PDA

View Full Version : A Chill in the Air

Hefty Lefty
2011-01-03, 03:33 PM
Ya'vara

Sand whips through the air in the dry heat of Ya'vara. The hard sun beats down on the people below. Foreigners are made clear by the sore red burns on the back of their necks, arms, and legs. In the city center, a bubbling fountain attracts people of all ages and races. A small stand nearby sells fruit drinks at the oasis. Nearby, a child plays in the water as his mother watches. A horse carries a wagon down the dirt-trodden street and stops as an armored orc beckons his rider over. Three young men stand in a group, two of orc blood and one human. Lastly, a goblin sits on the side of the fountain writing on parchment.

mucco
2011-01-03, 04:43 PM
"Phew", thought Deeth while staring at the fountain. "This has sure proved to be a harsh journey. That fountain over there will be a well-deserved refreshment."

Deeth, sweating from the long walk and sun-burned, walked up to the mother whose child was playing in the water, and tried not to frighten her with his aspect.

"Greetings, good woman. May tired travellers make use of this fresh water?"

Deeth also took the time to take a good look at the various folks around him. He knew Orcs didn't have a good reputation around the world.

firemagehao
2011-01-03, 05:49 PM
Hamm cups his hands and fills them with water splashing it on his face, sweaty from his workout at the temple of Kord (that's what they do there, right?). He takes note of the elf. "My name is Hammerfang Maggotcrusher. Your kind killed my father. Prepare to die." He says, drawing his weapon.

Princess
2011-01-03, 06:26 PM
Why is it so hot here? Why are there so many people in this terrible... why does this city even exist? whines the exasperated young woman, sweat pouring down her face. She looks over at hearing a deep, menacing voice and sees a challenge issued and a weapon drawn, taking to her feet and discretely approaching. What's wrong? she asks, forcing an innocent smile to make her voice more relaxed and pleasant.

TheUlric
2011-01-03, 06:27 PM
Aladan was standing some yards away from the fountain studying the goblin at the fountain, to see if he was apart of the goblin raiders. He notices an orc walk up to him and start talking to him.
Now Mr. Maggotcrusher no need to get so tense. As much as I believe that elves hurt your father it was not me, I'm dearly sorry. Now sheathe your weapon, please, You are blowing my cover.

firemagehao
2011-01-03, 06:40 PM
"Oh. Me sorry. Maybe next elf."Hamm says, sadly sheathing his weapon.

TheUlric
2011-01-03, 06:54 PM
Don't worry orc; just because our races our at each other's necks doesn't mean we have to do the same thing. We could be allies and make each other stronger. Aladan turns towards the half-elf female.Nothing is wrong my dear it was just a small amount of confusion. Are you all right you seem some what off put? If my observations are correct.

mucco
2011-01-03, 07:06 PM
"Blowing my cover?" I better get involved, this looks interesting... Plus, if I can befriend the Orc, chances are I'll be able to stop him from slaughtering random elf peasants around. Disregarding the woman for a second, Deeth turns to the three people who've just met up.

Hello, Mister Maggotcrusher. You look like a local - I'd pay you a handful of money if you will show me around the city, and especially a place where we can find some cover from the hot sun, he says, smiling to the girl. Speaking of cover, what were you talking about, Mister... Mister? I am Deeth, servant of the Cudgel. Pleased to make your acquaintance.

Princess
2011-01-03, 07:09 PM
The threat of random violence does put me off, I believe. Imagine that. Silly me... she says, backing off and watching the brewing conversation.

TheUlric
2011-01-03, 07:13 PM
Aladan turns towards the human speaking to him.Hello Deeth. I am Aladan Gwaelon just a humble ranger. Going back to cover and the reason why I was in it is because I followed a group of goblin raiders that have been attacking a lot of villages. Their trails cut off here. If you turn your eyes to the fountain you'll see a goblin now I would be foolish to assume he was a part of that group but one never knows. So I've been watching him to see what I can find out.
Aladan turns to the half elf. I meant no offense M'lady thanks for worrying about the situation. What is a young woman like yourself doing in this city?

Princess
2011-01-03, 07:23 PM
Losing my mind...and melting. she mutters under her breath, returning to a polite smile to provide a more official answer. I am hoping to find some adventure, actually. I'm looking for fortune, really, but I imagine that doing a little work probably won't hurt enough to take away from what treasure I can find out here.

TheUlric
2011-01-03, 07:29 PM
I'm sorry M'lady I forget my manners. The name is Aladan Gwaelon. Glad to meet another adventurer. We should get Hammet to find us a place so you can get out of the heat and we can all discuss future adventures over a nice pint of beer or something else that pleases everyone.

mucco
2011-01-03, 07:40 PM
Of course! I would gladly share a pint over this goblin issue; I've come to appreciate beer a lot, as they only drink that where I come from! chuckles Deeth, pleased at the thought of good, possibly dwarven, beer. Then he turns to the half-elf: You are right, work won't hurt. In fact, it turns out to be the best source of treasure around, in my experience.

Princess
2011-01-03, 07:45 PM
You seem awfully gleeful regarding the most tragic fact of the universe she sighs to Deeth, before continuing to everyone Yes, let's find some shade and get out of this blasted sun.

firemagehao
2011-01-03, 07:55 PM
"Okay Deeth. Beer on you." He says to the nice man. "Is Tavern good? There is one few blocks over. It has good ale." He says, to the lady, who has having trouble in the heat.
Hamm then says, leading them the the tavern, "and that is house, and that is house, and that is shop, and that is house, and that is house, and that is shop, and that is shop, and that is shop, and that is place with nice windows, and that is tavern." He then leads them into the tavern, "Two ales than something for them."

TheUlric
2011-01-03, 08:01 PM
Aladan looks around the tavern for any goblins or any shady character then says.Hammetfang your guide skills are unbelievable. This tavern has a great feel to it. How is everyone feeling on this beautiful day?

Princess
2011-01-04, 11:39 AM
Better, now that I'm out of that sun she replies, wiping sweat from her pale brow, I hope they have sweet wine here. She scans the hustle and bustle of the tavern for a place for all of them to be seated and proceeds towards it.

mucco
2011-01-04, 06:08 PM
Deeth takes his place at the table and looks around himself. Then he starts speaking, in a soft tone as to not draw attention.

Well, Mister Gwaelon - may I call you just Aladan? - I believe we'll have an easy time tracking down those goblins of yours, this town doesn't look that big. Today will be a good day for everyone if we catch them... there will surely be some reward to it, if they've been raiding several settlements as you earlier mentioned. We should start asking around here, taverns often are the best places for such information. Any of us are experienced at this? I guess I could try asking otherwise, not that I am very good with words.

firemagehao
2011-01-04, 09:11 PM
Hamm has another two ales. He goes up to a patron who looks about as strong as him and says, "Do you want to fight out back?"