PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5] Lion-themed Barbarian

Lateral
2011-01-03, 05:53 PM
How can I build a barbarian that builds on the Lion Totem theme? Obviously, I'm taking Spirit Lion Totem to replace Fast Movement and Lion Totem Awakening to replace Damage Reduction, and Trapkiller ('cause Trap Sense sucks), but I don't know what else to go with. I was thinking of replacing Rage with Ferocity. Could I have some help with good feats, more ACFs, good races that fit the theme, and some good multiclass/prestige options? Thanks!

Jeristo
2011-01-03, 07:26 PM
Well, for race, you could always go razorclaw shifter and move into weretouched master (werelion to replace weretiger). I always thought that would be fun.

Scoot
2011-01-03, 07:36 PM
Could you perhaps do a refluff of the Bear Warrior and say it turns you into a Lion?

I don't have the book in front of me (Can't find the darn thing), but I believe the only actual mechanic the change does is give a bonus to your ability scores.

Although I'm probably mistaken, so it would require more tweaking.

Complete Adventurer has the Animal Lord, you could take the Cat totem and summon dire lions.

Lateral
2011-01-03, 07:43 PM
Hmm... I don't know anything about Weretouched Master, but Shifter sounds like a good idea. I don't know whether it'd be Razorclaw or Longtooth if I did that. A refluff of an existing prestige isn't really what I'm looking for.

AslanCross
2011-01-03, 08:07 PM
The Longtooth would probably fit it better, as lions do kill with their bite rather than with their claws.

Weretouched Master, in a nutshell, allows shifters to get closer to their lycanthropic heritage. It does kind of overlap with Lion Totem barbarian, though, as you can get pounce.

Tokuhara
2011-01-03, 08:22 PM
There was a PrC printed in the original Oriental Adventures called Sighn Rager, which was designed for Sohei. When you rage, you become a lion. Ask your DM to waive the alignment restriction on the PrC

Flickerdart
2011-01-03, 08:24 PM
It could be worth taking Wild Cohort to get an actual lion following you around.

Greenish
2011-01-03, 08:25 PM
There was a PrC printed in the original Oriental Adventures called Sighn Rager, which was designed for Sohei. When you rage, you become a lion.Was that lion thing added in the 3.5 update?

Anyhow, Singh Rager requires you to be Lawful, and has lots of overlap with barbarian (rage, pounce).

[Edit]: How is it designed for Sohei, when the samurai has earlier and easier entry?

Tokuhara
2011-01-03, 08:27 PM
Was that lion thing added in the 3.5 update?

Anyhow, Singh Rager requires you to be Lawful, and has lots of overlap with barbarian (rage, pounce).

It was also in the original.

and hence, I suggested (later in the post, which you cut off) that he ask the DM to waive the alignment restriction

Greenish
2011-01-03, 08:32 PM
It was also in the original.Really? :smallconfused:

I must be blind, because I can't find it from the class description.

Tokuhara
2011-01-03, 08:36 PM
Really? :smallconfused:

I must be blind, because I can't find it from the class description.

Page 48. look it up.

Greenish
2011-01-03, 08:40 PM
Page 48. look it up.I'm looking at it right at the moment, but can't see any ability that would allow you to turn into a lion. :smallconfused:

[Edit]: What's the feature called?

Admiral Squish
2011-01-03, 09:18 PM
[shameless plug]
Well, if you can use homebrew, I would reccommend using my Greater Totem Barbarian Variant (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157302). My lion totem delays pounce until level 5, but gets a scaling bonus to charging damage, gives you a roar attack that automatically makes enemies shaken, with a chance of frightening, and it gains hide and move silently as class skills, as well as a scaling bonus to both skills.
[/shameless plug]

But yeah, all those other ideas are cool too.

gorfnab
2011-01-04, 12:13 AM
Other options:
Lion of Talisid - Book of Exalted Deeds
Bloodclaw Master - Tome of Battle - great for TWF Shifters focusing on Tiger Claw maneuvers

gallagher
2011-01-04, 12:30 AM
CTRL+F: "catfolk" gave me no results...

how has it gone this far with no suggestions of being catfolk?

gbprime
2011-01-04, 01:06 AM
Complete Adventurer has the Animal Lord, you could take the Cat totem and summon dire lions.

