PDA

View Full Version : Ability Score Boosting Invocations (3.5)

TabletopNuke
2011-01-03, 08:23 PM
I am on my once a year vacation, which means a brief return from the dead!

I want to make warlock invocations that function kinda like 24-hour self-only versions of Bear's Endurance, Bull's Strength and Cat's Grace.

As for balance, I'm not sure if it should be a lesser invocation or a greater with some other benefit thrown in. Let me know what you lot think.

Naturally I'll be adapting these for my psionic warlock (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131476) class too.

Fell Vitality
Lesser, 3rd
You gain an enhancement bonus to Constitution equal to +1/5 caster levels (rounded down).

This invocation has a duration of 24 hours and you can only benefit from one casting at a time.

OR

Fell Vitality
Greater, 5th
You gain an enhancement bonus to Constitution equal to +1/5 caster levels (rounded down).

In addition, you gain an enhancement bonus to natural armor equal to +1/5 caster levels (rounded down).

This invocation has a duration of 24 hours and you can only benefit from one casting at a time.

Unearthly Agility
Lesser, 3rd
You gain an enhancement bonus to Dexterity equal to +1/5 caster levels (rounded down).

OR

Unearthly Agility
Greater, 5th
You gain an enhancement bonus to Dexterity equal to +1/5 caster levels (rounded down).

In addition, you gain an enhancement bonus to all movement modes you possess equal to +5/5 caster levels (rounded down).

Monstrous Strength
Lesser, 3rd
You gain an enhancement bonus to Strength equal to +1/5 caster levels (rounded down).

Still don't know what the benefit should be for a Greater version

Flickerdart
2011-01-03, 08:31 PM
Considering that this is much weaker than just buying an item and takes up a valuable invocation slot, you could probably get away with having the souped up effect on the Lesser version.

TabletopNuke
2011-01-03, 09:07 PM
Considering that this is much weaker than just buying an item and takes up a valuable invocation slot, you could probably get away with having the souped up effect on the Lesser version.

Oh really?! Nice. My stuff always initially ends up too weak since I always try so hard to keep it from getting overpowered. I still gotta figure out what to add to the Strength one though. I don't have my books with me since I'm out of town, so its trickier. Maybe the warlock's melee attacks can make targets dazed if they fail a Fort save?

Thomar_of_Uointer
2011-01-03, 09:15 PM
There's no need to specify that you round down, you're supposed to do that anyways in D&D. You really ought to specify that the minimum bonus is +1.

Anyways, I don't like them because the bonuses are odd. Bad idea, because it only counts half the time. Make them a flat +2 enhancement bonus instead, and maybe have them impose some very minor penalty to offset it. Maybe make it scale by level too, or just make the only higher-level invocation a Greater or possibly Dark invocation that improves the bonus of all three invocations to +4. (And maybe even grant an additional benefit if you want Dark.)

A +4 enhancement bonus right off the bat is a bad idea, of course. +2 is very nice, but the only class that gets that sort of thing is the Dragon Disciple with stiff prerequisites at character level 7. Maybe very stiff penalties could balance a +4 enhancement bonus.

Strength could be based on a Chain Devil, but impose a -2 penalty to saving throws against spells with the electricity descriptor (and make you count as wearing metal armor for shocking grasp and heat metal.) Makes sense, because it's a melee-build buff, so the effect is minor but exploitable drawback. The Dark-level +4 invocation could grant a +2 natural armor bonus. If you want a +4 bonus at Lesser, make this electricity vulnerability instead.

Constitution could be based on a Lemure, imposing a -5' penalty to speed. Warlocks don't run around in medium or heavy armor, but a warlock who wants to be a tank or more survivable might consider dropping the buff if he needs the mobility. The Dark-level +4 invocation could improve the warlock's DR to be effective against even cold iron bludgeoning and piercing weapons. (DR /cold iron and slashing) If you want a +4 bonus at Lesser, make this halve the warlock's speed.

Dexterity could be based on a Hellcat, but impose a -10 penalty to Hide checks from the glow. This is an awesome invocation for ray-focused warlocks, but still a tough choice considering the other damage-boosting effects you can get. The Dark-level +4 invocation could grant a +10' boost to land speed. If you want a +4 bonus at Lesser, add a -2 size penalty to AC.

If you combine both the +4 at Lesser and higher-level boost ideas, make the higher-level invocation Greater-level and have it improve their bonus to +6.

