PDA

View Full Version : Would Ian accept Elan?

paladinofshojo
2011-01-02, 11:28 PM
Come one, doesn't anyone else see that awkwardness of having your daughter date the son of the tyrant who imprisoned you for three years?

Goosefarble
2011-01-02, 11:34 PM
It's probably going to be an issue which comes up fairly soon. Even after getting over the initial shock of having Tarquin's look-alike son burst in to rescue him from prison, he'll still have that whole "Starshine confidentiality policy" and will naturally be angry at Haley for opening up to someone who isn't family (though then again, he and Geoff have been pretty palsy with Roy).

mucat
2011-01-02, 11:35 PM
In the short run, yeah, he'll be shocked and ismayed. Once he's had time to think it out, I doubt he'll resent Elan. (Or if he does, it'll be for Elan's own faults, not Tarquin's.) From what little we've seen of him, Ian isn't the type to hold the sins of the father against the son. Think how he'd react if someone tried to hold Haley responsible for his (Ian's) own past crimes...

And if Ian did reject Elan, Haley (despite all her inner self-doubt) is easily strong enough to shrug and say "your loss, Dad. Call us when you've grown up." She loves Ian and wants to rescue him, but that's not the same as letting him make her decisions for her.

Felixc-91
2011-01-02, 11:43 PM
ummm, no, not after the shock wears off. Elan met Tarquin less than a week ago, and doesn't like him very much as a person. we have seen that Ian is a fairly mature person given his handling of things so far. Elan's only connect to his father is genetic (and i suppose there is the shared love of the dramatic). he'll get over it if it is a problem at all.

Goosefarble
2011-01-02, 11:45 PM
ummm, no, not after the shock wears off. Elan met Tarquin less than a week ago, and doesn't like him very much as a person. we have seen that Ian is a fairly mature person given his handling of things so far. Elan's only connect to his father is genetic (and i suppose there is the shared love of the dramatic). he'll get over it if it is a problem at all.

Fairly mature? He berated Haley for telling an old lady that her mother was dead. He might be maturer now, but he's likely still pretty volatile when it comes to "accepting others".

Felixc-91
2011-01-02, 11:49 PM
Fairly mature? He berated Haley for telling an old lady that her mother was dead. He might be maturer now, but he's likely still pretty volatile when it comes to "accepting others". are you really trying to compare something that happened 20 years (ish) ago to how he might respond now? he has disclosed significant information to Roy already. his name and nickname, his relation to his friend, and his knowledge about T's plan. also, Elan isn't some old woman. he's a person she has known for over a year, survived intense combat with... there will not be a serious issue, not in the long term for certain.

Orzel
2011-01-03, 01:15 AM
Why not? Elan barely likes his dad, fought him, and is attempting to break Ian out. Ian's too old to be that thick.

AgentofOdd
2011-01-03, 01:18 AM
It's an interesting question. It does make me wonder how Ian managed to father a child. I can only assume he had an accident with a prostitute and she dumped the baby on him.

snikrept
2011-01-03, 02:03 AM
Ian will also probably not like him because he blurts out things instead of being secretive.

Korias
2011-01-03, 02:39 AM
are you really trying to compare something that happened 20 years (ish) ago to how he might respond now? he has disclosed significant information to Roy already. his name and nickname, his relation to his friend, and his knowledge about T's plan. also, Elan isn't some old woman. he's a person she has known for over a year, survived intense combat with... there will not be a serious issue, not in the long term for certain.

This.

If prison changed Thog quickly, then imagine what 20 years of prison would do to Ian.

zimmerwald1915
2011-01-03, 08:53 AM
It's an interesting question. It does make me wonder how Ian managed to father a child. I can only assume he had an accident with a prostitute and she dumped the baby on him.
A john actually taking responsibility for a foundling is so improbable that it must be the truth.

