick idea, and no clue if I can pull it off, but am I allowed to submit this if I manage to?

Morph Bark
2011-07-20, 07:38 PM
In short: its sort of a race, that has no racial abilities at all, except construct type features (not even size!) that is compelled to play this one "class" (and intended PrC's?)

The class itself grants no HD, no BaB no saves, but only progression tables to how much components the "core" can handle, what sort of chassis it can operate etc, etc..

So it is prettymuch a monster class where you accumulate LA? :smallconfused:

boomwolf
2011-07-21, 06:16 AM
Errrr...not exactly...
You accumulate semi-HD (almost everything but the actual hit-points), yes, but you also gain the ability to operate higher level components, and a higher number of components, and the components themselves are what gives you all the vital statistics.

So for exsample a basic Chassis components (you must have one) grants a certain amount of HP and armor, and a higher level Chassis grants more HP, and perhaps some special ability (regenerative Chassis, electric vengeance Chassis, an so on...)

Optimally I want to make 6 levels of components (and level 0 for basic ones), with the component types being Chassis (HP, armor, stuff like that), Arm (most Chassis allows 2 arms, provide attacks), Head (senses and stuff), Legs (movement and stuff), and Pack (optional, provides a variety of utility abilities) an I hope to get about 2-3 of each type for each level...

Temotei
2011-07-21, 02:43 PM
I'm not sure. I think it should probably be in its own thread, as it's not really a base class, but that might just be me.

Aergoth
2011-07-21, 02:56 PM
Seems more like a modular quasi-monster class. Sort of like the evolutionist.

boomwolf
2011-07-21, 03:28 PM
Bummer...I really liked the idea...even if it's more of a monster class then a base class...(that oddly enough required items to operate at all. weird huh?)

Well then...that was kina the only idea I had...will probably sit out, again.

Amechra
2011-07-21, 03:59 PM
I have the class table and the list of Improvements and Discoveries up, and I need suggestions for each list (Improvements are kinda weird, in that they have three states: Normal, Specialized, and BERSERK!)

So... Any ideas?

Ursus the Grim
2011-07-21, 04:04 PM
I have the class table and the list of Improvements and Discoveries up, and I need suggestions for each list (Improvements are kinda weird, in that they have three states: Normal, Specialized, and BERSERK!)

So... Any ideas?

I'm afraid my creativity is a bit tapped at the moment. I've got more of my submission done, but I'm only about halfway to where I want to be. Oh, and I will be extremely busy in early August, so I've actually got an earlier deadline for myself. :smalleek:

Chambers
2011-07-24, 11:13 PM
If we've already made something (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171227) that would fit for this contest, are we allowed to submit or not?

Kittenwolf
2011-07-25, 12:43 AM
If we've already made something (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171227) that would fit for this contest, are we allowed to submit or not?

I may be wrong, but since rule #1 states in it "You may not post your entry anywhere else until after the contest is finished", I don't think so, sorry :(

Noctemwolf
2011-07-27, 07:22 PM
Anyone want to critique what I have so far? I'll do the same for you... =)

I'm not completely done yet. i still have to work out the tech points for building the companions, the gold costs, and what each golem type does.

ErrantX
2011-07-31, 09:58 PM
Alright, the Generator (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11539043&postcount=14) and its abilities (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11539049&postcount=15) are posted in the contest thread! PEACH and let me know what you think!

-X

ErrantX
2011-08-01, 10:36 PM
Anyone want to critique what I have so far? I'll do the same for you... =)

I'm not completely done yet. i still have to work out the tech points for building the companions, the gold costs, and what each golem type does.

I'm game! PEACH for the Golem Master!

I like what I see so far. It definitely has a highly tech feel to it, and honestly, I'd try to remove some of the more overt magical qualities from it. If you have access to it, I'd honestly suggest using artificer for infusions instead of spells for this class, as I see that as being more of a fit. If not, it's cool, and the spells you've selected are more or less fitting (I can't see them as spells, I'd see them as spell-like abilities chosen from the list to use like invocations from the power gauntlet.)

