PDA

View Full Version : Had a Theft-Where to get Certain books

turkishproverb
2011-01-02, 06:03 PM
So I recently went to get some of My D&D books out of storage, and found that the place had had a couple of boxes "removed".

Included in the items taken was one box with a few RPG books, including most of my 3.0/3.5 stuff and a few OOP books.

As such I was curious where the best place to legally get such things as the 3.5 Three Book core, Plot and poison, and the various monser manuals, as well as Other books was?

DementedFellow
2011-01-02, 06:08 PM
You'd be surprised what you can find on Amazon, eBay and even your FLGS. I don't recommend trying to find a PDF version of the books. Not only is there a legality issue, but I cannot imagine a more clunky program to put books that has 200+ pages.

The SRD will also have a lot of the stuff, just at the cost of many, many hyperlinks.

Halae
2011-01-02, 06:11 PM
well, stright off, you may want to change your title - it seems like your asking where to find illegal downloads or something.

that said: This (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1109.0;topicseen) is how you can essentially play everything for free (though it's hardly completely comprehensive, it covers almost everything youcan access without forking over some money)

After that, Ebay is likely where to go

Claudius Maximus
2011-01-02, 06:13 PM
Definitely look at nearby stores first. You can find books there for a lot less than what they go for online. See if any of your friends would be willing to part with their books too (or just borrow them if that's possible).

I actually thought this was going to be a thread about how to steal books. Pleasantly surprised.

turkishproverb
2011-01-02, 06:35 PM
well, stright off, you may want to change your title - it seems like your asking where to find illegal downloads or something.

I just modified it

that said: This (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1109.0;topicseen) is how you can essentially play everything for free (though it's hardly completely comprehensive, it covers almost everything youcan access without forking over some money)

Hmm... Useful collection of links. Not everything I wanted, but I good bit of stuff. Thanks.

After that, Ebay is likely where to go

Ugh...I was afraid of that.

You'd be surprised what you can find on Amazon, eBay and even your FLGS. I don't recommend trying to find a PDF version of the books. Not only is there a legality issue, but I cannot imagine a more clunky program to put books that has 200+ pages.

I wasn't looking for PDF's. I agree with you.

Hmm...amazon and ebay again...hrm...

Definitely look at nearby stores first. You can find books there for a lot less than what they go for online. See if any of your friends would be willing to part with their books too (or just borrow them if that's possible).

I've been checking the stores near me. So far nothing, but I'm still searching.

I actually thought this was going to be a thread about how to steal books. Pleasantly surprised.

Glad to surprise you.

Lycan 01
2011-01-02, 06:48 PM
Have you talked to the people in charge of the storage place about it? Filed a report or anything? Aren't storage units supposed to be padlocked so that only you or the manager can get in there, anyway? :smallconfused:

As for finding 3.5e stuff, there are a few web sites around the internet where you can get second-hand books, miniatures, and cards. I believe one of them which a friend of mine uses a lot is called Troll and Toad. Or is it Toad and Troll? Not entirely sure, but I'm sure somebody with good Google-Fu can help you out. :smalltongue:

And of course, Ebay and Amazon. Its really not that bad. You can get them pretty cheap on Ebay, since some people are desperate to sell them for quick cash or to make room...

nyjastul69
2011-01-02, 06:57 PM
Wow dude, that sucks! I'm sorry to hear somebody robbed you.

Another option might be to search out some other gaming message boards that have a trading/marketplace forum. You might also go to any nearby FLGS's and see if the owners will let you physically post a 'want ad'.

turkishproverb
2011-01-02, 07:37 PM
Have you talked to the people in charge of the storage place about it? Filed a report or anything? Aren't storage units supposed to be padlocked so that only you or the manager can get in there, anyway? :smallconfused:

Yea...it was a break in. That's not going to help alot, but I'm working on it. By and in large I'm getting "Yea, that's tough, but stop wasting our time we can't do anything".

As for finding 3.5e stuff, there are a few web sites around the internet where you can get second-hand books, miniatures, and cards. I believe one of them which a friend of mine uses a lot is called Troll and Toad. Or is it Toad and Troll? Not entirely sure, but I'm sure somebody with good Google-Fu can help you out. :smalltongue:

Troll and toad, while a nice site, doesn't have alot fo the core books for 3.0/3.5 anymore. They sell out too fast.