Scarlet Knight
2011-01-03, 09:31 AM
Can you see Ian suspecting a trap & refusing to be broken out of jail because of Elan? Not to mention his "trust issues". Or attacking Elan thinking that Tarquin simply dyed his hair and "deflowered" his little girl?

Mr. Zolrane
2011-01-03, 10:48 AM
Ian will also probably not like him because he blurts out things instead of being secretive.

This, frankly more than any other thing is likely to be an issue.

faustin
2011-01-03, 10:55 AM
Can you see Ian suspecting a trap & refusing to be broken out of jail because of Elan? Not to mention his "trust issues". Or attacking Elan thinking that Tarquin simply dyed his hair and "deflowered" his little girl?

Five minutes with Elan and even withouth Roy´s advice Ian will quickly get that:
1)Elan is not his father
2) the very idea of Elan tricking his "little girl" is beyond any possibility.:smalltongue:

grimbold
2011-01-03, 11:41 AM

oh god
that, while sort of logical would be a really obnoxious course for the plot to follow
however i think that elan looks somewhat different from tarquin asides from his hair, yes he can have an identical twin but a 60 year old man will not look exactly like him

blazingshadow
2011-01-03, 11:59 AM
It's an interesting question. It does make me wonder how Ian managed to father a child. I can only assume he had an accident with a prostitute and she dumped the baby on him.maybe it was elan's mom? she might not be a prostitute but ian seems the type to go travel around the world and drink at bars

Shhalahr Windrider
2011-01-03, 12:12 PM
It's an interesting question. It does make me wonder how Ian managed to father a child.
One would assume there is a certain point where even Ian would begin to consider his intended to be part of the family.

I can only assume he had an accident with a prostitute and she dumped the baby on him.
Then it would be unlikely for Haley to become known to her friends as “Ian and Mia’s girl” (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0581.html), as opposed to simply “Ian’s girl.”

maybe it was elan's mom? she might not be a prostitute but ian seems the type to go travel around the world and drink at bars
Do you really want to go there (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BrotherSisterIncest)?

Dalek-K
2011-01-03, 12:22 PM
oh god
that, while sort of logical would be a really obnoxious course for the plot to follow
however i think that elan looks somewhat different from tarquin asides from his hair, yes he can have an identical twin but a 60 year old man will not look exactly like him

Well Nale basically did the same idea.... So it wouldn't be to far fetched to think Tarquin would do it (but much much better lol)

Oh for the Haley and Elan's mom is the same woman statements....

~banjo plays his banjo to a tune heard in many a southern states~

faustin
2011-01-03, 12:29 PM
Do you really want to go there?

Ekh :smallyuk: No thanks, I even prefer the "Sabine´s secret sister" theory version.

Shhalahr Windrider
2011-01-03, 01:20 PM
Well Nale basically did the same idea....
Key difference: Nale is the same age as Elan.

Dr.Epic
2011-01-03, 03:00 PM
At first, I'd say no, but once he sees how stupid innocent Elan is he won't view him as a threat.

TheEmerged
2011-01-03, 05:57 PM
Fairly mature? He berated Haley for telling an old lady that her mother was dead. He might be maturer now, but he's likely still pretty volatile when it comes to "accepting others".

Spoilered for epileptic treeness.

Re-read that comic (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0681.html) a little closer.

Fox Box Socks
2011-01-03, 06:09 PM
Not sure if he will or won't. Given what little we know of him, it could really go either way.

I think it'll be more interesting if he doesn't, though

aart lover
2011-01-04, 10:08 PM
probably would be wary at first. but after he sees that Elan is nothing like his father, he would most likely accept him.

Theodoriph
2011-01-04, 10:14 PM
I think Ian would have a bigger problem with the fact that his daughter is dating a total mark.

Katana_Geldar
2011-01-04, 10:25 PM

I thought Haley's mother was Celestial and few away. :smallbiggrin:

Andorax
2011-01-05, 12:20 PM
My question is...would Ian *pretend* to accept Elan, all the while plotting on how to use him to get back at T?

