PDA

View Full Version : Humans!!!!

MoonCat
2011-01-01, 03:56 PM
At my school there are a few vegetarians. I am not a vegetarian, and try to stand up for them when they are being picked on for their ethical choices. As I am part of a committee that works out the menu whenever the school prepares food for everyone, I make sure that there is always some food for them. Every other person in my committee is a guy who finds it necessary to have cookies for dessert at LUNCH, meat in every dish, and do not do any work at all on luncheon days. They have all began insulting me at every committee meeting, and are constantly making everything I do harder. Am I crazy for being this frustrated? Is there anything I could do?

Before anyone asks, I have contacted the teachers, they say "boys will be boys"

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-01, 04:07 PM
If the teachers aren't doing anything, I think you're kind of stuck.

Though I see no problems with Cookies.

LOTRfan
2011-01-01, 04:08 PM

That is insane. These guys are taking it upon themselves to discriminate a group of people because of their ethics, and the teachers do nothing? You have every right to be frustrated. Humanity sucks.

Gamerlord

IIRC cookies contain animal products like eggs, which I think some vegetarians avoid.

{scrubbed}

Mystic Muse
hey have all began insulting me at every committee meeting, and are constantly making everything I do harder. Am I crazy for being this frustrated? Not at all.
Is there anything I could do?
Since the school won't do anything about it, ask them to at least act like halfway decent human beings?

LOTRfan
2011-01-01, 04:09 PM
IIRC cookies contain animal products, which I think some vegetarians avoid.

{scrubbed the original, scrub the quote}

... Please tell that's at least a little bit of an exaggeration. :smalleek:

Ialdabaoth
2011-01-01, 04:10 PM
At my school there are a few vegetarians. I am not a vegetarian, and try to stand up for them when they are being picked on for their ethical choices. As I am part of a committee that works out the menu whenever the school prepares food for everyone, I make sure that there is always some food for them. Every other person in my committee is a guy who finds it necessary to have cookies for dessert at LUNCH, meat in every dish, and do not do any work at all on luncheon days. They have all began insulting me at every committee meeting, and are constantly making everything I do harder. Am I crazy for being this frustrated? Is there anything I could do?

Contact the teachers again. Explain that this is not simply "boys will be boys"; this is a hostile work environment, and they have a RESPONSIBILITY as your superior to do something about it. Explain that the lesson you are learning from all this is that bigger people will always push around smaller people, that no one cares about viciousness or cruelty, and that power matters more than actually doing a good job. Explain that if they want you to get a different lesson from all this, they will need to live up to their responsibility and show you that the world can, in fact, be something other than a "Lord of the Flies" cess-pool.

Andraste
2011-01-01, 04:10 PM
You aren't crazy, this seems like a perfect reason to be frustrated.

Try talking to them, tell them that you do not appreciate the way they are acting, and ask them to stop. If that doesn't work, which unfortunately is likely, talk to higher up people in the staff, and don't take no for an answer. They're saying that because those people are male they can do whatever they want, and that isn't okay.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-01, 04:13 PM
IIRC cookies contain animal products like eggs, which I think some vegetarians avoid.

Vegans, not Vegentarians.

GuesssWho
2011-01-01, 04:14 PM
It sucks, but it's probably hopeless. Most people just aren't capable of getting it, and those who can do while those who can't teach.

Gamerlord
2011-01-01, 04:15 PM
Vegans, not Vegentarians.

Ah, my bad then.

MoonCat
2011-01-01, 04:18 PM
{scrubbed the original, scrub the quote}
{scrubbed}

That is insane. These guys are taking it upon themselves to discriminate a group of people because of their ethics, and the teachers do nothing? You have every right to be frustrated. Humanity sucks.
This is coming from a school that because I go to hug my parents if they stop by (one teaches a class as a volunteer) says I am immature and have told me so. This immature kid skipped a grade by the agreement of that same school. They are insane.

I am leaving the school at the end of the semester, I have a month more to go. Yet there is problems every day. getting support from you guys is helping, should I keep you updated?

Spiryt
2011-01-01, 04:19 PM
I guess it depends on what "insulting" means, but if it means what I think, those teachers seem... under qualified, to say at least. :smallconfused:

As for the lunches themselves, I don't know how those committees work, but that's why I don't eat at canteens and stuff.

Forum Explorer
2011-01-01, 04:26 PM
I don't know where you are so the system might be different but my mother is a teacher and if there is one thing she hates above all else its having to deal with parents.

So get your parents involved in the situation. They'll put pressure on the teachers that would be more inconveniant to ignore than to just change something. This could backfire by having a teacher just take over menu duties though.

Jimorian
2011-01-01, 04:32 PM
That's a tough one, since you aren't getting back up from the supposed authority figures. Really at this point it's a matter of exercising your own personal authority over the situation. It doesn't sound like these guys are mature enough to figure out how to oppose somebody that just takes control.

As to how to do this.

1) ALWAYS remain calm. They insult you because they enjoy the reaction they get. Don't give them one.

2) When they ignore your suggestion for a vegetarian friendly choice, put it down anyway. If they erase it or vote it down, put it down again. Try to be the one that goes to the adult with the final list so you can put it down before handing it it. If one of them is in charge of turning in the list to somebody and they still leave off your suggestion, follow them and turn in your item right after them. If the adult then questions you, simply and calmly say "If you want a committee that doesn't respect ALL of the students of this school, feel free to ignore my input like they do."

3) Basically just act as if a vegetarian alternative to every event is going to happen as a fact of life. It's not a big deal to make it happen, so their opposition is just petty and rude, so just confidently dismiss their objections out of hand and move on.

4) It's not about the fight, it's about the results. Once vegetarian options become standard procedure, this and any future committees will have a hard time going back to the old way. To them, the issue is that giving in is a blow to their egos more than anything else. So again, always remain calm and just declare that this is how it's going to be. When they start arguing and insulting (and they will), don't get into a debate, ignore them and move on to the next item on the agenda.

5) Always remain calm.

While it's a crappy situation, it's also an opportunity to learn how to be in control of what goes on around you despite the people in the room. You'll need this LOTS of times in life.

Good luck!

MoonCat
2011-01-01, 04:34 PM
You aren't crazy, this seems like a perfect reason to be frustrated.

Try talking to them, tell them that you do not appreciate the way they are acting, and ask them to stop. If that doesn't work, which unfortunately is likely, talk to higher up people in the staff, and don't take no for an answer. They're saying that because those people are male they can do whatever they want, and that isn't okay.
Sadly, I am in a private school with 30 kids only. The headmistress is the one saying all this. She has said three things
1. I didn't see or feel everything correctly
2. That these things (which didn't happen) are my fault.
3These problems (that aren't happening, and are my fault) are being dealt with by the teachers already.

Vegans, not Vegetarians.
There is one vegan as well, who I also make sure gets plenty of good food like everyone else.

I guess it depends on what "insulting" means, but if it means what I think, those teachers seem... under qualified, to say at least. :smallconfused:

As for the lunches themselves, I don't know how those committees work, but that's why I don't eat at canteens and stuff.
The lunches are made in the school by my committee (guess who does the cooking) out of raw materials. The problem is that these guys insist that the menu we plan be as I said above, so we keep on making un-vegetarian friendly items. I can barely ensure there is something for them without being shouted down.