TabletopNuke
2011-01-03, 10:54 PM
There's no need to specify that you round down, you're supposed to do that anyways in D&D. You really ought to specify that the minimum bonus is +1.
Oh, I think I'd forgotten that "always round down" rule. I hadn't felt the "Minimum +1" thing necessary since warlocks don't get access to lesser anomalies till level 6, but I can add it if you think I should.

Anyways, I don't like them because the bonuses are odd. Bad idea, because it only counts half the time. Make them a flat +2 enhancement bonus instead, and maybe have them impose some very minor penalty to offset it. Maybe make it scale by level too, or just make the only higher-level invocation a Greater or possibly Dark invocation that improves the bonus of all three invocations to +4. (And maybe even grant an additional benefit if you want Dark.)

A +4 enhancement bonus right off the bat is a bad idea, of course. +2 is very nice, but the only class that gets that sort of thing is the Dragon Disciple with stiff prerequisites at character level 7. Maybe very stiff penalties could balance a +4 enhancement bonus.

Strength could be based on a Chain Devil, but impose a -2 penalty to saving throws against spells with the electricity descriptor (and make you count as wearing metal armor for shocking grasp and heat metal.) Makes sense, because it's a melee-build buff, so the effect is minor but exploitable drawback. The Dark-level +4 invocation could grant a +2 natural armor bonus. If you want a +4 bonus at Lesser, make this electricity vulnerability instead.

Constitution could be based on a Lemure, imposing a -5' penalty to speed. Warlocks don't run around in medium or heavy armor, but a warlock who wants to be a tank or more survivable might consider dropping the buff if he needs the mobility. The Dark-level +4 invocation could improve the warlock's DR to be effective against even cold iron bludgeoning and piercing weapons. (DR /cold iron and slashing) If you want a +4 bonus at Lesser, make this halve the warlock's speed.

Dexterity could be based on a Hellcat, but impose a -10 penalty to Hide checks from the glow. This is an awesome invocation for ray-focused warlocks, but still a tough choice considering the other damage-boosting effects you can get. The Dark-level +4 invocation could grant a +10' boost to land speed. If you want a +4 bonus at Lesser, add a -2 size penalty to AC.

If you combine both the +4 at Lesser and higher-level boost ideas, make the higher-level invocation Greater-level and have it improve their bonus to +6.
Oh right, I'd forgotten that the ability-boosting magic items are even only and go up to +6. I'd been thinking of armor and weapon bonuses.

Those are some pretty cool ideas, but I'm honestly not too fond of invocations with too specific a source in the fluff. See Baleful Utterance. It's Dark Speech. Does it count as an evil act to use that invocation? It doesn't have the evil descriptor and you can have your CG eladrin-worshiping warlock learn it.

Any ideas for some less specific drawbacks to balance the +4 Lesser and +6 Greater bonuses? What about some kind of rock-paper-scissors thing? Like the Dex boost gives you a small HP penalty, the Con boost gives you a -1 attack penalty, and the Str boost gives you -5 speed penalty.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2011-01-04, 01:11 AM
Any ideas for some less specific drawbacks to balance the +4 Lesser and +6 Greater bonuses? What about some kind of rock-paper-scissors thing? Like the Dex boost gives you a small HP penalty, the Con boost gives you a -1 attack penalty, and the Str boost gives you -5 speed penalty.

I'd rather not have them overlap at all (because players might use all 3 at the same time.)

Strength bonus grants additional melee damage. Dexterity bonus grants higher AC, ranged attacks, and Reflex saves. Constitution bonus grants hp and Fortitude saves. We don't want any of the drawbacks to have those, so that it makes sense to use different abilities.

Strength: Fire vulnerability.

Dexterity: Cold vulnerability.

Constitution: Electricity vulnerability. Reduced speed.

(If you go with energy vulnerability, you could make them elemental. Wood/water/metal.)

Or just ignore all that and have it give +4 to one stat and -2 to the other 2.

Havvy
2011-01-04, 02:20 AM
These are already weak enough that adding further penalties does not help it.

Make it 1/3 caster level so that you get to +6 at 18th level and it is ready for epic at 21st level.

Remember, you are giving up 1 of your 12 at will choices to gain a flat bonus to an ability score. You lose versatility for pure power.

Really, you cannot dip for these and make it worth it at later levels, so making the least invocations wouldn't hurt either. And at most, this is saving you 36kgp for the +6 enhancement item boost. When you have over 700kgp, you really don't care about that over your invocation choices because you have 12 invocations and the enhancement bonus only costs less than 1/20 your CWBL.

