PDA

View Full Version : Magebane

Loki Eremes
2011-01-04, 01:26 AM
Im talking about the +1 weapon enchantment from complete arcane.
Is really worth it?

im lvl 16 by now and the party is going to visit the underdark.
I know all drows have spell like abilities and a good part of them are casters.

But the main attraction of this campaing are aberrations, and i dont know them too much to know how many of them had spells or spell like abilities.

Is it a good investment?

extra info: I wield twin scimitars, what it means i have to enchant two weapons.

gbprime
2011-01-04, 01:40 AM
At LEAST 50% of your foes in a high level campaign have spell like abilities. And I may be underestimating that. Magebane is a great +1 enhancement.

Loki Eremes
2011-01-04, 02:19 AM
thx, as i dont have much experience DM nor using Monsters, i was afraid of things like aberrations not having spells or spell like abilities. :smallredface:

Crow
2011-01-04, 07:26 AM
Hell, I always considered Magebane to be a bit OP compared to similar enchantments. At higher levels, it's just that good. Especially as a cheap enchantment at epic, since epic (+6 and better enhancement) weapons are so dang expensive.

hamishspence
2011-01-04, 07:54 AM
Does "effective enhancement bonus" count as "enhancement bonus" for the purposes of epic damage reduction?

If so- then a +4 or +5 Magebane weapon will remain useful in epic games- since it would count as an epic weapon against monsters with spells or SLAs, and epic DR.

Skaven
2011-01-04, 08:34 AM
What book is this in and what does it do? I'm drawing a blank.. never seen it used or used it in any games i've played.

Is it literally just bane vs things with SLA's / Spells?

Foryn Gilnith
2011-01-04, 08:36 AM
Hell, I always considered Magebane to be a bit OP compared to similar enchantments.

Wasn't it nerfed in Magic Item Compendium?

Zeta Kai
2011-01-04, 08:38 AM
Magebane is dirt cheap for what it offers, & is demonstably better than a +1 to attack/damage, IMO. If it's allowed in your game, snatch it up, as any game that uses CArc is going to feature some spell-slinging opponents.

Greenish
2011-01-04, 08:47 AM
Wasn't it nerfed in Magic Item Compendium?Yeah, it no longer works against enemies with SLAs, only against those with spells or invocations.

Vistella
2011-01-04, 09:09 AM
Does "effective enhancement bonus" count as "enhancement bonus" for the purposes of epic damage reduction?

Sage says no

hamishspence
2011-01-04, 09:12 AM
It does make sense that allowing it would make Bane weapons just a little too good.