I don't know where you are so the system might be different but my mother is a teacher and if there is one thing she hates above all else its having to deal with parents.

So get your parents involved in the situation. They'll put pressure on the teachers that would be more inconveniant to ignore than to just change something. This could backfire by having a teacher just take over menu duties though.
I have, and they are getting the same reaction, it's my fault, they're doing everything they can, I'm immature and over-sensitive, it didn't happen...

I should add that several other problems have been coming from my school as well, influencing my leaving. My biggest problem is my emotional attachment to that school. I'lll explain in a later post, I'm clicking refresh.

Spiryt
2011-01-01, 04:44 PM
Well, let me put it this way (and say if I'm interpreting something badly):

- You are making food, and other guys are trying to stop you from taking additional effort to prepare something more diverse
- So you're one working, and they are being complete (buzzing) about it
- Just to screw some guys they MUST know and talk to personally in school of 30 kids
- And teachers won't do anything about it

That's seem like very unhealthy atmosphere to me, and, sadly, leaving if one has a choice is probably the best option.

Mr. Moon
2011-01-01, 04:47 PM
If the teachers aren't listening, go to the principal. Explain to the principal the problem that's happening, and that you aren't receiving the help from the teachers that their very job requires them to offer. If he doesn't intervene, then take the next step up: Contact your school district. Speak to whoever will listen to you, and try to get in contact with the super-intendant. Complain incessantly, for it is the squeaky wheel that is greased. Attend PAC meetings to make your case there - it's likely that some of the parents who attend will be parents of vegetarian students, and they should/will be concerned that their children aren't receiving the nutrition they require.

However, I am completely behind cookies at lunch. There's never a bad time for cookies.

Chaos rising
2011-01-01, 04:51 PM
If they don't do any work on luncheon days, then quit. At the last second. Let them get kicked by their laziness. It is my philosophy not to get involved with groups for just this reason. Some people find this empty but it has worked wonders for my psychological health.

MoonCat
2011-01-01, 04:52 PM
That's a tough one, since you aren't getting back up from the supposed authority figures. Really at this point it's a matter of exercising your own personal authority over the situation. It doesn't sound like these guys are mature enough to figure out how to oppose somebody that just takes control.

As to how to do this.

1) ALWAYS remain calm. They insult you because they enjoy the reaction they get. Don't give them one.
I have been staying calm through the day, and usually have my reaction once I get home. The problem is that I have been ineffective in getting healthy (they are also against anything I call healthy) food through despite my lack of visible reaction.

2) When they ignore your suggestion for a vegetarian friendly choice, put it down anyway. If they erase it or vote it down, put it down again. Try to be the one that goes to the adult with the final list so you can put it down before handing it it. If one of them is in charge of turning in the list to somebody and they still leave off your suggestion, follow them and turn in your item right after them. If the adult then questions you, simply and calmly say "If you want a committee that doesn't respect ALL of the students of this school, feel free to ignore my input like they do."
The system is to announce what is to be eaten in front of the school the next day, and while I am the announcer, and do get vegetarian food through they like to add things while I'm talking. I get the food through, just end up with teasing and was once given an anonymous punch in the back. Everything is pretty much decided, I just need reassurance that I'm not going in all the wrong directions with this. This also covers your next two points I think.

5) Always remain calm.
Definitely, as I said before.

While it's a crappy situation, it's also an opportunity to learn how to be in control of what goes on around you despite the people in the room. You'll need this LOTS of times in life.
I have learned a lot, no doubt about that. I just wish learning wasn't so hard :smallsmile:

Good luck!
Thank you

Fiery Diamond
2011-01-01, 05:00 PM
Sadly, I am in a private school with 30 kids only. The headmistress is the one saying all this. She has said three things
3These problems (that aren't happening, and are my fault) are being dealt with by the teachers already.

There is one vegan as well, who I also make sure gets plenty of good food like everyone else.

The lunches are made in the school by my committee (guess who does the cooking) out of raw materials. The problem is that these guys insist that the menu we plan be as I said above, so we keep on making un-vegetarian friendly items. I can barely ensure there is something for them without being shouted down.

I have, and they are getting the same reaction, it's my fault, they're doing everything they can, I'm immature and over-sensitive, it didn't happen...

I should add that several other problems have been coming from my school as well, influencing my leaving. My biggest problem is my emotional attachment to that school. I'lll explain in a later post, I'm clicking refresh.

I can see why you're leaving the school. The headmistress doesn't deserve any of your money. In fact, the headmistress doesn't deserve ANY money. I think that someone more qualified who doesn't have a job (there are plenty of people like that in these economic times in this world) deserves to swap places with her. Her behavior is utterly and completely inexcusable.

*imagines the headmistress being compared to the principal in the movie Matilda*

MoonCat
2011-01-01, 05:05 PM
If the teachers aren't listening, go to the principal. Explain to the principal the problem that's happening, and that you aren't receiving the help from the teachers that their very job requires them to offer. If he doesn't intervene, then take the next step up: Contact your school district. Speak to whoever will listen to you, and try to get in contact with the super-intendant. Complain incessantly, for it is the squeaky wheel that is greased. Attend PAC meetings to make your case there - it's likely that some of the parents who attend will be parents of vegetarian students, and they should/will be concerned that their children aren't receiving the nutrition they require.

However, I am completely behind cookies at lunch. There's never a bad time for cookies.
The headmistress (principal) is the one I already have been talking to this whole time. As there are incidents every day I do badger the teachers. This is why I have been labeled as whiny, an interrupter, and oversensitive. I am in a private school and have no school district or superintendent. I have attended a staff meeting with another student about an entire bully situation, where the teachers said that they would pay attention to any cases of "student misbehavior". Talking has had very little help.
Oh, and I totally believe cookies are an important treat, but these people were suggesting 8 kids bring 24 large cookies every luncheon. That is a bit too much for 30 kids.

thubby
2011-01-01, 05:14 PM
will your parents go to bat for you? if they will (and they should) they can probably make something happen.
is it a religious school? those are controlled by the church, write to the priest/bishop/whoever.

Mr. Moon
2011-01-01, 05:18 PM
Hmm. Well, in this case, your best bet is to go to the parents. They are, after all, the ones paying through their noses for their children to go to some fancy school and not receive the proper nutrition they need. If you want this problem to be solved, you need to get them to care.

Jimorian
2011-01-01, 05:25 PM
OK, it sounds like you're doing all the things you're supposed to be doing. Just sucks that nobody at that school is acting with the kind of authority and responsibility they should be. Best at this point to move on to something bigger and better. :smallsmile:

Good for you for sticking up for the other students!

MoonCat
2011-01-01, 05:27 PM
I can see why you're leaving the school. The headmistress doesn't deserve any of your money. In fact, the headmistress doesn't deserve ANY money. I think that someone more qualified who doesn't have a job (there are plenty of people like that in these economic times in this world) deserves to swap places with her. Her behavior is utterly and completely inexcusable.