Of course, if you are not playing in the Wish economy, making these an inherit bonus would be useful, but you'd have to cap at +5, so making the boost 1/4 CL rounded up would work, and actually be worth something.

----

And of course, another option is to remove the need for abilities and items like this (they are quite boring, if you think about it) is to remove the character wealth by level, and give the big six items for free.

TabletopNuke
2011-01-04, 02:53 AM
I'd rather not have them overlap at all (because players might use all 3 at the same time.)

Strength bonus grants additional melee damage. Dexterity bonus grants higher AC, ranged attacks, and Reflex saves. Constitution bonus grants hp and Fortitude saves. We don't want any of the drawbacks to have those, so that it makes sense to use different abilities.

Strength: Fire vulnerability.

Dexterity: Cold vulnerability.

Constitution: Electricity vulnerability. Reduced speed.

(If you go with energy vulnerability, you could make them elemental. Wood/water/metal.)

Or just ignore all that and have it give +4 to one stat and -2 to the other 2.
If I did a elemental vulnerability thing I'd want it to make sense. Hm...like Earth subtype and some kind of Air vulnerability for Str, Water subtype and Electricity vulnerability for Con, Fire subtype and Water or Cold vulnerability for Con?

What about some kind of Skill penalty instead?

Or maybe I could do the +4 bonus as a Greater invocation with no penalty?

NINJAED WITH NEW POST

These are already weak enough that adding further penalties does not help it.

Make it 1/3 caster level so that you get to +6 at 18th level and it is ready for epic at 21st level.

Remember, you are giving up 1 of your 12 at will choices to gain a flat bonus to an ability score. You lose versatility for pure power.

Really, you cannot dip for these and make it worth it at later levels, so making the least invocations wouldn't hurt either. And at most, this is saving you 36kgp for the +6 enhancement item boost. When you have over 700kgp, you really don't care about that over your invocation choices because you have 12 invocations and the enhancement bonus only costs less than 1/20 your CWBL.

Of course, if you are not playing in the Wish economy, making these an inherit bonus would be useful, but you'd have to cap at +5, so making the boost 1/4 CL rounded up would work, and actually be worth something.

----

And of course, another option is to remove the need for abilities and items like this (they are quite boring, if you think about it) is to remove the character wealth by level, and give the big six items for free.
Hmmm 1/3 might work, but I'm not sure if that's good for a Least. Leasts tend to be way less useful later on. Lesser might be okay with that though.

I'm not sure how Inherent would be. I do not have my DMG with me so I can't check the specifics of that, but I think its for permanent stuff.

I'm still figuring out the character wealth for my setting, but I'd like to stick with standard to start with.

blackmage
2011-01-04, 11:15 AM
DragoonWraith made a very nice invocation-based class here (http://forum.faxcelestis.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21), and made a number of new invocations for it. I think these more or less cover what you're looking for. For their power level...I think they're fine. As Least invocations I really want them, but as Lesser invocations I think other choices would crowd them out. Since they use the actual spells, they're a flat +4 that doesn't ever scale, so they are more useful early game (but then you have even fewer invocations available, so still trading versatility for punch), and late game the +6 bonus items outclass them.

Body Augmentation
Least; 2nd
You can use Bear's Endurance, Bull's Strength, and Cat's Grace, as the spells. Only one may be active at a time; using another, even on a different target, causes the previous effect to be removed.

Mind Augmentation
Least; 2nd
You can use Eagle's Splendor, Fox's Cunning, and Owl's Wisdom, as the spells. Only one may be active at a time; using another, even on a different target, causes the previous effect to be removed.

Havvy
2011-01-04, 12:53 PM
That is one of the problems with warlocks. If you are going to have less than one ability per level, at least have the abilities be useful from whatever level you take them to level 20.

I don't actually see inherent in the SRD. You could go with Profane or Racial too...but then you get too many bonuses to stats, which is bad.

The fact of the matter is, is that as long as you don't give penalties to having the invocation on, warlocks with the invocation would always have it on. So insight would sort of work. Weak reasoning, but meh.

