PDA

View Full Version : 40k Deathwatch Shadow Over Jericho IC

Jatyu
2011-01-03, 11:57 PM
You have been chosen to join the Deathwatch, the elite chapter of Space Marines, dedicated to protecting the galaxy from the xenos threat. Your Kill-team was forged under the command of Watch Captain Invictus. His training was brutal, but necessary. For your mission will test the limits of your strength...

You have been travelling through the warp for what has seemed to be weeks, your mission has been shrouded in secrecy, and as exit the warp, your captain calls you for briefing.

Marines, we are approaching the world of Pellor. This world has become the target of the Tau. They have sought to convert the population, and unfortunately they are succeeding. Recently, it appears that an Etheral has arrived on the planet. We believe it is Aun'shas, who was responsible for the loss of at least 3 Agriworlds and a Promethium mining planet. Should the Tau manage to capture Pellor, the rest of the system will likely fall.

It has been decided that Aun'shas must be eliminated. He is well protected however, hidden deep in Tau territory. We believe he is located within a Tau military base, located roughly 50 kilometres east of the city of Tericho. The human population inside will likely be hostile, and should the Tau be alerted to your presence, they will likely pull him off the planet.

We have acquired a ship from the Rogue Trader Erico Antulus. You will be dropping down to the planet via the Tericho Spaceport. You can not let word escape that you have landed on the planet. Once landed, infiltrate the base and eliminate Aun'shas.

Any questions?

rb780nm
2011-01-04, 12:39 AM
"Captain, should we expect to encounter any of the Tau battlesuits? Have they been sighted onworld?" Lucian asks.

Jatyu
2011-01-04, 03:19 AM
Hmm... While there have been no major sightings of Battlesuits on the planet itself, the Etheral will likely be accompanied by an elite guard force. It would not be suprising if one or more Battlesuits were present.

Donan
2011-01-04, 03:42 AM
The Storm Warden Apothecary stands behind his battle brothers where he can see them all, a habit he's picked up over the years to remind himself of his duty to space marines he fights with. An assination mission wasn't the most honourable of objectives to him, but it was still possible they would meet this Etheral in combat and he would relish the chance. If it was done with a silent sniper shot then so be it,their duty to the Imperium called for no less then victory.

"Thank you Watch Captain. What level of technology do the natives posess? They have a spaceport, but they may not be its builders. Do we have an estimate of the number of Tau planetside and are there any of their ships in the system? Finally, can I ask if there are any secondary targets?"

Jatyu
2011-01-04, 07:36 AM
Pellor is not your typical planet. The natives are feral savages and mutants, remnants from before the age of strife. They have no understanding of technology, they simply follow the strongest. They will not be a problem.

The colonies are relatively new, established in the last few hundred years. They are the builders of the city. They are the ones the tau have targeted, and as such, are the ones who must be avoided.

The Tau themselves control a little over 15% of the planet, however their influence has spread far. We estimate no more than a million of the Tau and their mercenaries and there appears to be only 3 Tau spacecraft orbiting the planet, one of which is the Etheral's personal ship.

The Etheral is your primary and only objective. His elimination is paramount, should this planet be saved from the xeno's taint.

boj0
2011-01-04, 08:40 AM
"Very well, how shall we deal with the natives who have fallen to the Tau's lies? Should we deal with the heretics?"

Donan
2011-01-04, 09:38 AM
Brother Thale paused and then bowed his head in acknowledgment. However, another thought had occured to him..

"Watch Captain, what if we were able to capture the Xeno alive, to transport it back to Erioch for interrogation?"

Now, that would be a highly worthy challenge and a great prize if, no, when they succeeded, so long as the Captain agreed.

Donan
2011-01-04, 09:43 AM
[roll0]

Just making a roll to see how much Thale would know about the Tau. Target of 51 or lower unless you want any modifers involved.

Edit: Failed.

