PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Help With Cleric Spell Selection (3.5)

Chilingsworth
2011-01-03, 07:31 AM
Hello All!

I've recently gotten my fiance into DnD, playing a combat medic cleric. She had to start off with a high-level character off the bat, but has done quite well so far. What I'm hoping to get now is some input on a few pre-built spell lists for her. I had been recomending a list rich in buff spells, but she'd like to try her hand at more offensive roles.
I suggested having three spell-list selections, so she can chose her desired role for the day easily. Basically, a Buffer role, an Offensive role, and a Balanced Role.

As I see it:

Buffer Role: Mass Shield of Faith, Recitation, Mass Resist Energy, Mass Spell Resistence, Mass Deathward, Mass Conviction, Divine Protection, one or more restoration, revivify, and close wounds spells thrown in

Offensive Role: Sound Bursts, Searing Lights, Moon Bolts, Flamestrikes, Righteous Mights, Divine Powers, Bolts of Glory, and Blade Barriers again with a few restoration, revivify, and close wounds thrown in

Balanced: I'm not sure how to do this, other than mixing the other roles up abit.

I guessing I'm overlooking alot of good options. I have the PHB, the Spell Compendium, and all 3.5 Forgotten Realms books available to me. What do you guys think?

EDIT: the character is 16th level, 5th level Combat Medic, 11th level Cleric, with the Strength and Healing Domains, and the Initiate of Illmater feat. Wisdom Score of 27 with spellcasting prodigy

And Thanks for any help you can offer!

Yora
2011-01-03, 07:33 AM
What's the characters level and Wisdom score?

Chilingsworth
2011-01-03, 07:35 AM
What's the characters level and Wisdom score?

edited with relevant info.

Incidentally, the reason I'm not just looking at old threads and the like is that I got a blank page when I searched the forum for "Cleric Spells" ... :smallconfused:

Tried again and got appearently every thread in the forum. Then tried "Cleric Spell Help" and got nothing! :smallconfused:

Also tried searching "cleric guide" and "cleric spell guide," and got either nothing nor every thread in the forum. :smallconfused:

broli
2011-01-03, 09:22 AM
i would add something like hold person or command, in the offensive list.

they are more croud control, or enemy debuffs spell,s but the end result is the same. the enemy will die :P

when you do the balanced, use half buffs, and half damage.

the damage ones, choose the one that does more damage, one without spell resistance, one with each save, and one with no save at all.
having half the spells means no time to test, so she better have an idea what she is fighting before using a spell with SR or save

on the buff side, choose the ones that ALWAYS work, and prepare more than one of those. diversity is going to hurt in the long run.
if you have only one mass shield of faith, it means it can only be used in one fight. and you might no even need death ward that particular day.
now, if you have 2 mass shields then you can protect the party in more than one fight

Ernir
2011-01-03, 09:50 AM
edited with relevant info.

Incidentally, the reason I'm not just looking at old threads and the like is that I got a blank page when I searched the forum for "Cleric Spells" ... :smallconfused:

Tried again and got appearently every thread in the forum. Then tried "Cleric Spell Help" and got nothing! :smallconfused:

Also tried searching "cleric guide" and "cleric spell guide," and got either nothing nor every thread in the forum. :smallconfused:
The most popular Cleric Handbook (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19866830/The_Cleric_Handbook) isn't hosted on this site, that's why you aren't finding it here. :smalltongue:

Cleric spells are a very popular subject, that is why the search result number is so overwhelming.

Hmm. Would you like a table of spells drawn up, or are you just fishing for spell suggestions?

Chilingsworth
2011-01-03, 01:33 PM
The most popular Cleric Handbook (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19866830/The_Cleric_Handbook) isn't hosted on this site, that's why you aren't finding it here. :smalltongue:

Cleric spells are a very popular subject, that is why the search result number is so overwhelming.

Hmm. Would you like a table of spells drawn up, or are you just fishing for spell suggestions?

Thanks for the link!
I'm looking for either table or suggestions. Also, she's one of two clerics in our party. However, it's a party of eight people and our other cleric worships Grumbar (Earthlord/god of rocks) and is better at hitting things with his greathammer than healing. Actually, It's not so much that he's bad at healing as he was being overwhelmed at the shear number of characters to deal with. We're playing in an Undead-heavy campaign with enough uber-turn resistant baddies that no one thinks turning optimization will be worth it in the long run. (better to blast them with bolts of glory, or let our fighter, archer, or wizard kill it.) I'm not mentioning the campagin because I'm not looking for spoilers.

