PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Hunting for an Age chart for several races

Adamantrue
2011-01-01, 10:29 AM
I've started a world-building project, and I intend to include a lot of non-standard races. However, I don't know where to look for an aging chart for several monsters, official or otherwise. Specifically, I need them for these creatures.

Catfolk (I think it is in RotW, but I'm waiting to get that book back)
Goblins, Hobgoblins, and Bugbears
Kobolds, Lizardfolk, and Troglodytes
Minotaurs
As many creatures of the Giant Type as possible

Can people point me in the right direction?

LOTRfan
2011-01-01, 10:40 AM
I thought I saw a list somewhere.... Crystal keep, I think, but they took the website down. Good thing I downloaded the race document.

Catfolk is RotW pg. 106
They didn't publish the Goblin, Bugbear, or Hobgoblin aging chart, but you might want to check out the Bhuka, a goblinoid race in Sandstorm (pg. 43).
Kobold is in RotD pg. 39.
None of ther others ever had theirs published.

I know most of the monstrous races do not have age charts. Sorry. :smallfrown:

Goldfly
2011-01-01, 11:41 AM
To expand on what LOTRfan said: Half-Giants have one on XPH pg. 16, and Half-Ogres have one on RoD pg. 110.

Adamantrue
2011-01-01, 12:37 PM
OK, cool...

I got Catfolk (thanks to a text message to the person that has my copy of RotW). Bhuka seems like a good call for Goblins, and the nature of my Goblinoids means I got those answered. Thanks.

Kobolds hitting Venerable at 120 I can deal with fine. I'm going to have Lizardfolk and Troglodytes follow that framework, much like I did with the Goblinoids.

Half-Giant...if I were to use that as a starting point, and have it parallel Half-Elves, that means I can assign a generic "Giant Race" a Venerable age of 300, which would be fairly consistent with how Half-Elves relate to Elves. Which serves my purposes within the context of my game, though I would likely shorten it considerably for more primitive choices like Ogres, perhaps precisely mirroring the Half-Ogre or Half-Orc.

That leaves Minotaurs. I was thinking of using Goliaths, but for some reason I don't spot an entry in RoS (though I could find a chart for all the other new options). Am I just missing it?

Goldfly
2011-01-01, 12:48 PM
That leaves Minotaurs. I was thinking of using Goliaths, but for some reason I don't spot an entry in RoS (though I could find a chart for all the other new options). Am I just missing it?

No, they didn't include it. However, the Feral Gargun one should work perfectly fine, considering they're pretty much the same thing.

Adamantrue
2011-01-01, 01:03 PM
Might as well. Not really many other options available.

The main reason I needed these was because I intend to parallel a real-world trend. Generally, the more developed a culture, the longer the lifespan. I've decided that I'd like to do the same in my game world, with the longest-living races being the ones that developed earliest. So, the breakdown would look like this (based on Venerable Age):

Elves (350, though it will be modified a bit)
Giant (300, may be lower based on the specific type of Giant used)
Dwarves (250)
Gnome (200)
Reptillian (120, includes Kobolds, Lizardfolk, and Troglodytes)
Halfling (100)
Catfolk (70)
Minotaur (70)
Human (70)
Orc (60)
Goblinoid (49, includes Bugbears, Goblins, and Hobgoblins)

This actually follows my general world concept too, as far as who emerges first. This list look about right to you?

hamishspence
2011-01-01, 05:09 PM
Goblins, Hobgoblins, and Bugbears
Races of Faerun states that all three age at the same rate as half-orcs.

Lizardfolk, and Troglodytes
Races of Faerun also states that lizardfolk age at the same rate as humans.

Serpent Kingdoms gives troglodytes a bit more background, but doesn't seem to give troglodytes an aging table.

LOTRfan
2011-01-01, 05:24 PM
Races of Faerun states that all three age at the same rate as half-orcs.

So, all the Goblinoids except for Bhuka live as long as Half-Orcs, but Bhuka are dropping dead roughly twenty years before the rest reach their maximum age? Weird.... :smallconfused:

hamishspence
2011-01-01, 05:32 PM
Ten years , not twenty. Bhuka are Venerable at 49 and get a maximum of 2d10 years on top of that.

Half-orcs are Venerable at 60 and get a maximum of 2d10 years on top of that.

so- on average, a Bhuka will live around 11 years less than another goblinoid.

Still a big gap- but maybe deserts are less forgiving and shorten their lifespans?

Races of Faerun was written several years before- and is a world-specific book- so it's possible the Sandstorm writer hadn't read that.