Overall, I like what you've got going so far and I hope you can make deadline (and if not, move to a separate thread for completion!) to see what comes of it. A lot of your abilities aren't up, but the power gauntlet is pretty cool. I don't know so much about punishing someone for multiclassing in though. Seems excessive.

-X

Kittenwolf
2011-08-02, 01:54 AM
If anyone wanted to critique the Clankmaster then go for it :)
Rather unfinished at the moment but I think there's enough there to get a reasonable idea.

Owrtho
2011-08-06, 02:51 AM
Well, I finally got the basics of my necrotech/clockwork combination typed out and posted (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210375). Once I add in a few more works and components, and get the last few bits figured out, I should be able to try making a class built around it. Then I could even make a PRC for it in the PRC contest. I'm thinking I'll make a base class that excels at making and maintaining necroclock devices provided I have time.

Owrtho

Morph Bark
2011-08-06, 05:25 PM
Erm, all entries must be posted in the Base Class Challenge thread itself. Posting it outside of it generally means disqualification.

Owrtho
2011-08-06, 06:33 PM
Erm, all entries must be posted in the Base Class Challenge thread itself. Posting it outside of it generally means disqualification.

If that was directed at me, I realize that. I also am not going to post the class there until after the contest. That thread is for the system in general, which is simply going to be utilized by the class (much like many classes utilize various spellcasting systems). That said, the class will likely reference the thread, since I'm not going to retype all the various things for it (just parts important to the class, and likely things like learns how to make a new design each level or some such).

Owrtho

Morph Bark
2011-08-07, 02:00 AM
If that was directed at me, I realize that. I also am not going to post the class there until after the contest. That thread is for the system in general, which is simply going to be utilized by the class (much like many classes utilize various spellcasting systems). That said, the class will likely reference the thread, since I'm not going to retype all the various things for it (just parts important to the class, and likely things like learns how to make a new design each level or some such).

Owrtho

Ahh, very well. Very smart of you. Carry on. :smallsmile:

Amechra
2011-08-07, 02:14 AM
Does my current idea look too silly?

Owrtho
2011-08-09, 12:35 AM
Does anyone have any thoughts on the system (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210375) I'm planing to use for my class? I still need to get some of the basics of it down before I can start.

Owrtho

Amechra
2011-08-09, 01:47 AM
I would like everyone to take a look at my current rules for Servants and Power Armor. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11467612#post11467612)

Yes, I do realize that you could make a Swordsage Servant, and apply it to a cat as Power Armor, and it would proceed to slaughter every commoner in sight. This is intentional.

Ursus the Grim
2011-08-09, 08:02 AM
Ho boy. Guess who's vacation away from his written ideas for the class was just extended for another week. I'm going to have to hustle and hash together something ASAP.

Like I said though, someone has to be in last place in any competition.

Everyone else looks pretty awesome, but I don't have the proper viewpoint to offer any constructive help.

Edit: And its up. If anyone has any comments or suggestions, I'm open to it. I didn't want to chance time zones screwing me up and I figured it'd be good to have some extra time, so I think I'm done for now. Looking forward to seeing everyone else's finished products.

Temotei
2011-08-11, 05:19 PM
That Phantom of the Opera picture is hilarious and awesome. I knew I'd seen that before. Luckily, I have Goggles by Google. :smalltongue:

Temotei
2011-08-12, 02:07 AM
Voting thread's up. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11622758) Also, the progressive blade needs background fluff. It's not really worth disqualification, but I'd like to see it filled, regardless.

Owrtho
2011-08-12, 02:14 AM
Darn, seems I missed the cut off date. Ah well, I'll still make a class anyway once I get the basics down. Still, looks like a nice turnout of classes.

Owrtho

Amechra
2011-08-12, 02:51 AM
Alright, so what's the next theme? We still looking at appearance based casters, or am I hallucinating?

Morph Bark
2011-08-12, 04:34 AM
Darn, seems I missed the cut off date. Ah well, I'll still make a class anyway once I get the basics down. Still, looks like a nice turnout of classes.

Owrtho

I'll be interested in seeing your stuff.

