PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder - Gestalt Artificer

erold
2011-01-03, 10:38 PM
Sooooooooooo....

At the end of the last game, I told the DM that I wanted to start the next campaing at lvl 10th and he said that it was ok (our campaings usually end at that lvl, so I wanted to try it). Other player, said he wanted to be the "bad guys", and our DM agreed; and other player said he wanted gestalt, and the DM also agree to this.

I really had my little eye set on the Artificer for some time now. True, I didn`t really expected to be one side of a gestalt build, but I reaaaaaaally want to try the class.

We have set our own calculation for DCīs from the artificer Weird Science Inventions (the DC will scale, and INT will contribute to make it higher).

I really have no clue which class will be a good Yan for the build.
I should mention that I am expecting to buy an 17-18 for INT because there is not going to be any other way of raise the DC of the inventions, (DM call), so there is not a lot of points to spare (20 point buy).

So, suggestions?

Starbuck_II
2011-01-03, 11:06 PM
Sooooooooooo....

At the end of the last game, I told the DM that I wanted to start the next campaing at lvl 10th and he said that it was ok (our campaings usually end at that lvl, so I wanted to try it). Other player, said he wanted to be the "bad guys", and our DM agreed; and other player said he wanted gestalt, and the DM also agree to this.

I really had my little eye set on the Artificer for some time now. True, I didn`t really expected to be one side of a gestalt build, but I reaaaaaaally want to try the class.

We have set our own calculation for DCīs from the artificer Weird Science Inventions (the DC will scale, and INT will contribute to make it higher).

I really have no clue which class will be a good Yan for the build.
I should mention that I am expecting to buy an 17-18 for INT because there is not going to be any other way of raise the DC of the inventions, (DM call), so there is not a lot of points to spare (20 point buy).

So, suggestions?

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/artificer
Linking helps discussions.
The class is pretty strong with its invention ability:
Deathray (big boom), mass buffing, etc.

Remember it can activate all same time if giving a device multiple spells (although limited use/day unless UMD check). Example shows doesn't need to be same target (1 device buffs with shield while using Lightning bolt).

Urpriest
2011-01-03, 11:22 PM
For Int-based classes Factotum is a favorite for the other side of the gestalt, with Warblade a more martial choice.

erold
2011-01-04, 10:59 AM
We are trying to use pathfinder only (no 3.5) and there relies my complication, otherwise I would use factotum or hexblade in a heartbit

Mongoose87
2011-01-04, 12:18 PM
Well, what do you want to do? There are different options, depending on the role you want to take.

erold
2011-01-04, 12:31 PM
Well, i am open to all suggestions.

I would like to use a fullplate (because I probably will have sucking dex).
I thought about fighter for 7 lvls (so i can go full speed in heavy armor), but i donīt know if it is worthy.

Classes using INT as a casting stat have even worse defenses than the artificer (as they canīt cast in armor normally), but reach 9th lvl spells (allways worthy). I think i could try to make inventions using spells without saves, but i belive this would be a bit cheesy (unless the rest of the party is optimized?)

That is why I keep asking for advice; i have no clue what to do.

PS: Sorry if somethings sound a bit weird, i have my english skills gathering dust in the back of my brain

SamsDisciple
2011-01-04, 02:35 PM
I would suggest not doing fighter for the fact that you can beef up your armor very fast with inventions. A favorite mix of mine with artificer is either rogue or paladin and make use of ray guns with SA/smite. With paladin you could have full BAB and your armor and a special steed to boot. With rogue you will be the epic skill monkey doing amazing things without traditional magic. Both have nice variants on the srd and can be adjusted to how you like

erold
2011-01-04, 08:34 PM
Paladin is indeed great, but we must be evil, so it is not really a choice, but I concurr, otherwise it would be amazing

Jjeinn-tae
2011-01-04, 10:10 PM
It's a variant, but if you weren't wanting gestalt (apologies if that is not what you meant) what about an Artificer//Psionic Artificer? Able to craft every item in the game, whether mundane, magical or psionic. The Psionic Artificer I think is mentioned briefly right next to the normal one in the Eberron Campaign Setting.

erold
2011-01-04, 11:20 PM
I belive i will go by Artificer//Alchemist

And will be a caster kiiller (flavorwise)