And of course, Ebay and Amazon. Its really not that bad. You can get them pretty cheap on Ebay, since some people are desperate to sell them for quick cash or to make room...

Yea, I just hate dealing with Amazon/ebay returns when a used book shows up missing pages 12-54.

Wow dude, that sucks! I'm sorry to hear somebody robbed you.

Thanks. I appriciate the sympathy.

Another option might be to search out some other gaming message boards that have a trading/marketplace forum. You might also go to any nearby FLGS's and see if the owners will let you physically post a 'want ad'.

Hmm...That IS an idea, though there's a 50% chance the nearest shop to me will just say I should just buy a newer game. :smallannoyed:

Lycan 01
2011-01-02, 07:47 PM
Doesn't Ebay and/or Amazon have a quality guarantee, so that if you don't get what you paid for, the person who sold it is held liable? :smallconfused: And on Amazon, you can sort through the used copies being sold. Try getting a "Very Good" or "Like New" copy from a reputable dealer with lots of positive feedback. :smallconfused:

Maybe you can ask your local FLGS if they know any other dealers or customers who'd be willing to sell. I have two local FLGSs. One is Hobbytown, and you're SOL there. The other is a card and comic store which also serves as a huge RPG and Warhammer hub. The owner will not only help you find what you need, but if he can't, he'll try to orchestrate trades and deals between customers themselves to help people buy/sell what they need. The dude is awesome. :smalleek:

turkishproverb
2011-01-02, 07:56 PM
Doesn't Ebay and/or Amazon have a quality guarantee, so that if you don't get what you paid for, the person who sold it is held liable? :smallconfused: And on Amazon, you can sort through the used copies being sold. Try getting a "Very Good" or "Like New" copy from a reputable dealer with lots of positive feedback. :smallconfused:

It's more that it's a hassle to get Ebay/Amazon to live up to their guarantees.

And finding things are listed under higher quality thant hey actually are :smallyuk:

Maybe you can ask your local FLGS if they know any other dealers or customers who'd be willing to sell. I have two local FLGSs. One is Hobbytown, and you're SOL there. The other is a card and comic store which also serves as a huge RPG and Warhammer hub. The owner will not only help you find what you need, but if he can't, he'll try to orchestrate trades and deals between customers themselves to help people buy/sell what they need. The dude is awesome. :smalleek:

The issue is finding a FLGS near me that would be willing to do that. Like I said my local-local one is independently owned, but they get a little erm...iffy at times.

Lycan 01
2011-01-02, 07:58 PM
Ask them if you can put up a flyer or something, then. Maybe a sign saying you're looking to replace your DnD books, and list your contact information. Maybe they'd let you do that? :smallconfused:

seraine
2011-01-02, 08:35 PM
Well,I got the 3.0 Monster Manual,Player's Handbook,and Duengeon Master's Guide along with a d4,d6,d8,d10,d12,d20, and percentage die on Ebay for 7 bucks.:smallsmile:Pretty good deal,eh?

seraine
2011-01-02, 08:37 PM
double post

turkishproverb
2011-01-02, 08:39 PM
Ask them if you can put up a flyer or something, then. Maybe a sign saying you're looking to replace your DnD books, and list your contact information. Maybe they'd let you do that? :smallconfused:

Oh, I'll ask, I'm just doubting they'll let me. Still a good idea.

Well,I got the 3.0 Monster Manual,Player's Handbook,and Duengeon Master's Guide along with a d4,d6,d8,d10,d12,d20, and percentage die on Ebay for 7 bucks.:smallsmile:Pretty good deal,eh?

:smalleek:

That's a great deal and I hate you for getting it.

:smallwink:

Raum
2011-01-02, 09:04 PM
Have you checked Noble Knight (http://www.nobleknight.com/)? They're a good place to look for out of print games. Abe Books (http://www.abebooks.com/) is a good place to look for any OoP book. I've seen a few games there - though Noble Knight has a much better selection.

turkishproverb
2011-01-02, 09:39 PM
Have you checked Noble Knight (http://www.nobleknight.com/)? They're a good place to look for out of print games. Abe Books (http://www.abebooks.com/) is a good place to look for any OoP book. I've seen a few games there - though Noble Knight has a much better selection.

Thanks for the links, I'll check them out. I think I may have used Abe for textbooks before.

ryuteki
2011-01-04, 01:44 AM
Personally, I'd go to the twice-yearly auction at Games Plus in Mt Prospect IL (www.games-plus.com), but that may not be anywhere near you, you didn't say where you were.