TabletopNuke
2011-01-05, 12:17 AM
DragoonWraith made a very nice invocation-based class here (http://forum.faxcelestis.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21), and made a number of new invocations for it. I think these more or less cover what you're looking for. For their power level...I think they're fine. As Least invocations I really want them, but as Lesser invocations I think other choices would crowd them out. Since they use the actual spells, they're a flat +4 that doesn't ever scale, so they are more useful early game (but then you have even fewer invocations available, so still trading versatility for punch), and late game the +6 bonus items outclass them.
Ooh that class is pretty cool. I have a unexplained soft spot for Int-based casters/manifesters. DW always does cool stuff.

Body Augmentation
Least; 2nd
You can use Bear's Endurance, Bull's Strength, and Cat's Grace, as the spells. Only one may be active at a time; using another, even on a different target, causes the previous effect to be removed.

Mind Augmentation
Least; 2nd
You can use Eagle's Splendor, Fox's Cunning, and Owl's Wisdom, as the spells. Only one may be active at a time; using another, even on a different target, causes the previous effect to be removed.
I think my main concern about making those Least is that it would be giving 1st-level warlocks at-will access to a spell wizards wouldn't even have access to until 3rd level. Even making if it was self-only as I planned on making it, it still seems a bit much.

Also if the all the boost are combined into one invocation the warlock can only boost one ability for the group at a time. No using Cat's Grace and Bear's Endurance at the same time.

That is one of the problems with warlocks. If you are going to have less than one ability per level, at least have the abilities be useful from whatever level you take them to level 20.

I don't actually see inherent in the SRD. You could go with Profane or Racial too...but then you get too many bonuses to stats, which is bad.

The fact of the matter is, is that as long as you don't give penalties to having the invocation on, warlocks with the invocation would always have it on. So insight would sort of work. Weak reasoning, but meh.
I assumed warlocks would always have it on. The warlock is known for 24-hour self-buffs. As for typing, profane is evil and Racial doesn't make that much sense. I could kinda see insight working.

So what about Lesser invocations that provide a +2 boost that increases by 2 every 6 caster levels beyond 6 (+4 at 12, +6 at 18, ect), and also provides a scaling secondary ability? Like a +1/5 levels natural armor bonus for the Con one?

Thomar_of_Uointer
2011-01-05, 01:06 AM
So what about Lesser invocations that provide a +2 boost that increases by 2 every 6 caster levels beyond 6 (+4 at 12, +6 at 18, ect), and also provides a scaling secondary ability? Like a +1/5 levels natural armor bonus for the Con one?

That would probably work better.

Arbitrarious
2011-01-05, 01:12 AM
Does this seem alright then?

Fel Power
Least, 2nd

You are filled with the dark power of your patrons, your abilities elevated beyond those of mere mortals.

Using this invocation grants you a +2 enhancement bonus to the ability score of your choice. At 6th level this bonus increases to +4 and at 14th level it increases again to +6. If you would suffer ability damage, ability drain, or a penalty to the enhanced score it is reduced by an amount equal to the enhancement bonus. If this would reduce the result to 0 you are considered immune to the effect.

This effect lasts for 24 hours. Using this invocation again before it expires replaces the existing effect with the new one.

TabletopNuke
2011-01-05, 04:53 PM
Does this seem alright then?

Fel Power
Least, 2nd

You are filled with the dark power of your patrons, your abilities elevated beyond those of mere mortals.

Using this invocation grants you a +2 enhancement bonus to the ability score of your choice. At 6th level this bonus increases to +4 and at 14th level it increases again to +6. If you would suffer ability damage, ability drain, or a penalty to the enhanced score it is reduced by an amount equal to the enhancement bonus. If this would reduce the result to 0 you are considered immune to the effect.

This effect lasts for 24 hours. Using this invocation again before it expires replaces the existing effect with the new one.
That looks pretty good, but I want each ability to have it's own invocation so the warlocks can buff multiple abilities at once. The protection against ability damage/drain is a pretty cool idea though. I think I might use that.

Okay how do these look? Still seem like they should be Least? Also does anyone have ideas for secondary abilities for Int, Wis, and Cha boosting invocations? Also I'd really like some help figuring out bonus ability for out the Str-boosting one.

Fell Vitality
Lesser, 3rd
You gain a +2 enhancement bonus to Constitution. This bonus increases by 2 every 6 caster levels beyond 6 (+4 at 12, +6 at 18). If you would suffer ability damage, ability drain, or a penalty to Constitution, it is reduced by an amount equal to the enhancement bonus. If this would reduce the result to 0 you are considered immune to the effect.

In addition, you gain an enhancement bonus to natural armor equal to +1/5 caster levels.

