PDA

View Full Version : Meetup Australasia Meetup I (UPDATED: JAN 20)

Pages : [1] 2

SilverSheriff
2011-01-03, 07:59 AM
Hey guys, I haven't heard anything in regards to the Australasia in the the Playground Meet-up in a while and I thought I'd just make a new thread and see if anyone is still interested.

Here is a copy-paste from the last thread:

Hello all, it's time for the (possibly) first Australasia in the Playground meetup! I'll be organising the main details, although assistance is welcome (and I'll probably need some :smalltongue:).
The current plan is as follows:

- SNIP -

We'll likely be playing a game or two of D&D 3.5 Ed. We may have a set of the Starter Kit avaliable for new players.
The current plan is to stay at a Backpackers hotel in Brisbane (we're still deciding which one). The current deadline to ensure you're coming is February 1st, 2011. We need to plan accommodation and travel, so we must know the exact numbers by this date. This date may change in the future.

GREAT SUCCESS.
[/Borat Voice]

Date: 22-26 April 2011
Time: Friday Afternoon - Tuesday Afternoon
Venue: Banana Benders (http://www.bananabenders.com/), Brisbane
Attended:
[B]*Confirmed*
-Serpentine
-Black_Pants_Guy
-Skeppio
-Rowsen
-Lady Moreta
-Peregrine
-Anuan
-Agamid
-Rawhide

*Possibly Coming*
-Level8Mudcrab
-Cheesegear
-Naoto Shirogane

*Unknown*
-Ruik
-Loopy

*Not Coming*
-Lioness
-Amiel

Melbourne Meet-up (Date to be discussed)
*Confirmed*

*Likely*
- Amiel.
*Possibly Coming*
-Jivundus

Rowsen
2011-01-04, 01:20 AM
Ah cool. I was thinking we needed a new thread. The old one was getting a bit well...old.

I'm still good to attend at this stage.

_Zoot_
2011-01-04, 01:28 AM
I would love to come, but at this point I have nooooo idea how I would go about getting there...

Skeppio
2011-01-04, 01:36 AM
I should still be good to come. Uni holidays are conveniently around the date we've currently got.

Level8Mudcrab
2011-01-04, 02:47 AM
I'd like to come but I'd have to sort out a bunch of stuff first.

Any plans to do another Melbourne Meetup sometime?

Skeppio
2011-01-04, 03:33 AM
It's always possible. We'd just have to find a good time, a good spot to meet up, and something to actually do for the day (I admit, from the previous meet-up, that was totally my fault). :smalltongue:

Lady Moreta
2011-01-04, 03:48 AM
I still have my spreadsheet with dates on it... and the ANZAC Day weekend is the only date that everyone has off, either due to the public holidays or simply being on holiday. And because ANZAC Day is also Easter - Something, we get two public holiday days which makes it easier for the likes of me who has to apply for leave (and I don't have any available at the moment).

The only other option is to wait til summer 2011, but that has it's own problems and quite frankly, I personally would rather not wait that long :smallsmile:

Yeah Peregrine & I are still good to go... :smallsmile:

Cheesegear
2011-01-04, 03:52 AM
I can't guarantee that I'll be turning up anymore. Neither accommodation or travel is an issue for me, so, I'll definitely make it if I can make it. But I wont know until the middle of February sometime.

Amiel
2011-01-04, 03:55 AM
Unfortunately, I don't know if I'm able to make it :(
My Master's will be in full swing by April (having started in early March) and we only have a short break then (which we'll need to write our dissertations); which is totally lame.

I'll definitely would like to go to the Melbourne Meet :)

Lady Moreta
2011-01-04, 04:22 AM
I can't guarantee that I'll be turning up anymore. Neither accommodation or travel is an issue for me, so, I'll definitely make it if I can make it. But I wont know until the middle of February sometime.

The deadline was set for February 1, but if you'll know mid-Feb I'd say that's close enough.

Unfortunately, I don't know if I'm able to make it :(
My Master's will be in full swing by April (having started in early March) and we only have a short break then (which we'll need to write our dissertations); which is totally lame.

I'll definitely would like to go to the Melbourne Meet :)

Awwww, but but... I'll miss you :smallfrown:

How long do you have to do your MA? I took a year and a half to do mine, I find it rather odd that you'd have to get your diss done before the middle of the year... :smallconfused:

There is an outside chance I'd be able to get to a Melbourne meet. In the last conference call training session I had for all the Commerical Assistants at work we got onto the subject of having all of us in Melbourne for the SAS training that we'll need next this year, and to meet each other. We are meant to be talking to our managers to see if we can arrange it, which obviously I haven't done because I'm on holiday.

Having said that, if we do manage to get it arranged, I have no idea when we'd get over. Probably not til February...

And for something to do - are there any swimming pool/adventure park type places in Melbourne? Why don't you go to one of those? get someone to bring a game and muck around like that. For that matter, start a thread asking those who've done these meetups before what they usually do. Get some ideas from those who have experience :smallsmile::smalltongue:

KuReshtin
2011-01-04, 04:58 AM
This is unfair.

Both the US and the Aussie meetups get to have Mods attend in person.
We Britlanders only get Mod attendance by computer linkup (if that).

Also, I want to come. Can anyone please sponsor me with the £1500 I'd need to get there? kthxbai

SilverSheriff
2011-01-09, 05:56 AM
So, I take it everyone on the list is still good as they are?

Skeppio
2011-01-09, 06:03 AM
Suppose so. There's still a few weeks left until the RSVP date. As Lady Moreta mentioned, we could give a bit of leeway. Perhaps we should send out reminders? What do you think?

SilverSheriff
2011-01-09, 06:26 AM
It would certainly be a good idea.

Skeppio
2011-01-09, 06:29 AM
All righty, I'll just take care of that, and fill you in when I get some replies. :smallwink:

Edit: Okay, done.

Serpentine
2011-01-09, 06:40 AM
I am still both willing and able to come. However, depending on how these landlord issues go, there's an excellent chance it won't double as a Finishing Honours Celebration :smallfrown:

Skeppio
2011-01-09, 06:45 AM
Okay, SMEE's definitely not coming, and Lioness is possibly, but most likely not. I'll keep you posted as I get more replies. :smallsmile:

Galileo
2011-01-09, 08:33 AM
If I manage to get a job and save up enough to pay for a flight over, then count me in. If the Melbourne meetup is held later on in the year, I'd be more likely able to attend that.

Skeppio
2011-01-09, 11:08 PM
Ok, Dispozition and Alarra won't be attending, and by extension I can assume neither will Zeb the Troll. Bugger. :smallfrown:

MoonCat
2011-01-09, 11:15 PM
Why is it called Australaisia? I can't help wondering.

Skeppio
2011-01-09, 11:23 PM
Why is it called Australaisia? I can't help wondering.

Because 'Australasia' covers neighbouring nations, such as New Zealand, Indonesia, and the like. And Australia was considered too localised for a nation-based thread, so it was extended to Australasia. :smallsmile:

Then....I'm not too sure why I named it the Australasia Meetup, no reason in particular. Guess I just rolled with the name of the main thread. :smalltongue:

MoonCat
2011-01-09, 11:26 PM
Because 'Australasia' covers neighbouring nations, such as New Zealand, Indonesia, and the like. And Australia was considered too localised for a nation-based thread, so it was extended to Australasia. :smallsmile:

Then....I'm not too sure why I named it the Australasia Meetup, no reason in particular. Guess I just rolled with the name of the main thread. :smalltongue:

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks.

Skeppio
2011-01-10, 02:34 AM
Okay Black_Pants_Guy, we can put Naoto Shirogane down for 'Confirmed'. :smallsmile:

Cheesegear
2011-01-10, 02:56 AM
Okay...So, 22nd of April is the day after I graduate. Fancy that? So, I don't exactly know what I'll be doing that weekend. Either I'll be partying it up with my fellow graduees (that's not a word), or, I'll come see you guys.

I really don't know what I'm doing. Put me down for a Definite Maybe. Once again, transport and accommodation is not a problem.

Lady Moreta
2011-01-10, 03:11 AM

It's because you're Australian, so the name comes more naturally to you because it's got more 'Australia' in it than an other country :smalltongue: That and while the term does cover areas of the Pacific and Indonesia, it does seem to be more frequently used by Australians and New Zealanders.

Okay Black_Pants_Guy, we can put Naoto Shirogane down for 'Confirmed'. :smallsmile:

Really? Yay! :smallbiggrin: Now we just have to talk Amiel into coming :smalltongue:

Okay...So, 22nd of April is the day after I graduate. Fancy that? So, I don't exactly know what I'll be doing that weekend. Either I'll be partying it up with my fellow graduees (that's not a word), or, I'll come see you guys.

I really don't know what I'm doing. Put me down for a Definite Maybe. Once again, transport and accommodation is not a problem.

Come and see us! I'll make cookies :smallbiggrin:

Oh and yeah, Peregrine & I are still coming :smallsmile:

Level8Mudcrab
2011-01-10, 06:32 AM
I'm a possibly for coming. I'll have worked out if I can definately come by the end of the month.

Galileo
2011-01-10, 07:22 AM
Put me down as a possible. I don't know of any conflicts with other things at this stage; getting there is the problem.
Scratch that, there is no way in hell I'll make it there.

Skeppio
2011-01-11, 07:34 AM
Okay, so _Zoot_ probably won't be able to make it, and according to the post above mine, neither will Insanealien. :smallfrown:

Lady Moreta
2011-01-11, 06:34 PM
Alas our numbers are shrinking :smallfrown: Not that I was really expecting Insanealien to be able to make it - flights from NZ are expensive.

And I hate to say it, but - with the flooding in Brisbane right now, would we perhaps be better off finding a new location? Or would the cleanup/restoration be done by then do you think?

Skeppio
2011-01-11, 08:43 PM
And I hate to say it, but - with the flooding in Brisbane right now, would we perhaps be better off finding a new location? Or would the cleanup/restoration be done by then do you think?

Oh hell.... I didn't think of that. :smallsigh::smallfrown:

Lady Moreta
2011-01-11, 09:24 PM
Oh hell.... I didn't think of that. :smallsigh::smallfrown:

I thought of it simply because, while the river is meant to peak tomorrow and then presumably go down from that point - cleanup from events like this can take months - especially since Brisbane isn't used to massive flood events like this.

At the very least we should keep an eye on the news and check the estimates of when they think the cleanup will be complete by. I'd say we'd need to have decided by February at the same time as our 'are you coming' deadline, but I realise that's only a couple of weeks away and there may not be an estimate yet. Bear in mind though, that depending on the location of the backpackers we were looking at, they may be out of action and not know when they're going to be reopening.

The city I went to uni in flooded a couple of years ago, and while it was mostly shops, getting everything back together took weeks and none of the shops really knew when they were going to be back in business. We may find that the accommodation options aren't going to be taking bookings in the near future.

I think two things probably need to be done:

Contact the various backpackers (there's a list in the old thread that Lioness made), and find out if/when they are taking bookings.
Start looking at different cities as alternative options for a location

While I'd love to say come to Perth, I realise that WA is a bit of a hike for everyone and prices are expensive. I hate to say it, because it means more money spent for me (:smalltongue:) but it makes far more sense for Peregrine & I to come over east (since I believe we're the only Perthlings planning to come) than for you guys to all pack up and come over here. Especially as we wouldn't have room to host everyone.

I also think that there needs to be a deadline - if say the backpackers we're looking at aren't taking bookings at present and won't be able to say when they'll start again in mid-February (March at the absolute latest) then it's time to find another place. I'd hate to deprive Brissie of our presence, but for this sort of thing bookings need to be made asap so that other details can be finalised. Quite frankly, I'd rather say we make the decision now so that we can arrange flights - totally selfish on my part, but airfares from Perth are likely to be the most expensive and I would prefer to be able to book flights now rather than have to wait and end up paying more. Also, if we wait too long and then decide that we'll have to move the location - we could end up in trouble with accommodation in other cities since we're looking at the ANZAC/Easter weekend. We could find that we have to postpone the meetup entirely if we can't find accommodation because we left the decision to move too late.