Jatyu
2011-01-04, 12:07 PM
The natives are a blight on the face of the Imperium, unfortunately there is no time to purge the planet. However, once the Etheral is dealt with, they will face swift retribution. For now, focus on eliminating the target. Now, should you believe it possible to capture the target, then by all means. He will be guarded though, and extracting him may well be impossible.

rb780nm
2011-01-04, 05:18 PM
Knowledge Roll regarding Tau

[roll0] vs 40

I'll wing this a little, if the GM thinks I ought to know more or less, I'll retcon as appropriate.

"Brothers, my chapter has fought the Tau many times. I have been involved in several actions myself, and I have studied the various records of the Tau kept on Macragge.

"The Tau are not strong, but their xenos tech is strange and powerful. We may want to consider our armament choices carefully - we should consider our anti-armor capabilities, to fight both their hovertanks and their battlesuits."

Essie
2011-01-04, 06:54 PM
Fortitude Kairea, scourge of archives, eraser of texts, bane of custodians, sits at the back, drumming his fingers on his greaves in deep thought. There's already a little patch of worn-away Deathwatch black paint there, revealing his true colours - so to speak - of deep red and bone white. He's not exactly comfortable - the warp-reek of the two Sanctioned Witches on this Kill-Team puts paid to that - but he's willing to tolerate the opinions of people who think they know better than the Templars what to do with their kind, if it's for the greater good. By Dorn, unfortunate turn of phrase.

Upon hearing about the disposition of the Tau fleet presence in the system, however, his ears perk up, literal gears beginning to whir in his head.

'Is there any more precise intelligence as to the location of the Aun'shas? If we are to drop onto a largely feral planet, that is entirely hostile to us, to quietly deliver His mercy to an alien leader, our odds of success are low - if we even get near this military base,. The sons of the Emperor are hardly the most subtle assassins, and blending in - well ...

He gestures to those around him.

'It might be more advisable to lay some form of snare, trap, or ambush - to lie in wait, possibly. If the xenos leader will flee at the first sign of trouble, then we might be able to force it out into the relative open, where it would be more vulnerable.

Sir Lucian - what do you know about the vessels of the Tau? We have heard that the Aun'shas has a 'personal vessel' - is this likely to be a surface-to-orbit affair, or some sort of shuttle? If the latter, then we might wish to consider using that as a possible point of attack.'

Jatyu
2011-01-04, 10:01 PM
While we can not know for certain the location of the target. This military base is the most heavily defended location on the planet. It is also the where his personal craft is orbiting. If he is not there, then it is at least his base of operations.

His personal ship is an Emmisary-class cruiser. It is more heavily armoured than most Tau ships, however it lacks firepower. Of the other two craft, it is the battleship which is most dangerous. It appears to be a Custodian-class carrier, and if the reports are to be believed, it is one of the most heavily armed ships in the Tau fleet. The final craft is a Messenger-class starship, used more for transport than anything else. Its armour and weaponry are weak and it would likely use the battleship as protection, should fighting occur.

None of these craft are designed to attack surface targets, however it is likely that there are fighters or bombers attached to the vessels. We do not believe that the Tau would bomb their own installation, so you should be free from aerial attacks.

Assassination is a job for the Assassinorum, they however are not capable of completing the mission. While it is advisable to avoid contact untill you have reached the Tau base, once you are there it will not be necessary. The only way off the planet is via dropship. Prevent the target from escaping, then kill him.

Pietato
2011-01-05, 12:08 AM
"Will the Rogue Trader vessel be able to provide us with some sort of intelligence support? If we could use its sensors to keep tack of this... 'Ethereal's' cruiser, whether it is in orbit or docked, then we would be able to adjust our tactics accordingly."

Donan
2011-01-05, 04:44 AM
Thale glances at the Black Templer, shaking his head lightly. "I must disagree Brother Kairae. I am unsure of your chapter's traditions but many Chapters undergo Scout training. With Stummers, Scout Armour and silenced weaponry we would be able to move with both speed and stealth and close on this Xeno undected. However, it does lead to me asking for details on the style of clothing worn on this planet, it may be possible for us to acquire some for ourselves and it would make movement in the city easier."

