PDA

View Full Version : What harm may come of...

Kalaska'Agathas
2011-01-03, 07:18 PM
What harm may come of giving Bards access to ninth level spells without forcing them to go through the whole process of becoming a Sublime Chord?

I'm working on a variant Bard, based on the Pathfinder Bard (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/bard), with some minor changes (and the major change to spellcasting). They would get CHA to attack and damage at level six, 20% miss chance at level nine (increasing by 10% at levels twelve, fifteen, and eighteen, for a cumulative 50% miss chance), and eventually an extra standard action (probably at level sixteen, though it might be at level twenty). Additionally, I would change Bardic Knowledge (or at least the Pathfinder version (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/bard#TOC-Bardic-Knowledge-Ex-)) into Bardic Knack, which would work the same way but for all skills.

The big change would be to casting, of course, in giving Bards ninth level spells. They would gain them at seventeenth level, but have a limited number of spells known (as normal). I would give them six spells known of every level save eighth and ninth, which would receive five spells known. I am also considering another change - I would either give them the ability to trade out one spell known per day for another spell of the same or lower level from their spellbook (which would revert to the original spell after eight hours rest), increasing to two spells per day at seventh level, then three at fourteenth level, and finally four spells per day at twentieth level; or I would give them a "prepared slot" which they could "prepare" one spell of each level from their spell book which would add it to their list of spells known for that day. If I went with the latter, I would reduce their total number of spells known by one per level (five of levels zero through seven, four of levels eight and nine).

Does this invalidate the Pathfinder Sorcerer as a class? Does this make the Wizard unnecessary? I'm trying to bring the Bard up to the level of the 3.5 Druid, capable in melee combat, out of combat skills, and being a full spellcaster, but I'm worried that another spontaneous arcane caster might step on the Sorcerer's toes.

So what do you think?