I hate to be a party pooper and a downer, but I've done a lot of travelling and organising of travel/accommodation and I am stilll the primary organiser of functions at work so I have a bit of experience with this sort of thing. I don't want to shove anyone out of the decision making process, but I also realise that to decide things in a committee takes twice as long as if you've just got one or two people making decisions. All this means is that we need to set deadlines earlier than normal to ensure that decisions get made in time. Because in situations like this, experience has taught me that if you need/want others input, you have to force it otherwise you'll get nothing. And when I say force I mean have deadlines and ensure they're stuck to. We won't do ourselves any favours to say 'deadline for decision is mid-Feb' and then not actually make the decision until early March.

What's happening in Queensland is horrible and I really hope that they are able to recover quickly, but it does rather force our hand a little bit. We don't really have the time to um and ahh over this one I'm afraid.

And I'm gonna shut up now... :smallredface:

Skeppio
2011-01-13, 12:56 AM
Okay, ladies and gents. In light of the recent floods, this meetup may still be going ahead as planned. :smallbiggrin: Lady Moreta, Naoto Shirogane and I have been discussing it, and it's looking a bit more optimistic than before. One thing we need to figure out is when the cleanup is estimated to finish. :smallconfused:

Anyhoo, the current attendance list is as follows:

*Confirmed*
-Serpentine
-Black_Pants_Guy
-Skeppio
-Rowsen
-Lady Moreta
-Peregrine
-Naoto Shirogane

*Possibly Coming*
-Level8Mudcrab
-Lioness
-Cheesegear

*Unknown*
-Ruik
-Jivundus
-Loopy
-Rawhide
-Anuan

Lady Moreta
2011-01-13, 01:49 AM
Indeed - in a fit of crazy yesterday I rang the first of the backpackers Lioness researched - they are situated on a hill and are free of flooding. So we have a place to stay at least :smallsmile:

SilverSheriff
2011-01-13, 04:49 AM
Thought I'd just quote my PM to Skeppio here:

My suburb was one of the least affected, the worst that happened was the fact that we were flooded in because we live right next to the ocean on a high-plane.*

I'm not quite sure about the clean-up because I don't watch the news as much as I should, all I know is that the city itself is flooded, and South bank no longer exists, trains are down, a few of the bridges are down, but Fortitude Valley is perfectly fine.

The Mana Bar itself is letting people come in and charge their phones and Laptops, the Internet is currently down to a crawl for those who can still connect, some places don't have electricity or phones working.

*forgive me here, my mind isn't working too well... the point I was trying to make here was that the land around our suburb is swampy and/or runs into ditches making escape pretty much impossible, but we're safe and that is the main thing... I guess.

I'm pretty glad that I stocked up on canned peaches and pears in case an event like this were to transpire. :D

Skeppio
2011-01-13, 04:54 AM
Thanks for the info, Black_Pants_Guy! And glad to hear you're doing okay. :smallsmile:

SilverSheriff
2011-01-13, 05:03 AM
Have we heard from anyone up north? like Rawhide?

Skeppio
2011-01-13, 05:09 AM
Pretty sure I've seen him around the forums today.

SilverSheriff
2011-01-13, 05:11 AM
Good. :smallbiggrin:

Edit: first post updated.

Skeppio
2011-01-14, 06:37 AM
Oh, Black Pants Guy? Amiel replied to the reminder I sent out. Please put him down as 'Possibly Coming' for now. :smallsmile:

Lady Moreta
2011-01-14, 08:21 AM
Oooh I had a thought... dangerous I know.

I saw the time range and it occurred to me... we've got an extra day should we desire it. ANZAC Day is also Easter Monday this year, so we get both Monday and Tuesday as public holidays.

Might be helpful to say that the meetup is til Tuesday but make it clear that if people need to leave on Monday that's fine, but if they want to stay longer that's also fine.

Skeppio
2011-01-14, 08:23 AM
Ooh, interesting. I like the way you think, m'lady Moreta. :smallwink:

Lady Moreta
2011-01-14, 09:17 PM
Ooh, interesting. I like the way you think, m'lady Moreta. :smallwink:

Hey if it involves public holidays at a time when I have no annual leave left, them I'm very aware. Actually, when I only get 4 weeks annual leave a year, I tend to pay attend to when the public holidays are anyway... we're just lucky this year that they coincide so we get a bit extra.

Skeppio
2011-01-19, 09:25 PM
Good news, we can put Anuan down as confirmed for the time being. And Rawhide down for possibly. :smallbiggrin:

SilverSheriff
2011-01-20, 12:14 AM
Done.:smallbiggrin:

Lady Moreta
2011-01-20, 01:22 AM
We need more girls... Lioness, you have to come :smalltongue:

Rawhide
2011-01-20, 02:02 AM
We need more girls... Lioness, you have to come :smalltongue:

Yeah, there's no point in anyone going if Lioness doesn't go.

Ruik
2011-01-20, 02:35 AM
Wow, it has been far too long since I logged in while viewing this site and/or checked my old email where my alerts are sent. :smallsigh:

Sooo without going into too much detail on why, I can't actually say for sure that I will be around in April by the RSVP date. On the flip side, I live on the Sunshine Coast, and have friends in Brisbane, and will be between jobs at that point. So if it is still going to be held in Brisbane, I should at least be able to drop by, if I am around.

Lioness
2011-01-22, 10:24 AM
We could always do it in Adelaide, that way we can try and get some of the SAers to come along too.

:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

YES. Do this now! Adelaide is pretty darn cool...we have a chocolate factory, and a big rocking horse, and the whole delicious wine valley thing.
And a very pretty river *nod* (when it's not polluted :smalltongue:)

Yeah, there's no point in anyone going if Lioness doesn't go.

:smalltongue:

If you hold it in Adelaide, very few things will keep me away.

Jivundus
2011-02-01, 07:01 AM
Unfortunately, I'm busy that whole weekend/time period with stuff so take me off the list. Maybe a later meetup will be nicer.

SilverSheriff
2011-02-01, 08:01 AM
Ok, We've officially reached the cut-off date for the First Australasia in the Playground Meet-up.

Skeppio
2011-02-01, 08:14 PM
Indeed. I think i should send a message to those on the 'possibly' section, to see if they've decided or not.

Level8Mudcrab
2011-02-01, 09:21 PM
Doesn't look like I'd be able to come to the meetup.

Skeppio
2011-02-01, 09:25 PM
Doesn't look like I'd be able to come to the meetup.

Aww... bummer. :smallfrown:
Maybe next time there's a Melbourne Meet-up? :smallsmile:

Level8Mudcrab
2011-02-01, 11:48 PM
Aww... bummer. :smallfrown:
Maybe next time there's a Melbourne Meet-up? :smallsmile:

Yeah, I'd probably be able to go to a Melbourne one.

loopy
2011-02-02, 12:08 AM
Hello all. As you probably guessed from my complete lack of comment here, I won't be making it to either meetup.

Unfortunately at the moment I'm just too poor to travel out of state. Have to save for a bond for a new apartment, as I have to move out of my old one.

I also have to save up for surgery on my finger, which will likely be fun.

Anyway, have fun at the meetup, and give me a yell if you are ever in Sydney. :smallsmile:

Skeppio
2011-02-02, 02:41 AM
No problem loopy. Good luck with the apartment, and I hope your surgery goes well.

Black_Pants_Guy, I think I should ask, what's the current situation with the cyclone up there? More importantly, are you safe up there? Same question to you too Rawhide. Are you okay up there? :smalleek:

SilverSheriff
2011-02-02, 04:17 AM
I'm fine, it hasn't even started raining here yet.

Skeppio
2011-02-02, 04:23 AM
I'm fine, it hasn't even started raining here yet.

Oh, that's good news. Glad to hear it. :smallsmile:

Lady Moreta
2011-02-02, 04:59 AM
Yeah, from what I get from the BoM website Yasi is further north than Brisbane...

SilverSheriff
2011-02-02, 06:38 AM
It's closer to the Northern tip.

Skeppio
2011-02-03, 09:32 PM
Just got a reply. Looks like Lioness won't be coming either. :smallfrown:

SilverSheriff
2011-02-04, 09:52 AM
Ok.:smallfrown:

Skeppio
2011-02-05, 09:18 AM
Another reply. Doesn't look like Rawhide will be able to join us either. :smallfrown:

EDIT: Amiel won't be able to make it either. He'll be busy at Uni around that date. Good luck, Amiel. :smallsmile:

lothos
2011-02-06, 07:54 AM
Hi,
I'm pretty certain I wont be attending the Brisbane meetup, but I hope you all have a great time.

If we do another Melbourne one, Ill try to attend. I'm also in Sydney from time to time for my job, so that's possible if there is ever a meeting there.

Cheers.

drakir_nosslin
2011-02-06, 11:11 AM
Just passing by to say that I'll probably be in Australia from around September and forward about a year or more, so if there's a meetup around then, I'll try to join.
Have a great meetup fellow forumgoers!!

Ruik
2011-02-08, 03:39 AM
So yeah... I still don't know? I know there is an RSVP date for this and all, but I simply don't know if I'll be in NSW for the month at this stage. As previously stated I live on the Sunshine Coast, and am between jobs, so if I'm in QLD, I will have no trouble attending.

It's a pain not being able to say yay or nay, but there you go...

Lady Moreta
2011-03-04, 02:44 AM
Guess what I did today? :smallbiggrin:

Booked us a backpackers (http://www.bananabenders.com/) :smallbiggrin:

I decided not to bother leaving it open for debate because we'd never be able to make up our minds... I picked these guys mostly off their website, which is far and away the best of the lot. But also because this is the place I rang when Brisbane got flooded and the guy who answered the phone was really good and awesome.

I have put through the request and they'll get back to me to finalise the booking. I also intend to arrange for a hire van - we should hopefully be able to get one to fit everyone. To that end, it'd be good if we could have more than one person able to drive. If you are happy to share in the driving, please let me know. Once I find the best rates I'll let everyone know what they need to provide to get on the list of approved drivers (off the top of my head, it'll probably be a copy of your drivers license).

Yay! I now feel accomplished! :smallbiggrin:

Skeppio
2011-03-04, 02:52 AM
Thank you so much, Moreta! :smallbiggrin: Is there a phrase I can use to describe you that's better than 'the bestest'?

Man, how am I gonna be able to repay you for all your help? :smalltongue:

SilverSheriff
2011-03-05, 04:35 AM
YAY! :smallbiggrin:

I am very much looking forward to this.:smallbiggrin:

Serpentine
2011-03-05, 07:16 AM
Aw boo, so many not coming :smallfrown: How many ARE coming...?

Also: Yay backpackers!

Lady Moreta
2011-03-05, 08:02 AM
Aw boo, so many not coming :smallfrown: How many ARE coming...

8 in total. Which may turn out to be for the best for a first attempt in the long run. Means at least we can get one van for transport.

On that note, I talked to Peregrine and we're happy to use our credit card to cover accommodation and car hire, but we'll need to find a way to share the cost between us all. I love you guys, but we don't have enough money to cover everything.

The other thing I was thinking of was flights. We'll arrange to pick up the car from the airport and it ocurred to me that the best thing to do is try to arrange everyone to arrive within say an hour or two. If we can get flights that arrive as close together as possible the best thing to do will be for those who get in first to hang around the airport and then we can all go to the backpackers together.

Otherwise, the email I got from the backpackers said there's a shuttle we can catch for $15 per person. It's just an idea... I personally have no problems in hanging around the airport to wait for everyone else to arrive, but I realise not everyone might like that idea. Either way, those who are coming need to get onto flights asap, both before prices go up too high and also because it's a long weekend and they may fill up faster.