Jatyu
2011-01-05, 06:33 AM
While Scout armour may provide advantages to stealth and speed, it lacks the protection that may be necessary for this mission. Should you choose to use Scout armour, be you will not be able to change mid mission.

The Rogue Trader's vessel was not designed for tactical support, however its long range vox can link you to our ship. We should arrive approximately two hours after you. Once in orbit, we will be able to provide all the tactical information you require.

Now, prepare yourselves. Our limited armoury is open to you and you shall depart in six hours, report to the docking bays when ready.

Invictus turns and leaves the room, heading to the bridge.

(You each have 30 requistion to spend)

drakir_nosslin
2011-01-05, 12:02 PM
Castelus Vivar

Standing silent next to Lucian, the Lexicanium watches as the captain exits the room before turning back to his brothers. His black armor is adorned with the horned skull of the librarians on the right shoulder plate and he wears a hooded robe with the Dark Angels' winged sword on the back. While the armor is newly painted and lacks any apparent battle scarring, the robe is torn and riddled with dozens of bullet holes. Dark stains of blood from hundreds of dead foes speaks of Castelus abilities in combat. A simple, thick leather belt holds the robe together, from it hangs the Codex in a heavy chain.
When Invictus has left the room he finally joins in on the discussion.
"I know that some of you might not like me, or my powers, but they are a weapon, and should be used as such. But because of that, I'm not suited to lead, so who will be in charge on this mission?"

Essie
2011-01-05, 07:32 PM
Sir Thale, I do not exactly think that it's the size of our armour that's the issue, but rather -

Again, he gestures to the assembled Astartes.

- rather that we're all eight feet tall and carrying automatically firing grenade launchers. I do not know about your chapter, Brother, but the Templars etched themselves rather indelibly into the Tau imagination during the Damocles Gulf Crusade - they know what Astartes are, and know how to react to them. We can be stealthy to begin with, yes - but I doubt that we'll be able to crawl on our bellies directly into the Aun'shas's quarters, and, as such, we'll have to find some way of avoiding it just bolting at the first sound of bolter fire.

The Templar turns to his - oh, please, is he really wearing the robes - Brother Librarian of the Dark Angels. His posture is entirely neutral, and there is no visible distaste or anger in his words.

Sir Invictus, why would we not accept those weapons which are handed to us? If we are to bend the Edict of Nikaea by allowing Libraria to exist in the first place, then I suppose that t'would be a waste to let them lurk behind the front lines.

rb780nm
2011-01-05, 07:58 PM
"I agree with Brother Fortitude, scouts have many uses but assassination missions are not their forte. I would be loathe to enter combat without my full armor. The Ultramarines served in the Damocles Gulf crusade also, and it must be acknowledged that the strange technology of the Tau is hard to fool with subterfuge.

"I would counsel, based upon the teachings of the Primarch in the Codex Astartes, that we..."

knowledge roll (Scholastic, Codex): [roll0] vs 40

I'm hoping that earns me a tip on a possible approach. Drop Pod onto the concourse at the Tau base after an orbital strike is probably not what Roboute would have done, but it would look cool for the round or so we survived.

Pietato
2011-01-05, 08:57 PM
Brother Varkus chuckles quietly, idly scratching at the newly painted armor on his bicep. "Regardless of our approach, we will lack adequate tactical support for our first two hours after landfall." He clears his throat. "That said, I shall bear the role of squad leader should none other wish to."

Donan
2011-01-06, 02:49 AM
The Apothecary nods lightly, studying the others. "I am happy for you to take the leadership position Brother Varkus. I still offer the suggestion that we try to capture the Etheral is possible, but seeing the situation on the planet first is significant."

He taps his chin as he considers. "Regardless of our methods, I have suggestions for what we acquire, although our supplies will be limited. I will leave it in your hands as to what is taken, but first and foremost I suggest a pair of Astartes sniper rifles for those of us with the most skill, a single stummer to quieten our noise, an auspex and scanner and restraints if we intend to take the Xeno intact.

rb780nm
2011-01-06, 08:25 AM
"By all means, brother Varkus," Lucian agrees.

boj0
2011-01-06, 09:09 AM
Tor Redbear thought heavily on the matter; his battle brothers seemed to have far more experience facing the Tau than himself (only a few skirmishes), and the thought of a direct assault seemed appealing to the Space Wolf.