While I knew of the end date, I lost inspiration halfway through while I was on holiday and then figured, eh, it wasn't that great of an idea anyway.

Temotei
2011-08-12, 06:10 PM
Alright, so what's the next theme? We still looking at appearance based casters, or am I hallucinating?

We could vote again or go with the next-top-voted option from the last vote, which was appearance-based casters.

Opinions?

Owrtho
2011-08-12, 08:25 PM
We could vote again or go with the next-top-voted option from the last vote, which was appearance-based casters.

Opinions?

Well, if you do decide to vote again, I'd place my vote in inane concepts taken seriously. Or another way of putting it, take something that from a brief summery sounds stupid or like a joke, and make a serious version of it. May also just call it Better than it sounds (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BetterThanItSounds) since it seems about the same idea.

Owrtho

Amechra
2011-08-12, 08:26 PM
Appearance based casters sound fun, actually...

"I feel pretty, oh so pretty, so pretty, and APOCALYPSE FROM THE SKY witty and GAY!"

BRING ON SERIOUS NURSERY RHYMES!

Temotei
2011-08-15, 03:52 AM
Alright. Let's vote.

Two so far for "Better Than it Sounds/Looks."

Morph Bark
2011-08-30, 07:24 AM
"Better than it looks" sounds like it could easily be Appearance Based Casters. :smalltongue:

With that idea though, I don't really care which of it becomes, because most of my works stem from "better than it sounds" anyway. Hence why my design philosophy is the best homebrew is something serious that can be used in a silly campaign or something silly that can be used in a serious campaign.

Temotei
2011-09-05, 12:04 PM
1st Place: Generator by ErrantX
2nd Place: Combinatoric Maven by Amechra
3rd Place: Aviator by Machinekng

Contest VIII will be up in a day or two.

Noctemwolf
2011-09-05, 01:10 PM
Maybe this time I can finish my class on time. =P

Ursus the Grim
2011-09-09, 01:34 PM
Congrats, Amechra. I was pretty impressed with each of the submissions. I'll just have to work harder.

I vote for better than it sounds. We just had stylistic casters, I want sound, lol.

The Witch-King
2011-09-18, 04:37 PM
Tossing in a vote for FANTASY IN SPACE!!!

Morph Bark
2011-09-18, 05:32 PM

I actually currently have a very awesome idea for science fantasy stuff, but that is more setting-wise.

The Witch-King
2011-09-20, 09:45 PM
I actually currently have a very awesome idea for science fantasy stuff, but that is more setting-wise.

Well, if you decide to post something on it here on the forum, please let me know. Thanks!

Noctemwolf
2011-09-20, 10:13 PM
Whatever the next challenge, I plan to actually finish my entry! :smallredface:

Morph Bark
2011-09-21, 03:57 AM
Well, if you decide to post something on it here on the forum, please let me know. Thanks!

Ha! Will do! But first, I must finish my class based off Louis Armstrong. So I'm hoping the next theme will be in line with that. :smallamused:

Hiro Protagonest
2011-09-21, 01:53 PM

My entry for that is a psychic warrior with the name changed to force-sensitive (most wield psychokinetic swords).

My vote goes to high-seas adventure!

Silva Stormrage
2011-09-22, 12:58 AM
Wait what are the options for what the next contest is? I can't seem to find them anywhere

Temotei
2011-09-22, 07:50 PM
Wait what are the options for what the next contest is? I can't seem to find them anywhere

Just vote for whatever you want. A few more votes would be nice before making a list.

TravelLog
2011-09-22, 08:07 PM
A few ideas for the next contest:

Gone But Not Forgotten

Reflections in the Mirror

On the Other Side

Right Behind You

The Witch-King
2011-09-26, 07:08 PM
Tossing in a vote for FANTASY IN SPACE!!!My entry for that is a psychic warrior with the name changed to force-sensitive (most wield psychokinetic swords).

Fantasy In Space does NOT have to equal "Star Wars." Nor do psionics have to be involved.

Amechra
2011-09-26, 07:15 PM
Look, let me put this out here...

