PDA

View Full Version : Running a Classic Campaign in 3.5

Tokuhara
2011-01-03, 01:49 PM
As a new DM, I plan on instead of building from scratch, I plan on "rebooting" a classic campaign based on Queen of the Demonweb Pits and Vault of the Drow

The party is starting around 3rd level and I've never DMed a full campaign. How can I play this world so the party is surprised the Drow are behind the whole ordeal?

Hawkfrost000
2011-01-03, 02:40 PM
in all the books i read the drow are both:

1. feared a lot

2. have lots of warrior slaves

this means that they could probably blackmail a tribe of orcs or goblins or any other assorted underdark nasties into doing their dirty-work for them. maybe even employ an demon or devil, this would draw the attention away from the drow until they realize that their enemies are getting two powerful and they start acting directly against the PC's.

DM

hamishspence
2011-01-03, 02:43 PM
Weren't the Giants the main catspaw of the drow back in that era- with Against The Giants being the module that led into Vault of the Drow?

Tokuhara
2011-01-03, 03:47 PM
Weren't the Giants the main catspaw of the drow back in that era- with Against The Giants being the module that led into Vault of the Drow?

Yes. Giants were the primary antagonists in Descent into the Depths of the Underdark, who were in reality cronies of the Drow.

I see the drow not as elves, but almost like Imperial Officers from Star Wars. They're string pullers, manipulators, and most importantly, villains you can bargain with.

Tvtyrant
2011-01-03, 05:15 PM
They also had a Kua-Toa cult group working for them in one of the side books to that adventure if memory serves.

Tokuhara
2011-01-03, 08:08 PM
They also had a Kua-Toa cult group working for them in one of the side books to that adventure if memory serves.

I found a pretty good copy of the GDQ1-7 Queen of the Spiders collective in my friend's grandparent's attic and bought it for $6 and hence where the epiphany came from.

Yes, there is a Kuo-Toa cult in the second book of the "D" series. I plan on essentially running the module as it was in the seventies, but with 3.5 rules, monsters, and flair.

Tokuhara
2011-01-04, 12:31 PM
I found a pretty good copy of the GDQ1-7 Queen of the Spiders collective in my friend's grandparent's attic and bought it for $6 and hence where the epiphany came from.

Yes, there is a Kuo-Toa cult in the second book of the "D" series. I plan on essentially running the module as it was in the seventies, but with 3.5 rules, monsters, and flair.

So, does anyone have any bright ideas for this campaign?

The Big Dice
2011-01-04, 01:27 PM
Have a look here (http://www.enworld.org/forum/conversions/245278-attempt-rebuild-conversion-library-please-upload-conversions-3-5-here.html). There's D1 and D2. D3 is harder to find a conversion for, but I believe there was a Dragon or Dungeon article on the Vault of the Drow.

Toliudar
2011-01-04, 01:47 PM
If I recall, though, the campaign as written starts quite a lot higher level. You'll really need to tone down initial encounters in order to be ready for the Vault of the Drow. Perhaps a lot of outdoor encounters and intrigue to begin with, before getting to the underground stuff? And accelerate the initial level-ups.

Tokuhara
2011-01-04, 02:34 PM
If I recall, though, the campaign as written starts quite a lot higher level. You'll really need to tone down initial encounters in order to be ready for the Vault of the Drow. Perhaps a lot of outdoor encounters and intrigue to begin with, before getting to the underground stuff? And accelerate the initial level-ups.

G series was based on low-level parties, D series for mid-level, and the Q module was for higher level play. The design was to transition from G to D to Q

The Big Dice
2011-01-04, 02:37 PM
G series was based on low-level parties, D series for mid-level, and the Q module was for higher level play. The design was to transition from G to D to Q

There was also the A series, which I believe was aimed more at starting characters and led into the G modules. Pits of the Slave Lords or somesuch is the name I'm remembering.

Tokuhara
2011-01-04, 02:44 PM
There was also the A series, which I believe was aimed more at starting characters and led into the G modules. Pits of the Slave Lords or somesuch is the name I'm remembering.

The A series was its own separate set, often considered one of the better campaign modules.

I can extend the G series as far as I need to so I can get the optimal effect.

The party will consist of:

Nezumi Ninja/Assassin (traded Ki/Spells for FoB and Maneuvers from ToB)
Elf Ranger (Drow Hunter)
Human Paladin/Knight of the Raven (Wears Dwarf armor and carries a MASSIVE shield. Mount is a Giant Raven)
Underfolk Cleric of Pelor/Radiant Servant (Band-Aid despenser)
Aquatic Half-Elf Wizard/Frost Mage/Force Missle Mage (frozen magic missles)

hamlet
2011-01-04, 03:09 PM
Actually, the "common" progression for Greyhawk supermodules was T1-4, then A1-4 (even had adaptation notes to link to T1-4 in the compilation), then G1-3 (for 8th-9th level parties to start), then D1-3, then Q1.

Theoretically, with careful play, a PC could start in T1 and "last" all the way through till the end of Q1 with only minimal side questing to fill in the "gaps" in leveling.

As for advice for the campaign, don't look for people to be surprised by the GDQ series. It's secrets are pretty much out.

Instead, better idea might be to build a new opening after scrapping G1-3. Find a new catspaw and probably want to scrap much of the D series as well as most players will likely know what's in it at least in broad strokes.

A replacement for the giants could be The Scarlet Brotherhood, being influenced quietly from the inside to send out spies and assassins in some deluded attempt to take over the world by stealth. Or Iuz being manipulated again by the Drow to utilize his humanoid hordes to destabalize major kingdoms in the region.

In the D series, replace Kuo-Toa with Duergar and change the nature and flavor of the temple.

D3 can probably be used as is.

Abemad
2011-01-04, 04:00 PM
I actually had the same idea (running TGDQ in 3.5), but I havent found the time to start it yet... Anyway, you may enjoy reading this campaign journal (http://necromancergames.yuku.com/forum/viewtopic/id/3036). Its a long read, but its interesting to see how he managed to make it work in 3.5

Anyway, remenber that many things have changed significantly since 1st edition, so you'll need to make som serious changes from time to time...

The Big Dice
2011-01-04, 10:26 PM
Anyway, remenber that many things have changed significantly since 1st edition, so you'll need to make som serious changes from time to time...
The biggest differences I've noticed when converting classic modules to 3.5 are the power of 3.X PCs is much higher. And they also level a LOT faster than older edition characters.

hamlet
2011-01-05, 10:43 AM
The biggest differences I've noticed when converting classic modules to 3.5 are the power of 3.X PCs is much higher. And they also level a LOT faster than older edition characters.

Also also, dragons, giants, demons, and devils and the like all got big power boosts through the editions. In 3.x and 4.x, they are monstrous killing machines capable of tearing through even powerful parties. In 1st edition, they were just another monster, much less individually powerful, though certainly not weak.

The original 1e version of G1 involved a great hall filled to bursting with giants and ogres. In that edition, it was a very tough, but manageable encounter that required quick thinking and strategy. In 3.x, it would be an auto-kill.