Ooh, also (sorry last one) - since it's ANZAC Day, do we want to go to an ANZAC service? and if so, would someone else mind doing the research? Thanks :smallsmile:

Skeppio
2011-03-05, 09:07 AM
I'm happy and able to help with any costs, Moreta. Just give me a run-down of what you need me to do. :smallsmile:
Also, what time do you think we should assemble at? Currently we've got April 22nd afternoon. Got a specific timeframe in mind?
I'm cool for going to an ANZAC Day service. Here's a link to the Brisbane ANZAC Day Service info. (http://www.ourbrisbane.com/whats-on/anzac-day-brisbane)
Have we decided what we want to do during our stay in Brisbane? I think we had the tools for a D&D game or two, but I forget who said that (Rowsen and I have the Starter's Kit for any playgrounders new to the game). Not sure what else was planned.... the Mana Bar, right?

Serpentine
2011-03-05, 09:08 AM
If we're booking beds, maybe I should have another look at the Dreamworld deals...

edit: Aw... If we had more than 20 people we could get discount tickets :smallfrown:

Hokay, World Pass (WhiteWater World and Dreamworld): 1 day $89 adult (we're all adults, aren't we?), 2 day $109, limited time online-booked World Pass (http://www.dreamworld.com.au/Visitor-Information/$69-Summer-Pass.aspx) $69 (though I'm not sure what "free early entry" refers to).
At the moment (limited time only!) I can afford to pay for 8 people, assuming I'll get paid back for most of it. I'd only do it if we're guaranteed to do it, though.

Lady Moreta
2011-03-05, 10:29 PM
Hokay, World Pass (WhiteWater World and Dreamworld): 1 day $89 adult (we're all adults, aren't we?), 2 day $109, limited time online-booked World Pass (http://www.dreamworld.com.au/Visitor-Information/$69-Summer-Pass.aspx) $69 (though I'm not sure what "free early entry" refers to).
At the moment (limited time only!) I can afford to pay for 8 people, assuming I'll get paid back for most of it. I'd only do it if we're guaranteed to do it, though.

$69 tickets sound good to me... I believe the early entry means that people with these tickets can enter the park at 9am and so get in before the crowds for the rides. Normal entry isn't til 10am so we get an extra hour before the hordes show up.

Basically it seems to be saying that we can get in an hour before the parks open. Works for me! And it's much cheaper than other options :smallbiggrin:

EDIT OF THE IMPORTANT KIND:

Nice and big and bold for emphasis.

Okay people I have a problem - our flight options, due to cost etc are limited to one that arrives at 5:20am and one that arrives at 3:50pm. To pick the flight I need to know what we plan on doing Friday night. If the plan is to hang around the backpackers and play D&D then the later flight will be fine. If the plan is to go out then I'd rather get there earlier and have a nap during the day.

It also depends on others planned arrival times.

I hate to be a nuisance, but flights are filling up fast and we can't afford to pay any more than the $339 tickets that are currently available. Please everyone, weigh in on

When you're likely to arrive
What you'd like to do Friday night

I hate to be a grumpy old coot, but I need to know what the consensus is by tonight so I can book our flights.

Edit again: thought it might be helpful to include the flight times available to us over here. We have one flight that gets to Brissie at 5:20am and one that arrives at 3:50pm... hence my dilemma. If we want to stay in and play games then the later flight will be okay. If the plan is to get out and about right from day one then the earlier flight will be better and I can have a nap at some point during the day :smalltongue:

Sorry again to be a pain, but I really need to know asap...

Skeppio
2011-03-05, 11:21 PM
Personally I'd prefer the later of the two. I can get a flight that gets to Brisbane at 16:15 pretty cheap. Plus it's the earliest I can get in on the 22nd.
And I definitely approve of Serp's plan. :smallbiggrin:

Serpentine
2011-03-06, 12:28 AM
I can, quite literally, get there at any time. Both my jobs are only casual, so as long as I give them notice I can ditch it any time (just means I miss out on some monies), and I don't have any classes I have to attend for my (oh so very overdue :smallsigh:) Honours. I'll probably get to the Gold Coast a day or two ahead, and stay at my dad's. You tell me when and where we're meeting, and I'll arrange to get there - either by getting a lift with dad if he's available, or training it. And then, afterwards, I'll probably stay with dad for another day or two before making my way home again (usually by bus, which sucks, so if anyone's travelling southward...).

Lady Moreta
2011-03-06, 09:01 AM
Okay... we'll go for the later flight then. It will make life much easier for us, it'll mean we can get to the airport by bus if we can't find friends to give us a lift (which could be tricky since it seems we're all going away that weekend anyway).

Return flight - after discussing it with my man, we'll be catching a flight that leaves at 9:15am (the only other option was one that leaves at 8:15pm but it doesn't arrive in Perth til 11:45pm and that's just too late, since we'll be relying on public transport to get home). Will just require coordination since the hire car is gonna end up under our name and we'll have to drop it back at the airport on the way home.

Grrr... okay will have to wait to book tickets. It's wanting names as they appear on your passport and I don't have a valid passport right now, it expired last year and I haven't renewed it yet... :smalleek: but as far as I know you don't need a passport to travel domestic, unless they want it for ID purposes, so I'll have to ring and check tomorrow. Blah...

Rettu Skcollob
2011-03-06, 10:08 AM
Sadly I am on the other side of the continent. :C

Serpentine
2011-03-06, 10:11 AM
So's Lady Moreta :smalltongue:

Rettu Skcollob
2011-03-06, 10:14 AM

But I am le poor. :smallfrown:

Rawhide
2011-03-06, 10:18 AM
Before you book your flight Lady Moreta, check international. Sometimes it's cheaper to cross the country by flying via Singapore.

Lady Moreta
2011-03-06, 08:59 PM

Exactly :smalltongue:

But I am le poor. :smallfrown:

So am I! I mean we... so are we... :smalltongue: this trip will probably be paid for via savings...

Before you book your flight Lady Moreta, check international. Sometimes it's cheaper to cross the country by flying via Singapore.

That could be a problem... my passport expired last year and I haven't gotten around to renewing it yet (mostly because it's an NZ passport and it's a pain in the ass to sort out). That and I'm not sure I want to fly via Singapore anyway...

Lady Moreta
2011-03-07, 05:09 AM
Blah. Just count me out of this. My financial situation is still up in the air so I have no guarantee I'll be able to get there and it would be easier for everyone else to book things without having a "maybe" in the group.

You know, my first instinct is to go "don't worry about it, we'll pay for you!" but for once I'm not going to. Partly because I know you'll say no and partly because, for once, I'm going to be honest and admit that we couldn't afford to anyway.

And on that note... everything I said before about flights? Yeah, forget it...

I talked with Peregrine and he decide that cheaper was best for flights and that he'd rather arrive in the morning anyway... So on that note, below are the flights we have (and these are final, I just booked them online)

Perth to Brisbane:
DJ473
Departs: 2300
Arrives: 0520

Brisbane to Perth
DJ474
Departs: 2015
Arrives: 2345

Okay, scratch that... slight problem with the flight over. Due to Virgin being idiots, they never specified that the flight over actually arrives Saturday morning. I had assumed it left 2300 Thursday and got in Friday morning like I'm used to. Yeah, no... Peregrine is going to call Virgin and try to sort it out... stupid website...

Serpentine
2011-03-07, 07:34 AM
Don't rule it out completely, though. We can plan assuming you can't come, and then accommodate you if you do, I'm sure. It'll just be a bit more expensive...

Speaking of which, I'll intend to buy the Dreamworld tickets next weekend. How many should I get?

Lady Moreta
2011-03-07, 08:46 PM
Just like how I don't have to ask if you're mad at me, huh?

Yes... I know you :smallsmile::smalltongue:

Don't rule it out completely, though. We can plan assuming you can't come, and then accommodate you if you do, I'm sure. It'll just be a bit more expensive...

Exactly. Things are flexible enough to sort something out.

Serpentine
2011-03-07, 10:05 PM
Oh Em Gee youse guise, I forgot a perfect activity for us! :O Ripley's Believe It Or Not Museum (http://surfersparadise.ripleys.com/#)! Tickets are $19.90 for adults ($17.90 if we buy them online). If we had 10 or more people it'd be $17.50, but anyways.
If we wanted to make a day of Gold Coast, there's also things like mini golf and something called Infinity in the area. Infinity's (http://www.infinitygc.com.au/) pretty fun, sort of a (very linear...) maze full of mirrors and blacklights and stuff. More expensive than Ripley's - $24.90 for adults.

Skeppio
2011-03-07, 11:26 PM
Sounds awesome, Serps! :smallbiggrin:

Lady Moreta
2011-03-08, 03:46 AM
That does sound awesome, well found :smallbiggrin:

In other news, it looks like we'll be changing our flights from my original screw-up to the flight that arrives at 3:50pm...

So if we all try to have flights that get in on or around 4pm we should be able to congregate in the airport and head out to the backpackers together. For those of us arriving by plane that is. Serps can just meet us at the backpackers or something since she'll already be there.

I was planning to get up a master list of everyone who's coming and a mobile number for everyone for the weekend so we can stay in touch. That way I can let you know Serps, when we leave the airport so you have a rough idea of how far away we are... or something...

Serpentine
2011-03-08, 04:44 AM
Yeah, that'll be good.
By the way, my Boy's considering coming :3 Hope that's alright... He's pretty nerdy.
To get it straight: Your plane to Brisbane will arrive there at 3.50pm on Friday the 22nd of April, from whence you will head straight to the backpackers you've already booked rooms in. Correct?

Skeppio
2011-03-08, 04:50 AM
By the way, my Boy's considering coming :3 Hope that's alright... He's pretty nerdy.

Awesome! The more, the merrier! :smallbiggrin:

Incidently, my plane (with Rowsen) will get in at 4:15pm on the 22nd. We'll probably head straight to the backpackers, unless you guys wants to meet up at the airport instead.

Serpentine
2011-03-08, 05:08 AM
Huh... There's a train that goes straight from the Gold Coast to the airport. Get in there at 3.30 or 4pm. Might be able to meet you guys there...

Lady Moreta
2011-03-08, 05:33 AM
Yeah, that'll be good.

Sure, why not? :smallbiggrin:

To get it straight: Your plane to Brisbane will arrive there at 3.50pm on Friday the 22nd of April, from whence you will head straight to the backpackers you've already booked rooms in. Correct?

My plan: get to airport at 3:50pm - if there is anyone else arriving within roughly an hours time, wait for them to arrive and head to the backpackers en masse. The hire car will be in our name (haven't done it yet) so we'll have to pick that up from the airport and since the hire car is likely to be a van I figured we might as well back as many into it as we can and save ourselves taxi/bus fares.

Awesome! The more, the merrier! :smallbiggrin:

Incidently, my plane (with Rowsen) will get in at 4:15pm on the 22nd. We'll probably head straight to the backpackers, unless you guys wants to meet up at the airport instead.

Here's a nice example... that's close enough to our arrival time (and Peregrine just confirmed that he changed our flights) that we'll wait for you at the airport, then we can all head to the backpackers together. There is a shuttle that runs for $15/person, but if we have to take the hire car/van we might as well wait for you and give you a lift so you can save your monies :smallsmile:

Edit: Before I forget to ask for the umpteenth time... it occurred to me, Black_Pants_Guy -- you already live in Brisbane. Do you want to spend the weekend at the backpackers with us and come around with us in the car/van? or would you prefer to stay at home and use your own transport? I ask because thus far I have included you in all bookings and the count of people we have for figuring out how many seats in the hire vehicle we need. Obviously if you're not going to use either of those I need to let the backpackers know we're down a few people and can adjust the numbers for the car. And also take you out of my calculations for how much each person pays. If you're not going to stay with us/be in the car then obviously I'm not going to ask you to pay for it. :smallsmile:

SilverSheriff
2011-03-08, 10:05 PM
I'd be more than willing to chip-in for the Car/Van. It'd also be a lot easier on everyone if I stayed with you guys at the back-packers, seeing as it takes me about half-an-hour to 45 minutes to get to Roma street Station from the Bayside suburbs, precious time that could be spent hanging out and having fun. Just let me know how much I'll need to spend.