START THE GORRAM CHALLENGE ALREADY!

Please, pretty please? I don't mind what the theme ultimately is, I just want it to START.

NineThePuma
2011-09-27, 06:41 PM
Fantasy In Space sounds good on paper, but compare it to an average game.

Where's the value of a class that's an astronaut when you're adventuring in a more typical fantasy world?

Rather than Fantasy In Space, my vote is for Space In Fantasy; adapting awesome Science Fiction concepts or otherwise "spacey" goodies into stuff that fits for a more typical fantasy environment.

The Witch-King
2011-09-27, 09:52 PM
Fantasy In Space sounds good on paper, but compare it to an average game.

Where's the value of a class that's an astronaut when you're adventuring in a more typical fantasy world?

Rather than Fantasy In Space, my vote is for Space In Fantasy; adapting awesome Science Fiction concepts or otherwise "spacey" goodies into stuff that fits for a more typical fantasy environment.

Put it like that and I think Fantasy In Space/Space In Fantasy would make a great combined theme for a contest!

Temotei
2011-09-28, 01:18 AM
Space/Fantasy Contest (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216894) up.

Hoo-hah. I'll hurry up next time. :smalltongue:

NineThePuma
2011-09-28, 01:34 AM
I don't think I'll be entering this one, but y'all have fun. =3 I expect awesome from you guys.

Edit: Question.

What stops me from taking the barbarian class, filing a few pieces off, and then tacking on something random? The Contest rules are (forgive me for being blunt) really not inspiring originality. It seems more appropriate for ACFs or PrCs. It might work for one or two concepts, but making a space age bounty hunter can be done by just using a ranger. Making a Space Ranger or similar is liable to be a normal Ranger with a few changes.

Machinekng
2011-09-28, 11:38 PM
My entry idea:

Spelljammer Mariner.

Noctemwolf
2011-09-28, 11:58 PM
Making a Space Ranger or similar is liable to be a normal Ranger with a few changes.

not necessarily. :smallbiggrin:

http://www.themagazine.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Buzz-Lightyeear.png

Owrtho
2011-09-29, 12:29 AM
Space/Fantasy Contest (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216894) up.

Hoo-hah. I'll hurry up next time. :smalltongue:

I'm somewhat confused. Didn't the Better than it sound/looks have 3 votes to the Space in fantasies' 2? Ah well, I'm sure I can figure something out. Well, that or get distracted and miss the deadline, but I'm hoping for the former.

Owrtho

Noctemwolf
2011-09-29, 02:08 AM
Okay, ,so, I have something figured out... and posted. 0_0** this time I shall complete it!

(And for any that look, Yes, the name pun IS intentional).

I also promise to take some time to review any other entries if asked. I didn't last time and to those who reviewed me and didn't get one back, I apologize.

GuyFawkes
2011-09-29, 04:04 AM
Wow. That was fast. Hope I could find some time to make an entry.

Noctemwolf
2011-09-29, 11:24 AM
I just had an idea and I really wanted to get it down before I forgot it. so... 0-0*

Saidoro
2011-09-29, 05:00 PM
Wow, I actually have an idea for this for once. An idea involving lasers (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KillSat). I'll probably post the skeleton later today.

NineThePuma
2011-09-29, 05:11 PM
not necessarily. :smallbiggrin:

http://www.themagazine.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Buzz-Lightyeear.png

Excluding Buzz, ALL of their abilities are racial traits. The rest of their abilities are part of their equipment.

Noctemwolf
2011-09-29, 07:18 PM
Excluding Buzz, ALL of their abilities are racial traits. The rest of their abilities are part of their equipment.

:smallbiggrin: Just trying to be silly, mate. But yes, I can see that.

Derjuin
2011-09-30, 04:54 AM
Gonna give this another shot since I've actually hit upon an idea this time :smallbiggrin:

Temotei
2011-09-30, 04:01 PM
I'm somewhat confused. Didn't the Better than it sound/looks have 3 votes to the Space in fantasies' 2? Ah well, I'm sure I can figure something out. Well, that or get distracted and miss the deadline, but I'm hoping for the former.

