PDA

View Full Version : "The bridge collapses, make a Reflex save."

Gettles
2011-01-03, 03:22 AM
For a game I'm going to run, I was planing to set a trap that the bridge(the bridge would be about 30 feet across) the party is crossing to collapse, but I need to know, where would they land if they make the save? Do the go back to the side they started on? Do they land on the other side or does each land at the side they are closer to?

DukeofDellot
2011-01-03, 03:27 AM
I believe you're the one that decides that.

Or the players, you can always ask the players how they'd like to dodge something.

sonofzeal
2011-01-03, 03:28 AM
I'd normally say "in the water but safe", or "grabbing hold of whichever edge is closest". Yes, the latter option may leave some on different sides. Use your discretion as DM to make that work - if you don't want them on one side, have them all grabbing the other edge. Or falling, but falling safely. Whichever.

Gettles
2011-01-03, 03:30 AM
I believe you're the one that decides that.

Or the players, you can always ask the players how they'd like to dodge something.

Ok, I was planning on it being that they land on the side they were closer to and they would be forced to make a jump check in they wanted to go on the opposite side.

Trickywiggy
2011-01-03, 03:31 AM
Its weird normally I am the one worried what to do when they fail the save, should they fall down the bottomless pit and what not.

I would do what would case the most fun, if they are a party that would like figuring a way across then I say go for that.

Gettles
2011-01-03, 03:39 AM
Its weird normally I am the one worried what to do when they fail the save, should they fall down the bottomless pit and what not.

I would do what would case the most fun, if they are a party that would like figuring a way across then I say go for that.

My plan is that maybe 2 or 3 of the party making it to the far side of the bridge where there is an ambush waiting for them while the rest of the party is either forced to get across/out of the pit to rescue their allies.

Kurald Galain
2011-01-03, 03:45 AM
Do they land on the other side or does each land at the side they are closer to?

Logically, they have a marching order; characters in front of the marching order end up on one side of the bridge, characters in the back on the other.

Ravens_cry
2011-01-03, 04:42 AM
Logically, they have a marching order; characters in front of the marching order end up on one side of the bridge, characters in the back on the other.
What if you have an odd number of characters?

FelixG
2011-01-03, 04:53 AM
What if you have an odd number of characters?

Well, naturally some are going to end up in the water when they fail their saves :smallbiggrin:

Edit: Idea just struck me, what you could do is those that pass the save end up on the far side while those that fail only are able to make it to the side they started from, if you dont want anyone to fall

Ravens_cry
2011-01-03, 04:57 AM
Well, naturally some are going to end up in the water when they fail their saves :smallbiggrin:

Depending on the random god to make things go one so your story goes a certain way is pure hubris.

Edit: Idea just struck me, what you could do is those that pass the save end up on the far side while those that fail only are able to make it to the side they started from, if you dont want anyone to fall
That might work, though if the ones who fails the save are almost over the bridge, one can be excused for wondering how they flew back several feet on a FAILED reflex save.

FelixG
2011-01-03, 05:00 AM
Depending on the random god to make things go one so your story goes a certain way is pure hubris.

That might work, though if the ones who fails the save are almost over the bridge, one can be excused for wondering how they flew back several feet on a FAILED reflex save.

Well as its the GM who triggers the bridge collapse he could have them at a middle point when the bridge collapses naturally, the reflex just decides which way you sprang naturally.

Vangor
2011-01-03, 05:00 AM
Higher reflex save for grabbing hold from further away. Gives them a simple choice, which they should be able to make reflexively as a character, on where they want to leap towards. If you had a bridge thirty feet across you have six squares, and merely begin at a reflex of 10 plus each square away from the ledge, for 10-15-20-25-30-35 one direction and 35-30-25-20-15-10 the other. Depends a little on your party level and how consequential the fall will be, of course.

gibbo88
2011-01-03, 05:27 AM
Ask them would be the simplest thing and let them decide in a couple of seconds, if they don't decide in that time just roll a d6, 1-3 one side and 4-6 the other. Let fate decide if they can't.

OR

Roll a random side if they beat the DC by less than 5, if its more then let them decide.

Psyren
2011-01-03, 09:43 AM

If the pit is truly bottomless but you want to minimize the chances of a TPK, have them bounce off some jagged rock outcroppings on the way down and keep making reflex saves while they take damage. If they fail three in a row, then they vanish into the darkness.

(Sort of a "Complex Saving Throw" (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/complexSkillChecks.htm))

Ozreth
2011-01-03, 10:42 AM
They grap onto dangling ropes at the last minute, swinging into the stone wall and have to make climb/strength checks to get back to the top, then they've got to figure a way across. They will probably be split, some on one side some on the other, depending on where they were when it broke.

boomwolf
2011-01-03, 10:48 AM
A nice little houserule I make is whenever I call "reflex", the players have a few seconds to call direction. if they don't-the characther fumbles around. keeps players on their toes, and gives the (logical) reaction of each guy doing the first thing that jumps into his mind.

Ashiel
2011-01-03, 01:48 PM
I'd let them be safe. Whatever that entails. If it means they're hanging on a ledge and then quickly climb up, then that's what it is. If it means they jumped back to the nearest solid landmass, then that's what they did.

Otherwise, you're really only asking for a reflex save as a formality, when what you're really saying is "you're gonna fall down". Pit traps allow a reflex save for avoiding them (IE - no damage and/or negative effect). A crumbling bridge is another spin on the "pit trap".

To me, making them fall down on a successful reflex save, for any reason, seems innately dishonest and unsporting.