Lady Moreta
2011-03-08, 11:21 PM
I'd be more than willing to chip-in for the Car/Van. It'd also be a lot easier on everyone if I stayed with you guys at the back-packers, seeing as it takes me about half-an-hour to 45 minutes to get to Roma street Station from the Bayside suburbs, precious time that could be spent hanging out and having fun. Just let me know how much I'll need to spend.

Cool :smallbiggrin:

I plan to do up some sort of spreadsheety thing to keep track of costs... just haven't done it yet :smalltongue: and I need to check with the backpackers how much it'll actually be in total... might help...

SilverSheriff
2011-03-09, 02:21 AM
I was just wondering, how is everyone going to handle food? :confused:

Lady Moreta
2011-03-09, 02:49 AM
I was just wondering, how is everyone going to handle food? :confused:

I thought of that :smalltongue:

I was going to impose on you to gather breakfast supplies (bread/cereal/etc) and we could then all chip in to pay you back for it. I figured it's highly likely the only meal we're going to be at the backpackers for is breakfast, so if we have communal food for that and then everyone just has enough on hand to buy lunch/dinner we'll be set. This works even if we got to a place for a meal that doesn't have separate billing. One person can pay and we can each pay them back.

After the weekend you can just keep whatever's left over (or we can leave them at the backpackers free to a good home, I'm sure it'd be appreciated).

My first thought was to suggest we each bring something with us, then I thought how incredibly annoying it would be to have to lug a loaf of bread with us from Perth. So I changed my mind :smalltongue: If you're okay with it, it'll save us time & a fair bit of effort - in that we won't have to get there and then immediately go out and find a supermarket to get something from.

And of course, if there's anything anyone really desperately wants, but no one else is really keen on they can bring it with them. I can't survive without my morning cup of tea, but if no one else is a tea drinker, I'll just bring a bunch of teabags so no one gets stuck with a box they don't want.

SilverSheriff
2011-03-09, 03:49 AM
so 2 loaves of bread, 2-3 spreads, 2-3 litre milk, and some sort of cereal?

Lady Moreta
2011-03-09, 03:56 AM
so 2 loaves of bread, 2-3 spreads, 2-3 litre milk, and some sort of cereal?

Something like that :smallsmile: We really need an idea from everyone of what they generally eat for breakfast (if they eat it at all :smalltongue:) and how much thereof. Not much point getting one box of weet-bix if someone regularly has 7 each morning :smalltongue: we'd go through them rather fast...

SilverSheriff
2011-03-09, 04:54 AM
If anyone has any requests: feel free to ask.

Rowsen
2011-03-09, 06:09 AM
I don't eat much. I should be able to deal with my own food.

However, if you're willing to split the teabags...:smallbiggrin:

Lady Moreta
2011-03-09, 07:41 PM
I don't eat much. I should be able to deal with my own food.

However, if you're willing to split the teabags...:smallbiggrin:

I'm gonna be a meanie and put my foot down on this one. Either we all chip in and do food together or we each do it separately. It's too confusing and too complicated if some go in together and others are doing their own thing. And in the long run, everyone chipping in should work out cheaper.

The teabag thing was just if I was the only one who wanted it. If there are only two of us interested, then yeah, I'll probably just bring a bunch with me instead of having to buy an entire box. If a few/most of us are interested then it could be worth getting a small box. Depends on how much tea people are likely to drink. I have a set limit of no more than 2 cups a day, and if we're going to be out a lot, I'll probably only drink one at breakfast. Maybe I'll just arbitrarily decide that I shall supply teabags... the only real options are to get one of those little 10-bag boxes (not enough) and the next size up is the 50-box one which I think would be too big.

I'm overthinking this aren't I?

SilverSheriff
2011-03-10, 02:49 AM
I was planning to buy teabags. Tea is the one beverage that everyone can enjoy.:smallbiggrin:

Lady Moreta
2011-03-10, 02:57 AM
I'm used to being the only tea-drinker among my friends. I forget that there are others in the world who drink it :smalltongue:

edit: in that case, don't forget the sugar :smalltongue:

SilverSheriff
2011-03-10, 03:00 AM
I won't.:smallcool:

SilverSheriff
2011-03-12, 07:42 AM
Does anybody have any dietary requirements?

Serpentine
2011-03-12, 09:08 AM
Yes.
I require chokkits.

Rawhide
2011-03-12, 09:10 AM
I'm on a seafood diet. See food and eat it.

SilverSheriff
2011-03-12, 10:01 AM
Yes.
I require chokkits.

For Breakfast?:confused:

Serpentine
2011-03-12, 10:08 AM
Cocoa Pops.

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2011/2/15/add20a1d-3411-4bf5-a007-a472beadf716.jpg

edit: I'd like a headcount of number of Dreamworld tickets I should buy, please.

SilverSheriff
2011-03-13, 06:19 AM
I'll go. :filler text:

Skeppio
2011-03-13, 06:27 AM
Count me in! :smallbiggrin:

Serpentine
2011-03-14, 07:35 AM
Still want more...
Potential problem: The Terms and Conditions for the tickets say "•Pass is not transferable, cannot be sold, cannot be given to anyone else to be used, is not redeemable for cash and cannot be used with any other offer." I'm asking about it, but I believe this means that they can't be used... unless I'm there with you to show my ID. So, I guess, if you want to be able to use your ticket again, you'll have to buy your own... :/
Now. My Boy won't be able to come to the meet-up, except maybe the Monday. He may come after, though, to stay with my dad for a few days. I was thinking I might take a few of the tickets back - mine, and one for my Boy, dad, and I guess his girlfriend (:smallsigh:). In that case, I guess I won't ask to be paid back for those tickets seeing as I'll be using them again. Maybe everyone could divide up the cost for the rest amongst yourselves, make it cheaper overall?
Blegh, I dunno. Dot-point summary to make it make sense:
- Boy's not coming.
- Boy may come afterwards.
- I was thinking of going with said Boy and family to Dreamworld.
- Doing so would require me to keep a couple of the tickets, presumably from the people who are coming from a long way off and thereby won't have another chance to use it before it expires.
- Might not be an issue anyway, as I might need to be present for the use of any tickets I purchase, rendering them useless after the meet-up.
- Any ticket I keep I wouldn't expect to be paid back for.

Side-note: no interest in Dracula's Cabaret Restaurant, right?

SilverSheriff
2011-03-14, 09:48 AM
...no interest in Dracula's Cabaret Restaurant, right?

I'm interested in doing a bit of everything, but there isn't much point if nobody else is.:smallfrown:

Lady Moreta
2011-03-14, 09:02 PM
Doing so would require me to keep a couple of the tickets, presumably from the people who are coming from a long way off and thereby won't have another chance to use it before it expires.

How long are the tickets valid for?

I still actually have to talk to Peregrine about it (I can't see him saying no though) but I'm happy for you to keep our tickets after the event. I can't see us coming back to Brisbane any time soon.

Side-note: no interest in Dracula's Cabaret Restaurant, right?

I can confirm Peregrine and I aren't interested... sorry to be party poopers...

Serpentine
2011-03-15, 06:40 AM
Right, got this response:

You can purchase as many tickets as you wish for the $69 unlimited pass. Once you have redeemed it
and entered the parks you must turn them into a pass with your photo on that day. We will print you out the pass with your photo, name & passport number.
This is not transferable to anyone else.
If you buy multiple tickets you may give them to anyone as they only become a pass when you have the photo etc taken.
If the photo is not taken on the day then it is essentially just a one day ticket to both parks that won't be valid any other day after entry.

So, no taking back tickets, then :smallsigh:

SilverSheriff
2011-03-15, 08:36 AM
This is my Shopping List so far:

Bread Loaves x2
Butter and/or Margerine.
Hazelnut Spread
Jam (Strawberry or Raspberry?)
Honey
Milk, x2 Litres
Tea (English Breakfast or Earl Grey?)
Cereals x2 (Coco Pops and.....?)
Tooth brush 2 pack (someone always forgets to bring their tooth brush)
Toothpaste?

Serpentine
2011-03-15, 09:03 AM
I was actually kidding about the cocoa pops :smalltongue: Not that I mind, it'd be a nice treat... I usually have Weetbix, though.

Lady Moreta
2011-03-15, 08:44 PM
Right, got this response:
So, no taking back tickets, then :smallsigh:

Awww, that sucks. I was quite happy for you guys to take them and have some more fun. :smallfrown:

This is my Shopping List so far:

Bread Loaves x2
Butter and/or Margerine.
Hazelnut Spread
Honey
Milk, x2 Litres
Tea (English Breakfast or Earl Grey?)
Cereals x2 (Coco Pops and.....?)
Tooth brush 2 pack (someone always forgets to bring their tooth brush)
Toothpaste?

One question - do you mean one 2L milk or two 2L milk? 'cause 4L might be a tad much...

Cereal... well I'm not a cereal drinker (drinker? :smallconfused:) eater so I should probably keep my nose out of it. I know Peregrine has Uncle Toby's Fruity Bite or whatever they're called (fruit in wheat parcels) they're quite nice and pretty generic. I'm not a cereal fan or a fruit fan and I like these (I am a horribly fussy eater for the record).

Toothbrushes is a fantastic idea! but I wouldn't worry about toothpaste - I think it'd be quite hard for all of us to forget toothpaste and that at least is something we can share.

Serpentine
2011-03-15, 09:55 PM
I quite like Fruity Bites too. Upon reflection, there isn't that much cereal I really don't like, so I'm pretty good with whatever. As long as it doesn't have blackcurrant :smallyuk:
Juice would be nice to have, but I'm fairly fussy about it* so it might be better to get my own.

*Not apple, not blackcurrant, not entirely pineapple, no added sugar, preferably no preservatives, 100% preferably nonreconstituted (but I'll live with that) juice.

Lady Moreta
2011-03-15, 10:54 PM
Well, I know what to get you for your birthday :smalltongue: A juicer and a large supply of fruit :smallbiggrin:

I'm not a fruit juice drinker (unless it's Peregrine's freshly juiced orange and pineapple mix with lemonade, that's just yummy) so I'll let those of you who are fight it out. Peregrine is a huge juice junkie, but he's not fussy about it, so it's probably easier if you pick.

Serpentine
2011-03-15, 10:55 PM
Tasty tip: Fresh peaches (very ripe), plums, a drizzle of homemade mixed berry sauce, milk, blender = most delicious smoothie ever P:

FlashRah
2011-03-16, 03:01 PM
Shame you set the new date for when you did. I got Bob Dylan 'round that time and with nothing but respect for you folks, I'm sure you're lovely people, I think I'd prefer to go see my idol.

Lady Moreta
2011-03-16, 09:25 PM
Perfectly understandable. Have fun :smallbiggrin:

Has anyone heard from Anuan? He's on the confirmed list, but he hasn't been weighing in on anything, I just want to make sure he's still coming :smallsmile:

Lioness
2011-03-17, 09:28 AM
Perfectly understandable. Have fun :smallbiggrin:

Has anyone heard from Anuan? He's on the confirmed list, but he hasn't been weighing in on anything, I just want to make sure he's still coming :smallsmile:

I haven't seen him around the forums much...I'll give him a poke via off-forum methods.

SilverSheriff
2011-03-20, 02:53 AM
One question - do you mean one 2L milk or two 2L milk? 'cause 4L might be a tad much... I mean one 2L milk.

Toothbrushes is a fantastic idea! but I wouldn't worry about toothpaste - I think it'd be quite hard for all of us to forget toothpaste and that at least is something we can share.

Ok, I'll cross toothpaste off of the list then.:smallsmile:

Shopping List:

Bread Loaves x2
Butter and/or Margerine.
Vegemite
Honey
Milk, 2L
Tea (Earl Grey)
Cereals x2
Tooth brush 2 pack

I just thought I'd mention that Bread could be used for toast if the Backpacker's has a toaster we could use.