*imagines the headmistress being compared to the principal in the movie Matilda*

She is an evil little ! in my opinion. This school has not had the same principal for more than a year in its whole history, due to them being worn out and through after a year. Last year we had a brilliant and wonderful headmistress who had said she was returning the next year. At the beginning of the year we had a whole school camp-out where she announced she was retiring and being replaced by !. Ever since, the year has gone steadily downhill.:smallfrown:

will your parents go to bat for you? if they will (and they should) they can probably make something happen.
is it a religious school? those are controlled by the church, write to the priest/bishop/whoever.
My parents are helping me as much as they can in every way, and have been speaking to the teachers, as I said before. I am not in a religious school though, the highest up I can go is where I already am.

Currently my biggest challenge is surviving until the semester ends, and adapting to my new school after leaving one that was dearly beloved before the headmistress switch.

Kislath
2011-01-01, 05:30 PM
SUE, SUE, SUE!!!!!
( or at least threaten to )

The risk of Mad Cow is more than sufficient to warrant a "willfull and wanton disregard" type of basis for a majorleague lawsuit, and since it's a small private school dependent upon the tuition paid by parents who want their kids to be safe, the very threat of a suit will make your headmistress change her tune INSTANTLY.
Not all vegetarians are simple nutcases. They just don't want to die the most horrible death imaginable.

Dr.Epic
2011-01-01, 05:33 PM
Try and get all the vegetarians to sign some sort of petition showing how many there are. If a good chunk of the school doesn't eat meat then you have a good point, but if there are very little, maybe everyone on the committee is right for not focusing too much on this tiny minority when they are trying to satisfy the vast majority (the needs of the many and what not).

Barbin
2011-01-01, 05:38 PM
Damn, sorry, but the school you go to seems full of young adults and actual adults acting like spoiled brats.

Helping time:In a different circumstance, this already worked with me back in primairy school: It was my birthday, and I brought tofu brownies for the class.
At first they were reluctant, but they tried, and in the end a large majority of the class loved it !

My advice to you is bring small samples of what you want on the menu, and have the committee try them. Hope full they will try it, and like it !

Good luck on your heroic quest !

EDIT : I can find the tofu brownies recipe, it's better than cookies !

MoonCat
2011-01-01, 05:39 PM
SUE, SUE, SUE!!!!!
( or at least threaten to )

The risk of Mad Cow is more than sufficient to warrant a "willfull and wanton disregard" type of basis for a majorleague lawsuit, and since it's a small private school dependent upon the tuition paid by parents who want their kids to be safe, the very threat of a suit will make your headmistress change her tune INSTANTLY.
Not all vegetarians are simple nutcases. They just don't want to die the most horrible death imaginable.
Hee:smallsmile: Just checked, my parents haven't threatened to sue, and my mother (who is hopping mad) says that if she was in the mood to sue, she would DO it. Since I am in a small town, and my school has not got money for anything extra, I would end up with my school dissolved and all of my friends slightly annoyed with me. (Read extremely angry)

Damn, sorry, but the school you go to seems full of young adults and actual adults acting like spoiled brats.

Helping time:In a different circumstance, this already worked with me back in primary school: It was my birthday, and I brought tofu brownies for the class.
At first they were reluctant, but they tried, and in the end a large majority of the class loved it !

My advice to you is bring small samples of what you want on the menu, and have the committee try them. Hope full they will try it, and like it !

Good luck on your heroic quest !
My school is filled with all the people who couldn't handle being in a public school, who although are nice people (most) have a vast array of mental disorders. This includes me, although I went to my school for academic reasons. I have several times brought in delicious food that is even vegan, and my friends love it. But the people who are doing this refuse to even taste it. I get in healthy and vegan/vegetarian food, but when I ask for help to not be shouted down the first several times from the teachers, they act like it is my fault. Thank you for the luck!

CoffeeIncluded
2011-01-01, 05:41 PM
Perhaps you could threaten legal action? I don't think the school would want to risk it.

Then again, if they do call your bluff, then you're running out of options, and none of the options left are good ones...

I'm really sorry about this, by the way.

Forum Explorer
2011-01-01, 05:42 PM
yeah at this point there isn't much more you can do besides trying to get the vegetarians and their parents to also help you out.

Lateral
2011-01-01, 05:53 PM
Am I a bad person for, after seeing this thread's name and reading the OP, immediately thinking of "I'm a humanitarian"?

Anyway. I'm a vegetarian, and although I'm fortunate to go to a school with very few jackasses and lunches so crappy that nobody eats them anyway, I think I'd be pretty pissed if I were in a similar situation. I'm just gonna say that these guys are huge jerks. If you want to make things better, though, starting fires is always a good place to start.

...Sorry, force of habit. Don't start any fires. Starting fires is inappropriate in this situation. If you can't get the lunch service to offer a vegetarian option, then you could always try running a veggie option yourself. Get a group of people who sympathize to help. A salad bar is always a good start.

THAC0
2011-01-01, 06:05 PM
I think I need some clarification on this luncheon thing before offering any suggestions/advice.

Is this a "special occasion" thing? Or is it an every day lunch service (cafeteria) type thing? If it is "special occasion," then is it a potluck, where people bring food in? Or something else?

MoonCat
2011-01-01, 06:15 PM
To CoffeeIncluded, I had an earlier post about legal action, I hope it makes sense
To Forum Explorer (and everyone who has given me advice for the vegetarians), I have got the vegetarian food thing down for the other kids, I can stop getting your kind and helpful advice. That was a demonstration of a typical thing in my school, my being attacked for attempting to stand up for others. I am also getting short jokes, exclusion, and teachers always blaming me.
To Lateral, the same about vegetarians. These people are huge jerks, I agree, but I can deal with jerks. What is bugging me is that the teachers are fully supportive. For instance, last day before winter break, a case where one told me "I'll give you a marble if you go away" When I reported to a teacher she said "I'll talk to him when we get back, I don't want to ruin the festivities."

To THACO, once every month we hold a luncheon planned by the luncheon committee. The committee starts with figuring out the menu, then we tell each student to bring a certain ingredient. On the luncheon day all the raw materials are assembled and cooked by us and a helping parent.

I hope this covers all the latest posts, and thanks again for the reassurance I'm not going crazy.

pendell
2011-01-01, 06:38 PM
Hmm ...

First of all, congratulations! A wise man once said

In the country of the blind the one-eyed man is in for a hell of a rough ride

You are getting some firsthand experience with that. Congratulations! If you can learn to handle this, it will stand you well with similar challenges later in life.

My suggestion is to do one thing: Be persistent. Don't be rude. Don't get angry. But don't give in. Simply propose a vegetarian or vegan option every chance you get in the same polite way. Never be rude, never be angry, but never back down and never give in. It worked for Gandhi, it worked for Martin Luther King, it MAY work for you.

Or it may not. 30 days is not much time for persistence to work. But in the time given to you, do what you can.

You may not win this battle. But A) if you stand up for yourself , people may remember that and it may make them more disposed to vegetarianism in the future and B) you will gain experience for future battles.

