PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Fleshraker Question

reservoirdog
2011-01-03, 07:24 PM
I am somewhat new to D&D and have been playing a Druid. We are playing 3.5, btw. We just leveled to 4 at the end of last session, and my DM approved me switching to a fleshraker dinosaur for the animal companion. I have been using the riding dog, which is a little more straightforward, so I have a couple of questions about the mechanics of the fleshraker.

1. When using the leaping pounce ability, if the fleshraker wins the opposed trip check, are steps 1 and 2 of the grapple process skipped? In the description, it seems to me that the fleshraker does not provoke and attack of opportunity for the grapple and does not have to succeed at the melee touch attack. As far as I can tell, after the opposed trip check, the opposed grapple check immediately follows. Am I reading this correctly?

2. When using a full attack, is the second claw attack made at +6 or +1? It is technically primary attack, so it seems to me this would also be at +6.

3. Why exactly is the rake attack at +2? I understand the math for all the other attacks (base attack bonus + strength multiplier - multiple attack penalty if it applies), but I don't understand why that one is +2. When used with the full attack as part of the leaping pounce, is it still +2?

4. Once an opponent is pinned, how do attacks happen in subsequent rounds if the opposing grapple check is passed/failed? If it is passed, the book says it deals automatic claw and rake damage. Does it get an additional attack? If the check is failed, does it get any sort of attack at all?

Thanks for any help!

AslanCross
2011-01-03, 08:27 PM
1. When using the leaping pounce ability, if the fleshraker wins the opposed trip check, are steps 1 and 2 of the grapple process skipped? In the description, it seems to me that the fleshraker does not provoke and attack of opportunity for the grapple and does not have to succeed at the melee touch attack. As far as I can tell, after the opposed trip check, the opposed grapple check immediately follows. Am I reading this correctly?

Yes. Many monsters that are intended to grapple usually have improved grab, which skips the need to make a touch attack and instead use one of their natural attacks to tie the grappling attempt to.

The fleshraker is a special case, but it does skip the need to make a touch attack and the AOO.

2. When using a full attack, is the second claw attack made at +6 or +1? It is technically primary attack, so it seems to me this would also be at +6.

Both claws are primary weapons. If they appear in the same attack line, they use the same attack bonus. It's the bite and tail that are penalized.

3. Why exactly is the rake attack at +2? I understand the math for all the other attacks (base attack bonus + strength multiplier - multiple attack penalty if it applies), but I don't understand why that one is +2. When used with the full attack as part of the leaping pounce, is it still +2?

I don't get that either. It should be +1, but the errata seems to gloss over it.

4. Once an opponent is pinned, how do attacks happen in subsequent rounds if the opposing grapple check is passed/failed? If it is passed, the book says it deals automatic claw and rake damage. Does it get an additional attack? If the check is failed, does it get any sort of attack at all?

It says automatic claw and rake damage with a successful grapple check. Like monsters with Constrict, it can deal damage by making a grapple check.

Thanks for any help![/QUOTE]

ShriekingDrake
2011-01-28, 10:39 AM

We debated this for sometime as well and did not figure out why either. We count the +2 as part of the leaping pounce.