that a character could create an Anti magic field,
dead magic zone, or wild magic zone and cast through it
somewhat reliably? The area would have to be pretty
sizeable in order to be effective, moreso than the 10'/10'
AMF anyways.
The concept I have is this sorcerer or whatever who
creates an area that messes with casting and magic items,
but he himself is either unaffected by it, or has much less
difficulty than the other characters/monsters dealing with it.
This could mean not even casting at all, but that would be
a great deal of fun for me to have this on the back burner
for my PCs one day. He could just have some Extraordinary
tricks that he does once the field is up causing things
to fizzle/go haywire.

Yora
2011-01-03, 07:35 AM
If it's an NPC, just make up an artifact for him. Just make sure you're not putting the PCs into a fight that will kill all of them without any chance of survival.

Ernir
2011-01-03, 07:59 AM
There are few things in the game more powerful than having a personalized AMF that doesn't screw you out of casting. Seriously, don't do it.

Would the Wild Mage (Complete Arcane) be disruptive enough to the flows of magic around him to realize the concept?

Runestar
2011-01-03, 07:59 AM
Google "Cheater of mystra".

Popertop
2011-01-03, 08:04 AM
It doesn't have to be and AMF specifically, I kind of want
him to be an agent of chaos that just royally ****s up everything
when he's around.

I'll look those up and give you my thoughts

Totally Guy
2011-01-03, 08:07 AM
If it's an NPC, just make up an artifact for him.

But also remember that, eventually, all artefacts somehow end up in the possession of the player characters.

Psyren
2011-01-03, 09:12 AM

Pretty much this, the conniving deific tart.

hamishspence
2011-01-03, 09:19 AM
There's other ways of doing it that aren't so cheesy.

Invoke Magic from Lords of Madness (9th level spell: 1000gp diamond is material component- cast as a swift action- allows you to cast a 4th level or less spell in the antimagic, null magic, or dead magic area.)

There's also spells which, cast outside the field, can affect targets inside it. Conjuration spells such as the Orb spells. Or telekinetically thrusting a dangerous object at the target.

So, being inside an antimagic field doesn't guarantee safety from spells. Not unless you can somehow raise your own defenses inside it as well.

akma
2011-01-03, 01:01 PM
I suggest you ignore the rules. If you want to make him more defeatable, do that in 5 feet distance from him magic works normally, but farther then that it doesn`t.
Also, other things could not work. Maybe the party could know he is coming becuse things will gradually less work as he goes near.

Heliomance
2011-01-03, 01:38 PM

I thought it was the Twice Betrayer of Shar. Which one's that?

Ducklord
2011-01-03, 01:46 PM
I think there's a feat somewhere that allows you to exclude yourself from an AMF. Extraordinary spell aim or something similar.

hamishspence
2011-01-03, 01:51 PM
If you exclude your square- certain area spells will, while the parts covered by the antimagic field don't function- still be able to affect that square.

So- if there's no antimagic field on you- just around you- you're more vulnerable.

Psyren
2011-01-03, 02:02 PM

It's the fan nickname for the feat "Initiate of Mystra". Players with that feat can cast in AMFs - hence, "cheating."

If you exclude your square- certain area spells will, while the parts covered by the antimagic field don't function- still be able to affect that square.

So- if there's no antimagic field on you- just around you- you're more vulnerable.

This is correct. A lightning bolt will, for instance, flash towards you, fade away as it enters your AMF "donut," then suddenly reappear in your square just in time to fry you - as if you weren't protected at all.

Though an advantage to such a strange configuration is that area spells (like fireballs) would have to either be centered on your "live" square or originate outside the torus entirely to affect you.

Urpriest
2011-01-03, 05:37 PM

Cheater of Mystra and Twice Betrayer of Shar use similar tricks. IIRC one is a variant of the other.

Runestar
2011-01-04, 12:54 AM
The twice betrayer is essentially a variant which uses ridiculous backstory to justify dipping 1 lv in shadow adept, usually contradictory given the enmity between Mystra and Shar.

Cheater is the basic stub build, a cleric using initiate of mystra to cast spells in AMF.

LordBlades
2011-01-04, 02:28 AM
The best 2 ways I know of fr pulling off this trick are Extraordinary Spell Aim and Initiate of Mystra.

Also IIRC the Twice Betrayer of Shar is Cheater of Mystra with Reach Spell cheese so that it can persist anything.

Keld Denar
2011-01-04, 03:01 AM
Also IIRC the Twice Betrayer of Shar is Cheater of Mystra with Reach Occular Spell cheese so that it can persist anything.

Fixed for veracity.

Popertop
2011-01-04, 10:34 PM
Are there any spells that create a wild magic or dead magic field?