PDA

View Full Version : Building a demon-summon trap-room

Escheton
2011-01-01, 11:20 PM
Ok, so you take the stronghold builder feat at lvl 12 to build yourself a stronghold with the intend of summoning demons and devils to turn into mummys, corpse- and skelly creatures to build yourself an army.

How do you build a sure way to kill any called demon/devil?

(edit: just realised the threadtitle might be taken as a traproom that summons demons as a challenge for pc's, anyone know how one edits threadtitles?)

Curious
2011-01-01, 11:36 PM
I'm not certain that you put demons and devils into corpses to create undead, in fact, I'm rather certain that creating undead is a third level spell.

Urpriest
2011-01-01, 11:39 PM
I'm not certain that you put demons and devils into corpses to create undead, in fact, I'm rather certain that creating undead is a third level spell.

Not what he's talking about. He's planning to use the corpses of demons and devils to make interesting undead.

For the OP: lava? acid? Some of those guys are even vulnerable to drowning.

Jarrick
2011-01-01, 11:41 PM
I used a circle of storm giant skeletons I happened to have on hand to pummel them to death as soon as they appear. Any heavy damage-dealing minions/party members would work though. Alternatively, find a voidwraith or pick one up with undead leadership and summon the target thing inside an airtight room with the voidwraith in a forcecage or somesuch nearby. This only works if the creature breathes though. And dont forget your dimensional anchors!

DragonOfUndeath
2011-01-01, 11:43 PM
Set up a Repeating Trap of Summon Monster (or other spell you want) set to trigger when you say "Summon Demon". Have the Summon spot above a trapped tile that triggers Repeating Traps of {Insert several SoDs here} centered on that spot. You can even set several traps to summon different kinds of Demons each set to activate when you say "Summon {Insert Demon of your choice}"

Jarrick
2011-01-01, 11:45 PM
For the OP: lava? acid?

Part of making undead is the fact that you need there to be a corpse left to animate. :smallwink: lol

DragonOfUndeath
2011-01-01, 11:49 PM
That's why SoDs are so good. They leave intact corpses.

Urpriest
2011-01-02, 12:28 AM
Part of making undead is the fact that you need there to be a corpse left to animate. :smallwink: lol

Lava is a bit of a problem then, but the right type of acid would leave the skeleton, and skeletons are the most useful type of undead anyway.

A Summon Monster trap as suggested earlier wouldn't work, you'd need to use Calling, which I assume is the OP's intent. Regardless, and SOD-based trap might have save DCs a little too low for what you're going for, though it would otherwise be efficient. I'm pretty sure most outsiders can drown, however, and not many can cast Water Breathing. So water might do fine.

AslanCross
2011-01-02, 12:58 AM
Aye, Summon Monster doesn't work, as the creatures are banished to their home planes upon "death." I'm not even so sure a calling spell will work: a demon corpse discorporates randomly, while a devil corpse dissolves in 3-9 minutes.

You're going to have to do this on their home plane to get away with it.

There aren't any sure-fire ways kill them either either; outsiders almost always have damage reduction, not to mention high saves and a bunch of spell-like abilities. Even if you're able to cast the necessary dimensional anchor to keep it from leaving, a planar binding spell requiring a service of "stand there while we eviscerate you" might be difficult to get past a DM.

Soren Hero
2011-01-02, 03:47 AM
of course, u can always use lesser planar binding and ask a service that is impossible, and then start casting things like geas/quest to lower it's saves, bestow curse, etc until it reaches a point where u can kill it. for more info on doing things like this, the OP should check out the Malconvoker Handbook (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872758/Mastering_the_Malconvoker?pg=1) and get ideas from there

Escheton
2011-01-02, 06:48 AM
thanks for the ideas so far.

According to a few sourcebooks demons and devils souls and body are one.
There is also the rez outsider spell. And Libris Mortis(or HoH) has stats for demon/devil zombies/skellys alongside that of a hydra.
This makes me think they do in fact leave a corpse for long enough to uncroak them, or when using the higher lvl version and different templates that even allow them to still lvl up(:D), decrypt.

