PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with region names

Balor01
2011-01-03, 02:52 PM
I'd kindly ask you to help me come up with some names for certain regions in my D&D world. So far I have unnamed the latter(or looking for a better name):

The Northrend (This is so WOW :smallyuk:): The lands of ice and snow, home to Frost giant tribes.

???: Land, obliterated by epic magic. AMF emanating mushrooms exist there, but also many monsters with strange templates, LOTS of self-replicating undead (ghouls, shadows), living spells, magic works funny there and it is all in all a nasty land. Try to avoid "Badlands", please.

???: This is city of the undead, lead by a cabal of highly neutral lich wizards. I'd like the name to emphasize its un-deathness and arcane knowledge. Maybe something about undeath, tomes and arcane magic?

???: Land of The Corrupter, The Defiler, The god of Rape, the Tainter. Anyway, also a very nasty part of land, which is sort of a place where a god of corruption was slain but not killed and pollutes the land around his corpse for tens of miles.

???: Land of construct-making gnomes. These gnomes actually survived and endured due to their amazing skill in making mechanic warriors and servants. I was thinking Artificer-will or ... something ... but did not really come up with something good.

Last one: Names of no less then a dozen dragon city-states. I would like maybe some weird names like (well it comes to mind) Mersshaulk. Difficult to pronounce and alien to humans. These cities worship Snake god, but are in constant conflict. Some really "made up, just sounding right" for small lizard fiefs/cities names would be great. I was looking for some snake/yuan-ti name generators, but found none.

Tnx so much in advance. I am wrecking my head with this for three days now :smallbiggrin:

Kiero
2011-01-03, 03:32 PM
Why not steal/hack old place names?

For example, here's a map of the Hellenistic world as at 275BC:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/95/Diadochi2.png

Chilingsworth
2011-01-03, 03:35 PM
For the crazy magic area:

Demowner-Hel
Wizards Doom
the Arcano-necroplex

for some dragon/lizard cities:

Wixitlican
Cyanaxis
Krildriz-Opt
Ssslistin

EDIT: In case you haven't thought of this: Might I suggest posting a list of the names you've taken a fancy to (once we generate some, of course.) and the sites you're using them for? That way, we'll be able to focus on the places you still need help with, and will have a better idea of what you like. :smallsmile:

Telonius
2011-01-03, 03:48 PM
???: Land, obliterated by epic magic. AMF emanating mushrooms exist there, but also many monsters with strange templates, LOTS of self-replicating undead (ghouls, shadows), living spells, magic works funny there and it is all in all a nasty land. Try to avoid "Badlands", please.

The Magefire Wastes
The Plains of [name of wizard responsible]

This is city of the undead, lead by a cabal of highly neutral lich wizards. I'd like the name to emphasize its un-deathness and arcane knowledge. Maybe something about undeath, tomes and arcane magic?

The Undying Citadel

Land of The Corrupter, The Defiler, The god of Rape, the Tainter. Anyway, also a very nasty part of land, which is sort of a place where a god of corruption was slain but not killed and pollutes the land around his corpse for tens of miles.

Aftermath
Foulrot

Land of construct-making gnomes. These gnomes actually survived and endured due to their amazing skill in making mechanic warriors and servants. I was thinking Artificer-will or ... something ... but did not really come up with something good.

Grindlesburg

Last one: Names of no less then a dozen dragon city-states. I would like maybe some weird names like (well it comes to mind) Mersshaulk. Difficult to pronounce and alien to humans. These cities worship Snake god, but are in constant conflict. Some really "made up, just sounding right" for small lizard fiefs/cities names would be great. I was looking for some snake/yuan-ti name generators, but found none.

Ssethlyss
Hoshantelan
Ktyllra
Sholinntarane

Oracle_Hunter
2011-01-03, 04:02 PM
I've always found it helpful to pick a Real World language and do your naming based off online dictionaries.

For example,

???: This is city of the undead, lead by a cabal of highly neutral lich wizards. I'd like the name to emphasize its un-deathness and arcane knowledge. Maybe something about undeath, tomes and arcane magic?
I'm going to go with Aramaic for no particular reason.

(1) Google up a translator site (http://www.atour.com/dictionary/)
(2) Translate "death"
(3) Pronounced "AeMuOT" so let's call the city Aemuot.

In general I find it hard to make an English compound-name for places that doesn't sound silly. For whatever reason, random foreign words just sound better :smallcool:

EDIT: For places that you'd like to have Common descriptive names, I try to pick something that peasants would choose.

For example,

"The Weird" is the sort of name that some peasants would give to a vaguely defined region filled with crazy stuff. They wouldn't bother elaborating it a dozen adjectives or compound names. It's just... "the Weird" or "the Weirdlands" if you must :smalltongue:

Still, I'd give it a formal name that an older order had come up with. Let's go with German this time:

"Weird Land" = "Schraeglant" (after phoentic alterations)

Vladislav
2011-01-03, 05:10 PM
The Weirding Wastes.

Nekramot.

???: Land of The Corrupter, The Defiler, The god of Rape, the Tainter. Anyway, also a very nasty part of land, which is sort of a place where a god of corruption was slain but not killed and pollutes the land around his corpse for tens of miles.
Darkblood Plains.