Owrtho

Honestly, I was lazy and didn't count. I'll do that theme next time. Sorry for any disappointment this may have caused.

Owrtho
2011-10-01, 03:49 PM
Well, I figure it would be best to ask first, so Saidoro, your Danmaku themed class has given me an idea to make a bullet hell based class myself, but seeing as that your class is also curtain fire based, and what gave me the idea for my class (though most of the main features of my idea do not seem to be represented in your class), I thought I ought to ask if you feel that would be too much stealing your idea for the contest. If so I'll try coming up with something else.

Owrtho

Saidoro
2011-10-01, 09:22 PM
Yeah, go ahead. I'd like to see what you come up with and I hardly invented the idea of shooting things with lasers:smallbiggrin:. Though it would have been pretty awesome if I had.
There probably won't even be all that much overlap, I started with the idea of massive numbers of lasers and called it Danmaku because that's the first thing I could think of with that theme, and it sounds like you're doing it the other way around.

Morph Bark
2011-10-02, 03:07 PM
Quoted from PMs:

Got a question for the Base Class Challenge: are we allowed to make E6 classes, like Gnorman (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215986) is currently working on?

I hate to shut anything down, but my instinct is no. How about we ask the community for their opinions? :smalltongue:

People's thoughts?

Noctemwolf
2011-10-02, 04:39 PM
Quoted from PMs:

People's thoughts?

Well, an E6 class IS still a base class... just for a slightly modified version of Dnd. I don't see a problem with it, so long as it well designed. :smallbiggrin:

Owrtho
2011-10-05, 01:38 AM
I don't have a problem with someone submitting an E6 class.

Also, submitted the start of my entry. Not really much there yet as the main feature of the class has yet to be detailed. That said, I plan to get spell cards up soon.

Also, I wonder if anyone can figure out where the class name comes from (and I mean specifically).

Owrtho

Amechra
2011-10-06, 03:06 PM
So...

I'm making a truechanting gishy class.

So yeah.

Dralnu
2011-10-08, 08:37 PM
Became inspired to do a gravity-theme fighter type. Every even level he gets a choice from a power pool like Pathfinder likes to do. Bonuses to hit, damage, refluffed spells/psionics like Shield or Scorn Earth, bullrush, push/pull opponents towards you, summon gravity fields that can debuff/buff, whatever else I can think of. Should take a really long time to complete though.

EDIT: Oh, and anyone who is a physicist, I'm sorry for all the pain I will cause you.

GuyFawkes
2011-10-09, 12:16 AM
I knew that gravity was bound to fall unto this contest inevitably. :smallbiggrin: I am eager to see how you shall put the mechanical and fluff parts on the abilities.

The Tygre
2011-10-09, 12:59 AM
Owrtho, buddy, you have seriously got to get a new picture hosting site.

Ra_Va
2011-10-09, 01:46 PM
New to making classes so I'm using these contest to get better.

Essentially my current post is a gunslinger with a 'Slider' ability. Still a lot to sort out... including a name

Derjuin
2011-10-18, 07:24 AM
I...am actually surprised I managed to finish this class. Normally I can't finish a class that has a normal-sized set of abilities. Anywho~

If anyone cares to give it a look over (I know it's really really long :smalleek:), here it is:

Primary Part of Class + First 4 signs (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11942183&postcount=6)

The other 8 signs (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11942205&postcount=7)

Andre
2011-10-20, 02:22 PM
I...am actually surprised I managed to finish this class. Normally I can't finish a class that has a normal-sized set of abilities. Anywho~

If anyone cares to give it a look over (I know it's really really long :smalleek:), here it is:

Primary Part of Class + First 4 signs (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11942183&postcount=6)

The other 8 signs (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11942205&postcount=7)

Disclaimer - I haven't finished reading it, but something caught my eye. *chuckle*

Objection! (Ex): Beginning at 9th level, a Zodiac adopting the sign of Libra gains the ability to harry enemy spellcasters with judicious interruptions.