Lady Moreta
2011-03-20, 07:53 AM
Bread = toast, yes I'd assumed as much :smalltongue:

Also, might I suggest swapping one of the three spreads for something savoury? all three you've got listed are sweet, and I don't know about anyone else, but I'd prefer a savoury option as well.

Personally, I'd swap the hazelnut spread for vegemite, but that's just me.

SilverSheriff
2011-03-20, 08:12 AM
done.:smallbiggrin:

Serpentine
2011-03-29, 03:50 AM
How many of us are definitely, absolutely, no-question-about-it going?

Skeppio
2011-03-29, 03:54 AM
Both Rowsen and myself are confirmed and all set to go! :smallbiggrin:

Lady Moreta
2011-03-29, 08:41 PM
As far as I know, everyone on the confirmed list is absolutely confirmed except Anuan. Him I haven't heard anything from and he hasn't been in the thread either - which doesn't necessarily mean he's not coming of course.

Skep, you've been doing all the contacting lately, do you want to send him a PM and find out if he's definitely coming or not?

Black_Pants_Guy asked about getting an estimate of how much this is all gonna cost - unfortunately, to get an estimate from the backpackers I need to confirm numbers and I can't do that unless we know for sure what Anuan is doing. There's also not much point in getting a hire car unless we know for sure how many people we need to transport.

One other question I meant to ask - was the plan still to go to the Mana Bar? I got the feeling earlier that bookings are required for that place, so if we still wanna go, we'll need to get on and make a booking.

Skeppio
2011-03-29, 08:44 PM
Sure, I'll send him a PM.

As for the Mana Bar, how's Saturday sound? Since most of us will be arriving on the Friday afternoon, is all. I'm still interested in going.

Ruik
2011-03-29, 08:49 PM
The couple of times I have been to the Mana Bar you can just line up to go in - no list required. The only thing is the place is really just a hole in the wall, so you can sometimes be stuck in the line for awhile waiting for people to come out before you get in. Same as any club I know, just remember that it's tinyyyy :smallwink:

Agamid
2011-04-02, 04:18 AM
oh man... so. want. to. attend.

curses! why couldn't the brisbane meet-up be 2 weeks later when i move back to brisbane?

sorely tempted to fly up just for the meet-up... have work saturday and sunday... sorely tempted to take those shifts off but need money... but want to go to manabar... oh :(

put me as a maybe. I will have no lizards with me though as i'll have to fly up.

edit: also, as someone really late to the party, do we have an itinerary? if i know what's happening on what days it will be easier for me to decide on my own plans.

Serpentine
2011-04-03, 04:37 AM
There's things we know we want to do - Mana Bar (first night, I think?), Dreamworld, I believe Infinity and Ripley's Believe It Or Not Museum - but I don't know if we've got plans for particular days for them. I do think Dreamworld will be a full-day event, though.
Shall I buy, say, 7 tickets? Me, Peregrine, Moreta, Rowsen, Skeppio, Black Pants Guy... Extra for my Boy and maybe my dad and his girlfriend, but that'll be afterwards. So that's 6, is there anyone else definitely coming?
Note: if I don't get the ticket for you because you're a maybe, that doesn't mean you can't come. It just means we'll have to get it later, which may cost extra if we can't get it online, but 'sallgood.
edit: Tickets to Dreamworld, that is.

Skeppio
2011-04-03, 04:46 AM
Sounds like a plan Serps. I still haven't heard back from Anuan, so I dunno if you want to add a ticket for him or not at this stage. :smallconfused:

Agamid
2011-04-03, 05:39 AM
There's things we know we want to do - Mana Bar (first night, I think?).

if mana bar is first night then i will do my best to make! i may only be able to fly up for a 48 (or less) hour visit so i can be back at work saturday night.
i just don't want to make the effort to be there friday and find nothing is going on, but would looooove to come up and meet everyone (especially serpy!) and it would be a good excuse to see my boyfriend early (haven't seen him since october and no plans to see him to the 28th).

Serpentine
2011-04-03, 05:44 AM
Yay! :biggrin: I'd be really pleased if you can come. I'm sure Mana Bar wouldn't have to be a one-off thing, too :smallamused:
Couldn't talk 'em into Dracula's, though :smallfrown:
Let me know how certain it is that you'll make it, and I'll buy you a Dreamworld ticket ($69 online). Speaking of which: I will (really, truly, actually) buy them tomorrow, based on the number of people I know will be coming.

Agamid
2011-04-03, 06:14 AM
is dreamworld happening on the saturday?

and i will stay at my mum's, brother's, other brother's, sister's, best friend's or boyfriend's place, so don't worry about me and the backpackers... i'd not want to inflict my dietary requirements on anyone's shopping or cooking.

Serpentine
2011-04-03, 06:24 AM
I don't believe it's been decided, but only cuz noone's expressed a preference yet. I think my dad said weekends are better than weekdays, but it probably won't make any difference on a long weekend.

Agamid
2011-04-03, 06:41 AM
hmm, well probably best to leave me out of anything prepaid as i will need to be back in canberra by about 5pm on saturday, which would mean needing to be back at brissy airport by like 2 or 3 in the arvo - depending on flights.

i am almost definitely coming, but can't promise that i'll be able to hang around much past breakfast on the saturday (really can't afford to take off work this close to moving!)

Serpentine
2011-04-03, 06:43 AM
Aw :smallfrown: Well, with these tickets (assuming all of us coming manage to get them) we can go in to Dreamworld at 9am. You COULD come for a couple of hours that way, but it'll be tight. Might be better to do something else fun in Brisbane, instead... What IS there to do in Brisbane?

Agamid
2011-04-03, 06:58 AM
What IS there to do in Brisbane?

well there are parks to have picnics in, southbank and all it's shiny touristy things, ace comics (the best place to buy secondhand dnd books!), various places for shopping, plenty of tasty places to eat (or places to eat tasty food anyway :smalltongue: ) the botanical gardens full of water dragons(!!!), places to go bowling, um... i guess it depends what you want to do...

i'm sure if all the other playgrounders go off to dreamworld and leave me and my boyfriend alone in brissy that we'll be able to find some way or entertaining ourselves until i fly out though :smallwink: :smalltongue:

will definitely see if we can call through Armidale when my Kaninchen and i drive up from canberra in May though.
and when are you planning on going up to brissy? i think i will fly up on the thursday (i think there is a morning flight) so if you or any other playgrounders are around early and want to catch up before the official meet-up...

Serpentine
2011-04-03, 07:06 AM
I intend to be at dad's a full day before the meet-up, so... I'll get the bus (blech) on the 20th. Happy to do stuff then!
Be good if you can come through here. You can tell me how terrible my frog's tank is :smalltongue: We can spare two beds and two couches if you wanna stay the night.

Agamid
2011-04-03, 09:40 PM
I intend to be at dad's a full day before the meet-up, so... I'll get the bus (blech) on the 20th. Happy to do stuff then!
Be good if you can come through here. You can tell me how terrible my frog's tank is :smalltongue: We can spare two beds and two couches if you wanna stay the night.

sweeeeet. well, you'll be happy to know i booked flights today. get into brisbane at 8am on the 21st and leave at 2:15pm on the 23rd. whirlwind trip, but really can't be gone long or miss work.

Skeppio
2011-04-03, 09:40 PM
Look forward to seeing you there, Agamid! :smallbiggrin:

Amiel
2011-04-03, 09:41 PM
While you're all out there having tons of fun, I'm stuck at uni doing a Master's :smallfrown:

SilverSheriff
2011-04-04, 12:53 PM
Bread Loaves x2
Margarine.
Vegemite
Jam (Raspberry)
Peanut Butter
Milk 3L
Tea (Earl Grey)
Cereal (Uncle Toby's Fruity Bite)
Tooth brush 2 pack
Sugar

It has just occurred to me that some people like sugar in their tea.

Edit: and that it will be quite hard getting groceries to the backpackers, especially considering the fact that I can't drive.:smallsigh:

Edit2: Also, what were we doing for meals other than breakfast?:smallconfused:

Lady Moreta
2011-04-04, 10:41 PM
My assumption - and correct me if you think I'm wrong in this - is that we won't be at the backpackers for lunches/dinners and that we'll more likely be out somewhere and hence will end up just getting food from any place we can find it.

I'm sorry I haven't been able to do up a price estimate yet... I've been sick since Wednesday and I'm still off work with a rather nasty cold. That and we still don't know for absolutely sure if Anuan is coming.

I will get in touch with the backpackers there might be a supermarket nearby that we can use to grab food from, to save you the hassle.

Agamid
2011-04-05, 06:07 AM
wow i'm slow. Banana Backpackers! that's just a short walk from my mum's, which means it's less than a minutes walk away from Victoria Army Barracks shops - there's either a coles or a woolworths there, chemist, cafes, etc, even a medical centre.

And i'll be around for and happy to contribute to friday night dinner and saturday morning breakfast. don't know how many places will be open to eat at on good friday evening, but i guess if all else fails there is always take-away.

Serpentine
2011-04-05, 06:08 AM
Do you have access to a car? Floating the idea of you coming to the Gold Coast on the Thursday then driving us up to Brissie on Friday.

Agamid
2011-04-05, 07:42 AM
Do you have access to a car? Floating the idea of you coming to the Gold Coast on the Thursday then driving us up to Brissie on Friday.

The problem with that plan is that I can't legally drive :P

Possibility that my boyfriend could. But I don't know that he'd have a car to borrow - his car was sold while he was OS. I will ask him when he's less jet-lagged and not asleep.

Also, and please take no offence by this, but i've not seen my kaninchen since october so I am loathe to spend a night that close to him and yet not with him.

Serpentine
2011-04-05, 07:43 AM
No offense, it was just a tentative idea anyways. I'll see you there, instead.

Lady Moreta
2011-04-10, 12:18 AM
Urgent: Has anyone heard back from Anuan as to whether or not he's coming?

I have been hunting for a rental car and the only one I can find available is a 6-seater.

Given the fact that he hasn't posted in the thread and that he hasn't replied to Skep's PM I have been operating on the assumption that he is no longer coming. I urgently need to know, because if he is still coming then I can't hire this car. If he's not then this one is all right and it's likely to be the only option available to us.

Anuan
2011-04-10, 03:29 AM
I'mma comin', guys! D: If it's still in Brisbane/related area.
I shouldn't need the car if we're gonna be staying in a hotel or whatever, I get paid back on my own train fares and such cause I work for QR, and I'll be in Brisbane all week beforehand, so I should be able to make it for friday and saturday. Friday I -will- be retarded though, having worked through the night.
<wanders back through thread to re-find location of meetup>

If we do intend to be moving around a bit then I'm sorry for ruining the rental, Moreta ;w; I can lay in the boot!

Edit: Just checked, still going through. Oh god I hope I didn't ruin everything I'm so sorry D:

SilverSheriff
2011-04-10, 03:45 AM
A little bit of stress was put on us*, and you no longer get to pick out any groceries, thats about it.:smalltongue:

*read: Lady Moreta.

Lady Moreta
2011-04-10, 05:25 AM
Now you tell me...

You may be out of luck with the hire car - you may not be. The website I found has you fill out all the details including giving your credit card details and then they get the appropriate hire place to get back to you and tell you if the car you want is available. So at this stage I don't know if the 6-seater I was looking at is actually going to be available. And if it's not, they're going to get hell from me about the fact they required credit card details even to be told if the car you wanted was free.

If anyone in Brisbane/QLD knows of any car hire places, please have a look around. I've checked all the big names and a few of the smaller ones and none have anything in the right size. Peregrine pointed out that hiring two smaller cars would be an option and approximately the same price, but as far as I'm aware he's the only one with a full drivers license. Does anyone else have a full license and would be willing to drive if we went the two smaller car route?

Otherwise, we may be using public transport and our legs. Sorry guys, I honestly didn't think there'd be that many people out there wanting hire cars.