Unearthly Agility
Lesser, 3rd
You gain a +2 enhancement bonus to Dexterity. This bonus increases by 2 every 6 caster levels beyond 6 (+4 at 12, +6 at 18). If you would suffer ability damage, ability drain, or a penalty to Dexterity, it is reduced by an amount equal to the enhancement bonus. If this would reduce the result to 0 you are considered immune to the effect.

In addition, you gain an enhancement bonus to all movement modes you possess equal to +5/5 caster levels.

Monstrous Strength STILL NEEDS SECOND EFFECT
Lesser, 3rd
You gain a +2 enhancement bonus to Strength. This bonus increases by 2 every 6 caster levels beyond 6 (+4 at 12, +6 at 18). If you would suffer ability damage, ability drain, or a penalty to Strength, it is reduced by an amount equal to the enhancement bonus. If this would reduce the result to 0 you are considered immune to the effect.

Arbitrarious
2011-01-05, 05:36 PM
Hows this for Str?

Monstrous Strength
Lesser, 3rd
You gain a +2 enhancement bonus to Strength. This bonus increases by 2 every 6 caster levels beyond 6 (+4 at 12, +6 at 18). If you would suffer ability damage, ability drain, or a penalty to Strength, it is reduced by an amount equal to the enhancement bonus. If this would reduce the result to 0 you are considered immune to the effect.

In addition you gain a bonus on opposed checks where size bonuses apply equal to +4 every 5 levels.

EDIT: To make secondary match others

TabletopNuke
2011-01-05, 06:15 PM
Hows this for Str?

Monstrous Strength
Lesser, 3rd

In addition you gain a bonus on opposed checks where size bonuses apply equal to +4 every 5 levels.

EDIT: To make secondary match others
Oooh I kinda like that! Lets see if other people think that a good idea.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2011-01-05, 09:17 PM
Looking nice. I'd call them overpowered, but they're really only useful for melee build warlocks (which I think are underpowered and need a boost.)

TabletopNuke
2011-01-05, 10:38 PM
Looking nice. I'd call them overpowered, but they're really only useful for melee build warlocks (which I think are underpowered and need a boost.)
Any warlock could use a Con or Dex boost. And if I make mental score boosting ones then almost everyone would want the Cha boost

If they're overpowered I could nerf fit somehow? We could go with the energy vulnerability or some kind of stat penalty?

Havvy
2011-01-06, 02:17 AM
Again, if you want to use your limited resources to boost a score usable for other limited resources, by all means go for it. Remember, there is a huge opportunity cost in choosing one invocation over another. Invocations should be a bit stronger than feats since though you get twice as many of them, they are pretty much where all your power comes from. Full spellcasters get at least 1 new ability per day that is twice as powerful, if not more, than any feat out there afterall.

TabletopNuke
2011-01-06, 05:57 PM
Again, if you want to use your limited resources to boost a score usable for other limited resources, by all means go for it. Remember, there is a huge opportunity cost in choosing one invocation over another. Invocations should be a bit stronger than feats since though you get twice as many of them, they are pretty much where all your power comes from. Full spellcasters get at least 1 new ability per day that is twice as powerful, if not more, than any feat out there afterall.
I'd actually been thinking in comparison to other Lesser Invocations, rather than feats. But I suppose by that logic I could compare them to Fell Flight. Being able to fly at will is pretty powerful and I think the magic items that allow that are way more than 36K. That makes me fell better about the balance.

Okay here's two that need their bonus ability checked out:

Monstrous Strength
Lesser, 3rd

In addition, you gain a bonus on opposed checks where size bonuses apply equal to +4/5 levels.

Malign Intellect
Lesser, 3rd
You gain a +2 enhancement bonus to Intelligence. This bonus increases by 2 every 6 caster levels beyond 6 (+4 at 12, +6 at 18). If you would suffer ability damage, ability drain, or a penalty to Intelligence, it is reduced by an amount equal to the enhancement bonus. If this would reduce the result to 0 you are considered immune to the effect.

In addition, you are 1 rank/5 caster levels in all Knowledge skills. If you do actually have ranks in a Knowledge skill, use the larger number.

And here's two that need bonus abilities:

Dark Magnetism
Lesser, 3rd
You gain a +2 enhancement bonus to Charisma. This bonus increases by 2 every 6 caster levels beyond 6 (+4 at 12, +6 at 18). If you would suffer ability damage, ability drain, or a penalty to Charisma, it is reduced by an amount equal to the enhancement bonus. If this would reduce the result to 0 you are considered immune to the effect.