:smallannoyed:

Temotei
2011-10-20, 03:19 PM
Disclaimer - I haven't finished reading it, but something caught my eye. *chuckle*

:smallannoyed:

I'm not sure I understand the annoyed face's significance. Is it because Derjuin didn't include a link (http://objection.mrdictionary.net/index.php)?

Morph Bark
2011-10-20, 04:17 PM
I'm not sure I understand the annoyed face's significance. Is it because Derjuin didn't include a link (http://objection.mrdictionary.net/index.php)?

This link (http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=5310668) works better.

Derjuin
2011-10-20, 10:18 PM
This link (http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=5310668) works better.

:biggrin: This is pretty much what I imagined when designing that feature.

Andre
2011-10-21, 06:18 AM

There's no telling what thought process led to reply to an amusing piece of homebrew with feigned indignation.

I had no idea that site even existed, though.

Ra_Va
2011-10-28, 04:50 PM
O.o wow I'm actually fairly certain I finished my Gun Shiner (figured I'd name it something) class. Hopefully its good enough to at least be used.

Derjuin
2011-10-28, 11:19 PM
So after the 31st it's okay to playtest/repost these classes, right? I've been itching to actually play my class for the past week or so now...:smalltongue:

Temotei
2011-10-29, 01:18 AM
So after the 31st it's okay to playtest/repost these classes, right? I've been itching to actually play my class for the past week or so now...:smalltongue:

Playtesting isn't against the rules, is it? It's often part of the creation process, from what I've seen of other people's works.

I'd wait to repost until after voting is over, however. You'll probably get more coverage that way, what with the voting thread generating interest.

Andre
2011-10-31, 05:07 PM
Well, the Farslayer class is finished. Now let's see how many custom invocations I'll be able to write down before I leave. :smallbiggrin:

Morph Bark
2011-10-31, 07:03 PM
Talk of playtesting eh? Confident and truly interested in one's own creation, key ingredients to making good homebrew right thur.

Of course, not the only one, and here there is competition! :smalltongue:

Andre
2011-11-03, 06:58 AM
News on the subject?

YouLostMe
2011-11-03, 02:14 PM
Not part of the contest ('cause I suck at this stuff), but I noticed that the OP of this thread says the current contest is still Steampunk. I do believe a change is warranted here.

Temotei
2011-11-03, 05:39 PM
Voting thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12154776).

Also, I was late in closing the contest thread by a couple of days. Amechra, Owrtho, Andre, and Dralnu, if you finish your creations by this Sunday (the 6th) at 23:59, I'll allow votes to go through for them. Amechra, you seem to just be missing fluff. Owrtho has a bunch of missing abilities, it looks like, but the opportunity is the same. Andre, you've got some invocations to fill out. Dralnu, I believe the graviton hammer is just missing fluff. Fill these things in and they should be eligible for voting.

In the meantime, everyone can edit their finished creations as well until 23:59 of this Sunday. I'll ask everyone to hold their votes until then.

If anyone's wondering why I already posted the voting thread instead of just waiting until Monday...erm. Well, I didn't think of it until after I posted and I can't delete the thread. :smalltongue:

Amechra
2011-11-03, 07:36 PM
Kinda lost all my notes, which included a lot of actual crunch, so...

I'm dropping out; I will remove my entry at some point.

Andre
2011-11-04, 07:27 AM
Aww, it was completely playable until you turn 11 (greater invocations). :smalltongue:

Saidoro
2011-11-04, 06:51 PM
Huh, not quite sure how the Danmaku was considered finished. Still I expect to have a bit more time this weekend than I have the last week so maybe I can actually finish it in time...

Ziegander
2011-11-04, 07:03 PM
Dang. I don't know how I missed this. I would have liked to enter something myself.

Saidoro
2011-11-06, 05:21 PM
Alright, Danmaku is done. It needs more schematics but it has enough to be playable.

Andre
2011-11-06, 06:57 PM
The Invocations are done, and some of the previously posted ones have also been rearranged while I was at it. Nothing else was touched. :smalltongue:

Owrtho
2011-11-06, 08:02 PM
Unfortunately I'll likely be unable to complete my entry. I've been busy with other stuff lately.