You might also try to sit down and *talk* to the people involved to find out *why* they are opposed. If you turn this into a battle of wills, anyone with a shred of Alpha in them will say no on general principles, refusing to submit to another's dominance. Talk to them, find out why they want what they want, propose alternatives and compromises ... work at it well enough, meet them halfway, they can start coming back and meeting you as well.

People are always much more willing to endorse their own ideas than to act on another's. The idea is to, by talking to them, get them to start *thinking* about it, rather than a straight tug-of-war. Get them out of the 'I-win, you-lose' mindset, and try to talk them round till you're working towards a common goal. You won't get everything you want this way, but it's better than nothing.

I would not recommend taking legal action against the school. Primarily because it is a very expensive process which, if you win, will alienate several students and faculty which can be problematic in a small town.

The legal system is also something that takes months or years to work through the court system. And it's expensive. If you don't have $50000 or a friendly neighborhood Friends of Veggies willing to bankroll your operation, you could well bankrupt yourself and your family. And victory, when it occurs, will be months or years past the 30 days when you leave the school.

I don't know if you've noticed it yet, but changing what people put in their mouths -- their little pleasures -- is one of the hardest things to change. Neither the tobacco industry nor the liquor industry nor sugary sweet industries are in any danger of going out of business. And people find a way to satisfy their appetites. When students get old enough, they bail out of the school nutrition altogether to eat at local fast food places which are far more junky.

So my advice is to remain firm in your convictions, to fight fairly, determined never to give in. The important thing is to earn the respect of your adversaries, which makes them more likely to listen to you.

This is probably not a fight you can achieve unconditional victory in, not in the little time you have left. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't fight. It just means that this is a character defining moment, when you tackle a task you know is near-impossible but attack it anyway, determined to 'do all you can and, after doing all you can, to stand'. And who knows? You just might win! You never know until you try.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

MoonCat
2011-01-01, 07:13 PM
Thank you Brian P,
And that was a concise comparison. I am learning important things from this, as others have also said. I agree that to argue or react will only dig myself deeper. I do have some clout that I am the head of the committee, so I can achieve a small things for my classmates a bit better. 30 day will get by, and I do not think anything world shattering will occur before I make it. My goal is not to convert people to vegetarianism, but to make it safe for those who are. I cannot change these incredibly irresponsible teachers, and anyone who has had enough will follow me and leave. I can't really do anything besides that. I do not intend to take legal action, for those reasons you listed. As far as I can see, everyone here is in agreement with everyone else, and I feel reassured that what was planned is considered a good idea world-wide. And thank you for the thought I might win.

pendell
2011-01-01, 07:42 PM
Thank you Brian P,
And thank you for the thought I might win.

It's not impossible. Difficult, but what's the fun in trying something easy?

I want to leave you with a thought.

Do you know what a 'leader' is?

A leader goes in front.

A leader sets the example.

A leader is a person who boldly charts a course and walks determinedly in a given direction, and most people, who are naturally followers, gravitate in their wake. They assume the person who is confident and certain of themselves know what they are doing.

You're getting a lesson in leadership, having a vision and setting out to achieve it.

The problem with being a leader ... is that there's no human above you who can give you wisdom. No one else shares your vision, because you're the one who has it.

You're the first.

Being first is hardest, because there's no one to lean on, no one to look up to. You've got to be the one to go in front.

In time, if you chart your course boldly enough, you may gather fellow travelers to you who share your ideas. But the starting bit is always the hardest, because you have to go in front alone. Ramming your head against a world which doesn't think the way you do. But if you keep it up long enough, eventually the world will bend to you. Just a little.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

MoonCat
2011-01-01, 07:47 PM
Thank you, but did you know

the first followers are what turns a lone nut into a leader
So I'm thanking everyone who has taken the time to help me out.

Crow
2011-01-01, 09:06 PM
Unless the meal consists of nothing but meat and cookies, the vegetarians will be fine. Being vegetarian is a personal choice. *They* are choosing to not eat certain types of food. It's not being forced upon them. They can also choose to bring their own lunch, or just not eat the cookies and meat.

If I suddenly decided to stop eating chicken, I wouldn't expect a cafeteria to make a special meal for me on fried chicken day.

Probably, the people in your commitee subscribe to the school of "they can just eat the veggies and potato", rather than the school of "we need to make special vegetarian meals".

But you seem dedicated to this, so good luck. Don't just give in if it's something you believe in.

Lateral
2011-01-01, 09:09 PM
The point here, I think, was that on many days, there was nothing that didn't have meat in it (except cookies, which are not a valid meal in and of themselves), and that she was being made fun of for trying to get something for the vegetarians to eat, and that the teachers didn't give a crap about it.

Crow
2011-01-01, 09:13 PM
What the hell are they serving? Stews? I've never seen a school meal that didn't have some sides that even vegans could eat.

Maybe she could just try to get them to serve some sides of veggies or corn with their meat porridge or whatever they're serving. No need to mention that it's for the vegetarians.

Ytaker
2011-01-01, 09:37 PM
You could ask to get one of the vegetarians on the commitee, see if anyone wants to go. That would divide the rage slightly, off of you. That would be a simple move that would not require any effort by the teacher and would strengthen your position.

You're completely doing the right thing. It's kind and caring.

MoonCat
2011-01-01, 10:08 PM
It never actually went through, but every time we planned a luncheon there would be a "we should have a giant steak barbecue with cake afterwards" or some variation. And Lateral is correct, I can ensure that the vegetarians have something to eat, but it usually increases my personal workload, raging at me from the others, and no help from the teachers. Ytaker, we were given a choice at the beginning of the year and aren't supposed to change it. Also with the headmistress trying to incriminate me for everything (I complained a bit too loudly, and I am now a "trouble-maker") I do, I think she wouldn't be very accommodating to my request. Thank you, though.

Marthinwurer
2011-01-01, 10:27 PM
Good job at taking a stand for what you believe in. It is something that I need to do more of myself. I hope for you that things turn out in your favor.

MoonCat
2011-01-01, 10:46 PM
Thank you Marthinwuer, I encourage you do to so. I think that I will get through the month and then go to a different school without too much trouble. I think my biggest problem will be all my feelings of loss, betrayal (no one stood up for me when I was harassed) and anger when I switch. Adjusting to a new school mid-year will have it's difficulties as well, mainly because I'll still be remembering the school that I really loved to be at every day before things went crazy.

BarbarianNina
2011-01-01, 10:57 PM
I'm a vegetarian. Some people have been kind and accommodating about that. Others have been jerks. I kind of went through hell for that and related beliefs as a kid. Anyway, what I'm getting at is that you're doing a kind and generous thing, and someone out there may turn out less misanthropic than I am because of it.

In regards to your general situation-- hang in there. It sounds like your peers are being jerks and your teachers aren't willing to stand up for you, and, well, I agree the best thing to do at this point is to leave. But, you know, not ALL humans are awful. And even if your situation stinks, at least you know you're contributing to the lack of awfulness in humanity. :) I'd say keep doing what you're doing, because you're doing a good thing, and count down the days until you get to go somewhere better.