Otherworldly Clarity
Lesser, 3rd
You gain a +2 enhancement bonus to Wisdom. This bonus increases by 2 every 6 caster levels beyond 6 (+4 at 12, +6 at 18). If you would suffer ability damage, ability drain, or a penalty to Wisdom, it is reduced by an amount equal to the enhancement bonus. If this would reduce the result to 0 you are considered immune to the effect.

DracoDei
2011-01-06, 06:43 PM
Personally, I actually LIKE odd numbers for ability score bonuses... means that what you actually have as your base MATTERS between odd and even with the same ability modifier. This is useful in point-buy. I allow odd numbered ability score bonus items (gloves of dexterity etc), and wouldn't think twice about allowing a race with odd ability score modifiers into my game... just the players have to have their basic character concept (probably including race and class) BEFORE they roll the dice to find out their ability scores.

I realize I am in the minority here, but I thought I would mention it.

The extra ability for Malign Intellect is MOSTLY like a smaller version of Jack-of-All Trades in that it lets you roll without putting the skill-points in it. The virtual skill ranks are a small bonus on top of that.

It doesn't really fit the warlock's concept (of not having powers that get used up/tired out), but here is a wild idea for an extra power for Dark Magnetism:
"1/day/5 class levels you may re-roll any d20 roll that a character's charisma modifier is NORMALLY added to (rather than by means of a feat, magic item, or other unusual situation not specific to the circumstance itself). You must make this decision before you discover if you succeed or not, and you must abide by the second roll, even if it is lower than the first."
I probably phrased that badly, but I wanted it open-ended but not TOO open ended, and I didn't feel like looking up the boiler-plate for re-roll mechanics. Perhaps it could make it as if you didn't even have the invocation (with no replacement obviously, and negating its current effects) for 1 hour after you complete the check?

And here for Otherworldly Clarity that DOESN'T have the problem I mentioned above:
"You may spend a move action to enhance your vision and/or hearing, gaining +10 to all spot, search, and listen checks until the end of your turn. However at the end of your turn the sense becomes overloaded, effectively blinding/deafening you until the end of your next turn."

How would the "ability damage reduction" interact with Feeblemind, since that reduces Cha and Int to 1 each?

Havvy
2011-01-07, 12:37 AM
Saying +2 every 6 levels makes too much math (divide by 6, multiply by 2) for the average person. +1 every 3 levels (divide by 3) is easier to keep track of. As such, for calculation purposes, I believe the latter is better. Plus what Draco Dei says, for numeric bonuses.

Arbitrarious
2011-01-07, 12:54 AM
Playing with names some too.

Allure of the Pit
Lesser, 3rd

You gain a +2 enhancement bonus to Charisma. This bonus increases by 2 every 6 caster levels beyond 6 (+4 at 12, +6 at 18). If you would suffer ability damage, ability drain, or a penalty to Charisma, it is reduced by an amount equal to the enhancement bonus. If this would reduce the result to 0 you are considered immune to the effect.

In addition if you are subject to a spell or effect that would reveal your alignment, natural form, or whether you are lying you may make a caster level check against the effects effective caster level. Success indicates that no information is revealed (such as the detect spells) or that you may ignore the effect (such as zone of truth). The effects controller is not made aware that the effect is being foiled. You gain +1 bonus on this opposed check for every 5 levels.

Glimpse of Beyond
Lesser, 3rd

You gain a +2 enhancement bonus to Wisdom. This bonus increases by 2 every 6 caster levels beyond 6 (+4 at 12, +6 at 18). If you would suffer ability damage, ability drain, or a penalty to Wisdom, it is reduced by an amount equal to the enhancement bonus. If this would reduce the result to 0 you are considered immune to the effect.

In addition, the disjointed fragments of reality you see bleed into the world around you. Creatures within 30ft who can perceive you must make a will save (DC 10 + 1/2 HD + Cha Mod) or be slowed as the spell for 1 round + 1 additional round for every 5 levels beyond 5th as their minds try to process the alien geometries. Regardless of whether they pass or fail, creatures subjected to your Glimpse of Beyond or immune to further exposure for 1 hour. Mindless creatures are immune to this effect.

DracoDei
2011-01-07, 01:25 AM
Plus what Daniel Draco says, for numeric bonuses.
What is this about "Daniel"?