Owrtho

Temotei
2011-11-06, 09:49 PM
Huh, not quite sure how the Danmaku was considered finished. Still I expect to have a bit more time this weekend than I have the last week so maybe I can actually finish it in time...

I just skimmed through the entries, so missing something isn't beyond what I would have expected.

The Invocations are done, and some of the previously posted ones have also been rearranged while I was at it. Nothing else was touched. :smalltongue:

Nice. :smallsmile:

Unfortunately I'll likely be unable to complete my entry. I've been busy with other stuff lately.

Owrtho

Not nice. :smallfrown:

Amechra
2011-11-06, 11:39 PM
My entry is done, by the way; I thought of something simpler than my original idea for the Songs, so I. AM. DONE!

Owrtho
2011-11-07, 12:44 AM
Not nice. :smallfrown:

Well, I still plan to complete my entry eventually. I just wound up quite busy this weekend, and found myself unable to work on it much to my dismay. Hopefully I'll be more readily able to complete an entry in the next contest.

Owrtho

Temotei
2011-11-07, 02:51 PM
Voting is open.

Temotei
2011-11-13, 08:19 PM
From the voting thread:

(DISCLAIMER: If we're barred from voting for our own creation, change it to the spoiled vote)

[QUOTE=Morph Bark;12212899]Tbh, I never asked myself, but always assumed you weren't meant to do so. :smalltongue:

Not like it'd matter in this particular case, but hey.

There's no rule against voting for yourself. While I, personally, wouldn't vote for myself, it's not against the rules. If a number of complaints about it come up, we can take a vote or something and reevaluate that rule. I'll make it more clear in the voting thread that you can, indeed, vote for yourself in the meantime.

Temotei
2011-11-21, 02:38 AM
1st Place: Zodiac by Derjuin
2nd Place: Star-Sworn Knight by Amechra
3rd Place: Farslayer by Andre

Congratulations, all! The next thread should be up in a day or two (it'll be the "Better Than it Sounds/Looks" contest).

GuyFawkes
2011-11-21, 11:22 AM
Congratulations to the winners!

Temotei
2011-11-28, 05:07 PM
Sorry for the delay, everyone! I left early for Thanksgiving and I had much to do over the long weekend...SO MUCH! Thanks for your patience.

Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12291460)'s the thread! :smallsmile:

Pyromancer999
2011-11-28, 05:40 PM
Jw, are we allowed to submit pre-existing classes we've made, if they fit the bill?

Temotei
2011-11-28, 05:54 PM
Jw, are we allowed to submit pre-existing classes we've made, if they fit the bill?

If you've posted it here already, no.

The Witch-King
2011-11-28, 06:00 PM
The challenge says entries are due in by October 31st.

Temotei
2011-11-28, 06:02 PM
The challenge says entries are due in by October 31st.

Is that a problem? Can't get it done by next Halloween?

It's changed to December 31. Thanks. :smallsmile:

Amechra
2011-11-28, 08:10 PM
I'm making a base class that lets you... play as clothing.

Of course, to get an idea of what I'm trying to do, take a look at the Jackie Chan movie called The Tuxedo.

Ajadea
2011-11-29, 01:47 AM
I had to do this. My class, the Wallurgist, is shaping up to be somewhat rather like a defense - oriented warlock. It's also really fun to say.

Derjuin
2011-11-30, 03:18 AM
Humm...I hope I did this right. The Farmer is up for review in its entirety, including HUEG picture! :smalltongue:

Temotei
2011-11-30, 05:23 AM
Humm...I hope I did this right. The Farmer is up for review in its entirety, including HUEG picture! :smalltongue:

I recommend raising the 3d6 to at least 3d8, since the average for 2d10 is actually higher than 3d6 (5.5 + 5.5 = 11, while 3.5 + 3.5 + 3.5 = 10.5). Making it 3d8 raises the average to [4.5 + 4.5 + 4.5 = 13.5].

