PDA

View Full Version : 10th level spells

molten_dragon
2011-01-03, 03:14 PM
I'm currently playing a shadowcraft mage in a high-level campaign. I've got some metamagic reduction shenanigans, so I'm able to heighten silent image spells and use spell slots 2 levels lower than the level that I'm heightening to.

This means that I can heighten a silent image to 11th level (the DM has waived the restriction on heighten being no higher than 9th level due to the fact that we're going epic in this campaign), using a 9th level slot. This also means that I can mimic 10th level spells with it, using my shadow illusion ability. Or I could if there WERE any 10th level spells available to mimic. Anyone got any ideas on what I could do with these slots, or are they essentially no better than my 8th level slots?

Yora
2011-01-03, 03:18 PM
10th level slots are really only useful for metamagic high level spells.

hamishspence
2011-01-03, 04:22 PM
In older editions, there were 10th level and higher spells.

In 3E, only metamagic spells fill those slots. Epic spells "count as" 10th for some purposes- but use a different system- you don't get bonus Epic spells for a high casting stat alone.

molten_dragon
2011-01-03, 05:22 PM

In 3E, only metamagic spells fill those slots. Epic spells "count as" 10th for some purposes- but use a different system- you don't get bonus Epic spells for a high casting stat alone.

That was what I was afraid of. I was just hoping there was something I could do with them.

Oh well.

Claudius Maximus
2011-01-03, 07:03 PM
If nothing else, the extra 10% reality will be nice.

Also your DM should know that even an epic caster needs to take a feat (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#improvedHeightenSpell) to heighten beyond 9th. You can get to 10th and maybe higher with certain effects like Sanctum Spell and Earth Spell, but you normally can't actually heighten to 10th by normal means, including metamagic reduction. Of course he's free to rule as he sees fit though.

Ravens_cry
2011-01-03, 07:12 PM

Really? I have PHB for 1st and 2nd edition AD&D, as well as the DMG for 1st, the PHB and DMG for 3.0 and 3.5 and the PHB for 4E, and I have yet to find any mention of such in those rotton cheetos encrusted tomes of forgotten lore.

aaron_the_cow
2011-01-04, 12:12 AM
Really? I have PHB for 1st and 2nd edition AD&D, as well as the DMG for 1st, the PHB and DMG for 3.0 and 3.5 and the PHB for 4E, and I have yet to find any mention of such in those rotton cheetos encrusted tomes of forgotten lore.

Its only in Dark Sun.

MammonAzrael
2011-01-04, 12:18 AM
And didn't someone in the Forgotten Realms in 2nd edition make a 12th level spell that made him the god of magic?

Of course, that's pretty fluff-tastic.

Tvtyrant
2011-01-04, 12:29 AM
The Netherese in Forgotten Realms had 10, 11 and 12 level slots (okay only 1 level 12 spell). 11 and 12 were banned after the aforementioned takeover from the goddess of magic, and 10 was made extremely difficult to cast (IE epic). There are also rules for actually casting the 11 level slot spells, but they have extremely awful rules attached as a prohibitive (50% death chance, massive DC, always fails the first time you cast it, the goddess comes after you, etc).

The only 11 level spell slots that got any press are Chronomancer's time spells (Ie time travel spells).

JBento
2011-01-04, 08:06 AM
I'm AFB during the weekdays, but I recall seeing a reference to 10th level spell in the entry of a... demon prince, I think, in FC... I? Hordes of the Abyss. Might want to check that out if you can.