Havvy
2011-01-07, 01:38 AM
It's how I read your name. :P (Edited)

Allure of the Pit could be a least invocation. Glimpse of Beyond is a nice battlefield control effect.

Arbitrarious
2011-01-07, 01:49 AM
Allure of the Pit could be bumped to non-detection, but it seems counter intuitive to something that increases charisma. thoughts?

Havvy
2011-01-07, 02:16 AM
No wait. I wasn't paying attention to the fact that DCs for Warlocks are charisma based. This would work well as a lesser invocation then.

TabletopNuke
2011-01-07, 11:11 PM
Personally, I actually LIKE odd numbers for ability score bonuses... means that what you actually have as your base MATTERS between odd and even with the same ability modifier. This is useful in point-buy. I allow odd numbered ability score bonus items (gloves of dexterity etc), and wouldn't think twice about allowing a race with odd ability score modifiers into my game... just the players have to have their basic character concept (probably including race and class) BEFORE they roll the dice to find out their ability scores.

I realize I am in the minority here, but I thought I would mention it.
I like odd too. I never got the whole "Even only 'cause odds don't count", since you can have odd scores to start with. It does feel weird to me when I see races with odd modifiers since the only official one I know off is the chimera.

The extra ability for Malign Intellect is MOSTLY like a smaller version of Jack-of-All Trades in that it lets you roll without putting the skill-points in it. The virtual skill ranks are a small bonus on top of that.
So you don't think that's enough then?

It doesn't really fit the warlock's concept (of not having powers that get used up/tired out), but here is a wild idea for an extra power for Dark Magnetism:
"1/day/5 class levels you may re-roll any d20 roll that a character's charisma modifier is NORMALLY added to (rather than by means of a feat, magic item, or other unusual situation not specific to the circumstance itself). You must make this decision before you discover if you succeed or not, and you must abide by the second roll, even if it is lower than the first."
I probably phrased that badly, but I wanted it open-ended but not TOO open ended, and I didn't feel like looking up the boiler-plate for re-roll mechanics. Perhaps it could make it as if you didn't even have the invocation (with no replacement obviously, and negating its current effects) for 1 hour after you complete the check?
The problem with limited use invocation abilities is the character can just dismiss and recast the invocation.

And here for Otherworldly Clarity that DOESN'T have the problem I mentioned above:
"You may spend a move action to enhance your vision and/or hearing, gaining +10 to all spot, search, and listen checks until the end of your turn. However at the end of your turn the sense becomes overloaded, effectively blinding/deafening you until the end of your next turn."
Hmm that one is kinda cool and fits with the Wis bonus very well, but it doesn't scale by level like the rest. Maybe the benefit lasts for one round/5 levels?

How would the "ability damage reduction" interact with Feeblemind, since that reduces Cha and Int to 1 each?
Hmm, I'm not sure. Maybe it would have the normal effect since it reduces it to a set amount?

Saying +2 every 6 levels makes too much math (divide by 6, multiply by 2) for the average person. +1 every 3 levels (divide by 3) is easier to keep track of. As such, for calculation purposes, I believe the latter is better. Plus what Draco Dei says, for numeric bonuses.
Pfff, that's easy by DnD standards. I'd originally figured it would be something like that too.

Playing with names some too.

Allure of the Pit
Lesser, 3rd

In addition if you are subject to a spell or effect that would reveal your alignment, natural form, or whether you are lying you may make a caster level check against the effects effective caster level. Success indicates that no information is revealed (such as the detect spells) or that you may ignore the effect (such as zone of truth). The effects controller is not made aware that the effect is being foiled. You gain +1 bonus on this opposed check for every 5 levels.

Glimpse of Beyond
Lesser, 3rd

In addition, the disjointed fragments of reality you see bleed into the world around you. Creatures within 30ft who can perceive you must make a will save (DC 10 + 1/2 HD + Cha Mod) or be slowed as the spell for 1 round + 1 additional round for every 5 levels beyond 5th as their minds try to process the alien geometries. Regardless of whether they pass or fail, creatures subjected to your Glimpse of Beyond or immune to further exposure for 1 hour. Mindless creatures are immune to this effect.
Those names are way cooler than mine. You can go ahead and name everything lol.

As for Allure of the Pit, the ability sounds good, but wouldn't someone using a detect alignment ability know something was amiss when they didn't detect any alignment? What about things like true seeing only revealing the character's current form and alignment detection reading the same alignment (ie a LN character would see the warlock as LN.)