Anuan
2011-04-10, 06:09 AM
...I might be bringing my waster and a halfdone shield if anybody wants to attack me with said waster as punishment? D:
Also I've got a bus here that I think is like seven or eight seater if somebody wants to come aaalllll the way out past Toowoomba to pick it up, but I don't think it's actually legally roadworthy at the moment...XP

Also OH MY GOSH AGAMID AM I GOING TO GET TO MEET YOU I HAVE BEEN KICKING MYSELF SINCE THAT ONE ABBEY TOURNAMENT WHEN WE MISSED EACH OTHER ALL DAY THEN YOU MOVED AWAY THIS MAKES ME HAPPY. I might be -in- the Abbey this year, hopefully we'll hang out again at that point :3

Agamid
2011-04-10, 06:18 AM
Also OH MY GOSH AGAMID AM I GOING TO GET TO MEET YOU I HAVE BEEN KICKING MYSELF SINCE THAT ONE ABBEY TOURNAMENT WHEN WE MISSED EACH OTHER ALL DAY THEN YOU MOVED AWAY THIS MAKES ME HAPPY. I might be -in- the Abbey this year, hopefully we'll hang out again at that point :3

YES! i know, i was a little saddening when - gathering from skimming this thread - it didn't look like you were coming :(
i also will be moved back to brisbane before abbey and there are few things that could stop me from attending!

Anuan
2011-04-10, 06:48 AM
I AM GOING TO GIVE YOU SO MUCH HUGGING YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW! :3 happy.

Serpentine
2011-04-10, 06:57 AM
Anuan, are you going to come to Dreamworld? Should I get a ticket for you? You might even actually reuse it...

Anuan
2011-04-10, 07:06 AM
I doubt I'd reuse it, but yeah, I think that's the way to go. Can't really just doodle around the backpackers while you lot go off on rollercoasters or whatever it is you do at dreamworld.

Serpentine
2011-04-10, 07:17 AM
So, with Peregrine, Moreta, Rowsen, Skeppio, Black Pants Guy and myself, and the addition of Anuan, that's 7 tickets to buy. Correct?

Skeppio
2011-04-10, 07:19 AM
Sounds about right. We were planning to go to Dreamworld on the Saturday, correct? I don't think there was much discussion about it.

Serpentine
2011-04-10, 07:20 AM
Agamid will be leaving on Saturday afternoon. I think it'd be better to do it on, say, Sunday instead, so we can do something with Agamid, and then spend a full day there.

Skeppio
2011-04-10, 07:22 AM
Awesome idea. :smallsmile: So Dreamworld is Sunday. The Mana Bar is still Friday evening, right?

Serpentine
2011-04-10, 07:23 AM
Fo' shizzle.

Skeppio
2011-04-10, 07:25 AM
Excellent! :smallbiggrin: As for another evening, Rowsen and I were gonna bring a D&D starter set for those who were interested.

Serpentine
2011-04-10, 07:33 AM
I'd probably better book the bus...

Anuan
2011-04-10, 07:53 AM
What the hell is this Mana Bar, anyway? :smallconfused:

Agamid
2011-04-10, 07:55 AM
awesome! i'm getting good and excited about this now!

i will see if i can drag my kaninchen to mana with me on friday too! (as long as no one disapproves of a +1) :smallsmile:

Anuan - http://www.manabar.com.au/barshow.php it's a videogame themed bar where you can play videogames!

Anuan
2011-04-10, 08:00 AM
Videogames? I'm in.
Bar I can take or leave, but I'm always up for games!
Also, if dreamworld's a sunday, maybe not for me...I'll have to find out if we'll be going back to work on the following monday or not...

Serpentine
2011-04-10, 08:02 AM
Arg. Really? Good thing I didn't buy it yet :smalltongue: When do you think you'll know?

Agamid
2011-04-10, 11:00 AM
i am very much looking forward to Ocarina of Limes and possibly a Princess Peach or two. (i heart mana bar cocktails)

actually... i should go get my replacement proof of age card sorted tomorrow so i can even get in...

Lady Moreta
2011-04-10, 09:30 PM
Okay, I've emailed the backpackers with the final number of people (Agamid, you were going to stay elsewhere weren't you?). As soon as they get back to me I'll do up the costs (as far as I know them).

I will probably just list everything and people can then pick and choose which ones apply to them. Obviously if someone isn't going to be in the car then they won't have to help pay for it. Likewise anyone not at the backpackers won't need to pay for that. Actually, there's a thought - Anuan, are you staying with us at the backpackers?

Anuan
2011-04-10, 11:34 PM
Um, a couple days? I think.

And yes, LM, I am. I think. I can sleep in the car if it makes things easier D:

Also, if people wanna PM me their mobile numbers, that'd be cool. I'm likely to get to brisbane either sorta-late on Friday afternoon, or on Thursday night, so I may need a way of contacting people to catch up.

Lady Moreta
2011-04-11, 01:48 AM
And yes, LM, I am. I think. I can sleep in the car if it makes things easier D:

Good, because I told the backpackers we had 7 people :smalltongue:

Also, if people wanna PM me their mobile numbers, that'd be cool. I'm likely to get to brisbane either sorta-late on Friday afternoon, or on Thursday night, so I may need a way of contacting people to catch up.

That's on the to-do list :smalltongue: I was planning to get a master list of contact details for everyone so we can stay in touch, plus flight details for those flying in so we can coordinate airport pick up and make sure everyone gets to their flights on time!

edit: I AM AWESOME!

I just found us a hire car :smallbiggrin: and it's an 8 seater, so that should be enough room for everyone.

You may all now bring me your offerings of flowers and chocolate :smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

Rawhide
2011-04-11, 02:39 AM
Just out of curiosity, how much is car rental? And if one were to bring their own 5 seat car, fuel and open licence, how much of the expense would that excuse them of?

Oh well, scratch that. Car found.

Agamid
2011-04-11, 10:07 AM
(Agamid, you were going to stay elsewhere weren't you?).
yep! i'm all sorted for accommodation

also, do you want me to PM you my number? or...?

and you might be in luck, i planned to eat all my chocolate at work but it was sooo busy that i didn't even have one single bit all night :(
i have no flowers though...

Serpentine
2011-04-11, 10:08 AM
Oh yeah... Who's in charge of Easter eggs? :smalltongue:
On a related note, anyone know whether they still make those Easter bilbies where they donate some of the profits to bilby conservation?

Skeppio
2011-04-11, 10:22 AM
edit: I AM AWESOME!

I just found us a hire car :smallbiggrin: and it's an 8 seater, so that should be enough room for everyone.

You may all now bring me your offerings of flowers and chocolate :smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

You are indeed AWESOME!!! :smallbiggrin:

*offers chocolate, flowers, hugs, pirate treasure, etc*

Lady Moreta
2011-04-11, 08:35 PM
also, do you want me to PM you my number? or...?

and you might be in luck, i planned to eat all my chocolate at work but it was sooo busy that i didn't even have one single bit all night :(
i have no flowers though...

Yes please on the phone number.

And you didn't get to eat any chocolate? That's terrible! :smalleek::smalltongue: you'd better eat some now, quick.

Oh yeah... Who's in charge of Easter eggs? :smalltongue:
On a related note, anyone know whether they still make those Easter bilbies where they donate some of the profits to bilby conservation?

Me :smalltongue: Actually, I was planning to buy some and whack 'em in my suitcase and bring them out as a surprise. I'm happy for someone else to be in charge of Easter eggs though.

And - I think you can get them still... my mother-in-law always bought us an Easter Bibly each. For once this year she didn't do that, so I'm not sure if you can still get them. I'm an egg or rabbit person myself.

*offers chocolate, flowers, hugs, pirate treasure, etc*

Oooh. I hadn't thought about pirate treasure :smallbiggrin:

Another question: All those who are staying at the backpackers - is everyone going to be there from Friday through Tuesday (as in staying Friday, Sat, Sun & Mon nights, checking out Tuesda). That is what I've told the backpackers, but if anyone is leaving early, please let me know. That way I can tell the backpackers we have x number staying 4 nights and y number staying 3 nights. That way everyone pays for the number of nights they're actually there for.

Crap... there was something else I was going to say and now I've forgotten what it was. Oh wait! Agamid - for the time you'll be around, will you be travelling in the car with us or will you make your own way? The car is an 8-seater so it has room for you, but not your young man if he also wants to hang out. I'm trying to figure out cost division and I don't want to divide the car hire by 8 if only 7 people are going to be using it.

Anuan
2011-04-11, 09:14 PM
Okay, guys, update and confirmation. I won't not be there with bells on and a pocket full of cash.

...:smallbiggrin:

Lady Moreta
2011-04-11, 09:57 PM
Don't do that! I read that as you 'won't' be there at first... :smalleek::smalltongue:

You'll be there for the entire time? I know I sound pushy but if I'm going to adjust the booking at the backpackers I need to know asap.

Anuan
2011-04-11, 11:11 PM
I believe I'll be leaving on the monday afternoon.
Still awaiting PMs with mobiles.

Lady Moreta
2011-04-11, 11:14 PM
Cool. I'll let them know it's 6 til Tuesday and 1 til Monday. Then I can sort out costs.

PM forthcoming (just let me hit post first :smalltongue:)

Serpentine
2011-04-11, 11:47 PM
I'll be there the whole time.
Also, I know you can get bilbies, I was just hoping to buy some that go towards charity... Ah well.

Agamid
2011-04-12, 12:22 AM

you used to be able to get them at darrel lea. i've not checked my local DL to see if they have them in store this year, but i don't see why they wouldn't.

Edit: oh look they do http://www.dlea.com.au/gifting/easter-1.html?p=2

And Lady Moreta: just PMed you my numbers.

Skeppio
2011-04-12, 12:30 AM
Ok, Anuan's got my number. And I'm pretty certain Lady Moreta already has it. :smallsmile:

Lady Moreta
2011-04-12, 02:29 AM
Ok, Anuan's got my number. And I'm pretty certain Lady Moreta already has it. :smallsmile:

You make it so tempting to be a smartass and say that I've lost it. :smalltongue:

But I haven't. :smallsmile:

SilverSheriff
2011-04-12, 04:44 AM
Excellent! :smallbiggrin: As for another evening, Rowsen and I were gonna bring a D&D starter set for those who were interested.

Which edition does this starter kit belong to?

Skeppio
2011-04-12, 04:49 AM
Which edition does this starter kit belong to?

It's the starter kit for 3.5 Ed. It even has four pre-made characters and a sample dungeon crawl for those who are interested.

SilverSheriff
2011-04-12, 04:51 AM
It's the starter kit for 3.5 Ed. It even has four pre-made characters and a sample dungeon crawl for those who are interested.

I'd be very interested, hope you don't mind if I roll up my own character though.:smallbiggrin:

Skeppio
2011-04-12, 04:53 AM
No problem. Hope no-one minds if we use the sample adventure. :smallwink:

SilverSheriff
2011-04-12, 05:00 AM
No problem. Hope no-one minds if we use the sample adventure. :smallwink:

1st level, right?

Skeppio
2011-04-12, 05:03 AM
Yep, the sample stuff goes from 1st to 3rd level. We have a copy of the Player's Handbook, but without the Dungeon Master's Guide or any Monster Manuals, it could be a bit difficult to work with it. I'll bring it along anyway.

Agamid
2011-04-12, 05:10 AM
Yep, the sample stuff goes from 1st to 3rd level. We have a copy of the Player's Handbook, but without the Dungeon Master's Guide or any Monster Manuals, it could be a bit difficult to work with it. I'll bring it along anyway.

i have electronic copies of both... could put them in a flash drive and give them to you if you want? (don't know if i will be around when you run the game).

Skeppio
2011-04-12, 05:12 AM
Ooh, that'd be cool. But if we're just running the sample adventure, then the Starter Kit rules and Player's Handbook should be enough. :smallsmile:

SilverSheriff
2011-04-12, 05:17 AM
I've got a Library of 3.X books on my external HDD.:smallamused:

Skeppio
2011-04-12, 05:25 AM
Oh, if we're gonna come clean about it, then yeah I do have a bunch of PDFs on my laptop (I can't buy them anywhere nowadays). :smallredface: I wasn't sure if you were all okay with that, is all. Maybe I could bring my laptop then, that'd give us a bunch of extra books.