I'm not so sure what we've seen of Ian Starshine so far suggests that he's going to gloss over a golden opportunity just because his daughter is dating the mark.

Morquard
2011-01-05, 01:52 PM
My question is...would Ian *pretend* to accept Elan, all the while plotting on how to use him to get back at T?

I'm not so sure what we've seen of Ian Starshine so far suggests that he's going to gloss over a golden opportunity just because his daughter is dating the mark.
Neither have we seen anything that suggests he'll use the man his daughter loves to get back at Tarquin, who Elan hates too.
On the other hand we have seen enough of Haley that suggests she'd side with Elan against her dad if she had to choose.

archon_huskie
2011-01-05, 06:24 PM
I thought Haley's mother was Celestial and few away. :smallbiggrin:

She is. That makes Haley half-Celestial.

Swordpriest
2011-01-05, 06:32 PM
Well, I doubt dear old dad's opinion on the matter would have much effect on Haley one way or another. She's already picked Elan and if the old man sulks, it's not going to do much more than annoy her, IMO.

He's also unlikely to attack Elan outright if he really dislikes him, being old, cautious, and probably glad to get out of durance vile.

faustin
2011-01-05, 07:19 PM
She is. That makes Haley half-Celestial

Mia Starshine was Ian´s partner in crime. I don´t see a Celestian (lawful good entity) as a thief. So let´s stop the One Winged Haley´s joke, please.

hamishspence
2011-01-05, 07:21 PM
Celestials can include Chaotic Good beings- such as eladrin.

That said- Chaotic Good might disapprove of thievery without sufficiently good cause, too.

Forlong
2011-01-05, 09:17 PM
Pu-lease. I've seen far more awkward relationships in fiction.

Far! MORE!

megabyter5
2011-01-05, 10:18 PM
I wish the Giant would just end it once and for all and say Haley is a non-augmented Humanoid.

...And besides, if Mia was an Eladrin, she wouldn't have gone to Heaven, would she? Heaven is another name for Celestia, the LG plane. She'd go to Ysgard, the Beastlands, or Bytopia.

hamishspence
2011-01-06, 04:39 AM
I'm inclined to think Haley is in fact an ordinary human humanoid.

Still- it's harder to be sure of what Mia's alignment and afterlife were- Haley was a small child at the time- and "heaven" might simply be her way of referring to "the upper planes".

Felixc-91
2011-01-06, 04:44 AM

Still- it's harder to be sure of what Mia's alignment and afterlife were- Haley was a small child at the time- and "heaven" might simply be her way of referring to "the upper planes". or simply death. what kind of person tell their young child that their mother went to the lower plains?

archon_huskie
2011-01-06, 05:26 PM
Mia Starshine was Ian´s partner in crime. I don´t see a Celestian (lawful good entity) as a thief. So let´s stop the One Winged Haley´s joke, please.

Celestials only have to be good. They can be chaotic. Besides I find it more likely that Haley had her wings removed as an infant or never even had them to be more likely than her having only one wing.

Red XIV
2011-01-07, 12:40 AM
Didn't Rich say there was more to Sabine being Haley's "evil opposite" than just her being the love interest of Elan's evil twin, despite that being seemingly the only connection from what we've seen so far? Plus, there's that secret that not even V knows about (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0309.html).

The idea of Haley being something other than just a standard-issue 100% human is quite reasonable.

hamishspence
2011-01-07, 04:51 AM
Hence "inclined to think" rather than "certain".

Morgan Wick
2011-01-19, 03:06 AM
To (hopefully) bring this back on topic (and bump it after a ten-day-or-so layoff), I do like the potential irony that Haley was worried that Ian would frown on her bringing someone else, especially someone Lawful like Roy, to rescue her, (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0681.html) but not so much Elan, and it turns out Ian's just fine with Roy (from having met him beforehand) but is suspicious of Elan.