???: Land of construct-making gnomes. These gnomes actually survived and endured due to their amazing skill in making mechanic warriors and servants. I was thinking Artificer-will or ... something ... but did not really come up with something good.
Tinkerborough.

Piedmon_Sama
2011-01-03, 05:41 PM
I'd kindly ask you to help me come up with some names for certain regions in my D&D world. So far I have unnamed the latter(or looking for a better name):

[quote]The Northrend (This is so WOW :smallyuk:): The lands of ice and snow, home to Frost giant tribes.

Hyperborea. An actual, iconic real-world name used by ancient mapmakers and pulp fiction. It literally means "above the north."

Name it after its most notable gographic feature: Terra Spongae (Land of the Mushrooms, I used the greek 'spongos' over Latin 'fungus.') My declension is rusty but I think you could call it "Locuspongae," "Place of the Mushrooms," or "Locus Ingentaspongae," (Place of the Giant Mushrooms). That or "Insula Monstrorum/Monstrum Insula") ("MONSTER ISLAND!")

I'm already out of steam but I hope either of those helps!

Balor01
2011-01-04, 04:29 AM
Oh this is so cool :smallbiggrin:

Hyperborea: The lands of ice and snow, home to Frost giant tribes.

Demowner-Hel: Land, obliterated by epic magic. AMF emanating mushrooms exist there, but also many monsters with strange templates, LOTS of self-replicating undead (ghouls, shadows), living spells, magic works funny there and it is all in all a nasty land. Try to avoid "Badlands", please.

The Undying Citadel: This is city of the undead, lead by a cabal of highly neutral lich wizards. I'd like the name to emphasize its un-deathness and arcane knowledge. Maybe something about undeath, tomes and arcane magic?

Fellrot: Land of The Corrupter, The Defiler, The god of Rape, the Tainter. Anyway, also a very nasty part of land, which is sort of a place where a god of corruption was slain but not killed and pollutes the land around his corpse for tens of miles.

Tinkerficer: Land of construct-making gnomes. These gnomes actually survived and endured due to their amazing skill in making mechanic warriors and servants. I was thinking Artificer-will or ... something ... but did not really come up with something good.

Last one: Names of no less then a dozen dragon city-states:
Wixitlican
Cyanaxis
Krildriz-Opt
Ssslistin
Ssethlyss
Hoshantelan
Ktyllra
Sholinntarane

I guess eight names will do for serpent kingdoms. Nicee :smallsmile:

SilverLeaf167
2011-01-04, 04:52 AM
I just mapped my new campaign setting, a theocratic continent divided into smaller states. I see that you already have lots of names, but here are some examples of what you can do with the translation trick.
The campaign is about a catholic-ish church inquisition, so I got some words from Latin and mixed them around a bit. This is what I got:

Impater (Impensus-Pater, "Great Father") The capital state, and home of the religion's leader
Arboria (Arbor, "Treelands") Practically one big forest
Monbasis (Mon-Basis, "Mountain Root") Lots of mountains, next to a massive mountain range
Planager (Planus-Ager, "Flatlands") A large plateau bordered by mountains
Luciator (Lucius-Venator, "Fish Hunter") A small-ish state by the shore
Spacta (Spatha-Acta, "Sword Beach") A small peninsula, a large military base of the church
Solsolum (Sol-Solum, "Sun Soil") A large, barely inhabited desert
Frigupes (Frigus-Rupes, "Winter Rock") A glacier

Do they sound good?

Salbazier
2011-01-04, 04:55 AM
Demowner-Hel? from Dweomer or Demon?

My own ideas if even if you have decided already.

Everwinter/Dreadice/Farcold/Whitereaches

Field of Scourge/Nightmare's Womb/Mark of the Worldsbane

Loregrave/Sanctuary of Everlasting Arcana

God's Maleficence/Evil's Grudge/Deathborn waste

Crafters' Refuge/Arstopia

Chilingsworth
2011-01-04, 07:14 AM
Demowner-Hel? from Dweomer or Demon?

I was actually thinking "Dweomer" but, given the place... both would be appropriate.:smallsmile:

Also, glad this is working out for you, OP!

Eldan
2011-01-04, 07:34 AM
Let's just throw a few around:

Northland: Rimewastes. Hoarfrost. Skylands. Edge of the World.

The obliterated land: The Sundered Lands.

City of Undeath: The Eternal Archive. Litharge (stolen from The Sandman, I know). The Ivory Tower. Netzach ("Victory", cabalistic: the sephira of eternity). Emet ("Truth", the word for activating a golem. Also similar to Met "Death", which makes the golem deactivate.)

Land of the Corrupter: Tartaros (the prison of the titans in greek mythology). Charcharoth (The Red Maw, the greatest of werewolves in Tolkien's Silmarilion). Baneland. The Field of Bones.

Gnome Lands: Eudemonia. Alfheim (which refers to norse dwarves, who were very adept in magical arts and artifice. Dvergmal is dwarven magic). Machana (greek for "Machine"). Geartown.

Salbazier
2011-01-04, 09:34 AM
Gnome Lands: Eudemonia. Alfheim (which refers to norse dwarves, who were very adept in magical arts and artifice. Dvergmal is dwarven magic). Geartown.

Wasn't that Svartalfheim? To my knowledge, Elf is alf and dwarves is svartalf/black elf.