Zog that. Check out Primeval from Frostburn. You can BE a dire lion, and it's physical stats STACK with yours instead of replacing them!

Runestar
2011-01-04, 06:38 AM
The wemic (forgotten realms) is like a centaur with a lion bottom half. A tad steep at ECL8 (5 racial HD, +3LA), though a case could probably be made to reduce the LA to +2 (since centaur's LA also got reduced in 3.5).

Tokuhara
2011-01-04, 12:28 PM
About Wemic, it actually is decently balanced WITH the 5d8RHD...Right out of Races of Faerun...:

+8 str, +2 dex, +2 con, -2 cha
Large (10 ft face, 5ft reach)
40 speed
+4 Natural Armor
DV 60
+8 to jump checks
2 claw attacks

without the steep penalty, this would be overpowered

So, by compiling the better of all of the suggestions, I have come up with:

Race: Feral (Savage Species) Wemic
Class: Monster 5/Spirit Lion Barbarian 1/Primeval 10

Lateral
2011-01-04, 02:09 PM
Cool, but I don't have Frostburn, so I don't have Primeval. Too bad, it sounds awesome.

Gorilla2038
2011-01-04, 02:20 PM
Berserk from deities and demigods has a lion shapeshifting ability.

Flickerdart
2011-01-04, 02:32 PM
About Wemic, it actually is decently balanced WITH the 5d8RHD...Right out of Races of Faerun...:

+8 str, +2 dex, +2 con, -2 cha
Large (10 ft face, 5ft reach)
40 speed
+4 Natural Armor
DV 60
+8 to jump checks
2 claw attacks

without the steep penalty, this would be overpowered

So, by compiling the better of all of the suggestions, I have come up with:

Race: Feral (Savage Species) Wemic
Class: Monster 5/Spirit Lion Barbarian 3/Primeval 10/Cat Lord 2
Nope. You can only buy off 2 points of LA with 15 class levels.

Lateral
2011-01-04, 02:35 PM
Just to be clear, I'm not looking for a half-lion barbarian. I'm looking for a barbarian who fights like a lion and/or transforms into a dire lion.

Tokuhara
2011-01-04, 02:36 PM
Nope. You can only buy off 2 points of LA with 15 class levels.

I tallied in 4 LA, hence 16th level

gbprime
2011-01-04, 02:47 PM
or transforms into a dire lion.

Checked out Primeval yet? See above. :smallamused:

Lateral
2011-01-04, 02:50 PM
Cool, but I don't have Frostburn, so I don't have Primeval. Too bad, it sounds awesome.

That's still true.

Flickerdart
2011-01-04, 02:51 PM
I tallied in 4 LA, hence 16th level
Except that you have 20 levels in that build.

Lateral
2011-01-04, 03:40 PM
At this point, I'm thinking Barbarian 2/ Wildshape Ranger 8/ Primeval 10 with Spirit Lion Totem, Ferocity, and take Extra Rage a couple of times (and maybe Extra Wild Shape once or something). That nets me Primeval Form 7/day (which is plenty; I could also just use a use of Wild Shape (3/day), if I need a noncombat form), Rage 5/Day (assuming extra rage twice; also plenty), Pounce in any form (and, theoretically, Improved Grab in any form if I can take an ACF for my Wildshape Ranger or Primeval Fast Movement and keep the other one), and plenty of other good stuff.

Lateral
2011-01-05, 04:44 PM
Okay, I'm making some changes. I was thinking of replacing one level of Barbarian or Wildshape Ranger for a level of Fighter; the build's a bit featstarved if I'm taking Extra Wild Shape and a couple of Extra Rages. Any extra suggestions?