MoonCat
2011-01-01, 11:11 PM
i'm glad the kids I stand up for don't have such a horrible hell to go through, that makes me feel better over that area. I would be counting down, except I really do not like the place I'm going to go to, and am being haunted by how my school was so wonderful before all this mess. But yeah, I'm doing what everyone is telling me, and feel better than I did when I started this thread.

On a TOTALLY unrelated note, isn't it weird how crushing depression can hit you a of a sudden?

Ytaker
2011-01-01, 11:18 PM
Ah, pity. Your title was humans. I do find it annoying that many humans prefer ignorance to painful truth. Your headmistress doesn't care when her students are actively abusive and cruel, and when you say so you are simply labelled a trouble maker for speaking out. You face condemnation for revealing other's misdeeds.

Truth just doesn't work well as a tool to change people's behaviour.

Serpentine
2011-01-02, 12:53 AM
yeah at this point there isn't much more you can do besides trying to get the vegetarians and their parents to also help you out.That was pretty much my suggestion. Encourage the vegetarians - the ultimate victims of this absurdity - to speak up. When there's a luncheon without any vegetarian option, encourage them to write letters to the headmistress and the council, get their parents involved, and so on. Encourage them to put in suggestions of their own. That sort of thing.

Out of curiosity, your school wouldn't happen to be a Waldorf School or something like that, would it? The small size and "luncheon" thing suggests so, but the lack of tolerance for vegetarianism suggests not.

MoonCat
2011-01-02, 01:24 AM
No, my school has certain ideas that are similar, or taken from Waldorf, but is pretty different otherwise. We also have a higher minimum age, and but focus on some things Waldorf is opposed to, such as computers. So not really similar, just a similar goal.

Mando Knight
2011-01-02, 02:16 AM
Ah, I've seen this problem at my old high school. The old "private school favoritism blues." Had a different flavor when I last tasted it, but that's just the seasoning.

From what I see, you've got a few options. My favorite course of action would be to take (roughly) the following steps:

1.) Investigate whether the problem you see is a problem at all. In that small a school, do you actually have any vegetarians? Is it a statistically significant number (that is, more than just a couple)? Do they bring their own lunches regularly? Do they want to have the school lunch, but don't because of their dietary preferences?

2.) If it is an actual issue, get together with the vegetarians and discuss it with them, if they'd like a change to the menu for their sake (no, not the animals' sake. Don't drag PETA into this.). Then file a petition detailing the changes you and they agree on, with signatures from the involved party.

3.) If the opposition party rejects the petition outright (not with legitimate debate, but dismisses it on principle rather than actually considering it), take it up with the advising teacher.

4.) If the teacher continues to dismiss the problem, take it up with the headmistress. If the headmistress dismisses it, then threaten/take legal action. The more documentation you have of the process, the better chance you'll get.

Finally, document everything. Live. In pen if you're writing. Engineering a public confession (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EngineeredPublicConfession) is a possible tactic if you're trying to prove that you're being harassed.

Morph Bark
2011-01-02, 07:02 AM
How many of the students are vegetarian exactly? With a group of 30 total, a handful of them would be a significant amount of the student population, which shouldn't be ignored.

I don't suppose convincing some of the vegetarians to join the food-deciding committee will help any?

grimbold
2011-01-02, 07:07 AM
explain the issue to the teachers but use strong words like "Discrimination" and "Oppression". When asking for help be sure to use VERY strong words to explain the vegetarian plight.

Crow
2011-01-02, 08:25 AM
explain the issue to the teachers but use strong words like "Discrimination" and "Oppression". When asking for help be sure to use VERY strong words to explain the vegetarian plight.

Don't do this. It gives the impression that you're threatening them, and is likely to put them on the defensive.

It also makes it seem like typical youth overreaction. Like kids who call their school staff "fascist" (without knowing the meaning of the word, no less!).

Amiel
2011-01-02, 08:46 AM
Vegetarians unfortunately cop a lot of flak from the willfully ignorant (of which jerks form a large majority). Your committee peers (I use this term loosely since you are obviously more awesome than they are) seem to determined to invent new meanings for jerk.

Your teachers aren't much better; do the guys form a clique that your teachers are afraid to confront? Or might there be interference from the PTA or the parents themselves?
The teachers at my school were pretty poor at getting students to change their behaviour, even if said behaviour leaned towards the violent.

Is there any chance of kicking those guys out of the committee (and never have them return ever again)?

You could have a chat with your parents about it and possibly have your parents discuss the issue with the teachers? The teachers should listen to your parents (and through them, listen to you), if your parents say "jump", the teacher should ask "how high".

Good luck!

pendell
2011-01-02, 09:42 AM
Actually, some other people brought up a very good point.

You're not a vegetarian yourself, right?

Are there any actual vegetarians that are affected by this? I'm sure you can see the teacher's position: If there aren't any people who actually have this problem, you're asking them to put out time, effort, and expense to solve a non-problem.

Teachers don't like solving non-problems. They have enough real ones.

So I think there's a good idea here: Get the actual vegetarians to speak out. It's easier to get action when you see someone who's actually being hurt. That's why every ad campaign for an overseas charity has a picture of a starving child. People respond to what they see.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Cobra_Ikari
2011-01-02, 10:19 AM
Humans are delicious and nutritious. Taste just like chicken. >.>

You should put them on your menu! =3

Morph Bark
2011-01-02, 10:20 AM
Humans are delicious and nutritious. Taste just like chicken. >.>

Actually, humans taste like pork. Don't ask.

Johel
2011-01-02, 01:12 PM

Now, that's really disturbing... :smalleek:

@MoonCat :
You can also campaign to make sure other people get inside the committee. They are elected, right ?

I'll add you are damn lucky to have that kind of power as a student.
Here, "student committees" (conseils des délégués) are only consultative, without any actual power.
They are kept far away from any actual practical decisions, have no budget unless they raise the money themselves.
Since they got no power and no ressources anyway, people usually just handwave the election as a "whoever volunteers got the job".
I even experienced cases where the teachers had to "designate a volunteer" because nobody wanted to represent their class.

Ytaker
2011-01-02, 02:05 PM

http://web.archive.org/web/20080202122009/http://food.oregonstate.edu/ref/culture/taboo_allen.html

" "I took a big swallow of wine, a helping of rice, and thoughtfully ate half the steak. And as I ate, I knew with increasing certainty what it was like. It was like good, fully developed veal, not young, but not yet beef. It was very definitely like that, and it was not like any other meat I had ever tasted. It was so nearly like good, fully developed veal that I think no person with a palate of ordinary, normal sensitiveness could distinguish it from veal.

It was mild, good meat with no other sharply defined or highly characteristic taste such as for instance, goat, high game, and pork have. The steak was slightly tougher than prime veal, a little stringy, but not too tough or stringy to be agreeably edible. The roast, from which I cut and ate a central slice, was tender, and in color, texture, smell as well as taste, strengthened my certainty that of all the meats we habitually know, veal is the one meat to which this meat is accurately comparable.