LOTRfan
2011-01-01, 05:35 PM
49? I must've read the chart wrong, or at least I have it wrong in my pdf. Still, as you said, 10 years is a big difference.

Yeah, I'd go with the author didn't read the book theory.

hamishspence
2011-01-01, 05:41 PM
Question is- should the Races of Faerun figures be treated as standard for monstrous races, in the absence of later figures contradicting them?

The Aasimar and Tiefling figures were changed in Planar Handbook (and those figures used in Races of Destiny)- so they're Venerable at 90 instead of what humans get.

Should other goblinoids be changed to match the Bhuka- rather than the half-orc tables used?

Curmudgeon
2011-01-01, 06:11 PM
I haven't specifically looked up aging, but generally the books which list other physical attributes will have that information as well. I've come up with height and weight sources for a bunch of D&D races.
The Player's Handbook, page 109, has Table 6-6: Random Height and Weight (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/description.htm#tableRandomHeightandWeight)
for the PH races:
Human
Dwarf
(High) Elf
Gnome
Half-Elf
Half-Orc
Halfling
Other height and weight resources include:

Dragon Compendium, page 7: Table 1-4: Random Height and Weight
Diaboli
Dvati
Lupin
Tibbit

Eberron Campaign Setting, page 27: Random Height and Weight
Changeling
Kalashtar
Shifter
Warforged

Frostburn, page 41: Table 2-4: Random Height and Weight
Neanderthal
Uldra

Magic of Incarnum, page 18: Table 1-4: Random Height and Weight
Azurin
Duskling
Rilkan
Skarn

Player's Guide to Faerūn, page 32: Table 1-13: Random Height and Weight
Human variants: Cali****e, Chondathan, Damaran, Illuskan, Mulan, Rashemi, Tethyrian
Dwarf variants: Gold, Gray, Shield
Elf variants: Drow, Moon, Sun, Wild, Wood
Gnome variants: Deep, Rock
Half-Elf Drow variant
Planetouched: Aasimar, Air Genasi, Earth Genasi, Fire Genasi, Tiefling, Water Genasi

Races of Destiny, page 110: Table 4-5: Random Starting Height and Weight
Aasimar
Doppelganger
Half-Ogre
Mongrelfolk
Sea Kin
Sharakim
Skulk
Tiefling
Underfolk

Races of Faerūn has height and weight for many racial variants:
Arctic Dwarf: page 9
Gray Dwarf: page 15
Shield Dwarf: page 17
Urdunnir Dwarf: page 21
Wild Dwarf: page 23
Aquatic Elf: page 28
Avariel (Winged Elf): page 31
Moon Elf (Silver Elf): page 38
Sun Elf (Gold Elf): page 40
Wild Elf (Green Elf): page 43
Wood Elf (Copper Elf): page 45
Deep Gnome (Svirfneblin): page 49
Forest Gnome: page 53
Rock Gnome: page 55
Common Half-Elf: page 59
Mountain Orc: page 69
Orog (Deep Orc): page 71

Races of Stone, page 86: Table 4-3: Random Starting Height and Weight
Chaos Gnome
Dream Dwarf
Feral Gargun
Stonechild
Whisper Gnome

Races of the Dragon has stats for
Dragonborn: page 11
Spellscale: page 23
Kobolds: page 39

Races of the Wild, page 106: Table 4-5: Random Starting Heights
Catfolk
Raptoran
Gnoll
Centaur
Killoren

Sandstorm, page 44: Table 2-4: Random Height and Weight
Asherati
Bhuka

Shining South, page 17: Table 1-4: Random Height and Weight
Loxo
Thri-Kreen

Stormwrack, page 46: Table 2-4: Random Height and Weight
Aventi
Darfellan
Aquatic Elf
Hadozee

Unapproachable East, page 17: Table 1-4: Random Height and Weight
Star Elf
Gnoll
Hagspawn
Spirit Folk
Taer
Volodni

hamishspence
2011-01-02, 07:13 AM
I'm surprised Underdark hasn't been mentioned.

Has height, weight, and aging for:

Chitine
Deep Imaskari
Drow
Duergar
Gloaming
Grimlock
Kuo-toa
Svirfneblin

Useful note- unlike Races of Faerun, it has female drow as slightly taller and heavier than male drow- whereas Races of Faerun simply says to use the same height and weight as standard D&D elves.

Adamantrue
2011-01-02, 10:45 AM
Hmmm...inconsistencies, from WotC?

I think I'm just going to go with what I listed above, as they are at least a consistent starting point for the approach I'm using. Besides, its seems to have not been enough of a factor in anyone else's games to have come up before, and answered in a clear fashion.

Thanks for the help, though, and the sources that you were able to provide.