So yeah, the idea is for a hellbred Dread necro//Sacred fist to use a trapfilled room to call demons/devils in to decrypt them to seige/attack the Devil who has the contract on his soul with the army that makes.

On that note: anyone know of awesome demons/devils to do this with that arent mentioned in abovementioned handbook? (which I will peruse after this post)

Kobold-Bard
2011-01-02, 08:37 AM

(edit: just realised the threadtitle might be taken as a traproom that summons demons as a challenge for pc's, anyone know how one edits threadtitles?)

Dunno about the actual question, but you can change your title within 28 days (I think) of starting the thread by clicking edit on the first post and simply changing the title in the title box above your post. After that time you need to PM a mod and ask them to do it.

Quirp
2011-01-02, 09:05 AM
You could just call all the demons/devils in a room full with symbols of death.
Few things can make 50+ saving throws in a row.

jseah
2011-01-02, 09:24 AM
The magic circle prevents it from getting out. Calling Diagram gives you your dimensional anchor without having to rush it.

Etch the thing into the floor if you're going to use it often and take 20 doing it. Might as well not spend the time redrawing it over and over.

Then simply use planar binding and don't bother bargaining. It can't leave short of a cha-check and affect anything outside the circle so you just debuff it and kill it.
- If by some arcane ruling, you *need* to bargain, just ask for something outrageous it cannot accept and it'll have to stay for 24 hours per CL. Plenty of time to kill it.

Not sure what you're asking but that's simple enough you can do it almost anywhere.

Benly
2011-01-02, 09:48 AM
It tends to be assumed (on the basis of Revive Outsider if nothing else) that when you use a Calling spell, the dead outsider leaves a corpse long enough to do things with/to it. Not much point to having a spell that can only target an outsider corpse if outsiders never leave corpses. :smallwink:

As to how you actually do it, it's pretty straightforward: wallpaper your trap room with so many traps that the outsider will fail a save eventually no matter how good its saves are. 20, 30, as many traps as you feel comfortable stuffing into a small space. Heck, if you're piling on that many traps, you can skip the SoDs and just load it up with damage or something else crippling. It doesn't actually have to be a save or die, because outsiders can be subjected to coups de grace, but in that case it'll have to be something that'll render them helpless long enough to deliver the blow.

You could do this with self-resetting Slay Living traps as the most obvious option. The advantage of this would be that you have an abattoir where anything summoned immediately eats 30-40 Slay Livings, presumably whiffs a save, and dies, and you can just crank out the corpses. The disadvantage would be that this costs so much money to build that unless your DM lets you get away with economy-breaking nonsense it's just not gonna happen.

An Eternal Wand of Glyph of Warding costs around 20,000 GP (depending on how generous your DM is with calculating item costs - this figure is if he simply adds the cost of "per-day item with a material component" to the default cost of an Eternal Wand of that level, which is one of the stricter ways of pricing it given the odd pricing of Eternal Wands.) Once you have one, it will serve as the entire investment cost for the magical parts of your trap room, converting the rest of the price into a price in time spent. You can only lay down two glyphs per day with your Magic Marker, but they're not going anywhere and they'll build up over time. If you have the down time to spare, you can welcome your visitor with a barrage of Shivering Touches to render him paralyzed and helpless, or whatever you feel like. If you're feeling like an especial jerk, remember that metamagic doesn't actually change the level of a spell, so it technically doesn't prevent you from stuffing the spell in a Glyph - enough Twinned Maximized Soundlances or whatever will pretty much ruin anyone's day, even the beefiest outsider.

Greater Glyph of Warding is even better, of course, but it's harder to avoid the costly components. Still, if you're only planning to do this once or twice and you can cast GGoW yourself, you can stuff 20 Slay Living traps (or Twinned Maximized Orb of Force or whatever) in your murder room for only 8000 gold - a bargain, relatively speaking.

Then you try to raise your new efreet corpse as a Bone Creature and rebuke it, and then the DM throws a DMG at your neck.