"It seems you have my vote as well, Brother Varkus. May you lead us to a glorious victory!"

With a hearty chuckle, he slaps his fellow on the shoulder and makes his way to the armory.

drakir_nosslin
2011-01-06, 10:33 AM
Castelus Vivar

Smiling, the Librarian looks at Fortitude.
"You surprise me, Kairea. I've never met any of your Chapter Brothers who shared your opinion. But it's never too late to accept the truth, and for that I'm happy."
Turning towards Varkus, he continues.
"Well Varkus since you'll be leading us, would it be acceptable to read the Emperor's Tarot for you? Divination might be able to help us out here, as we lack other sources of intelligence."

Pietato
2011-01-07, 12:42 AM
Varkus nods to the departing Assault Marine as he answers his fellow Dark Angel. "I will take any advantage the God Emperor wishes to bestow upon me, Castelus." He turns to the Apothecary, having scratched through some of the black paint on his arm. "I agree that we should take the Xeno scum alive, but I do not believe that we will have the luxury of engaging our foe in a covert manner."

Donan
2011-01-07, 03:08 AM
Brother Thale nods and swings a heavy door open, revealing a small room where items of a more utilation nature are kept. He inspects the room before gathering several objects. He doesn't focus on weapons, considering his standard equipment to be up to the task.

A harnass is fixed to the back of his armour, a vial of liquid and the injector that goes with it placed in one of the bags for equipment he bears, followed by a small device and a set of restraints. He eyes everal other items around the armoury, but reminds mindful of the need for vital supplies only, and settles to wait for his brothers to make their selections.

He nods at Brother Varkus, bowing his head respectfully. "It will bring honour to us if we can achieve such Squad Leader, and it will be an even greater victory then simply elimanting the Xeno. I have bought what I need to incaptice and restrain him, but I also stand ready with botler and knife if the only outcome is his death.

No matter events, the Xeno will not see the sun rise on this world and will never command his foul forces again." The Apothecary strikes a fist to his left shoulder in a salute.

Astartes Harness: 4
Deadlock (Toxin) and Injector: 13
Restraints: 10
Stummer: 3

drakir_nosslin
2011-01-07, 04:44 AM
Nodding towards Varkus, Vivar reaches into a small pouch hanging from his belt, revealing an old set of the Emperor's Tarot.
"Let us begin then, Squad Leader, and see what the Emperor chooses to reveal."
Kneeling the Lexicanium begins to methodically lay out the cards on the floor. When he is finished he stands and lays a massive hand on Varkus' shoulder.
"Focus on the question: What threat will we face while searching for Aun'shas, our target?"
Closing his eyes, Vivar reaches into the warp, calling for the all-knowing emperor to guide them and protect them. He remains standing, eyes closed, lips moving slightly in a silent prayer as the warp courses through him and into the Tarot. With a shiver he pulls back his mind and opens his eyes.
"Now we shall see what the cards say."
He says and kneels once again, turning the cards one at a time.

Using Augury, fettered. PR rating 2. Focus Power test bonus +10. WP: [roll0] vs. 69. On a success the most dangerous opposition we'll face is determined.

Jatyu
2011-01-07, 07:18 AM
Edit: Whoops! Meant this for the OOC thread, my bad. Now spoilered.

In regards to the Tarot reading. There are very few rules on how to represent it, and what information I should reveal. So I figured I'd tell you the cards and let you interpret them. To be fair I'm going to basically reveal how I have interpreted the reading to work.

There are two things revealed.

The first and second cards are a pair, as are the third and fourth.

I tried to make it guessable without just completely spoiling it.

As a side note, I almost felt like trying to make it say that the "most dangerous opposition" would be yourselves, but I felt that was a bit much of a cliche, and not fitting of the mighty SPEES MAHREENS!