As for any other special taste or odor of a sort which would be surprising and make a person who had tasted it not knowing exclaim, 'What is this?' it had absolutely none. And as for the 'long pig' legend, repeated in a thousand stories and recopied in a hundred books, it was totally, completely false.

Obtained from a car accident victim.

Trog
2011-01-02, 02:50 PM
Look...

It's all well and good you are trying to encourage healthier choices at your school - it's a noble cause. Realize though that there are a lot of practical compromises which must be made in paying for said meals. Jamie Oliver had a whole show on trying to get a school to do just this and, frankly, it's a lot of hard work that requires a lot more looking into rules and regulations and available suppliers and of course hard work than merely taking a moral stand - no matter how noble. The very hardest thing for him in those shows was getting people to listen to him. This is your same challenge then. And to aid your fight I feel the need to point out the obvious.

Running to the teacher when someone says for you to go away is, as far as the goal of getting them to listen to you goes, the equivalent of crying wolf. You are coming to them with, honestly, your tiny social bruise (say, the marble go away incident, for a prime example) and demanding action. Do that enough times and no matter what you come to them for you will be ignored. From your description you are seen as being "whiny, an interrupter and oversensitive" (your own words there) You said "there are incidents every day where you badger the teachers."

In short you're your own worst enemy for getting your voice heard on this issue. The teachers are not jerks for learning over time that you will complain to them a lot about a variety of things from what you have said... and for learning to tune you out. Stop and listen to the sound of your own breathing for a second. That sound happens all the time only a few inches from your ears... but because it is constant you tune it out. If you want to do better at fighting for better meals you need to do better at sticking up for yourself on your own and not making these small and distracting issues mask an important point. Stick up for yourself in non-food related issues more without running to an authority figure. One important lesson everyone needs to learn (an no one can teach you) is how to stick up for yourself... and not just on food issues. There won't always be a teacher to run to in later life. Anyhow, there's the water *points to water* it's up to you to drink sooner or later.

Talk to your parents about brown bagging your lunch so you have the healthy food you need. Encourage your fellow students to do the same if they find the menu problematic. Eat the healthy food in front of them every day and lead by example. Offer to help make your own lunches to take so its less of a burden on your parents to switch.

The Succubus
2011-01-02, 03:04 PM
Well, one solution that springs to mind is this:

* Make a record of these meetings and your repeated attempts to add a vegetarian option.

* When you approach your headmistress and ask for her opinion, if she says no, or starts mocking you, ask her to put her objections in writing or ask her to agreee to have the interview recorded on tape.

* Having done this and still not having any luck, offer to go to your local papers with the recordings. A plucky student standing up for the rights of a particular group of people against a discriminating figurehead makes a *fantastic* story.

With luck you should start getting results by stage 2 - the threat of journalistic scrutiny should encourage open-mindedness quicker than you can say "Mmmmmm....veggies!"

MoonCat
2011-01-02, 04:03 PM
With all the people who've asked, 1/6th of the school is vegetarian, with several other kids who aren't, but either need or prefer to have something to eat that isn't starch. I am not vegetarian. On luncheon days we are not allowed to bring our own lunch. This is not a school lunch, this is a once-a-month all-school celebration. We do not have a school lunch served to us. For anyone who was late, I have already spoken to the headmistress.

Crow and grimbold, they already appear to be treating me like a walking bomb and are on defensive. But yes, in the current situation, I can't afford to look like I'm overreacting to anything, even if I'm not.

Vegetarians unfortunately cop a lot of flak from the willfully ignorant (of which jerks form a large majority). Your committee peers (I use this term loosely since you are obviously more awesome than they are) seem to determined to invent new meanings for jerk.

Your teachers aren't much better; do the guys form a clique that your teachers are afraid to confront? Or might there be interference from the PTA or the parents themselves?
The teachers hate to enact any discipline on kids they are worried their parents would pull them out if they do so. Doubly if they have a relative in the school at the same time. My parents were huge supporters of the school last year and at the beginning of the year, so the teachers don't worry that I'd be pulled out. Thus, they feel safe to be nasty to me.

The teachers at my school were pretty poor at getting students to change their behavior, even if said behavior leaned towards the violent.

Is there any chance of kicking those guys out of the committee (and never have them return ever again)?
I'm not in control of who is in the committee, we were given them at the beginning of the year and can't really change them. My job as head is just to write down the menu and announce it to the school after leading the meeting (which they like to spend throwing mini pumpkins and legos at each-other.)

You could have a chat with your parents about it and possibly have your parents discuss the issue with the teachers? The teachers should listen to your parents (and through them, listen to you), if your parents say "jump", the teacher should ask "how high".

Good luck!
Since I do get vegan and vegetarian items on the menu, it's the attacks of shouting and teasing I get from it that my parents have discussed with the teachers. They are saying the same things I listed earlier. It's my fault, they're already dealing with it, and it never happened( not very consistent, are they?).

pendell, actual vegetarians aren't affected by this because I make sure that there is always something for them to eat. The problem is I do this at the expense of my emotional safety, because I get bullied for it.

Cobra Ikari and Morph Bark, no thank you, I do not like humans :smallsmile:

Johel, we aren't elected, at the start of the year we say what committee we'd like to go to, and they try to fit you in. If they can't, you go to your second choice. I'm not sure how these guys got here, except that they thought they'd get to say what they wanted to eat and have it fall in front of them. Sorry about your student committees, ours hold a huge amount of power, and are neatly balanced with the teachers being sensible :smalltongue:

Trog, I think you are misunderstanding the situation slightly. Would you like clarification? I think there may have been a few points I must have not made entirely clear.

Thank you for the good advice MasamuneSSX

Trog
2011-01-02, 04:21 PM
Trog, I think you are misunderstanding the situation slightly. Would you like clarification? I think there may have been a few points I must have not made entirely clear.
I don't believe so, no. Feel free to point out what I've missed, though.

I understand it sucks to have to deal with people that don't share your opinions. Likely someone who wants cookies for every meal disagrees with your opinions and thinks it sucks to deal with you just the converse might be true. *shrug* People disagree. Though most people agree that having healthy choices to eat at school would be nice... people disagree with what those choices are, however.

While I'm certainly not a vegetarian I have most certainly made my fair share of vegetarian meals and see the benefit of going meatless now and again. Others such as yourself, see that going meatless all the time is the way to go. Everyone has to compromise a few things in their life and the rest of the world not being vegetarian 100% of the time is likely one you will have to make sooner or later. It doesn't make you or I wrong... we just disagree on a matter of lifestyle choice is all. No biggie. Fighting for a more healthy compromise and one that takes at least a little of your own lifestyle choices in mind is certainly admirable though and certainly can be done if done right.

But like I said if you want your voice heard make the times that you speak count, stand up for yourself and what you believe in in all aspects of your life but accept that while not everyone will see things the way you do they can at least learn to respect your own choices you make for yourself.

I still stand by the brown bagging/lead by example suggestion.

pendell
2011-01-02, 04:49 PM
Since I do get vegan and vegetarian items on the menu, it's the attacks of shouting and teasing I get from it that my parents have discussed with the teachers. They are saying the same things I listed earlier. It's my fault, they're already dealing with it, and it never happened( not very consistent, are they?).

