PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer question

dragonsamurai77
2011-01-01, 06:00 PM
If I'm gestalting with Barbarian at level 1 (so no fancy armor boosts), would it be better to take Battle Sorcerer and take the spell hit, or stick with regular Sorcerer and take the armor hit? The point of the build is to use spells to buff the Barbarian side, so I'm a bit hesitant to lose my armor bonus.

Lateral
2011-01-01, 06:05 PM
In almost every instance, spells>AC. Take Sorcerer over Battle Sorcerer. I'm pretty sure that there's a guide to having the best armor with no ASF out there anyway, so if you're so worried about it, do that.

Or, y'know, grow a Mage Armor, since it doesn't stack and is better than a chain shirt anyway, and only drains one 1st level spell slot ever during your career, instead of constantly hurting you throughout it. :smalltongue:

Chilingsworth
2011-01-01, 06:07 PM
With the intent you describe, definately better to take the spell hit.

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-01-01, 06:10 PM
With the intent you describe, definately better to take the spell hit.

Wrong! This is gestalt, so more spells to buff yourself is more better. At 8th level, you can get all the armor you need with one 4th level spell. With Battle Sorcerer, that's your only 4th level spell for a few levels.

Lateral
2011-01-01, 06:12 PM
...Which 4th level spell would that be? I mean, mage armor is a given, but... 4th level?

...Oh, right. Polymorph.

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-01-01, 06:18 PM
...Which 4th level spell would that be? I mean, mage armor is a given, but... 4th level?

...Oh, right. Polymorph.

Yes, but no. I was going with Greater Luminous Armor.

Chilingsworth
2011-01-01, 06:21 PM
Yes, but no. I was going with Greater Luminous Armor.

Spontaneous casters can't get sanctified spells. However, if you went wizard instead of sorcerer, you could do this. The spell gives you fullplate, plus reduces to hit on you from melee attacks from evil creatures, and carries no downside. (Except for ability damage at the end of the spell durration, like all sanctified spells.)

dragonsamurai77
2011-01-01, 06:24 PM
Spontaneous casters can't get sanctified spells. However, if you went wizard instead of sorcerer, you could do this. The spell gives you fullplate, plust reduces to hit on you from melee attacks from evil creatures, and carries no downside.

The DM highly recommends that we not play Wizards.

M@XWeru
2011-01-01, 06:27 PM
Ooor, you could go ahead and grab a Mithril Twilight Chain Shirt for a net 0% ACF. Ooooooor, you could take one level of Spellsword (in gestalt, you can do that way early) and grab an Arcane Driftmetal Twilight suit of Full Plate mail.

Those are just a few options.

Also, you could probably get around the "no sanctified spells" problem with Mage of the Arcane Order, though that's outside of my area of expertise.

kladams707
2011-01-01, 06:31 PM
To add to the previous person, you can find the twilight quality in Book of Exalted Deeds as well as Player's Handbook II (It's in a sidebar that's in the Duskblade section for PHBII).

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-01-01, 06:33 PM
Greater Luminous Armor is a sanctified spell:

Spellcasters prepare sanctified spells just as they do
regular spells, and casters who do not prepare spells
(including sorcerers and bards) cannot make use of
them except from a scroll.

This section begins with a list of sanctified spells, which are
available to any class that prepares spells rather than casting
them spontaneously.
Even if he takes Arcane Preparation it's a bit iffy whether or not he'd be able to get access to sanctified spells. If he can, then it's definitely worth spending the feat to get the best armor in the game. Pick up a Rod of Bodily Restoration (MIC) to fix the sacrifice cost, and a Rod of Extend also helps. I'd get Arcane Preparation no later than 3rd level, because the 2nd level version is almost as good and a Lesser Rod of Extend is easy to afford at that level.

Another must-have is an Eternal Wand (MIC) of Hound of Doom (CW).

Be sure to get Abjurant Champion, and consider taking two to four levels of Arcane Duelist (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20030224a), considering how Dexterous Attack interacts with two-handed Power Attack. Get a Monk's Belt if you can and pick up Ascetic Mage.

Greenish
2011-01-01, 06:36 PM
Also, you could probably get around the "no sanctified spells" problem with Mage of the Arcane Order, though that's outside of my area of expertise.Arcane Preparation might also work, though if the DM is discouraging wizards, you could just ask for sanctified spells on your sorcerer.

Since you're using mainly buffs (which you would want to put up before combat), you could just go with normal armour, ASF and all, and just avoid using spells with somatic components in combat where losing actions would be bad. That is, until you can afford twilight mithral chain shirt, which is very cheap.

Chilingsworth
2011-01-01, 06:45 PM
There is one way to get sanctified spells with a sorcerer: the Exalted Arcanist PrC but, it'll take awhile to do so. Also, use of the PrC OR sanctified spells may well not be allowed at all.

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-01-01, 07:05 PM
The DM highly recommends that we not play Wizards.

Why is that, in particular?

As for the sanctified spells issue, I admittedly derped.

Soren Hero
2011-01-01, 07:14 PM
miss chance is the way to go...mirror image gives at least 50% miss chance (a second level spell)...so no battle sorcerer for u

/problem

dragonsamurai77
2011-01-01, 07:19 PM
Why is that, in particular?

As for the sanctified spells issue, I admittedly derped.

Druids too, so I guess something with balance, though the fact that we're playing World's Largest Dungeon probably has something to do with it as well.

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-01-01, 07:24 PM
WLD has measures against the 10 minute work day. That and summons don't work there.