Jatyu
2011-01-07, 07:19 AM
You turn the first card...
A planet being torn and ripped apart. - The Shattered World
Inky blackness, covering whispy red eyes. - The Hidden
A blue skinned figure. - The Alien
A limp body, crushed between giant gears - The Machine

Pietato
2011-01-09, 03:04 AM
Brother Varkus goes about obtaining his equipment and returns to the Librarian when fully loaded out. "What does the tarot say, Castelus?"

drakir_nosslin
2011-01-09, 05:42 AM
Castelus Vivar

Looking at the cards he turned up Castelus frowns and turns towards Varkus.
"I... I'm not sure. I've never seen these cards together before, nor have I heard any of my brothers telling me about a sign like this."
Falling silent for a moment the Librarian ponders the meaning of the cards before continuing.
"Though the machine together with the alien could mean Tyranids, but I cannot say for sure. What the meaning of the other two might be, I do not know."

Donan
2011-01-09, 01:36 PM
Thale nods and eyes the cards himself. "Their meaning isn't clear now, but we should watch for signs around us, remember these cards brothers so we will know when we are witnessing omens of note."

He glances at his brothers. "Are we prepared to deploy? I do not believe we should delay."

rb780nm
2011-01-09, 01:41 PM
"I believe I am all set," says Lucian, indicating the Soundstrike pattern missile launcher and the canisters of krak rounds strapped to his backpack.

boj0
2011-01-09, 03:08 PM
"Ready and able brothers!"

Pietato
2011-01-09, 04:59 PM
"Brothers, it is time. We have our orders, we have our weapons, and we have the Xeno scum in our reach. For what purpose do we fight?"

Oath of the Astartes, +2 Cohesion, Squad Advance, Bolter Assault, Tactical Spacing.

Oath to the Emperor, +10 to Willpower tests, Fire For Effect, Regroup, Strongpoint

Oath of Glory, +1 renown/objective, Tactical Advance, Bolter Assault, Furious Charge.

Oath of Loyalty, +10 to resist Cohesion damage, +1 to Cohesion Challenges, Tactical Spacing, Regroup, Soak Fire

Knowledge would be nice, but these are our options. I suggest we pick one. Unfortunately, I cannot take an oath that gives us Tank Buster, either.
I'm inclined toward Glory and Astartes, as the powers granted keep us moving forward.

Essie
2011-01-09, 06:58 PM
Far be it from us to seek personal aggrandisement ahead of the wholesale slaughter of every Xenos we encounter, but I believe that a mission approach built around a glorious attack, a shock and awe attack, would be the most effective in cowing our enemies.

Fortitude strides over to an awe-inspiringly large crate of ammunition, breaks it open, and grabs a drum of Stalker bolt shells. There's the shock. He then similarly cracks open a crate, selects a meltabomb, its thick carapace pregnant with destructive potential, and hefts it thoughtfully in one power armoured hand. There's the awe.

As well as personal renown and fame, both of which are immaterial and fleeting, a glorious strike at their very heart and head might weaken the Xenos' resolve even more than simply killing the Ethereal would.

Sorry for not posting for a bit. For GLORY, by the way.

drakir_nosslin
2011-01-11, 10:22 AM
Castelus Vivar

Returning the Tarot to his pouch, the Libarian heads quickly into the armory. There he straps on a jump pack and picks up a couple of grenades which he fastens in his belt. Just as he is about to leave a small object catches his eye. It's a heavy necklace made out of pieces of armor and weapons taken from enemies members of the Deathwatch has defeated before him. Smiling, Castelus hangs the trinket around his neck before he returns into the other room.
"I stand ready to leave when ordered. And I agree with Fortitude here. A glorious assault would not only prove the Emperor's strength in the area, but show the xenos what weak creatures they are compared to the servants of the Empire, no matter where they face us."

For glory and the Emperor!

Donan
2011-01-11, 01:14 PM
"Then we should make this a day to remember Brothers! One the Xenos will curse at and the Deathwatch will cheer for! For glory, for the Emperor!"

Oath of glory!