Glimpse of Beyond seems too powerful to me. All creatures within 30 feet who fail their save slowed for several rounds? Maybe confusion or something instead? Maybe you have to direct your focus on particular target for them to be subjected to the effect?

Allure of the Pit could be bumped to non-detection, but it seems counter intuitive to something that increases charisma. thoughts?
I think full on nondetection would be a bit much.

Arbitrarious
2011-01-07, 11:26 PM
Those names are way cooler than mine. You can go ahead and name everything lol.

Thank you, I try.

As for Allure of the Pit, the ability sounds good, but wouldn't someone using a detect alignment ability know something was amiss when they didn't detect any alignment? What about things like true seeing only revealing the character's current form and alignment detection reading the same alignment (ie a LN character would see the warlock as LN.)

Nothing detects neutrality and most detect spells only detect a single alignment axis (good, evil, chaos, law) so must people wouldn't raise an eye at a detect spell flashing nothing up. Throw a detect evil and nothing pings, just means nothing evil is nearby. I don't really have a problem with a high level spell noticing something is wrong.

Glimpse of Beyond seems too powerful to me. All creatures within 30 feet who fail their save slowed for several rounds? Maybe confusion or something instead? Maybe you have to direct your focus on particular target for them to be subjected to the effect?

Oddly enough I think confusion is worse then slow because it causes loss of control. Slow will tie you down, but you can still cast/manifest/initiate/etc. Confusion can end you. But that is my opinion. I was kind of keen on the passive aspect, but I could see free/swift action per turn for single target.

I think full on nondetection would be a bit much.
Maybe. That's why I didn't start there. Again it also seems odd. "Hey Look! I have more presence, which for some reason is now harder to detect."

Arbitrarious
2011-01-07, 11:32 PM
Decided to play with the Int one.

Demonic Consultation
Lesser, 3rd
Fiendish sages whisper their dark council into your ears; granting you a +2 enhancement bonus to Intelligence. This bonus increases by 2 every 6 caster levels beyond 6 (+4 at 12, +6 at 18). If you would suffer ability damage, ability drain, or a penalty to Intelligence, it is reduced by an amount equal to the enhancement bonus. If this would reduce the result to 0 you are considered immune to the effect.

In addition, you may draw upon their forbidden knowledge to glen relevant information. This functions as bardic lore. Treat your effective bard level as 1/2 your caster level.

TabletopNuke
2011-01-08, 12:06 AM
Oddly enough I think confusion is worse then slow because it causes loss of control. Slow will tie you down, but you can still cast/manifest/initiate/etc. Confusion can end you. But that is my opinion. I was kind of keen on the passive aspect, but I could see free/swift action per turn for single target.
I am still on a trip and don't have CA or CM with me (leaving all the DnD books behind is the hardest part of travel), so I can't check what level the slowing/confusing invocations are. If you could do that for me I would be most grateful.

Decided to play with the Int one.

Demonic Consultation
Lesser, 3rd
Fiendish sages whisper their dark council into your ears; granting you a +2 enhancement bonus to Intelligence. This bonus increases by 2 every 6 caster levels beyond 6 (+4 at 12, +6 at 18). If you would suffer ability damage, ability drain, or a penalty to Intelligence, it is reduced by an amount equal to the enhancement bonus. If this would reduce the result to 0 you are considered immune to the effect.

In addition, you may draw upon their forbidden knowledge to glen relevant information. This functions as bardic lore. Treat your effective bard level as 1/2 your caster level.

Firstly, the fluff for that is fantastic, but bardic knowledge is considered less than a feat usually, and definitely not worth the same as +1 natural armor or +5 speed/5 level. Maybe there's something from the Archivist class from Heroes of Horror that would be relevant? Again I do not have my book, so someone else would have to look or wait till I get back from my trip in a few days.

TabletopNuke
2011-01-11, 01:11 AM
Okay I tried changing Glimpse of Beyond's bonus ability (changes highlighted in red). Also I'm back from vacation so I can reference my rulebooks again.

Glimpse of Beyond
Lesser, 3rd

In addition, you can force the disjointed fragments of reality you see into the minds of other creatures, distracting them and slowing their reactions. Once per round as a free action you may force one creature within 30 ft who can perceive you. They must make a Will save or be slowed as the spell for 1 round + 1 additional round/5 caster levels as their minds try to process the alien geometries. Regardless of whether they pass or fail, creatures subjected to this ability are immune to further exposure for 1 hour. This is a mind-affecting effect.