Swordpriest
2011-01-19, 01:44 PM
To (hopefully) bring this back on topic (and bump it after a ten-day-or-so layoff), I do like the potential irony that Haley was worried that Ian would frown on her bringing someone else, especially someone Lawful like Roy, to rescue her, (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0681.html) but not so much Elan, and it turns out Ian's just fine with Roy (from having met him beforehand) but is suspicious of Elan.

Do we have any proof at all that Ian's suspicious of Elan? :smallconfused: I didn't think that he knew Elan exists yet ....

Nimrod's Son
2011-01-20, 12:48 AM
Do we have any proof at all that Ian's suspicious of Elan? :smallconfused: I didn't think that he knew Elan exists yet ....
Yeah, Ian doesn't know anything about Elan. The idea that he's suspicious of him is nothing more than speculation at this point.

TSED
2011-01-20, 03:49 AM
Uh, guys? Nale is well-known around here, being Tarquin's son and all, right?

THAT is where the drama will stem from. (I can't wait.)

Lord Vukodlak
2011-01-20, 01:58 PM
"Starshine confidentiality policy" and will naturally be angry at Haley for opening up to someone who isn't family (though then again, he and Geoff have been pretty palsy with Roy).

He hasn't really opened up personally to Roy so no violate of the Starshine confidentiality policy. What he may truly be upset by is that Elan and Halley aren't married. Sure he's a rogue but he's also a dad and thus cliche bound to wish his daughter remain pure until her wedding night. THAT and if Elan and Halley were married they'd be family and thus to no violation of the policy.

Come one, doesn't anyone else see that awkwardness of having your daughter date the son of the tyrant who imprisoned you for three years?

I'm fairly certain Ian was imprisoned before Tarquin came to power.

...And besides, if Mia was an Eladrin, she wouldn't have gone to Heaven, would she? Heaven is another name for Celestia, the LG plane. She'd go to Ysgard, the Beastlands, or Bytopia.

No I believe Heaven is just the generic term for the good place.

Nimrod's Son
2011-01-20, 07:52 PM
I'm fairly certain Ian was imprisoned before Tarquin came to power.
No, Tarquin is playing the same role in the Empire of Blood that he was back when it was called Tyrinaria.

Felixc-91
2011-01-21, 12:37 AM
Uh, guys? Nale is well-known around here, being Tarquin's son and all, right?

THAT is where the drama will stem from. (I can't wait.)... why, i mean i can sorta see it, but why do you think Nale would be well known?

TSED
2011-01-21, 11:38 PM
... why, i mean i can sorta see it, but why do you think Nale would be well known?

He was the son of the "general," who was big on doing things "properly." Having your son as a public figure and grooming him to be your successor is pretty standard procedure for rich powerful white men.

Felixc-91
2011-01-22, 01:01 AM
He was the son of the "general," who was big on doing things "properly." Having your son as a public figure and grooming him to be your successor is pretty standard procedure for rich powerful white men.aye, there is that, but if you think back, you'll notice that no one commented on them catching "Nale", none of the gaurds or the guy running the claims desk said any thing, and given how big of a "fish" he would have been, you'd think someone would have at least looked shocked. also, to the general public, he's only a general. and we know from the recent history lesson that Ian was imprisoned for less than 11 month before Nale was failed coup.
great, flimsy evidence on both sides... i guess we'll find out in the next comic

dehro
2011-01-22, 11:42 AM
he's gone through 4 editions of d&d..I'm betting he's seen worse than his daughter doing the naughty with his enemy's offspring..surely he'd recognize the cliché for what it is?

Swordpriest
2011-01-22, 11:46 AM
He was the son of the "general," who was big on doing things "properly." Having your son as a public figure and grooming him to be your successor is pretty standard procedure for rich powerful white men.

Only white guys? :smallbiggrin: