PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Final Fantasy 1 Campaign Material (Updated~)

teslas
2011-01-03, 07:00 AM
EDIT 07/31/12-

Still going strong, though all the below links are almost assuredly broken or out of date. If you'd like the material, send me a PM on here. I'll eventually make a new GitP post.

EDIT 10/06/11-

We're still working on this, though it has slowed temporarily during our infatuation with Minecraft. The original links to the materials are probably broken, but the main two PDFs, spells and classes, have been added in below them.

EDIT 01/28/11-

There are currently two play-tests going. One is with myself and the other creator's friends in a basement. The other has not yet begun and is a Play-by-Post. We still require one person for the PbP.

EDIT 08/12/16-

Still alive, but it seems as if none of the content of this thread is.

[/SPOILER]
What is it?

We have created Final Fantasy 1 in a d20 context. This includes campaign guidelines, class descriptions, a magic system overhaul, and a status effect appendix.

Everything not overridden by changes, basically only spells and classes, remains as your familiar 3.5 D&D.

Why play this?

1. If you're a fan of the older Final Fantasy games, or at least have fond memories of them, this campaign might have a special place in your heart. That being said, no prior knowledge to the actual Final Fantasy 1 game is needed for the players. Not had a chance to play it? Want to revisit the classic? Here's your chance to go back and experience it in arguably the second best way.

2. This is a fairly simple chunk of material for most of you out there. The entire Players Handbook can easily be read and discussed in one set-up session. If you've a working knowledge of the d20 system and an hour of spare time you've enough time to roll up a character and get going. This makes for an absolutely superb introduction into the d20 tabletop gaming environment for new players or a person newly interested in becoming a DM. This is especially so if they enjoy job-based FF.

3. Even though the system is "simple," all of the classes are designed to be somewhat flexible. There is plenty of room to put into your character's development if you enjoy the character sheet game (I do). You are not pigeonholed into a singular aspect of your class.

Major Influences.

1. Final Fantasy 1. Spell names, class names, the world, everything we possibly could we drew from Final Fantasy 1.

2. Final Fantasy 11. Many of our campaign's defining features were drawn from, or influenced heavily by, the only Final Fantasy intended for multiple players*. The game itself draws very heavily upon the themes, ideas, and precedents set by the early Final Fantasy games much much more so than the latter ones. Also, my degree should instead probably come saying, "Bachelor's of Red Mage."

3. WotC materials (you know, apart from the d20 core, of course). A lesser example is Drow of the Underdark which really, really elaborates on the section of the game we're currently experiencing. A greater one: Stormwrack. Ships. Rules. Pirates. Stuff. Good Stuff.

4.Cheap Vodka. It's cheap.

*Final Fantasy 14 never happened and you shut up right now.

How is this different from vanilla D&D, core or otherwise?
Before anything else, the game may feel much more "Core" than even core D&D might feel. The Climb skill, optimizers might say, that is useless because of wizards or a wand of Fly? No. Everyone having Freedom of Movement effects? No. Will it be TPK because they don't? No. Spiked Chains, three thousand all-purpose CoDzilla spells, and fighters and monks feeling useless? Nope, no, and negative.

1. MP system. Regaining MP is similar to regaining spells/day. There is also a new corresponding group of home-brewed feats for spellcasters.

2. Magic overhaul. There are 150 unique spells of which around 90 of the are actually unique effects and not higher level re-hashes. Even the higher level re-hashes (IE: Fire vs. Fire III) are rarely the same thing with only larger numbers. Speaking of direct damaging magic: no elemental spell is simply "I do this much electricity damage." All of them have unique aspects and carrier effects.

3. All classes may feel generally more powerful than their vanilla counterparts. Somewhat obviously, FF1 Fighters and D&D Fighters can have a lot in common. Moreso for D&D Monks and FF1 Black Belts--except this one is actually good at punching things to death. Classes start with slightly higher base Hit Points and are granted more active and passive class features than what you'd see in the 3.5 players' handbook.

That being said, any non-sheisty material and most generally-accepted WotC source for player feats and customization easily finds itself into the campaign.

I'll post our suggested allowances/houserules in a subsequent post.

4. Going by the Tier System, every class is roughly a highly, highly functioning Tier 4, especially in comparison with the world's challenges. Especially creative mages would easily scratch Tier 3. It almost pains me to attempt these comparisons, as they are not quite accurate ones.

Is this only one campaign?

Short Answer:
Yes. And you know that's a loaded question anyway.

Long Answer:

Yes, but it's a long one. Quite long. We are well past our tenth play-testing session (played as an actual campaign) and have yet to see but a fraction of the world. A competent DM wishing to allow the players to savor the experience can easily create dozens of immersions and side quests--including suggestions contained in the DMG.

Do you want something faster? Forget them. Go save the world. You don't even have to grind on forest imps.

Where is this stuff currently viewable?

Contained entirely inside Google Wave. We have found google's tool invaluable. Keeping Wave discussion short here, I'll be sad to see official support for it go later this year.

If you'd wish to access what is currently available, an account for wave is extremely easy to make. All it takes is an email address (which you don't have to check or confirm) and thirty seconds. Post in the thread or contact me via forum message with your wave name and I can add you to the waves. We will be exporting the first draft to HTML for general purpose posting once the Player's Handbook is finished, probably before the end of the month.

EDIT 1/18/11:
We'll be posting exported PDFs online for viewing soon enough. Don't bother with a wave account.

Current Play-testing/Development Status.

Game Mechanics/System: 95%
Fluff and Prettiness: 25%
World/Dungeon Literal Elaboration: 15%

The D&D community I'm involved with locally (seven dudes) revels in creating dungeons and environments and utilizing their own imagination. We're creating the DMG assuming the same is true for everyone.

Current Play-testing party status
Our party: Fighter, Thief, White Mage, Black Mage.
Character Level 7th.
Inside the Marsh Cave, where the it's becoming extremely challenging.
We're damn glad we chose to bring a White Mage. We're terrified of enemy spell-casters. We spend too much money on consumables. Seems pretty right-on for a D&D meets FF mesh to me.

The Player's Handbook is 90% complete. And when I say 90% I mean it's playable now. It's just not formatted to my OCD's liking. One of my co-conspirators is adding fluff to a lot of the classes now.

The DMG is not in a workable, viewable state, but there is plenty of content. It will be the smallest of the three "books," as basically all necessary content will be inside of the PHB.

The Monster Manual is being completed concurrently with play-testing. It contains suggested attributes for the enemies, random encounter tables, and suggested behavior. I know that some of you Dungeon Masters and FF fans out there may rarely look at the MM, instead preferring to roll tons of it yourself. Awesome.

It has been in development for five months, with hot periods of rapid development and tweaking when we have time.

Why did I post about it before actually posting anything?
Because we wouldn't mind someone else looking at it. It might make sense to us, but we've been staring at it for 5 months. What about other people? Having written most of the spells, I can explain to the people I'm playing with what each one does if they have any questions. Would it make sense otherwise?

Also, god(s) forbid someone else actually having a good time with our campaign. We figured if we were going to dump a crap ton of nerd-hours into this, someone else might want a crack at it as well.

Thank you for your time.

edit-
I edit things a lot. These rarely matter.

teslas
2011-01-03, 07:08 AM
Suggested allowances/disallowances as promised in previous post. Of course the hypertext links do the SRD20 and such didn't copy/paste over, nor did the font size/boldness for clarity.

Required Material For This Campaign

It is suggested that every player has access to the following materials:

Dungeons and Dragons™ Player's Handbook v3.5
Dungeons and Dragons™ Dungeon Master's Guide v3.5
Dungeons and Dragons™ Monster Manual v3.5

Most of the information in those three sources has been released under the OGL and can be found in the d20 SRD or in the D&D Wiki. All of the links throughout these documents are for the users' convenience and point to the appropriate page inside of the d20 SRD.

It is also recommended, but absolutely not required, that you have access to the following D&D sourcebooks to enhance your experience:

Unearthed Arcana (many variant rules from this source have been released under the OGL and are available at the d20 SRD)
Player's Handbook II
The Complete Series of books
Stormwrack (for additional rules on ships and sea combat)
Races of Stone (dwarves and the underground setting)
Drow of the Underdark (dark elves and the underground setting)
Dungeonscape

These additional sources will give you more options for feats, the addition of skill tricks, expanded uses for skills and abilities, elaborations on rulings, and even additional rules you may wish to incorporate into your campaign. There are more sourcebooks, (IE: Heroes of Battle) that may have tidbits of useful options for your characters. These are allowed at DM discretion. As always, note all of the appropriate errata for each source if present and consult your DM for what is allowed in the campaign.

Source And Material Disallowances For This Campaign
[LIST MAY NOT BE ALL-INCLUSIVE]

Sources:
Any and all Forgotten Realms and Eberron setting materials are disallowed.
Pretty much all of the "material" contained in Dragon Magazines, especially anything that a player would want to have/use/learn.

Alternate Class Features:
Each class was built with their class features in mind for this campaign in specific, and as such, balancing alternate class features (ACFs) for this campaign is sort of moot. The frequency of available options for ACFs is not as high due to changes to the base classes' abilities. Some classes would have several options open to them, while others would have very, very few. Despite the similarities in name or function, the Final Fantasy classes are not analogous to the D&D core classes: the Fighter is not the D&D fighter, Black Belts are not monks, Thieves are not rogues, White Mages are not clerics, Black Mages are not wizards, and Red Mages are not sorcerors. As such, the ACFs do not apply.

Feat: Easy Metamagic
Stacking Metamagic feats on top of one another is not necessary in this magic system. Higher level spells are already slightly enhanced as compared to their D&D analogues further lessening the "need" for this feat. This is mentioned again here because it is commonly taken in some groups of players. Dragon Magazine #325 is a sheisty-as-hell source and you should feel badly for suggesting otherwise.

Feat: Metamagic School Focus
Much for the same reasons as the above feat.

Feat(s): Reserve Magics
With no particular exceptions or targets, the vast majority of these feats will be disallowed all-together. Due to the large amount of MP granted to casters, they are basically unnecessary, and the increase in caster level for similar spells is handled by other newly introduced feats.

Viladin454
2011-01-03, 07:17 AM
Thank you, Tesla, for the kind words. :) I look forward to reading your FF1 project.

Psst, what if I like grinding on imps? >.>

teslas
2011-01-05, 01:22 AM
Psst, what if I like grinding on imps? >.>

Then you'll need to find a patient DM. D:

Update: all but a few spells finalized. Will be dumping to HTML and probably throwing it all up here.

NineThePuma
2011-01-05, 01:52 AM
Looking forward to this.

Any chance you can just release the bulk material without having every single area covered, then release extra bits as 'Modules'?

Sure, against Sequence Breakers like me it won't help, but it'd be cool.

teslas
2011-01-05, 02:09 AM
Hrm, yes. You're definitely not helping. :p

I don't have any web hosting set up yet. Here's a dump of some of the raw HTML that's zipped up of a large chunk of the PHB. It's not the most recent and still has a bit of development discussion contained inside of it.

When I say raw, I mean raw. There's all sorts of images and junk left over from google wave. I used MEGAUPLOAD as that was the first thing google gave me when I told it I was feeling lucky about free file hosting.
EDIT: Removed. New, much prettier version will be up soon.
I know this looks sheisty, but you wanted something now.

Oh yeah, I've got no idea about this forum's policies about file downloads so I'll get this out of the way: The downloaded file contains text that may have a few errant curse words.

Finally, I don't suggest anyone actually read any of this. Wait until a few weeks from now.

edit- mispellings, warning

Viladin454
2011-01-05, 02:15 AM
Hrm, yes. You're definitely not helping. :p

I don't have any web hosting set up yet. Here's a dump of some of the raw HTML that's zipped up of a large chunk of the PHB. It's not the most recent and still has a bit of development discussion contained inside of it.

When I say raw, I mean raw. There's all sorts of images and junk left over from google wave. I used MEGAUPLOAD as that was the first thing google gave me when I told it I was feeling lucky about free file hosting.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DZYBR0YU
2.14mb
I know this looks sheisty, but you wanted something now.

Oh yeah, I've got no idea about this forum's policies about file downloads so I'll get this out of the way: The downloaded file contains text that may have a few errant curse words.

edit- mispellings, warning

If you need webspace, as I said before, I can host your documents. :) Just send a PM or an email with the files.

teslas
2011-01-18, 07:51 PM
Time for a Play-test

I'm planning to be doing a play by post or virtual table set-up for this game before the start of February. I still need to talk to the other creator before I can finalize anything, but if you'd like to take part, let me know.

Ugly(ish) PDF exports of the game data can be created pretty quickly, and Viladin has made the very friendly offer of hosting them for us. I'll have more details over the next week, and the current version of class descriptions, spell lists, and other basics of the game will be hosted well before the end of the month, potentially in the next few days.

If you do wish to be involved, please specify if you only have time for a play-by-post or if you could do a weekly active session. The game is optimally balanced for 4 people, but going at it with 5 or 6 is possible as well.

Nihilarian
2011-01-18, 08:25 PM
I'm actually playing FFVIII right now. I've always been a fan of the series, and I am very interested in playing. I have no plans at the moment, and I would very much like to play. I don't have virtual table set up, though I could get it, I think. Play by post is probably better for me.

teslas
2011-01-19, 03:57 PM
Thanks Nihilarian. You're the second person.

Play by posts are a little slow for my taste, but it's very easy to run more than one simultaneously.

Nihilarian
2011-01-19, 08:21 PM
No problem.

I have to admit, it's been a while since I played D&D, and even longer since I played it online. For that matter, the last time I played was 4e. I look forward to the game.

teslas
2011-01-24, 07:39 PM
Somewhat of a bump:

We have found the third player. One or two more desired.

Nihilarian
2011-01-24, 08:55 PM
When are you going to post the pdf?

teslas
2011-01-26, 01:25 AM
Just as soon as we find the last player.

Right now we have DM + 3.

Nihilarian
2011-01-28, 02:43 PM
Bump: Because we need another warrior of light!

teslas
2011-01-28, 09:17 PM
The first set of material is now posted in the first thread. Thanks to Viladin for putting them on the internet for us.

As the enthusiastic Nihilarian stated, one more person with some time on their hands is needed before we can get the party started. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185362) PM me for details if you're interested.

Viladin454
2011-01-30, 01:13 AM
The first set of material is now posted in the first thread. Thanks to Viladin for putting them on the internet for us.

Not a problem, now update the forum I gave ya ;)

teslas
2011-01-31, 03:37 AM
I would if your website was currently working.

By the way: The website is down currently. Sorry for the lack of availability. I don't know how often this happens, but if someone PM's me, I'd be happy to email them the PDFs.

Viladin454
2011-02-01, 12:36 AM
I would if your website was currently working.

By the way: The website is down currently. Sorry for the lack of availability. I don't know how often this happens, but if someone PM's me, I'd be happy to email them the PDFs.

It is working! :P

Timber Faolan
2013-03-27, 05:08 AM
is this still being updated? I'm very interested in it. I love FF1.

teslas
2016-08-12, 04:09 AM
So, all of the tables and posts and all of that that were in this thread, is that all gone now?

This was my only copy of about 1.5 years worth of edits. It's dumb to not take a backup, yes, but the loss of all of that time is pretty devastating.