PDA

View Full Version : Bard question, seeking help (3.5)

Yeturs
2011-01-01, 08:26 AM
So, this is a bard i am working on for a game coming up.

he is Bard 4/fighter 1/warchanter 5/seeker of the song 2

race is venerable dragonwrought jungle kobold (with pyroclastic dragon as my dragon type, assuming im reading the feat right)

first off, im going to pump inspire courage as much as possible. i have already seen the handbook on how to do this, so i will get to buying items after i get all my classes down.

my question is, say inspire courage is at +6. can i inspire courage (+6 to attack and damage rolls) combine song dragonfire inspiration (+6d6 sonic) combine song dragonfire inspiration (+6d6 fire)?

or did i base this whole bard on a lie?

and the game is at level 16. so where do i go from here?

heres a link. thanks in advance playground.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=264256

dextercorvia
2011-01-01, 01:57 PM
I seem to recall that you can combine 3 types of music using both abilities, but I'm not sure. However, I don't think you can get fire and sonic DFI. Am I missing something?

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-01-01, 02:02 PM
I'm fairly certain that, even though RAW says bonus damage stack, most people will tell you to pick one type of damage for your 6d6 dragonfire damage.

However, I think you can get by with +6d6 dragonfire inspiration and the normal +6 hit/damage from normal Inspire Courage as they are (slightly) different sources/types?

*Summons Curmudgeon*

HeadlessMermaid
2011-01-01, 02:09 PM
my question is, say inspire courage is at +6. can i inspire courage (+6 to attack and damage rolls) combine song dragonfire inspiration (+6d6 sonic) combine song dragonfire inspiration (+6d6 fire)?
I believe there's no reason why you can't combine them.

Of course, you'll have to activate one effect of Inspire Courage with a standard action, and then activate the second effect with another standard action, at which point you start singing something else. So the first effect lasts for 5 rounds (10 if you take Lingering Song), and the second for as long as you continue singing.

Greenish
2011-01-01, 04:29 PM
By RAW, merely being a Dragon doesn't allow you to change the energy type of your DFI. You'd have to be Half-Dragon, or have the Dragonic Heritage feat. :smallcool:

dextercorvia
2011-01-01, 04:32 PM
By RAW, merely being a Dragon doesn't allow you to change the energy type of your DFI. You'd have to be Half-Dragon, or have the Dragonic Heritage feat. :smallcool:

Or be a Dragon Shaman.

Ernir
2011-01-01, 05:31 PM

Dragons are half-dragons! Other half, also dragon! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0555.html)

(Not RAW, but has to qualify as a GitP houserule.)

Yeturs
2011-01-01, 05:45 PM
Ok, so it looks like I'm missing draconic heritage feat to pick my dragon type, but that's it? Alrighty, I can work with that.

Also, what classes should I go into from here? I can't save spellcasting at this point, so what about dirgesinger? I have always wanted to play one, but Is it a trap?

Also, how gold intensive is this build? Just learned that the game world is low magic low gold :/

Thanks for all the replies, and good luck out there gentlemen!

Greenish
2011-01-01, 06:48 PM
Dragons are half-dragons! Other half, also dragon! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0555.html)A half-dragon would have a dragon as a parent. Most full dragons would, too, but dragonwrought kobolds probably won't.

Though they'd still be descendants of dragonblooded race, so they would arguably have a dragonic heritage, if you go back far enough.

And ignoring the rules, it would be silly if half-dragons counted, but full dragons didn't.

Fouredged Sword
2011-01-01, 07:41 PM
I don't know about looseing out on spellcasting just yet. Consider the bard PRC that grants spellcasting 4-9th level. Now you don't care about the loss of the lower level spells so much.