PDA

View Full Version : Spiker's Damage Reduction (3.5)

Beelzebub1111
2011-01-02, 07:55 PM
The Spikers in the planar handbook, it says that they have Damage Reduction 2/Bludgeoning. but in the description it says that they are resistant to bludgeoning attacks but piercing and slashing get through. Which is the typo?

Lateral
2011-01-02, 08:08 PM
Seeing as there's very few creatures with DR/slashing or piercing (which is what the description would indicate), I'm inclined to say that it's supposed to be DR/bludgeoning.

Ryuk01
2011-01-02, 08:10 PM
This (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20040706a) says that they have DR 2/bludgeoning. Never mind, I read it wrong. I would go with DR 2/slashing and piercing.

arguskos
2011-01-02, 08:10 PM
The Spikers in the planar handbook, it says that they have Damage Reduction 2/Bludgeoning. but in the description it says that they are resistant to bludgeoning attacks but piercing and slashing get through. Which is the typo?
I'd roll with "which one took more words to write", which is that piercing/slashing stuff gets through. Likely, they meant it to be DR against bludgeoning and had a brainfart. I'd go with "DR 2/piercing or slashing" as correct, personally.

Amiel
2011-01-02, 09:42 PM

"Damage reduction 2/bludgeoning: A spiker's spiny skin grants resistance to bludgeoning attacks, though piercing or slashing attacks slip through normally."

Resistance to bludgeoning attacks but are harmed by piercing and slashing damage means DR 2/bludgeoning.

TheCountAlucard
2011-01-02, 09:49 PM
"Damage reduction 2/bludgeoning: A spiker's spiny skin grants resistance to bludgeoning attacks, though piercing or slashing attacks slip through normally."

Resistance to bludgeoning attacks but are harmed by piercing and slashing damage means DR 2/bludgeoning.DR 2/bludgeoning means that bludgeoning is what overcomes that DR. Either that, or every other book in the game is mistaken. One book has a typo, or every other book is wrong... hmm... :smalltongue:

Amiel
2011-01-02, 10:01 PM
It's worded rather awkwardly; I was poking fun at it :smallwink:
DR shouldn't even play into the equation.

Thurbane
2011-01-07, 08:47 AM
I can't put a finger on it, but I'm sure this same "typo" crops up in one or two other places. I think a couple of designers had the wrong end of the stick with DR - they thought the number after the slash is what is blocked by the DR, rather than what overcomes it...