NineThePuma
2011-11-30, 05:34 AM
How much are we allowed to screw with the mechanics of 3.5 with our classes? Just out of curiosity.

Andre
2011-11-30, 05:43 AM
I'm thinking about a Flagellant class. Whipping yourself till you bleed and doomsaying between one encounter and another may not seem the healthiest thing to do, but it may appeal to certain targets.

I had to do this. My class, the Wallurgist, is shaping up to be somewhat rather like a defense - oriented warlock. It's also really fun to say.

Actually, Wallurgist sounds so great on its own that it will have an hard time being better than it sounds. :smallamused:

Heh.

Temotei
2011-11-30, 05:57 AM
How much are we allowed to screw with the mechanics of 3.5 with our classes? Just out of curiosity.

There's no real defined barrier here. It is homebrew, after all. With that said, keeping the basics of 3.5 (class levels, skills, feats, etc.) is likely a good place to begin. What are you thinking?

NineThePuma
2011-11-30, 06:03 AM
At my most basic concept, the idea is a character who's a "Passive" character. I'm not sure what I want to call him, but he'd be a "game changer" who does weird things like make everyone take 10 on their saving throws and force the person who's trying to force saving throws roll a d20 with a bonus equal to (DC - 10) and use that to try to beat people's "passive saves"

On paper, he's the "Introductory" who serves to (slightly) 4e-ify the game. In practice, I'm not quite sure what I want to do beyond that. I'm thinking some method of Aggro control and be a mostly "mundane" character other than that.

Temotei
2011-11-30, 06:19 AM
At my most basic concept, the idea is a character who's a "Passive" character. I'm not sure what I want to call him, but he'd be a "game changer" who does weird things like make everyone take 10 on their saving throws and force the person who's trying to force saving throws roll a d20 with a bonus equal to (DC - 10) and use that to try to beat people's "passive saves"

On paper, he's the "Introductory" who serves to (slightly) 4e-ify the game. In practice, I'm not quite sure what I want to do beyond that. I'm thinking some method of Aggro control and be a mostly "mundane" character other than that.

That sounds interesting. Go for it. :smalltongue:

Ajadea
2011-12-01, 12:45 AM
Actually, Wallurgist sounds so great on its own that it will have an hard time being better than it sounds. :smallamused:

Auditorially pleasing, sure! But serious... no. Wallurgy sounds like one of those Erfworld schools of magic, except using the more appropriate 'urgy' (working, more or less) suffix instead of 'mancy' which refers specifically to divination.

It also sounds like Wallaby, which may be some of the appeal.

The Witch-King
2011-12-01, 09:20 AM
Sengmeng, allow me to salute you--from a distance--while not wearing anything remotely red.

Redshirt (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12305541&postcount=6) is brilliant! Brilliant and versatile--with a little refluff and swapping out a couple of abilities, it could be an Imperial Stormtrooper as well.

You'd only need to add an "Only Imperial Stormtroopers Are So Precise" lack of targeting ability and a "These Aren't The Droids You're Looking For" clueless ability and you'd be set!

boomwolf
2011-12-02, 01:43 PM
Well...when i first read the concept i facepalmed, then I read the classes so far...

The concept fits the concept...how amusing...

sengmeng
2011-12-02, 03:41 PM
Sengmeng, allow me to salute you--from a distance--while not wearing anything remotely red.

Redshirt is brilliant! Brilliant and versatile--with a little refluff and swapping out a couple of abilities, it could be an Imperial Stormtrooper as well.

You'd only need to add an "Only Imperial Stormtroopers Are So Precise" lack of targeting ability and a "These Aren't The Droids You're Looking For" clueless ability and you'd be set!

I'm glad someone likes it; I was wondering if an autoresurrecting character was going too far.

Could be a "Rory" too, I guess.

Andre
2011-12-02, 06:39 PM
It's like having your personal mini-tarrasque sealed in your chicken-infested commoner dying every 1d4 rounds and inflicting negative status upon enemies on death.

The Witch-King
2011-12-04, 05:24 AM
The Cat Girl Space Pirates (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12320533&postcount=7) are up for review!!