Unfortunately, this is the price of accomplishment. As a rule, The people who have enemies are people who try to get something done. Even if it's something obviously mom-and-apple-pie like stopping smoking or eating more vegetables, people don't like being forced to change their habits.

You think this is bad, just wait until you try campaigning for something really controversial later in life like rights for group X or end mis-treatment of Y or Ban Z or some other thing where the status quo is supported by governments who have no scruples -- absolutely none -- about maintaining it.

Even in my country, where things are generally better, getting things done means -- depending on just who you offend -- being unfairly caricatured, being mocked in talk shows, being denied jobs, winding up on security watch lists, seeing youtube movies or even full hollywood productions which A) take your ideas and twist them into the most unrecognizable Bond Villain shape possible B) slander yourself, your family , your friends C) find out your deepest, darkest secrets, anything that can put you in an unflattering light, and run it on cable news 24/7 for weeks. Afterwards, the gossip rags continue to talk about alleged crimes for years afterwards.

In some places run by Generalissimo Bad Gas, getting things done means mobs in the night who burn down your house while the police and firefighters stand by doing nothing. And yes, it gets worse.

It's a choice, you see, between being popular and being right. The way to be popular is to find out which way the wind is blowing and trim your sails so that you exactly match whatever the conventional wisdom of the day is. To support the Party when the Party is in power, then switch over to fad B when fad B is the going thing, then drop it and flip off to fad C when that is the going thing. It's easy if you don't mind being a jellyfish.

Doing this means praise, adulation, and friendship from all the right people. I saw this in some previous jobs that there is nothing quite so career-enhancing in an analysis job as to tell your boss exactly what he wants to hear. It doesn't even matter if you're wrong , because the boss can't admit that you are wrong without also admitting that he himself is wrong, and so he protects both of you. And so the two of you live well while the inconvenient truth-tellers get ostracized and pushed out to hell jobs even when they're right.

But what kind of way is that for a human to live ?

This is why the ancients said things like 'woe to you when all men speak well of you, for that is how your fathers treated the false prophets' or 'enter in by the narrow gate, for broad is the road that leads to destruction' -- they knew, then as now, that being right means standing against the crowd, and being punished for it by that same crowd. Having vicious things said to you by teachers is the smallest taste of that.

It's a choice we all have to make. For myself, I've tried to pick my battles, because I still need to live and function in this world and therefore I can't always be sticking my finger in the eyes of my superiors or my peers. So I fight for the things I really care about , and let slide the things I don't. Perhaps I should be a better man. Perhaps someone else could walk this path better than I, but I'm the one who has to walk it.

As you must yours.

I wish you success, and the courage to do the right even though it hurts. It always does.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

MoonCat
2011-01-02, 07:15 PM
You think this is bad, just wait until you try campaigning for something really controversial later in life like rights for group X or end mis-treatment of Y or Ban Z or some other thing where the status quo is supported by governments who have no scruples -- absolutely none -- about maintaining it.
:smallbiggrin: I already have, over the summer I was involved with a hugely controversial movement in my hometown that I will not name. It covered all of those and was not popular.

Trog, I think you didn't read that this is not a daily school lunch, this is a once-a-month celebration that we are not allowed to bring our own food to. We cannot bring a brown bag lunch if we feel that the food being served is not healthy enough. I know that some people will not be tolerant, and I know that things will be harder if I stand up for other kids rights, I'm just frustrated that the teachers, who, even if they are not vegetarian, should know, that bullying someone about their choices are not okay.
I am not continually complaining to the teachers, the marble case was when I was told outright, go away. My friend and I also notified the teachers when these same guys called an autistic friend of mine a 'retard' and did an imitation of him to the whole class. These are not small issues, I don't usually tell teachers when there are small things, like putting their feet on my chair after I've asked them to stop. I don't think I am crying wolf when I put up with smaller things because I know that I have bigger problems to deal with.

THAC0
2011-01-02, 07:36 PM
this is a once-a-month celebration that we are not allowed to bring our own food to. We cannot bring a brown bag lunch if we feel that the food being served is not healthy enough.

This is the biggest problem here, IMO, and where the school opens themselves up. What if someone was allergic to the food being served?

MoonCat
2011-01-02, 07:49 PM
That's another reason I'm so frustrated, I am trying for there to be food for people who CAN'T as well as won't. One kid has diabetes and would not be able to have food on these days if I wasn't telling the entire rest of my committee that, no, we need more food than cake and steak. And the teachers aren't giving a damn about that either.

The Glyphstone
2011-01-02, 08:02 PM
Honestly, I think the best advice in here has been the bit about you not being able to do it alone. You need backup from the people who are actually affected by this problem, and will continue to be affected after you're gone and they no longer have an external advocate. Especially the diabetic kid...his life is in danger because of the teacher's negligence. Him, and the actual vegetarians together - you said they make up 1/6 of the entire school population. That many people (and more importantly, parents) who stand together and confront the school authorities directly could get lasting change enacted.

All you can do is stave off the inevitable, unless you convince the adults and parents who might be sympathetic to join the cause - adults will only listen to other adults, and sometimes they only listen to threats or threats of lawsuits. The potential mass loss of 1/6 of their school's tuition fees would probably be a huge wakeup call to the school staff.

Trog
2011-01-02, 10:07 PM
Trog, I think you didn't read that this is not a daily school lunch, this is a once-a-month celebration that we are not allowed to bring our own food to. We cannot bring a brown bag lunch if we feel that the food being served is not healthy enough. I know that some people will not be tolerant, and I know that things will be harder if I stand up for other kids rights, I'm just frustrated that the teachers, who, even if they are not vegetarian, should know, that bullying someone about their choices are not okay.
Ah, I did miss that this wasn't an everyday thing. Hmm... I still say brown bag it if you have to. Partake of what foodstuffs that are veggie friendly and eat your own stuff for the rest. If you had like a peanut allergy they wouldn't begrudge you not eating it I'd bet so just bring it anyway and say that you've accommodated them as much as you could but that it's not enough to be your whole meal. Get your parents to write a note for you. I'm sure it'll be fine. If it isn't do it anyway.

I am not continually complaining to the teachers, the marble case was when I was told outright, go away. My friend and I also notified the teachers when these same guys called an autistic friend of mine a 'retard' and did an imitation of him to the whole class. These are not small issues, I don't usually tell teachers when there are small things, like putting their feet on my chair after I've asked them to stop. I don't think I am crying wolf when I put up with smaller things because I know that I have bigger problems to deal with.
Well this isn't how you characterized yourself earlier in the thread. If you were acting like that then it most certainly could be seen as crying wolf. If not then not. I only have to go off of what you put forward. And as I said before you don't have to drink if you don't want to. No skin off my back. *shrug*

The Glyphstone
2011-01-02, 11:22 PM
Ah, I did miss that this wasn't an everyday thing. Hmm... I still say brown bag it if you have to. Partake of what foodstuffs that are veggie friendly and eat your own stuff for the rest. If you had like a peanut allergy they wouldn't begrudge you not eating it I'd bet so just bring it anyway and say that you've accommodated them as much as you could but that it's not enough to be your whole meal. Get your parents to write a note for you. I'm sure it'll be fine. If it isn't do it anyway.

