PDA

View Full Version : Amulet of control giant chicken

the clumsy bard
2011-01-03, 03:56 PM
Ok not necessarily an amulet.

My DM has allowed us to get a major wondrous item of up to 200000 gp worth for Xmas. My dm character previously released a giant chicken that has powers similar to a cockatrice (but harder to resist aka higher dcs etc) As a joke I said I would totally take my item as a means to control the chicken and ride it.

How would you price an item that

a) resists the powers of the chicken
b) allows control of the chicken
c) allows me ride the chicken

Ytaker
2011-01-03, 04:38 PM
Would you consider armour?

"Proof against Transmutation" from Complete Arcane (p 142) is an armour ability that allows you to resist petrification.

Otherwise you'd probably have to invent a spell, like proof against petrification, with a long duration.

Can you charm the animal in some way? How smart is it?

Grendus
2011-01-03, 04:58 PM
Add on Dominate Monster 3/day, unless he added some kind of homebrew template that gives the uber-chicken an incredible will save odds are you'll be able to keep it controlled permanently. Not sure how much that would be, to add 3/day to a 9th level spell, but it's a DC 23 will save to resist. If the uber-chicken has a standard monster will, odds are a 1/day should suffice.

For riding the chicken... uhh, try a saddle. It's -2 to ride an animal that wasn't meant to be ridden, that's all, just bring the dominated uber-chicken to a leatherworker and have him craft a military saddle. If you're at the level where 200,000 gp is an appropriate gift, you can afford the measly few hundred to craft a huge/collosal saddle.

Kurald Galain
2011-01-03, 04:59 PM
How about an Amulet of Sanders that throws big fireballs? :smalltongue:

Chilingsworth
2011-01-03, 05:11 PM
How about an Amulet of Sanders that throws big fireballs? :smalltongue:

You'll have to have it cast grease, too!:smallbiggrin:

Grendus
2011-01-03, 05:12 PM
It needs to cast grease, then summon giant fireballs, followed by Maximized Summon Breading. Mmmmmh... deep fried breaded cockatrice.

Edit: swordsaged.

hewhosaysfish
2011-01-03, 07:43 PM
Add on Dominate Monster 3/day, unless he added some kind of homebrew template that gives the uber-chicken an incredible will save odds are you'll be able to keep it controlled permanently. Not sure how much that would be, to add 3/day to a 9th level spell, but it's a DC 23 will save to resist. If the uber-chicken has a standard monster will, odds are a 1/day should suffice.

If the chicken isn't too aggressive then some hefty bonuses to Handle Animal may be a more stable, long term solution.

AslanCross
2011-01-03, 07:56 PM
...giant chicken.

...FF-based avatar.

Do you mean:

http://media.moddb.com/cache/images/downloads/1/16/15604/crop_120x90/chocobo.jpg

...except with petrification powers? :smallbiggrin:

Kobold-Bard
2011-01-03, 07:57 PM
There's a Ring of Ooze Riding that lets you ride a Gelatinous Cube, maybe base it on that?

Asheram
2011-01-03, 08:14 PM
You have released El Pollo Diablo?! You Fool!

Safety Sword
2011-01-03, 08:26 PM
You have released El Pollo Diablo?! You Fool!

Oh dear, I nearly cried... :smallbiggrin:

the clumsy bard
2011-01-10, 01:05 PM
What book is ring of ooze riding from?

Seriously though... the chocobo picture is probably more accurate, but my demented dms vision is actually more akin to an actual chicken apparently!

Edit: Found item.

It is on pg. 85 of the arms and equipment guide.