Serpentine
2011-04-12, 11:12 AM
I'm intending to bring my laptop too.
I shall leave the implications of that unaired.

Lady Moreta
2011-04-12, 08:31 PM
I was planning to not let Peregrine bring his :smalltongue: - except for such a short trip he probably won't want to... but we also have a pile of the books on pdf (all 3.5 plus a few random others I believe). Too many for a flash drive I think - unless I load them up onto my 8GB micro SD card, which I'd rather not do because it's the memory stick for my digital camera and I want to leave the space free for photos :smallsmile:

We have a random and fairly small 160GB portable hard drive floating around somewhere, if people want them we could easily bring that (if we can find it, I have no idea where it is. Peregrine will probably no, it came free with my laptop and I promptly gave it to him).

Agamid
2011-04-12, 08:46 PM
i pretty much take my laptop everywhere with me. it's like a 6th limb (the fifth limb being a lizard, of course!), and i need it for charging my ipod as i packed the wall charger...

i have a torrent with all the 3.5 books in it, have just only downloaded the core rules so far as i just wanted to see the differences between it and 3.0. i actually can't stand reading and using computer books.
and you can but 3.0 and 3.5 books, you just have to know where to look :)

Anuan
2011-04-12, 10:06 PM
i pretty much take my laptop everywhere with me. it's like a 6th limb (the fifth limb being a lizard, of course!)

...I want a shirt that says "My fifth limb is a lizard."

Agamid
2011-04-12, 10:16 PM
...I want a shirt that says "My fifth limb is a lizard."

RED BUBBLE IT! :P

Anuan
2011-04-13, 11:42 PM
The hell is Red Bubble?

Also, my nanna is very sick. I may not be able to come. Updates as I recieve them.

:smallsigh:

Lady Moreta
2011-04-14, 12:24 AM
Also, my nanna is very sick. I may not be able to come. Updates as I recieve them.

Ohhh... that's not good :smallfrown:

We can make changes to the accommodation booking up to 72 hours beforehand without any penalty. If you can, it'd be good to let me know before then, but I realise that it's not always possible.

Having said that, I finally got my ass into gear and figured out costs! Aren't you all proud of me? :smallbiggrin::smalltongue: All listed below, let me know if I've forgotten something. I've divided everything up by item, so people can take the ones that apply to them and ignore the others. I've also added in brackets the person/s you need to pay said monies to :smallsmile:

Accommodation:
4 nights: $112
3 nights: $84 (Anuan only at this stage, if you are also leaving on Monday, TELL ME NOW!)
(Peregrine/Moreta)

Key Deposit:
7 people: $20
Will be returned when you check out
(Backpackers)

Car Hire:
7 people: 79.30 (can't remember the total and don't have access to the info right now, will edit in later)
(Peregrine/Moreta)

Petrol:
7 people: $15
(Peregrine/Moreta)
* I figure, Peregrine is gonna be driving, makes sense for him (or me) to handle petrol money. $15 each gives us a total of $105 which I devoutly hope will be enough. It all depends on how much travelling we do and how much of a gas guzzler the car is.

Breakfast Foods:
7 people: $5.60
(Black_Pants_Guy)
* this is an estimate, may end up more or less, depends on how much he actually spends. And as Agamid said there's a supermarket nearby we may just wait til everyone is there and go together.

Transport to Airport:
as needed: $15/person
*Coming from airport -the best way to get to us is by the Coachtrans airport shuttle bus.(Door to Door) It costs $15 per person & will drop you at our door if you tell the driver you are coming to Banana Bender Backpackers.
Peregrine and I will return the car before we leave, but our flight isn't 8:15pm. And, as much as I love you guys, if your flight is earlier than that, you'll need to make your own way to the airport.

Speaking of flying... can those of you who are flying send me your flight details. I know Rowsen & Skep are flying in and arrive - some time after we do... if we all arrive close enough we'll wait & gather at the airport and head to the backpackers together. I need flight details so we can make sure we get to the correct gate to meet you guys.

And now I'm starving so I'm off to have lunch. I'll fill in the extra details when I get back and can spend the time hunting through my emails for the information.

Skeppio
2011-04-14, 12:28 AM
Anuan, so sorry to hear it. :smallfrown: I wish your grandma a speedy recovery.

Moreta, you're doing a fantastic job of all this! Of course I'm proud of you! :smallbiggrin:

And I'll send you my flight details in just a moment. Rowsen will of course be on the same flights as me.

SilverSheriff
2011-04-14, 12:55 AM
Breakfast Foods:
7 people: $10
(Black_Pants_Guy)
* this is an estimate, may end up more or less, depends on how much he actually spends. And as Agamid said there's a supermarket nearby we may just wait til everyone is there and go together.

$32.54 total actually (roughly $4.65 per person).

That includes soap and tooth brushes, I am prepared to drop soap off of the list and perhaps even add more items too the list.

Homebrand Toothbrush Medium 2pk 2ea

Dove Beauty Bar Moisturising 4X100g

Kraft Vegemite 150g

(Short for Richard) Smith Peanut Butter Crunchy 425g

Cottees Conserve Raspberry 500g

Homebrand Bread - White Toast 700g

Homebrand Milk Whole Bottle 3L

Bushells Tea Bags Blue Label Extra Strength 50pk

Uncle Tobys Cereal Fruity Bites Wildberry 500g
Homebrand Sugar White 1kg
Flora Spread Original 500g

Serpentine
2011-04-14, 01:32 AM
...you're getting Homebrand bread and "spread", but Dove soap? o.O

SilverSheriff
2011-04-14, 01:41 AM
...you're getting Homebrand bread and "spread", but Dove soap? o.O

Bread and Margarine are pretty much all the same no matter what brand you buy. Where as Dove soap has moisturizer in it, and my constant hand-washing habit leaves me with dry skin otherwise. I will be happy to replace it with another brand if anyone else has objections.

Serpentine
2011-04-14, 01:52 AM
As the girlfriend of an ex-baker, I very much disagree with you on the first point. I just thought it was a funny contrast is all. I don't really care.

Blegh. Dunno if it's changed or I just didn't notice it before, but apparently there's a local and a national version of the Dreamworld tickets. I could use my dad's postcode for it, but I think it might be better to play it safe. It's okay, they're just $10 more expensive each.

I have, just right now, bought 6 Dreamworld and WhiteWater World reusable tickets. In keeping with the set standard...

Dreamworld
6 tickets: $482.30, or $80.40 each.
Tickets can be kept and reused if you get your ID connected with it.
(Serpentine)

Lady Moreta
2011-04-14, 01:57 AM
I knew I'd forgotten something... ah, just as well, since I'd have had the amount wrong anyway...

Awww... what happened to the $69 ones? or is that what you meant by the difference between national and - whatever it was you said before... :smallsigh: I am really having a mental day today...

Food - I agree with Serps, there is a difference in margarine-y products. Quite a big one actually. I would suggest getting one bar of soap (pretty sure you can get single bars of Dove soap) and better quality marge. Also, you forgot the sugar :smalltongue: Also, you're awesome for working out prices beforehand :smallbiggrin:

Also... question from the backpackers...

Just so we're clear, are you expecting your group to be accommodated privately ie just your group exclusively, no others in the room? We have four person dormitories, which would mean that there may be two others in the room on the last night. Alternatively, are you happy to be all in one room (9 person room),with the possibility of having to share on the last night?

I have assumed the latter is what we'd prefer? (all in one room, possibly sharing with two randoms on the last night)... but I open it to the floor.

Serpentine
2011-04-14, 02:00 AM
I don't mind, but that last would be nice.
And yeah, apparently the $69 is just for locals or something. Now, I've been sent an email with an attachment I've gotta print off to take with us. I don't think there's much point printing it off now, so I'll wait 'til I get up to the Gold Coast, either at my dad's or later at an internet cafe or something. So, make sure you all keep reminding me that I have to print them off, 'kay? Although the worst that can happen is we have to start an hour or two later for me to run off to dad's place, print it off, then run back to Dreamworld...

Also, I meant the bread :smalltongue: I don't eat margarine or butter except melted, so I don't really mind.

Skeppio
2011-04-14, 02:03 AM
I vote for the one room idea.

SilverSheriff
2011-04-14, 02:11 AM
I knew I'd forgotten something... ah, just as well, since I'd have had the amount wrong anyway...

Awww... what happened to the $69 ones? or is that what you meant by the difference between national and - whatever it was you said before... :smallsigh: I am really having a mental day today...

Food - I agree with Serps, there is a difference in margarine-y products. Quite a big one actually. I would suggest getting one bar of soap (pretty sure you can get single bars of Dove soap) and better quality marge. Also, you forgot the sugar :smalltongue: Also, you're awesome for working out prices beforehand :smallbiggrin:

yes... I did forget sugar. :smallsigh:

$32.54 total actually (roughly $4.65 per person).

Homebrand Toothbrush Medium 2pk 2ea

Dove Beauty Bar Moisturising 4X100g

Kraft Vegemite 150g

(Short for Richard) Smith Peanut Butter Crunchy 425g

Cottees Conserve Raspberry 500g

Homebrand Bread - White Toast 700g

Homebrand Milk Whole Bottle 3L

Bushells Tea Bags Blue Label Extra Strength 50pk

Uncle Tobys Cereal Fruity Bites Wildberry 500g
Homebrand Sugar White 1kg
Flora Spread Original 500g

Serpentine
2011-04-14, 02:12 AM
You can still get Dove if you want, silly-head. Moreta's just suggesting getting a single bar, instead of 4. I can't imagine how we'd go through an entire bar in a few days, anyway...

Lady Moreta
2011-04-14, 02:18 AM
Also, I meant the bread :smalltongue: I don't eat margarine or butter except melted, so I don't really mind.

*facepalm* told you I was having an off day... I agree with you on the bread thing too, but for some reason I seem to be more sensitive to difference in quality of spreads than breads...

You can still get Dove if you want, silly-head. Moreta's just suggesting getting a single bar, instead of 4. I can't imagine how we'd go through an entire bar in a few days, anyway...

Exactly. I think getting soap is a good idea, I just don't think four bars is necessary. I think one would be fine... and I'm pretty sure you can get singles of Dove. I don't really know since we don't use bar soap very much.

SilverSheriff
2011-04-14, 02:29 AM
I also vote for having one room.

Anuan
2011-04-14, 02:52 AM
Anuan, so sorry to hear it. :smallfrown: I wish your grandma a speedy recovery.

Moreta, you're doing a fantastic job of all this! Of course I'm proud of you! :smallbiggrin:

And I'll send you my flight details in just a moment. Rowsen will of course be on the same flights as me.

Recovery went out the window quite a while ago.
Just got the news, we're heading down to my old hometown tomorrow. She'll probably be gone by the time I get there.

Should still be able to make it to the meetup.

Lady Moreta
2011-04-14, 02:57 AM
Just got the news, we're heading down to my old hometown tomorrow. She'll probably be gone by the time I get there.

I lost my Grandma about a year ago, Peregrine and I were extremely lucky in that we already happened to be in NZ on holiday, otherwise we wouldn't have even been able to make it to the funeral.

I hope you get there in time.

Let us know if you can't make it, we'll sort it out :smallsmile:

Skeppio
2011-04-14, 03:25 AM

Oh dear..... I'm so sorry. :smallfrown: I hope you get there in time.

Also, my deepest sympathies.

Lady Moreta
2011-04-14, 03:45 AM
Just updated with the rest of the numbers, plus the name of the shuttle the backpackers suggested for airport transfers. They didn't say, but I presume if they shuttle from the airport they also shuttle to the airport.

If anyone is worried they won't remember what they need to pay, don't stress too much, I have all the numbers in a spreadsheet that I will print off and bring with me. I like lists :smallsmile:

One final request from Peregrine & I.