I also sometimes see some of them at used bookstores like Half Price Books, they have a fairly small RPG section, usually 2-4 shelves worth.

turkishproverb
2011-01-04, 06:21 AM
Personally, I'd go to the twice-yearly auction at Games Plus in Mt Prospect IL (www.games-plus.com), but that may not be anywhere near you, you didn't say where you were.

I also sometimes see some of them at used bookstores like Half Price Books, they have a fairly small RPG section, usually 2-4 shelves worth.

Sadly I don't live near there. Sounds like a nice place though.

Hmm... half price books... Wonder if I have one of those near me...

ShriekingDrake
2011-01-04, 10:08 AM
So I recently went to get some of My D&D books out of storage, and found that the place had had a couple of boxes "removed".

If may be able to address some of the cost issues if your or the storage facility's insurance will cover this kind of incident. Many do and that would enable you to worry less about cost. Best of luck.

Erom
2011-01-04, 11:41 AM
FWIW, I've never located a FLGS in the 3 cities I've lived over the last decade that could get prices even CLOSE to what Ebay and Amazon will give you. I shop online without a second thought, because it's always 20%-50% cheaper than going local.

YMMV of course, but for me, the FLGS is always the place to go if I need a book in a hurry and am willing to deal with the condescending mouthbreathers, and the internet is where I go to get decent prices.

turkishproverb
2011-01-04, 10:04 PM
If may be able to address some of the cost issues if your or the storage facility's insurance will cover this kind of incident. Many do and that would enable you to worry less about cost. Best of luck.

The insurance will cover them as generic used books, and only that to a certain extent. We're looking at them valued at about $3 apiece, max.

FWIW, I've never located a FLGS in the 3 cities I've lived over the last decade that could get prices even CLOSE to what Ebay and Amazon will give you. I shop online without a second thought, because it's always 20%-50% cheaper than going local.

YMMV of course, but for me, the FLGS is always the place to go if I need a book in a hurry and am willing to deal with the condescending mouthbreathers, and the internet is where I go to get decent prices.

True on prices (usually) but overall I prefer getting books in person because I keep getting false info on condition.

huttj509
2011-01-05, 05:04 AM
I'll second half price books, but I've noticed it helps to know if there's a few near you, and browse frequently (dunno if you can actually call them and ask if they have _____ particular book). They tend to have a lot of churn.

I personally poke my my nearby ones occasionally to look for a meatspace copy of the ToB, also looking for other stuff to catch my eye (I love the 3.5 ravenloft supplements, just for browsing). Also have a personal quest to locate the full collection of the 2E encyclopedia magica, I love the look of the binding and such, it just kinda feels like the sort of thing you'd locate in a wizard's library. Now, I have to locate them "sportingly", no amazon or e-bay, since I'm looking for them for fun rather than "I have a use for them in a game in a week". I currently have vol 1 and 2, 2 was located in a Half price books, and later visiting a friend I saw she had vols 1 and 2 and told her about my quest, and vol. 1 was, um, forcibly gifted unto me ("if you only glance at it once it's more use than it'll get here, TAKE IT").

But yeah, amazon, e-bay, local game stors (and asking them if they have suggestions on where to find the books if they don't have them), and used book stores like half-price (good sized chain, at least in some parts of the states, is why I keep mentioning it specifically, yer more likely to locate one than if I mentioned a local mom and pop used book place). Unfortunately there's no real central "why yes, that's no longer being printed but we keep them fresh at the original prices just in case someone wants em" store. I'd love it if there were.

WinceRind
2011-01-05, 01:02 PM

Included in the items taken was one box with a few RPG books, including most of my 3.0/3.5 stuff and a few OOP books.

As such I was curious where the best place to legally get such things as the 3.5 Three Book core, Plot and poison, and the various monser manuals, as well as Other books was?

Well, if you're interested in getting them legally buying them off someone is probably the only way at this point. 3.5, at the least. I don't think they print 'em anymore... You can search some old bookstores, but I doubt that you'll be able to find anything - I tried that myself, no luck.

You can use the good 'ol internet, but expect to pay 40-50 bucks per core books for 3.5 on most sites. Can get other books pretty cheap, I think I saw Complete - books for 10-15 bucks somewhere on Amazon.

Good luck.