Well this isn't how you characterized yourself earlier in the thread. If you were acting like that then it most certainly could be seen as crying wolf. If not then not. I only have to go off of what you put forward. And as I said before you don't have to drink if you don't want to. No skin off my back. *shrug*

Out of curiosity, what would they do if the vegetarians defied the rule and brought a bagged lunch of salad or something anyways? Take it away, strap them down, and force-feed them steak and cookies?

Johel
2011-01-03, 04:44 AM
Out of curiosity, what would they do if the vegetarians defied the rule and brought a bagged lunch of salad or something anyways? Take it away, strap them down, and force-feed them steak and cookies?

Would be awesome :smalltongue:

"-You WILL be fed properly !!"

More seriously, pretty much what Trog said : bring your lunch as usual.
The non-veggies won't care what you eat as long as they get served what they want.

And if the teachers complain, just make sure all veggies stick together.
Basically, you're sending the message :
"-If you don't care about our opinion, we don't care about your rules."
Teachers can sanction you but you will have had your ways.
And frankly, I doubt your parents will care about a note saying "Got in detention because he brought lunch at school"...

Don Julio Anejo
2011-01-03, 11:14 AM
I honestly feel obligated to point to That Mitchell and Webb Look (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKTsWjbjQ8E&feature=related).

Also, I agree with everything Trog said. And if I were in the same situation, I simply wouldn't care. I'd bring my lunch and tell everyone to stuff it. I'm not really the rebelly type, but I honestly don't give a crap about rules which don't make sense. And in this particular case, the teachers would get in more trouble in the long run were they to take it away from you.

Foeofthelance
2011-01-03, 03:13 PM
Could we get an example of the things you are suggesting? As a dedicated omnivore myself, I personally have no problem with steak and cake. Having lived with a vegetarian sister, I also have no problem with things like mac and (soy based) cheese.

Its when things like, "Roast tofu with garlic laced alfalfa sprouts" end up on the menu that I start making dark mutterings about rabbit food and rapid delivery of pizza.

I'm wondering if maybe the solution is not confrontation, but deception. There are plenty of dishes out there that are commonly popular and can be done in a vegan manner without letting the secret slip. Mac and cheese, pizza, tomato and grilled cheese, etc. Or, if its really too much, just let them win with the caveat that fine, steak and cake. But there needs to be more than just that, so they can be responsible for making steaks and cookies for thirty people, you will make the side dishes, said side dishes being vegan without the announcement.

Personally, though, Id just quit. Yeah, they are louts, but the mention of actual physical violence at the announcement means they are no longer worth tolerating. You are not their slave, nor their whipping post, and there is nothing that should make you feel obligated to serve in either role.

Don Julio Anejo
2011-01-03, 04:07 PM
One other thing I've realized, if the majority on your committee want steak fried steak dipped in steak, that's their choice. That's why they signed up for the committee in the first place - so they could sometimes have steak fried steak dipped in steak lunches.

Your ire should be directed towards the cafeteria which doesn't cater at all to vegetarians.

Lolzords
2011-01-05, 01:03 PM
Wait there are people who pick on people because they're vegetarian? You're right, humans are bastards. :smallmad:

darbythegambler
2011-01-05, 01:16 PM
if they make fun of you again, offer to serve the people making fun of you as the entree for the next menu :smallbiggrin: soylent green anyone?

Craftworld
2011-01-05, 08:09 PM
You aren't crazy, you have a brain and your own opinion. Sadly humans are creatures of conflict and often to blow off steam find something to argue about. I support you but these boys obviously do not. While I cannot that I know of say that I have vegan friends I respect their diet for one that is healthy. Keep up your strength, and keep up the fight, no matter the costs.

Craftworld
2011-01-05, 08:14 PM
While my brain may be on the wrong path the once a month all school celebration sounds like a way for the school to earn a larger amount of money. I don't know what the publisiced reason is for because I don't live where you live, but probably one of the main reasons for this celebration is the fact that your school district wants money and this is a "reasonable" way to acquire that money.

Kislath
2011-01-06, 12:42 AM
Whoa, waitaminute... the students HAVE to eat what's on the menu and cannot bring their own food?
Okay, that does it. You have a solid case. GET A LAWYER! He can fix this mess in five minutes flat.

Serpentine
2011-01-06, 05:32 AM
I'm wondering if maybe the solution is not confrontation, but deception. There are plenty of dishes out there that are commonly popular and can be done in a vegan manner without letting the secret slip. Mac and cheese, pizza, tomato and grilled cheese, etc. Or, if its really too much, just let them win with the caveat that fine, steak and cake. But there needs to be more than just that, so they can be responsible for making steaks and cookies for thirty people, you will make the side dishes, said side dishes being vegan without the announcement.Actually... That's not a bad idea. Start suggesting make-your-own meals like burgers and pizzas that mean you can have both vegetarian and carnivorous variants without requiring whole seperate menus. If I understand the system properly (which I probably don't), it shouldn't be a big deal to have one student bring a stack of sausages or salami, and have another student bring a stack of tofu sausages or vegetarian cheese*.

*I think I ruined cheese for a vegetarian friend by pointing out that most have rennet in them...

Turalisj
2011-01-06, 05:54 AM
One other thing I've realized, if the majority on your committee want steak fried steak dipped in steak, that's their choice. That's why they signed up for the committee in the first place - so they could sometimes have steak fried steak dipped in steak lunches.

Your ire should be directed towards the cafeteria which doesn't cater at all to vegetarians.

Mmm... Steak dipped in steak and fried in steak. Making me hungry.

You forgot the fried cheese with melted cheese on top, deep fried and served with melted cheese. :smallwink:

Back on topic though, best thing you could do is threaten to go over the teacher's heads and contact the school administrator or even county school board. I've had to deal with teacher's ignoring the BS that goes on in front of them and found that usually works.

Aidan305
2011-01-06, 06:53 AM
Back on topic though, best thing you could do is threaten to go over the teacher's heads and contact the school administrator or even county school board. I've had to deal with teacher's ignoring the BS that goes on in front of them and found that usually works.

The board of director's wouldn't be a bad choice in people to approach. If the headmistress, the highest academic authority is ignoring your claims, then you'll just have to go to the highest authorities within the school.
Of course, in doing so you'd probably make an enemy of the headmistress, but given what you've said about her so far on this thread I can't really see any problems with that. Make sure you have all of your facts and figures with you when you go to talk to them, and make sure they're aware that you've spoken with the headmistress, the teachers, etc and that they have, thus far done nothing. I assume you originally brought this point up some time ago, try to remember the rough date and include that in your report. That'll hopefully stem off any complaints of "We're already looking in to it." Similarly, try and head off the complaint that you're making a big deal over nothing. Pointing out the health issues (with regards to diabetic or allergic students) is a good way of doing this as it forces them to focus on potential consequences should this issue go unchecked.

Overall, good luck. I always despise it when teachers don't act in a way that befits their position of responsibility.