We have been and are perfectly happy to provide a credit card to secure and pay for the bigger items. Both the backpackers and the car hire required a credit card anyway, so it was easier this way. However, we are living on a single salary at the moment and we are on an extremely tight budget. As much as we'd love to be able to shout you all, we simply cannot afford it. Due to that, we'd really appreciate being paid back for the car hire and accommodation as soon as possible after we all get there. I personally would prefer the Friday, but I realise that's likely to be a messy day. I will say though, that we need to be paid back by everyone, no later than Monday.

I don't think anyone would but I'll admit, I am concerned that someone might head off and, completely unintentionally, forget to pay us back (I say this because I know I've done it in the past). Much as I'd love to be able to say 'eh don't worry about it' - we simply can't afford to field any more of the cost than what it will be for the two of us.

I'm sorry it took me so long to get the costs out to everyone - that's disorganisation on my part, completely my fault. So yeah, if everyone could pay us back whatever amount they owe, preferably no later than Saturday, we'd really appreciate it.

:smallsmile:

Serpentine
2011-04-15, 12:43 AM
Moreta, are those prices all each, or are some of them totals?

Lady Moreta
2011-04-15, 01:51 AM
Moreta, are those prices all each, or are some of them totals?

Ummm... *brain will not function*

They're prices each. Sorry should have specified that... where it says "7 people" or something, that's how many I divided the total by.

If you're interested total car hire is $555.25, total accommodation is $756 ($28/person per night).

Serpentine
2011-04-15, 02:02 AM
...wow. Damn, that's a lot :smalleek:
I'll hopefully have enough money in my account that I'll be able to just stop at an ATM and take it out for you (or transfer it over, if you prefer). If not, I can transfer it out of my investment account, or borrow off my mum. So, basically, I'll be fine to pay you back when we get there.

edit: Scratch that, I'll hopefully be getting the money from everyone for the Dreamworld tickets. I'll be able to pay you back easily.

Lady Moreta
2011-04-15, 02:26 AM
...wow. Damn, that's a lot :smalleek:

I know... it threw me a bit too when I first did the numbers. Just imagine how much more it'd be if we weren't staying at a backpackers though...

Also - feel free to check my numbers, anyone who feels so inclined. :smallsmile:

Anuan
2011-04-15, 05:58 AM
I'm going to have to mention I'm giving up getting a Hanwei Tinker Longsword to be able to afford to come see you guys and be able to afford going to all these cool things.

I normally wouldn't pick my parents over a Hanwei Tinker.

Serpentine
2011-04-16, 12:12 AM
We are honoured :smallbiggrin:

Sorry to hear about your nanna, by the way :smallfrown: I hope it's peaceful.

Lady Moreta
2011-04-16, 06:40 AM
I'm going to have to mention I'm giving up getting a Hanwei Tinker Longsword to be able to afford to come see you guys and be able to afford going to all these cool things.

I normally wouldn't pick my parents over a Hanwei Tinker.

I just googled it... that is a very pretty sword. I am most profoundly honoured...

Skeppio
2011-04-16, 06:42 AM
That is a fine sword.... Wow, I dunno what to say... thanks mate. Look forawrd to seeing you there. :smallredface:

Anuan
2011-04-16, 09:41 AM
As much as we could've hoped, Serps.

And yes, the H/T L is pretty, but the point is that it's also widely regarded as one of the best production-made swords, especially for its pricepoint. I've never even had the opportunity to handle something as finely made (though I've got a custom sword being made for me by someone at some website I won't name because I've just remembered that may count as advertising which is a naughty-no-no on the forums, which will be magnificent :smallbiggrin: but that's costing me a lot more) and I'm choosing you guys.

FEEL SPECIAL.

Lady Moreta
2011-04-17, 09:13 PM
I do feel special.

I also now want one of those swords :smalltongue:

Serpentine
2011-04-18, 04:18 AM
I FEEL VERY PRIVILEDGED.

Alright then, FYIs, I'm getting to Brisbane at 10am Wednesday morning, staying there for an hour and a half, then heading down to the Gold Coast.
On Friday I'll meet people at the airport at whatever time it was, either by train or by lift from daddikins.
I'll go back to the Gold Coast whenever on Tuesday, then I'll be there 'til Friday 5pm.

See y'sall soon!

Blech. 18 hours bus travel, ew :smallyuk:

Skeppio
2011-04-18, 04:22 AM
See you there Serps! Lady Moreta and Peregrine are meeting Rowsen and I at Brisbane Airport (our flight gets in at 4:15pm) if you wanted to meet us there. :smallbiggrin:

Serpentine
2011-04-18, 04:28 AM
Yup! That's what I intend. Trains get there regularly, but dad's not working so he might drive me.

Lady Moreta
2011-04-18, 09:27 PM
Thank you for posting, I meant to send you my mobile, just in case.

Peregrine & I get in first at 3:50pm (flying Virgin)... but since we're just going to grab our bags and head straight to meet Skep & Rowsen, you might as well meet us at the Qantas gate instead.

Ummm... oh shoot what was it?

Oh yes - The Mana Bar - will it be open on Friday do you think? I just realised that Friday is actually Good Friday (I just kept thinking of it as another public holiday, keep forgetting it's Easter) - will the place actually be open? I don't know what the rules for opening on public holidays are like in QLD, but over here they're pretty strict.

Also, we may want to grab some extra stuff for dinner that night - Black_Pants_Guy would you be willing to add something to your shopping list? Maybe some of those packet pasta meals or something - quick and easy that doesn't require a huge amount of work to make. I kept thinking 'eh we can just go to the supermarket when we get there' but we can't 'cause it's Good Friday. And I keep forgetting that... :smallmad:

SilverSheriff
2011-04-18, 09:44 PM
Oh yes - The Mana Bar - will it be open on Friday do you think? I just realised that Friday is actually Good Friday (I just kept thinking of it as another public holiday, keep forgetting it's Easter) - will the place actually be open? I don't know what the rules for opening on public holidays are like in QLD, but over here they're pretty strict.

Well if the Supermarkets aren't open on Friday I doubt that the Mana Bar will be. :smallfrown:

Edit: I should probably check with Yug...
Edit2: Not Open on Friday.:smallsigh:
Edit3: But they are open every other day on the Easter Break...:smallconfused:

Also, we may want to grab some extra stuff for dinner that night - Black_Pants_Guy would you be willing to add something to your shopping list? Maybe some of those packet pasta meals or something - quick and easy that doesn't require a huge amount of work to make. I kept thinking 'eh we can just go to the supermarket when we get there' but we can't 'cause it's Good Friday. And I keep forgetting that... :smallmad:

Will do...

Lady Moreta
2011-04-18, 10:02 PM
Well if the Supermarkets aren't open on Friday I doubt that the Mana Bar will be. :smallfrown:

Edit: I should probably check with Yug...
Edit2: Not Open on Friday.:smallsigh:
Edit3: But they are open every other day on the Easter Break...:smallconfused:

It's Good Friday - it tends to have special rules about who can and can't be open.

It's all right, we can always go there on Saturday night as well - I believe Agamid will still be around then and she was really keen on getting there.

I don't know that I really mind having a quieter night on Friday anyway, flying sucks.

Will do...

Thank you. You are a legend :smallsmile:

SilverSheriff
2011-04-18, 10:49 PM
Does Italian Cheese And Black Pepper sound alright?

Lady Moreta
2011-04-18, 11:28 PM
Does Italian Cheese And Black Pepper sound alright?

That one's pretty good (as long as you don't overcook it :smallannoyed:). I would suggest getting something like Macaroni Cheese as well in case anyone doesn't like black pepper. I like pepper (sometimes) but I know that not everyone likes it.

Agamid
2011-04-19, 01:41 AM
Oh yes - The Mana Bar - will it be open on Friday do you think?

urg! i emailed them a few weeks ago before i booked my flights to ask if they would be open friday, they said they would be, but an hour ago they posted on their facebook that they'd be shut!

It's all right, we can always go there on Saturday night as well - I believe Agamid will still be around then and she was really keen on getting there.
i will not. have to be at work back in canberra saturday night.
will be there from 8am thursday till about 1pm saturday.

Lady Moreta
2011-04-19, 01:49 AM
i will not. have to be at work back in canberra saturday night.
will be there from 8am thursday till about 1pm saturday.

Awww, I'm sorry... :smallfrown: I misread when you were going to be there from, my bad... I thought you were going to be around all of Saturday.

That sucks...

SilverSheriff
2011-04-19, 02:35 AM
Just bought the Groceries, and a haircut.:smallbiggrin:

urg! I emailed them a few weeks ago before i booked my flights to ask if they would be open friday, they said they would be, but an hour ago they posted on their facebook that they'd be shut!

I'll make sure to send an email off to Yug regarding the situation.:smallmad:

KuReshtin
2011-04-19, 05:40 AM
As always, we expect to see lots of pictures.
For verification that the meet actually took place, and all. :smallbiggrin:

Serpentine
2011-04-19, 06:19 AM
That sucks, Agamid :smallfrown: I was feeling bad cuz we should've checked before, but if you did and they changed it... :smallconfused:
Maybe we should go somewhere nice for dinner, instead. Any suggestions?

Hokay, so. 5 hours (2am) 'til I get on the bus to the Gold Coast. I'm all packed, including some D&D stuff, dice, swimmers, towels, and so on. Any last-minute thoughts on what I should bring that I might've forgotten? I dunno, anything anyone wants to see or something?
I'd bring a camera, but all I have is an underwater camera, a digital camera that dies after a minute, and a film camera, so I'm no good there. Others are bringing them, aren't they?

I hate buses :smallyuk:

Agamid
2011-04-19, 08:03 AM
yeah.. i'm rather put out.

I'll ask my little brother tomorrow if he can recommend anywhere for eating. if Lure on Latrobe or Anouk are open they might be nice though. not too expensive, in paddington (so close to the bck/pckers), have veggo, vegan and GF options. But yeah, will ask my little bro and look into it while i'm at work tomorrow.

and camera-wise, i'll be bringing my digital leica (though only have 1 battery for it after my wallet was stolen with the spare in it!). also bringing up my Minolta SRT 202, but haven't got it working 100% yet so probably won't shoot with it... tossing up whether i want to lug my beautiful (but heavy!) film Nikomat with me too... but the leica should service.

Rawhide
2011-04-19, 05:53 PM
Some potentially bad news if you were thinking of going to the ice bar. Check to see if it is still open!

I went to the Chill On Ice Bar/Lounge in Melbourne (awesome btw, especially as I had a discount coupon to get 25% off the deluxe entry, which included a cocktail and a shot, then the bartender gave me a free mocktail) and the bartender mentioned that there was an ice bar in Brisbane and Sydney, but now they're the only one in Australia.

Agamid
2011-04-19, 08:30 PM
well, most things are shut in brissy on good fridaybut if people are up for it the pancake manor is open, has a bar and does crepes and chips and other things other than pancakes too.

is just in town on charlotte street. open 24 hours a day (actually a bit of a hangout for people to play dnd at 3 in the morning) and no bookings required. they even do GF stuff!

http://www.pancakemanor.com.au/

interested?

Lady Moreta
2011-04-19, 09:08 PM
As always, we expect to see lots of pictures.
For verification that the meet actually took place, and all. :smallbiggrin:

Of course :smallbiggrin: I plan to bring my camera as well... doesn't sound as fancy as any of Agamid's but should still work just fine.

http://www.pancakemanor.com.au/

interested?

Yes. Yes. Very interested. I like pancakes :smallbiggrin:

Would perhaps be a good idea to make a booking anyway, since being Good Friday they're likely to either be completely full or completely empty and it's worth making sure of a place by y'know, making a booking :smallsmile:

Serpentine
2011-04-20, 12:51 AM
That sounds excellent to me :smallsmile:
There used to be a Pancake Parlour in Albury-Wodonga. Had lots of Lego and a giant chess set with big lead pieces and a class board (not as cracked as you might think). I miss that place...

Oh yeah, I made it to the Gold Coast fine.