PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Swiftblade build advice

tuesdayscoming
2011-01-04, 12:55 AM
Working on a pet character. The build as is is as follows:

Stalwart Battle Sorcerer 6 (Variants from CM and UA, respectively)
Swiftblade (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327) 10
Spelldancer 1 (MoF for Persistent Haste)

The build is a bit feat intensive, requiring Dodge, Mobility, Combat Casting, Endurance, and Persistent Spell. Assuming I go human and don't take flaws, that leaves 3 feats free at level 20. I do, thankfully, get Spring Attack and Bounding Assault from Swiftblade, though.

So I have a few questions:
* What should I do with my extra feats?
* What do I take with the last three levels? Abjurant Champion, perhaps?
* Is there an easier way to be able to Persist my Haste? I really only need to be able to do so once/day thanks to Swiftblade's Fortified Haste. I do like the flavor of the Spelldancer, but the cost (2 feats and 6 cross-class ranks in Perform: Dance) is pretty harsh.

Thanks as always, Playground!

Greenish
2011-01-04, 01:13 AM
Working on a pet character. The build as is is as follows:

Stalwart Battle Sorcerer 6 (Variants from CM and UA, respectively)Why do you hate spells known so much? :smallamused:

Stalwart isn't terrible alone, getting you martial weapon proficiency, but Battle Sorcerer… Well, you give up a huge deal for 1 BAB.

tuesdayscoming
2011-01-04, 01:21 AM
Why do you hate spells known so much? :smallamused:

Stalwart isn't terrible alone, getting you martial weapon proficiency, but Battle Sorcerer… Well, you give up a huge deal for 1 BAB.

Hmm, perhaps you're right and I shouldn't take battle... I was doing so mainly for the HD bump, but as I'm only taking six levels anyways, it would only come out to an average of 12 hp gained... Nice, but not huge.

Draz74
2011-01-04, 01:22 AM
* What should I do with my extra feats?
As long as you have to have Dodge and Mobility anyway, you should at least take advantage of them as prerequisites and pick up Elusive Target and maybe Karmic Strike.

Also, there are three other feats that count as Dodge for prerequisites, and are situationally better: Expeditious Dodge (RotW), Midnight Dodge (MoI), and Desert Wind Dodge (ToB). I'd probably suggest the first one for a Swiftblade, since you'll easily have the speed to move 40+ feet when hasted.

Note: You can also get Mobility via an armor enhancement. But I don't really like having all my PrC features depend on my equipment, so I don't really recommend it.

* What do I take with the last three levels? Abjurant Champion, perhaps?

I can't help but notice that Dodge and Mobility would just about get you into Elocator, if you're psionic. Wilder 2 / Elocator 1 to snag Scorn Earth? :smallbiggrin:

Just kidding, you're obviously better off with something that advances your spellcasting. Abjurant Champion sounds pretty ideal.

gbprime
2011-01-04, 01:25 AM
* Is there an easier way to be able to Persist my Haste? I really only need to be able to do so once/day thanks to Swiftblade's Fortified Haste. I do like the flavor of the Spelldancer, but the cost (2 feats and 6 cross-class ranks in Perform: Dance) is pretty harsh.

Well, you could instead spend those 2 feats on Arcane Thesis (Haste) and Invisible Spell or Sanctum Spell. Arcane thesis reduces metamagic modifiers on the chosen spell by 1, but has no lower limit. So Invisible is -1 and Persistant is +5, Netting a +4 adjustment, allowing you to cast it with a 7th level spell slot.

Better, but not awesome.

There's three levels of Incantatrix too, but I don't think it will work in this case. They can add a metamagic effect to an ongoing spell, but Haste for you is an Extraordinary effect at that point, not a spell per se.

tuesdayscoming
2011-01-04, 02:25 AM
Thank you much, everyone, useful stuff here!

As long as you have to have Dodge and Mobility anyway, you should at least take advantage of them as prerequisites and pick up Elusive Target and maybe Karmic Strike.

Also, there are three other feats that count as Dodge for prerequisites, and are situationally better: Expeditious Dodge (RotW) [etc.].... I'd probably suggest the first one for a Swiftblade, since you'll easily have the speed to move 40+ feet when hasted.

Expeditious Dodge sounds great for this guy! Granted, less so before Swiftblade 9, but after that it's gold.

With Spring Attack, constant Haste, and the extra action from Swiftblade 9, I can enter combat, full attack, and still have movement left to flee. Blurry-fast, magic-fueled guerilla tactics are a wonderful thing. But I wonder if my damage potential is going to be high enough as is, or if I should take some combination of offensive feats instead of progressing further down the Dodge/Mobility chain.

Well, you could instead spend those 2 feats on Arcane Thesis (Haste) and Invisible Spell or Sanctum Spell. Arcane thesis reduces metamagic modifiers on the chosen spell by 1, but has no lower limit. So Invisible is -1 and Persistant is +5, Netting a +4 adjustment, allowing you to cast it with a 7th level spell slot.

Is negative metamagic strictly legal? I've seen some builds that use it to great advantage, but it seems kinda cheesy. Also, Persistent Spell is +6 normally, IIRC? So +5 after the negative adjustment, even so.

Nice catch on the difficulties of using Incantatrix. I hadn't thought of the class yet, but if I had I don't think I'd have picked up on the problem.

2xMachina
2011-01-04, 03:00 AM

Also, there are three other feats that count as Dodge for prerequisites, and are situationally better: Expeditious Dodge (RotW), Midnight Dodge (MoI), and Desert Wind Dodge (ToB). I'd probably suggest the first one for a Swiftblade, since you'll easily have the speed to move 40+ feet when hasted.

Note: You can also get Mobility via an armor enhancement. But I don't really like having all my PrC features depend on my equipment, so I don't really recommend it.

I can't help but notice that Dodge and Mobility would just about get you into Elocator, if you're psionic. Wilder 2 / Elocator 1 to snag Scorn Earth? :smallbiggrin:

Just kidding, you're obviously better off with something that advances your spellcasting. Abjurant Champion sounds pretty ideal.

Karmic strike... I prefer Robilar's. They don't need to hit you.
You have 50% miss chance. Each time you try, I hit you back once.