Chilingsworth
2011-01-03, 08:52 PM
I guess my main trouble is that I've only played heal-bot clerics. I strongly enjoy this role (I actually like the Healer class!) So, naturally, I built a heal-bot cleric when I made the character for my fiance. What I'm trying to do now is to tweak her spell selection to allow for more variety. Unfortunately, I'm not confident in which spells are worth spending slots on.

EDIT: The handbook linked above seems to be best suited to building a cleric from scratch, which isn't what I'm trying to do, sadly.

Gnaeus
2011-01-04, 08:04 AM
For the offensive and balanced roles, look for spells that combine attack power and utility.

Summon monster is great at this. You can use the spell like abilities of summons, you can use them for transportation, damage, meat shields, etc.

Other good core ones are Dispel Evil (Attacks, defends, cures enemy enchantments) and Dispel Magic (awesome against enemies who buff themselves, but generally useful).

Runestar
2011-01-04, 08:24 AM
Divine restoration (dungeonscape ACF) lets you spontaneously cast restoration spells (at the expense of one of your domain granted powers).

Buffing: If not already prepared, considered chained greater magic weapons (assuming your party aren't all using +4 weapons), superior resistance, heroes' feast (at start of day), energy immunity, mantle of icy soul, fortunate fate and mass aid (all from spell compendium).

Ernir
2011-01-04, 05:39 PM
One very important question that has been neglected so far... how is the character's metamagic access (or for that matter, all the feats)? Any rods or metamagic cost reducers? Particularly, are there metamagic rods of Extend, Chaining or Quicken available?

Mulling this in my head, I've noticed two things...
The domain slots aren't ever going to change very much. Of levels 1 to 5, you're using the Strength domain spells. At level 6, you're preparing a Heal rather than a Stoneskin. At level 7, Grasping Hand is a generally useful spell, while Regenerate is highly situational. Clenched Fist leaves much to be desired as an offensive spell, you're probably going to be preparing Mass Cure Critical Wounds in that slot all the time.

Also, your 6th level slots are going to be packed. Heal, Heroes' Feast, Superior Resistance [SpC], Energy Immunity [SpC], and Greater Dispel Magic are all going to be competing for the slots. Luckily, you can spontaneously cast Heal. Wouldn't be surprised if you end up using level > 6 slots on that one sometimes.

Runestar
2011-01-04, 06:03 PM
Hopefully, she has extend spell. Extended superior resistance or energy immunity last 2 days, so you can buff, then rest to regain your slots. :smallamused:

Tvtyrant
2011-01-04, 06:09 PM
Balanced would be having the self buff spells and the party buff spells. Then you buff the tar outta everyone and go to town.

You could also make a list of more castery stuff due to your other cleric being a warrior type. SoDs and battlefield control spells are actually really useful. Harm for instance is 75 damage guaranteed, and 300 on a failed save. As a touch attack that means it works in place of a melee attack and has a greater chance to hit. Weaker then a buffed out Clericzilla, but it also doesn't take buff time and fits in a dungeon!

Chilingsworth
2011-01-05, 08:01 AM
Thanks all!
Character Level: 16 (Cleric 11/Combat Medic 5)
Wisdom: 27, effective 29 for bonus spells
Domains: Healing and Strength

As for the character's feat selection:
Luck of Heroes
Spellcaster Prodigy (Wisdom)
Dodge (PrC prereq)
Combat Casting (PrC prereq)
Augment Healing
Initiate of Illmater
Mobility (Combat Medic Bonus Feat)
Mobile Spellcasting

Gabe the Bard
2011-01-05, 11:36 AM
Fortunate Fate is a great 7th-level healing buff from the Spell Compendium. It's basically a contingent Heal spell that goes off when the character is about to die.

If it's an undead-heavy campaign, you might consider some anti-undead spells like Undeath to Death. Holy Word can also destroy undead mooks if they're of a low enough level. And the various Mass Cure spells can all be used as ranged offensive spells against multiple undead creatures.