PDA

View Full Version : What's a good rules-learning adventure?

Keinnicht
2011-01-02, 03:29 PM
Hey guys, I'm DMing for some friends who wanted to learn how to play D&D. I'm thinking the actual plot of the campaign is going to be something involving the demon lord Turgalas, but I need a few introductory adventures to get them to a higher level and get them more familiar with the rules. I was thinking:

-Start off with the old "Bounty on orcs" hunt and kill quest. Gets them used to combat and a mild amount of roleplaying.

-Follow up with dungeon crawl to get them used to traveling, looking for traps, looting stuff, etc.

-Get them to track down a fugitive so they become accustomed to gathering information, planning, tracking, that kind of stuff.

Thus far there's a druid and a barbarian, I think two or three more people are working on characters. Seem like a solid plan?

Yora
2011-01-02, 03:33 PM
That's pretty much what I do with new players. And most of my campaigns consisted of almost all new players.

Put them into a very simple adventure that has them travel to a dungeon, explore the rooms, and kill some creatures. Don't bother with an actual plot or a greater story or something like that. Make a simple dungeon crawl once or twice, and after that it's time to really put some thought into an ongoing campaign.

Kaww
2011-01-02, 04:02 PM
That's pretty much what I do with new players. And most of my campaigns consisted of almost all new players.

Put them into a very simple adventure that has them travel to a dungeon, explore the rooms, and kill some creatures. Don't bother with an actual plot or a greater story or something like that. Make a simple dungeon crawl once or twice, and after that it's time to really put some thought into an ongoing campaign.

I second the one shot dungeon crawls as training wheels. It beats people changing their characters mid campaign when they realize they suck. Try lvl 1, 4, 8, 12 and 16 dungeon crawls. Or lvl 1, 8 and 16 or whatever you see fitting.

It will allow your players to familiarize with rules, gear, what to do and what not to do.

Just my 2 copper pieces...

AslanCross
2011-01-02, 06:37 PM
Agreed; you might spend a lot of time explaining or discussing rules and options in-game, so it might be good to leave an actual plot out at first. Maybe towards the end you could have them segue to the actual plot so that they don't start from scratch.